Mr. Yamauchi - A question about a PC version of GT7.

NFS hit 100M in 2009, have had 23 releases on multiple platforms since 1994, compared to 9 releases for GT at 70M, and neither of those numbers is counting GT6, since 1998.

There's a ton of choices for racing sims on PC so unless GT did something better than the current crop of PC sims, I don't see them making a dent in the PC side of racing games. The strong point is being console exclusive.

Actually there aren't many good racing games on PC. Lots of arcade and other BS. Some new simulators appeared in the recent years, but that's about it. GT has substantial advantages: car detail level and amount of cars. As well as track detail level and simulation-ish physics (except some bugs). No other PC racing game maker could afford this asset.

PD can only afford it because of their console successes. If they were on PC, they'd be in the same position as the others.

PD can only afford it because of their console successes. If they were on PC, they'd be in the same position as the others.
You mean the position of having 10 million unit sales on console in the bank, providing them a ready made game for PC with the biggest car and track count, and the freedom to do whatever they want with it, at very little additional cost?

From what we know PD does not receive direct profits from selling their games. What keeps PD afloat is (practically) only Sony, who gives them a yearly budget for whatever they might be working on.

(snip)

Very well said. It does make total sense from that perspective.

Exactly. Past GT sales totals are irrelevant and there's no such thing as "doing well enough" as was suggested. Even if you have 100% of the market you can always do better by expanding the market. And releasing the game on PC still leave GT as exclusive to the PS on console and sticks it to XBone that way. The real question is does the game sell consoles and if so, how many would be lost, if any, by selling it as a PC game. It's quite possible almost all PC sales could be additional sales to people who may not otherwise be a customer.

I agree. Expanding the market would be helpful. Plus, sticking it to M$ is always nice... ;)

But I have to add that PC sales are an interesting quandary I personally will NEVER buy a PC that is powerful enough to game on. It's just not worth it to me. So, for those in my position, a PC version would be irrelevant.

But, again, expanding the market is ALWAYS good.

We shall see. I still don't see GT EVER going to PC, but these are all good points.

Very well said. It does make total sense from that perspective.

I agree. Expanding the market would be helpful. Plus, sticking it to M$ is always nice... ;)

But I have to add that PC sales are an interesting quandary I personally will NEVER buy a PC that is powerful enough to game on. It's just not worth it to me. So, for those in my position, a PC version would be irrelevant.

But, again, expanding the market is ALWAYS good.

We shall see. I still don't see GT EVER going to PC, but these are all good points.
I don't think GT will ever go to PC either:lol:...it's just fun to discuss it. Affordability aside, for me the transition to the next-gen is a $1000-1200 proposition. Either Xbone/PS4 + T300RS + tax + online ($50/year) or PC and keep my G27. For me they were all close enough in price that I could choose any option and be in the same place financially. Most of us that want to game with a wheel are in similar positions. For some, affordabilty is an issue, and for a small number of people already with TM wheels and no gaming PC, it's a different dynamic altogether. I won't likely buy both a console and PC, I don't have that kind of time to be able to do both, so if I go exclusively PC, GT would be a definite purchase for me on PC, not so much for the simcade physics but simply for the community aspect of it and access to a thriving online community.

YZF
Actually there aren't many good racing games on PC. Lots of arcade and other BS. Some new simulators appeared in the recent years, but that's about it. GT has substantial advantages: car detail level and amount of cars. As well as track detail level and simulation-ish physics (except some bugs). No other PC racing game maker could afford this asset.

Come on, I've been a GT fan since the first game and it's been the dominant series throughout my gaming life, but GT gets stomped in everything you mentioned above except for car count, which could itself be surpassed in the future with the plethora of mods the modding community pump out.

On topic: Like mentioned, GT on PC is never going to happen, but there are excellent alternatives out there.

As far as cost, I will have to buy a tv. That, a PS4, a new wheel (are there any old Thrustmasters that I can get that are under $100?) And a possible need to upgrade my internet AGAIN.... Plus the PS+ membership....

Yeah, this is going to be hard to do. It took me over 18 months to set aside enough for the PS3...... But, I'll see what I can do. I'm here more for the community, myself. I'm not the greatest racer, though I am improving a bit. ;)

Oh, and if PCars is anything like they say it is, GT will HAVE to step up its game IMMENSELY!

Come on, I've been a GT fan since the first game and it's been the dominant series throughout my gaming life, but GT gets stomped in everything you mentioned above except for car count, which could itself be surpassed in the future with the plethora of mods the modding community pump out.

On topic: Like mentioned, GT on PC is never going to happen, but there are excellent alternatives out there.

Ermm not, it does not get stomped. No way. The detail level of the cars (uncomrpessed, raw 18Mbpx) is much higher than other PC racing games can offer. PS3 has limited output resolution, but that's hardware issue, not game content.

And we had modding community since 2005, when rfactor was released. Unfortunatelly the amount of cars and their standardised quality was nowhere to be found. I tried all semi-serious/serious racing games on all platforms, and the volume of content (cars+tracks+detail+features) is a huge advantage in this game. Otherwise people would't buy PS consoles just for this game only.

YZF
Ermm not, it does not get stomped. No way. The detail level of the cars (uncomrpessed, raw 18Mbpx) is much higher than other PC racing games can offer. PS3 has limited output resolution, but that's hardware issue, not game content.

And we had modding community since 2005, when rfactor was released. Unfortunatelly the amount of cars and their standardised quality was nowhere to be found. I tried all semi-serious/serious racing games on all platforms, and the volume of content (cars+tracks+detail+features) is a huge advantage in this game. Otherwise people would't buy PS consoles just for this game only.
Volume of content and graphics are huge advantages on this game..and the only advantages IMO. They have a lot of stuff without the "game" to go with it. It's a buffet served on paper plates without knives, forks, napkins or drinking glasses. You get lots of food, but you have to eat with your hands, wipe your face on your sleeve, drink your soup right out of the paper bowl and cup your hands together at the drinking fountain to wash it all down.

If you want to simply drive a lot of cars GT is the game for you. Luckily for them, or more accurately by design, that's what most people want and that's fine. But if you want more immersion, realistic physics and tire model, accurate and detailed FFB, serious racing online and off with full flags, damage and a full race weekend, proper car sounds etc. etc. etc. you simply have to look elsewhere.

And in everything but car count, I suspect Project Cars will be giving them a run for their money on the PS4 and it'll be interesting if PD chooses to step their game up or continues with the simcade version of racing they provide at this point.

GT has allways been a Playstaion exclusive, and IMO it should stay that way! If you really want to race on your computer theres other options then GT.

I dont have PS4 but whenever GT7 comes out, I will get both.

Back