MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
Two things worth noting direct from Cadillac's President.

On the XLR.

EDIT: He also talked about Cadillac Racing expanding (look at his brand history) but that answer has since been deleted.
Well we know that there will be 3 Corvette powered Cadillac DPi's in IMSA next year, so the racing expansion bit is true.

The rumor is a mid engined Corvette placed above the regular FR Corvette in the lineup

And the only problem with that, as far as I can tell, is that the Camaro is near enough as quick as the Corvette. Granted, I think that rumor is more than likely true. Unless GM has a magical way to produce an MR Corvette than can still retail for under $60k, abandoning the traditional layout and "value" will cede a lot of potential sales away.

Mid-Engine Corvette C8 Coming In 2019, Plug-In Hybrid Version Reportedly Planned

General Motors is planning to replace the Corvette C7 with a mid-engine model in early 2019, according to Detroit News which cites multiple sources familiar with the company’s planning.

These sources revealed that the new mid-engine Corvette will eventually be the only Corvette produced, with one of them saying that the current front-engine C7 generation will continue production through 2021.

The hybrid rumors have been a long time coming, though. Seems to me that those rumors of the E-Ray went back to 2010 or so, and probably would have adapted the hybrid system used in the pickups and SUVs of the era. I'm still a fan of the idea to use a hybrid system in a Corvette, albeit, an reasonably unobtrusive one. If that means putting electric motors in the front wheels, I think they're missing the point.

The hybrid rumors have been a long time coming, though. Seems to me that those rumors of the E-Ray went back to 2010 or so, and probably would have adapted the hybrid system used in the pickups and SUVs of the era. I'm still a fan of the idea to use a hybrid system in a Corvette, albeit, an reasonably unobtrusive one. If that means putting electric motors in the front wheels, I think they're missing the point.

If this is the case they all but plan to keep the base a FR version and then probably run one super car version of that, with the MR being along the lines of what Porsche does with 911s when they do the Turbo and GT2/3.

If that's the case I can easily live with that. My only hope is that they actually go with a DOHC V8 so they can actually qualify with in TT restrictions for GTE. If not I really don't see what layout will do to benefit them if they stick with the 5.5 push rod.

Mid-Engine Corvette C8 Coming In 2019, Plug-In Hybrid Version Reportedly Planned
So the C8 will be sold alongside the C7 for a few years? Never thought of that, but that seems reasonable. The C7 run would otherwise be pretty short compared to most other Corvette gens. Also, it's funny they mention the NSX, cause I remember when Honda was considering making a front engine NSX successor. But all we got out of that was the HSV-010 race car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/12/2019-mid-engine-chevy-corvette-details/

c8midengine-01-kgp-ed-1.jpg

I can't see them doing so; this is likely something that will be just 1 step-above the ZR1, likely going after the Ford GT. The Corvette brand is far too iconic to drop its FR platform.
Read the article - they seem to want to stop the FR platform after a few years.

Read the article - they seem to want to stop the FR platform after a few years.
The source is from Detroit News. I'll believe it when I see it, just like Jalopnik or whoever believing the Corvette will magically jump from a base of $55,000 to $80,000. Completely kills the bang-for-buck & motto the Corvette has adopted over its life.

I wonder if Pratt & Miller will use the MR Corvette as the C8R when it comes to existence.

It's still myth status to me until they actually unveil it.
My suspicion had been that P&M and GM saw the new GTE regs and how MR is the way to go, and decided to me a low volume version of the Corvette in a MR platform to trounce on the GT at Le Mans and in IMSA.

Now I'm just depressed they want to make the Corvette an MR car and inevitability increase its price tag. :indiff:

Possible Mid-Engine Corvette to Possibly not get Manual Transmission

Who knows outside of GM whether this is true or not, but I find that this is getting a bit more ridiculous by the day IMO. Seems like they could keep the FR platform and market it more as a Grand Tourer luxury coupe/vert and have the MR platform be the top end high-performance Ferrari fighter.
Pull a Hyundai and have a separate brand then. Corvette GS/Z06 are FR GT's and the ZR1 (or whatever) as the mid engine car.

That would certainly make sense, and it would mean that they wouldn't have to worry about the Camaro stepping on the Corvette's toes, so to speak. Of course, that may be the reason in the first place for changing the Corvette over to MR, the Camaro is pretty much becoming the new Corvette in both price and performance and is also a FR configuration.

That would certainly make sense, and it would mean that they wouldn't have to worry about the Camaro stepping on the Corvette's toes, so to speak. Of course, that may be the reason in the first place for changing the Corvette over to MR, the Camaro is pretty much becoming the new Corvette in both price and performance and is also a FR configuration.
Heck its starting to look like a Corvette in some ways. It'd be nice because we could still have the $50,000 Corvette, and then the $100,000 (or whatever) MR supercar slayer.

Back