Mr. Yamauchi - A question about a PC version of GT7.

Johnnypenso

Well known double poster
Premium
Canada
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Johnnypenso
Dear Mr. Yamauchi,

Now that the PS3 era is coming to a close and the PS4 comes with an x86 architecture simlar to a PC, it opens up the relatively easy possibility of the GT series being ported to the PC world of gaming. Is this something you have considered and if so, why or why would you not pursue this idea?

Well technically the PS4 is a computer of sorts, it's kinda personal so it's a personal computer, a PC. Your question is now answered.

This is what happens when you study Interpretation of Statutes for 4 hours.

PD is owned by Sony -> Sony wants to sell PS4s -> consumers want good exclusives to buy PS4s -> GT is a good Sony exclusive -> GT will not come to PC.
So people will refuse to buy consoles because GT is also available on PC? Not sure how that works.

Weelllll...... Yeah, both are right. It depends on how resource heavy it is on a high-end computer.

Then, you have to deal with the development of 2 processes. (Probably, at least, but then there is PCars.... So.... shrug....)

Weelllll...... Yeah, both are right. It depends on how resource heavy it is on a high-end computer.

Then, you have to deal with the development of 2 processes. (Probably, at least, but then there is PCars.... So.... shrug....)
PCars was able to develop the game simultaneously for PC, XBone, Wii and PS4 with about 1/15th the budget of GT5. For PD it should be a walk in the park.

So people will refuse to buy consoles because GT is also available on PC?
Seems to be the logic used by all three of the current console manufacturers for the past 25 years in the industry; with Sega being the only one who released games with any regularity outside of their own platforms.

Or, put another way, what makes GT7 notable enough that Sony would risk PS4 sales with a PC release when we're 7 titles in to the Forza franchise that is published by the company literally synonymous with "PC" and there were never even rumors to port one of those; not even the first title which was released on a game console which was far closer to a contemporary PC than even the Xbone and PS4 are now?

PC version of GT7 may mean lots of cheating, hacking and modding, much like all the other PC games.

So basically, exactly the same thing they did on the console version. Essentially, no difference whatsoever.

Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. If he would, then he would not be able to blame the hardware anymore (famous limitations) but on the other hand it would allow him to fully develop his "vision" much quicker. It would be interesting to know how PD are contractually tied to Sony and up to what time or if they just maintain a relationship based on pure loyalty, no strings attached sort of thing. I bet my fat tyres it is the former but it would still be nice to know all the details.

So people will refuse to buy consoles because GT is also available on PC? Not sure how that works.

You can always play Forza on PC... hell wait... no you cant.... thats how it works... Forza on PC = Less Xbox sales
... and guess what GT on PC = much less Playstation sales and much less GT sales also...
One week after it was released it would be available for free on the internet...

PoDi is owned by Sony. It's a first party studio like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.
Their games will be released exclusively on PlayStation.

PCARS, publisher Namco Bandai is a third. They can release their game on any platform.

You can always play Forza on PC... hell wait... no you cant.... thats how it works... Forza on PC = Less Xbox sales
... and guess what GT on PC = much less Playstation sales and much less GT sales also...
One week after it was released it would be available for free on the internet...

That would depend entirely on how many people bought the console just for GT who could then skip that purchase, or who would switch to PC gaming from console solely because GT is on a PC. Given that it'll take a pretty good gaming PC to produce visuals close to the PS platform, and PC sales in general are just a small slice of the gaming pie, I would guess the effect it would have on PS game sales or PS sales would be insignificant. On the other hand it could be $10's of millions into the pockets of PD/Sony.

PoDi is owned by Sony. It's a first party studio like Naughty Dog and Santa Monica.

PCARS, publisher Namco Bandai is a third. They can release their game on any platform.
The deal with Namco has nothing to do with it. The decision to go all platforms happened a long time ago, the deal with Namco is very recent.

On the front side, I won't buy a new PC JUST to play a game..... I have an old one, and it PROBABLY can't keep up with my PS3, much less what it would take to match the 4.

On the other side, I don't imagine it would be excessively beneficial to have to code for two platforms. Don't know, because I'm not that deep into it.

But, the biggest thing is to keep PS stuff ON the PS. Sony is NOT going to do it differently!

