MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
I thought it was I fly too, until I saw the one on the street. Might look alright with all panels in one Color. The right Color.

Last edited:
Wow, this is just ghastly. Far too much yellow, nothing to contrast it.

1674075155664.png

Last edited:
What confuses me is that the coupe has a removable roof, so why have a convertible version?
You've got it backwards. With how much of a joke the solution GM came up with for storing the roof of the coupe when it is off is, why would you buy a coupe unless you're a tightwad?

Speaking of the Corvette, here's a thread about it! Wow.

Here's another video of the C8 GT3-R during the Sebring test a month ago, this time being benchmarked against the GTE car which is still racing this year. The two cars sound different with the GT3 car having a slightly higher pitched exhaust. I'm not sure what in the rules would cause this. Speed difference seems negligible but it also seems like the GTE car catches up over the course of several laps.

We can also see (and hear) the Garage 56 NASCAR testing. It looks to have slower corner speeds than the GT cars but noticably quicker acceleration. And what a considerably noise coming out of that thing, damn. It'll be amazing at Le Mans.

Here's Jordan Taylor himself breaking down some of the action.

God bless GM for continuing to develop their V8.

Last edited:
Wonder how many lumens those headlights are pumping out. I find it mildly humorous that the race car replaces the "because race car" vents on either side of the central grill with something more useful for endurance racing. Looks cool too.

Last edited:
Wonder how many lumens those headlights are pumping out. I find it mildly humorous that the race car replaces the "because race car" vents on either side of the central grill with something more useful for endurance racing. Looks cool too.
I thought this was funny too so I decided to look into it. It seems like the front radiators are for the AC condenser (source from corvette forums) and on the C8.R, and I assume the same for the new GT3, all the radiators are moved to the frunk, which isn't needed for the race car (source from motorsport.com).

Changes from the road-going version of the C8 include the R-model using the front storage compartment to contain a single centrally-mounted radiator, while extra-bright headlights are situated where the production car’s radiators are located.

So the vents aren't "because race car" but "because road car" and a trunk for groceries is more important

I thought this was funny too so I decided to look into it. It seems like the front radiators are for the AC condenser (source from corvette forums) and on the C8.R, and I assume the same for the new GT3, all the radiators are moved to the frunk, which isn't needed for the race car (source from motorsport.com).

So the vents aren't "because race car" but "because road car" and a trunk for groceries is more important
This is by far the best looking C8 I've seen. Wish they would translate more of this onto the road car somehow.

The E-Ray is 0.1 sec quicker than the Z06 in a quarter mile due to its AWD electric launch

Also, neither Ferrari (expected) and Lamborghini declined to let them use press cars for the video. Hilariously, Lamborghini representative said "our customers don't care about straight line speed".

They teased the next episode where they'll test the C8 Z06, 992 GT3 RS, and M4 CSL around Willow Springs

I would be legitimately impressed if the Z06 can keep up with the GT3 RS around Big Willow, which is seemingly purpose made for high downforce cars.

The E-ray pounding the Huracan and F8 in a drag race is not really surprising...it's basically designed to rip off acceleration runs like that. I can't help but feel the 296 GTB would be a more fitting competitor. As far as Lamborghini declining to participate...well of course they would decline. As a manufacturer, why would you participate in a comparison you know you'll lose - it's not as if the video was some kind of well rounded review - it was just a drag race against a car that is faster in a drag race. Not much to gain by throwing your hat in the ring.

Last edited:
Apologies for the double post, but this is the first comparison I've seen from a non-US publication:

Also an honest* video of a Huracan and a Z06 in a simple drag race, with the results I actually expected...unlike some videos out there..

Some of the initial C8 Z06 "Hype" videos I felt were uncomfortably GM-friendly if not outright paid promotions, which felt especially egregious considering those were the only viewpoints around for quite a while. The Top Gear one feels about right to me and with a pretty neutral perspective.

*The Emelia Hartford video of the Z06 and Huracan felt incredibly disingenuous with jump cuts disguising huge starting advantages, clear sandbagging or in the very least horrible driving on the part of the Huracan driver.

*The Emelia Hartford video of the Z06 and Huracan felt incredibly disingenuous with jump cuts disguising huge starting advantages, clear sandbagging or in the very least horrible driving on the part of the Huracan driver.
She literally works for GM so obviously that's not to be trusted. But she did visit Dayton to pick up her Forgelines in person so she gets two thumbs up from me.

She literally works for GM so obviously that's not to be trusted. But she did visit Dayton to pick up her Forgelines in person so she gets two thumbs up from me.
I did not know that, and it kind of makes it worse. It's just disappointing to me that GM relied on such promotion for the new Z, as if they weren't confident unbiased reviews would be favorable and so they put them in the hands of softball influencers literally months before anyone with journalistic integrity. Definitely not a good look for GM, IMO, which is sad because I think the car is pretty damn respectable (though way too friggin' heavy). The C6Z and C7Z could go toe to toe (outright performance-wise) with the du-jour Ferrari of the time (The F430 & 458, respectively). But the C8Z is miles behind the F8/296 and realistically short of a Huracan as well (numbers wise), which I think was going to prove an unpalatable comparison for GM, even if the Corvette is a relative bargain. Recognizing that, and needing some kind of "supercar killer" hype anyways, our first video of the C6Z doing anything is a race against a clapped out 458 and a Huracan being driven intentionally badly. But the car does stand on its own merits as evidenced by the Top Gear video, so it was kind of unnecessary. Did GM think they were not going to be able to sell the Z? I don't get it. Even the base C8 has been selling out.

