MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
Over 120 C8's waiting to be crushed after being damaged by the tornado earlier this month.

I was home in Dayton but I don't recall these storms. What I do know is that nobody expects tornados in December lol.

E-Ray burnt down while testing in Europe. No one was hurt

1659114278092.png

1659114287823.png

1659114300941.png

The fiery incident took place while the E-Ray was being tested in southern Europe.

It certainly must've been a violent fire as it even partially melted the wheels. We know from Motor.es that it was one of the two prototypes in the custody of Bosch, and they were the ones who initially noticed it had some technical issues. A day before burning to a crisp, the mid-engined hybrid machine doing its best Ferrari impression had smoke coming out its rear. It was at that point the engineers noticed the car was leaking oil.

It didn't take too long for the prototype to lose the freshly added oil yet again. Some 24 hours ago later, things went south quickly as the C8 caught fire and it was too late to save it. Whatever the teething problems it may have, these should be ironed out before Chevy begins series production of the first-ever Corvette to have an electric motor.

Based on the spyshots of it being tested I figured it would sound good, but I wasn't expecting this.

I mean there's so much to go over with this thing, but it's the first time a Corvette has really gripped me like this since the C6 Z06 17 years ago. This thing would be impressive at any price point below $200k, but even being in the neighborhood of $100k is just wild.

Just a shame it had to come in the era of "Market Adjustment Fees" and you probably won't see one for less than $200k unless you've got some seriously heinous dirt on someone who owns a dealer.

Based on the spyshots of it being tested I figured it would sound good, but I wasn't expecting this.

I mean there's so much to go over with this thing, but it's the first time a Corvette has really gripped me like this since the C6 Z06 17 years ago. This thing would be impressive at any price point below $200k, but even being in the neighborhood of $100k is just wild.

Just a shame it had to come in the era of "Market Adjustment Fees" and you probably won't see one for less than $200k unless you've got some seriously heinous dirt on someone who owns a dealer.

Actually, a dealer just got blasted for marking up the car $90K in August, and backtracked quickly noting all owners with orders in the system & future buyers will get their cars at MSRP.

That likely won't be the case for many, although here in Texas, 4-5 Chevy dealers in the Southern region agreed to charge no more than $20K over sticker.

Last edited:

I really love the way this looks, and I don't even like the look of the base C8.

I think its a nice return to form for the Z06 brand after a disappointing (IMO) C7 generation, which to me felt like it lost the plot. But at the same time I struggle to be interested. I think I would rather a normal stingray with a manual gearbox and a facelift. More like an asslift. The C8 is just an awkward ponderous looking car sadly.

Anyone else feel like the rate of acceleration indicated on the speedometer doesn't quite match the power figures? I'm curious to know what these dyno and also how much they weigh. I would love to see one of these in a race with a 458 Italia, because those cars always looked absolutely rapid - this doesn't quite, somehow.

Last edited:
Insanely in-depth technical look into the Z06 by Savage Geese where he talks to chief engineers about the decisions they made and the minute details of the engine, cooling, suspension, exhaust, etc

Really intrigued by the strakes underneath the front of the car. They're there for the same reason as on the current F1 cars, firstly creating vortices off their leading edges and then pulling the vortices to the side along their wing-like curvature. Really cool to see the pressure maps showing how they're working. I'm glad to see GM doing effective underbody aero, although their transmission and exhaust packaging hasn't left much room for bigger venturis and diffusers at the rear. I wish they'd switch up the exhaust packaging, raise it higher like the exotics, then enhance the aero at the rear. The ZR1 will probably require that, else it'll look ridiculous like the Viper ACR. Hypercar performance requires hypercar efficiency.

Last edited:
A youtuber (that I find so irritating I won't even embed the video) has achieved a 10.51 ET @ 130mph for the C8 Z06. It's half a second faster than a 458 Italia, but somehow 4mph slower...even though it has 100hp more. Those cars could run about 10.90 ET @ 134mph. I'm kind of surprised to see the 130mph trap speed from a car with 670hp. If they were going for the "clinical speed" of a GT2, they are not even in the same ballpark. Those cars will do well over 140mph in the 1/4 mile, and run deep into the 9s with just drag tires.

edit: Apparently a stock C6 Z06 in ideal conditions could hit 128mph in the 1/4 mile. The C8 Z06 has 170 more hp (allegedly), is mid-engined, and has a dual clutch gearbox...and it does 130mph? Something is seriously up with those numbers or the C8 Z06 is really heavy. I'm betting they don't put down more than 520hp at the wheels.