On the front side, I won't buy a new PC JUST to play a game..... I have an old one, and it PROBABLY can't keep up with my PS3, much less what it would take to match the 4.

On the other side, I don't imagine it would be excessively beneficial to have to code for two platforms. Don't know, because I'm not that deep into it.

But, the biggest thing is to keep PS stuff ON the PS. Sony is NOT going to do it differently!
PS4 is x86 same as a PC. If PCars can do it for 4 platforms with 1/16th the budget of GT, it should be a walk in the park for PD.

They won't exactly refuse, but instead some people will upgrade their PC and buy the game for the PC, there goes some money Sony would die to have.

And...

Bundles

When PD's next product is about to release, Sony will announce bundles and/or special offers for buying the console with the game

Consumer wants more with less, and that's exactly what they'll most likely give to the consumer.

They won't exactly refuse, but instead some people will upgrade their PC and buy the game for the PC, there goes some money Sony would die to have.

And...

Bundles

When PD's next product is about to release, Sony will announce bundles and/or special offers for buying the console with the game

Consumer wants more with less, and that's exactly what they'll most likely give to the consumer.
If you upgrade to PC and buy the game, you're still buying the game so the revenue is the same. It's only a loss for Sony if those same people would have purchased a PS4 instead. The flip side is of course, many people who would never buy a PS system, especially with Logitech wheels no longer compatible, might buy the game for PC, which is added revenue.

They can still bundle GT with the system, this doesn't change that.

PS4 is x86 same as a PC. If PCars can do it for 4 platforms with 1/16th the budget of GT, it should be a walk in the park for PD.

I was figuring it wouldn't be TOO much of a stretch, but it's still getting people into the PS4. After all, how many would buy more than one Sony game if they had a PC.....

But how many will buy more PS games if they have a PS.... ;)

THAT is where the revenue comes from!

I don't think its a question of whether PD can do but whether Sony will allow PD to do it. Given that GT has been a longtime exclusive staple in the Playstation line-up, you'll have a hard time convincing Sony to have it on PC.

Lets get something straight on this deal:

Slightly Mad Studios is the one making the game, Not Namco Bandai. They are a third party studio and choose to make this game for all three platforms, not Namco Bandai.

Yes.

Slighty Mad Studio decided to develop their game on multiple platforms. So, they had to choose a third-party publisher.

First = only one console
Third = multiple console.

Not complicated.

After there are exceptional cases like Microsoft who signed with Square for exclusivity (temporary or not) of Tomb Raider.

PoDi owned by Sony so there is absolutely no chance they release Gran Turismo on PC or elsewhere.

Then it's better to focus on a console to exploit capabilities of PS4 to the maximum.

Although it would be wise for PDI and good for consumers, Sony simply isn't going to allow competition. They're about as insular as Apple. Funny how MS became dominant being a relatively open platform, whereas Apple (and Sony, frankly) have been tertiary players for so long. with their "you're too stupid to decide for yourself", gold-plated "special customer" paradigm. Here's to insular, aristocratically inspired morons shooting themselves in their own feet.

Yes.

Slighty Mad Studio decided to develop their game on multiple platforms. So, they had to choose a third-party publisher.

First = only one console
Third = multiple console.

Not complicated.

After there are exceptional cases like Microsoft who signed with Square for exclusivity (temporary or not) of Tomb Raider.

PoDi owned by Sony so there is absolutely no chance they release Gran Turismo on PC or elsewhere.

Then it's better to focus on a console to exploit capabilities of PS4 to the maximum.
"Focus on the console" is a weak argument since the console and PC have the same architecture now. A team with the budget of GT, many times that of other games that have no difficulty porting to all platforms, would have no trouble making the leap. Whether Sony allows them or not is another issue, but I'd like it if Kaz took a swing at this one, although I doubt he'd be entirely forthcoming with his answer, for political reasons obviously.

It's like an arms race, having exclusive titles is like having nuclear missiles: no ones wants to get rid of them unless the competitors do the same, because if you let go of yours while your competitors keep theirs, you give away an advantage. Which console have the most and best exclusives is an important selling point.

You can laugh, it's reality.

In your opinion , why Uncharted and Gran Turismo have stood up to PC games ?
Because developers could exploit a machine to the fullest without worrying about 10 000 configurations.

And don't believe that the majority of PC owners have a large configuration....

Back