JayEmm didn't much like the base C8 at all when he reviewed it, but he sounded hopeful that the Z06 would be better when he can get ahold of one.

Be interesting to see his take one it whenever that may be.

JayEmm didn't much like the base C8 at all when he reviewed it, but he sounded hopeful that the Z06 would be better when he can get ahold of one.

Be interesting to see his take one it whenever that may be.

This guy could literally be Jeremy Clarkson's son.

I did not know that, and it kind of makes it worse. It's just disappointing to me that GM relied on such promotion for the new Z, as if they weren't confident unbiased reviews would be favorable and so they put them in the hands of softball influencers literally months before anyone with journalistic integrity. Definitely not a good look for GM, IMO, which is sad because I think the car is pretty damn respectable (though way too friggin' heavy). The C6Z and C7Z could go toe to toe (outright performance-wise) with the du-jour Ferrari of the time (The F430 & 458, respectively). But the C8Z is miles behind the F8/296 and realistically short of a Huracan as well (numbers wise), which I think was going to prove an unpalatable comparison for GM, even if the Corvette is a relative bargain. Recognizing that, and needing some kind of "supercar killer" hype anyways, our first video of the C6Z doing anything is a race against a clapped out 458 and a Huracan being driven intentionally badly. But the car does stand on its own merits as evidenced by the Top Gear video, so it was kind of unnecessary. Did GM think they were not going to be able to sell the Z? I don't get it. Even the base C8 has been selling out.
I think the goal was to appeal to a different generation and to the aftermarket...there aren't many 55 year olds watching Emilia's channel yet they're the only ones who can afford a Z06. It's more about connecting with youthful car culture. And selling Forgelines built here in Dayton.

The C8.R has been revealed at the Daytona 24

2024-chevrolet-corvette-z06-gt3.r-race-car.jpg

Quoting these pictures because somehow I missed it. They changed a ton of details from their renders.

Also, as of today Pratt & Miller are officially unofficially continuining the Corvette Racing heritage. They were the operators of the Chevy factor effort anyway so may as well keep a good thing going into the GT3 era.

Edit: Ahem, Pratt Miller. PMM for short.

Last edited:

2024 Chevrolet Corvette pricing* (Australia):

C8 Stingray 2LT Coupe (a)$175,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 2LT Convertible (a)$190,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 3LT Coupe (a)$190,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 3LT Convertible (a)$205,000(+$5000)
Z06 3LZ Coupe (a)$336,000New variant
Corvette E-Ray (a)TBA

*Includes GST and LCT, excludes on-road costs.

2024 Chevrolet Corvette pricing* (New Zealand):

C8 Stingray 2LT Coupe (a)$185,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 2LT Convertible (a)$200,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 3LT Coupe (a)$200,000(+$5000)
C8 Stingray 3LT Convertible (a)$215,000(+$5000)
Z06 3LZ Coupe (a)$346,000New variant
Corvette E-Ray (a)TBA

*Includes GST, excludes on-road costs.

The C8.R has been revealed at the Daytona 24

THIS looks sweeeett!!! :cool:

I am aching to have this and newer Racecars in GT7, the lineup is old and stagnent, I wanna make custom lemans races with gt3, gt4 and newer LMP1 racecars using SPA & Lemans. PD should add more racecars to upcoming updates leading up to the end of the year.

ZR1 at the Nurburgring

First, that giant wing at the back looks different than the spoilers seen on all previous prototypes. It has a different design and size compared to the Z06 specification wings which test cars photographed in the US were equipped with. It's worth pointing out that one of the prototypes at the 'Ring still has the more curved Z06 wing. Also, the prototypes on the Nurburgring have Michelin Pilot Sport tires on all four corners.

Another change compared to the Z06 can be seen on the rear fenders. There's a pair of new air intakes above the rear wheels, as well as two other inlets sitting on the panel that covers the engine bay. Additionally, you can also see new intakes on the front hood.

For now, it seems that the front fascia of the Corvette ZR1 has an almost identical design to the Z06, aside from the section above the center grille where the gloss black bar appears to be missing. At the back, we could not find any changes compared to the Z06, including its most prominent feature – the quad exhaust pipe layout in the center of the rear diffuser.

Those pipes are probably connected to a 5.5-liter V8 engine. In the Z06 where it is naturally aspirated, this unit generates 670 horsepower. In the new ZR1, the V8 is expected to gain a pair of turbochargers bringing that output to somewhere around 850 hp, according to different sources. The only available transmission choice will reportedly be an eight-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

1696958002704.png

1696958016565.png

1696958026582.png

1696958047370.png

1696958057692.png

Gotta say, I think Chevy has done a poor job of packaging the rear lower body and exhaust. I don't think they've given enough priority to underbody aero and diffusers. Once they start aiming for Ferrari with this car they're going to need all the aero efficiency they can get.

Gotta say, I think Chevy has done a poor job of packaging the rear lower body and exhaust. I don't think they've given enough priority to underbody aero and diffusers. Once they start aiming for Ferrari with this car they're going to need all the aero efficiency they can get.
Can't route the exhaust up high because that's where the golf clubs go.

I used to think numbers-chasing exotic cars became boring because they were just toys for the uber rich. I would like to thank GM for producing a vehicle that makes me realize that affordable numbers chasing supercars are still boring.

Back