A youtuber (that I find so irritating I won't even embed the video) has achieved a 10.51 ET @ 130mph for the C8 Z06. It's half a second faster than a 458 Italia, but somehow 4mph slower...even though it has 100hp more. Those cars could run about 10.90 ET @ 134mph. I'm kind of surprised to see the 130mph trap speed from a car with 670hp. If they were going for the "clinical speed" of a GT2, they are not even in the same ballpark. Those cars will do well over 140mph in the 1/4 mile, and run deep into the 9s with just drag tires.

edit: Apparently a stock C6 Z06 in ideal conditions could hit 128mph in the 1/4 mile. The C8 Z06 has 170 more hp (allegedly), is mid-engined, and has a dual clutch gearbox...and it does 130mph? Something is seriously up with those numbers or the C8 Z06 is really heavy. I'm betting they don't put down more than 520hp at the wheels.
500 pounds heavier than the 458 Italia: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-chevrolet-corvette-z06-first-test-review/

Considering the C7 Z06's quarter mile, that doesn't seem too bad. 11.2 @ 127 MPH with 650 HP:

Okay. Finally got to see a C8. Was gunmetal grey, had the Corvette Racing skull where a Ferrari emblem would be. ;)

I liked. Looked cool. No more hate from me. 👍

How did we miss the fact that GM is hard at work developing the Corvette Z06 GT3 for 2024? They've released renders on their website but the car in this video has some obvious differences. The real car seems to be testing a traditional gooseneck rear wing mount while the render has a rear-mounted gooseneck...I don't even know if there's a name for that honestly.

Unlike Ferrari and Porsche who have already been involved in GT3, there isn't much info yet on the Corvette.

2021-corvette-gt3r-01.jpg

Another thing we can see is that the widebody aspects of the car are much more integrated into the body shape, rather than the fender flare extensions that looked tacked onto GTLM cars.

I don't doubt it at all. I personally think it's a bit of a stretch for Corvette in comparison to Mustang, due to the lack of model variation and heavier emphasis on performance. Since its inception, the Mustang has had cheap and plentiful base models whereas the Corvette has always been something to strive to, like a Cadillac. It makes a ton of sense to me for Mustang to be a brand, or at least a family, like Bronco, than it does for Corvette, especially considering Cadillac currentlly occupies a luxury-performance spot and is still trying hard to compete with Europeans.

A four-door sports sedan Mustang makes sense because Ford can't pull that off and Lincoln is not a peformance brand. But a four-door sports sedan Corvette? That's Cadillac's realm. Corvette is supposed to be a pure performance and motorsports name, and while it's not particularly premium it's certainly not for Everyman. A Mustang brand makes me excited but this just feels wrong.

A Corvette SUV seems weird. I get performance SUVs, and I don't hate the idea of a 670hp flat-plane V8 stuffed under the hood of one, but the styling cues of a Corvette don't seem like they'd transfer well to a big vehicle. Just shove the engine into an Escalade and call it a day.

It would have been easier for Corvette to segway the brand into other areas if they'd stayed as front-engined. I know the C8 is an unhappy-looking mid, they tried to copy and paste the C7 styling onto a different shape and it just doesn't sit right. But now they'll have to do that to an SUV or four-door coupe.

I've seen enough Mach-Es on British roads now to pass comment that it has zero presence. The Kuga actually looks better. The svelteness that makes the Mach-E appear sporty in photos (especially the curated press photos) doesn't translate in the flesh, it just looks un-muscular.

A Urus-like Vette SUV won't cut it, they'll have to reel-in the practicality and go full Purosangue if they want it to actually resemble a Corvette.

The europeans are all at it, i can certainly see why GM wants a piece of that pie. You can't blame them for that.

That pic of the SUV in the background, reminds me of the Lamborghini SUV. The public would most likely accept such a Corvette variant.

More images and information here

Is Chevrolet’s new Corvette ERAY coming sooner rather than later? The big news dropping late Friday afternoon is the 2024 Corvette ERAY has been captured on the Visualizer, which not only gives us our first look at how it will look, the leak also details the new exterior and interior colors for 2024.

Chevrolet’s next version of the C8 Corvette following the Z06 has long been expected to be the ERAY, a widebody mid-engine powered by the LT2 V8 with electric assist motors on the front axles. The first visualizer renderings show the same Z06 widebody however, all the trim is in body color. The ERAY name appears on the lower rear quarter panel, and we see the car has the outboard corner-mounted exhaust.

The ERAY model will have a ZER Performance Package, but we have no idea what that will include. I can see the underside strakes on the car with the ZER package selected. There is also the opportunity to select the painted and Visible Carbon Fiber Wheels. As for the wheel designs, there are four 5-spoke aluminum wheels and three carbon fiber designs.

The link to the ERAY Visualizer has been taken down, but we did get an official statement from a Chevrolet representative that said, “Looks like the holidays came early for a few astute Corvette fans. Stay tuned for more.”

1670611941037.png

1670611946810.png

1670611953847.png

1670611962539.png

1670611971654.png

This photo below comes from the MidEngineCorvetteForum.com by the original poster and it’s the most significant pic yet as it shows the ReGen on Demand button that allows the regenerative brake system to capture the energy produced when braking and convert it back into charging the batteries. Regen On Demand is also known as “one-pedal driving” as it allows the driver to brake without using the brake pedal as it’s engaged whenever the accelerator pedal is released. Unfortunately, that other button has been identified as an “Auto Start-Stop Button.”

even worse
Excuse me?

I personally hate color matched. The whole point of the black areas is to reduce mass and provide contrast. Rich people and their color matched everything are absolutel tasteless.

Last edited:
For the sake of completeness

E-Ray officially revealed

2024-chevrolet-corvette-e-ray.jpg

The 2024 Chevrolet Corvette E-Ray debuts as the first-ever electrified model of the iconic sports car. With its electric motor and 6.2-liter V8, the hybrid model has a total output of 665 horsepower (481 kilowatts). Chevy claims the E-Ray can reach 60 miles per hour (96 kilometers per hour) in 2.5 seconds, making it the quickest production 'Vette ever. The sprint through the quarter-mile reportedly takes 10.5 seconds at a speed of 130 mph (209 kph).

On its front axle, the E-Ray has an electric motor making 160 hp (120 kW) and 125 pound-feet (165 Newton-meters). A 1.9-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery powers the system. In Stealth Mode, the hybrid Corvette can drive without running the V8 at up to 45 mph (72 kph). Chevy positions this setting as being for things like quietly exiting a neighborhood.

The combustion engine powertrain component is the familiar LT2 6.2-liter V8 from the Stingray. It makes 495 hp (369 kW) and 470 lb-ft (637 Nm) in this application. The E-Ray also has a new lightweight 12-volt lithium-ion battery that powers the ICE's stop-start system.

Beyond the new powertrain, the E-Ray has other features to make it special. The Magnetic Ride Control 4.0 suspension system comes standard. All of them also get Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes. This Corvette rides on Michelin Pilot Sport all-season tires with a staggered 20- and 21-inch size. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summer rubber is an optional upgrade.

In terms of design, the E-Ray is 3.6 inches (9.14 centimeters) wider than the standard Stingray. It boasts a different front fascia with more prominent horizontal elements. At the back, there are new vents in the bumper.

The E-Ray will go on sale later this year. Chevy won't provide an exact date, but the 2024 model year will likely mean an arrival in the second half of 2023. Pricing will start at $104,295 for the 1LZ coupe and $111,295 for the 1LZ convertible. Both figures are before the destination fee because that cost isn't available yet.

I agree, the body match panels make the car look really ugly

Man to think that 2 years ago when this car was unveiled I called it ugly.:crazy: And today its one of my favorite cars ever with the c8r being my favorite race car ever.

Just goes to show never judge a car to early I guess. :)

The gray looks boring. I like the blue, but with color matched vents the rear quarter looks like another car went into it, or one of those trailers that looks like the car was tacked on.

Back