100-0 Deceleration: 1.75 Seconds
Weight: 1295 KG
Torque: 584 NM
Weight Balance: 53/47
Wheelbase: 2.68

Ruapuna Park GP Laptime:
1:22.741

Info:

So, here's the first review of this series, and the first GT3 car we're taking a look at. This is the McLaren MP4-12C, but this one's special.

First, before we get into the driving part of the review, let's take a look at some brief history of this car.

McLaren-MP4-12C-GT3-at-24-Hours-of-Spa-2011-widescreen-15.jpg

Built in 2011 and fielded in 2012, the McLaren MP4-12C GT3 is the first sports car McLaren has fielded since the F1 GTR back in the late 1990's. This car in particular was developed at Top Gear's Dunsfold Airfield in the United Kingdom. The road car was an attempt from McLaren to once again cut into Ferrari's street machine pie after the astounding success of the F1, so a racing version to take on the F430 GT and the 458 GT3 was surely not far off. This car is the fruit of those aspirations. The original car was built to one-up Ferrari's road cars in every single scientifically possible way, so there's no doubt that this racing special must be something to look forward to.

For some real life racing history, the MP4-12C has found first-place finishes within the GT1 World Championships at the hands of Hexis Racing (who's livery is available in-game). The MP4 has had modest success in the world of GT3, but hasn't seen as much popularity among privateers, who usually opt for more proven choices like the R8 LMS or M3 GT.

The MP4-12C was succeeded in GT3 racing by it's younger brother, the 650S GT3. The 650S shares much of the same bodywork, but has been updated to include more recent developments in the GT3 rulebook, and a more P1 inspired look.

Driving:

MP8HAPE2MX9AAAYAA_.jpeg

Now, the most important part of the review is how the car handles in-game. I'd have to say that the MP4 is one of the easier cars to handle in Project CARS. It's a common joke that the noobs in online racing use the "orange 12C" as their go-to easy to learn vehicle. Most people view the McLaren as a disposable car that you can learn the ropes of GT3 in, and then move on for better options in the future.

Personally, I'd have to disagree. Sure, the car is severely down on power and top speed compared to other GT3 cars, but the best strength of the McLaren is when you know where to use it. A lot of other cars in this game can have very fussy handling in the corners, some like to oversteer while others prefer understeer. The McLaren just grips.

MP8HAQC2MX9AAAYAA_.jpeg

When you take a corner with the 12C, you can always rely on the handling to get you through the corner in one piece no matter how sharp. Without the traction control on, it's quite hard to spin this car too. This means that the 12C's planted nature is to your benefit when you're looking for a consistent car to lap.

MP8HAVA2MX9AAAYAA_.jpeg

Down the straights is where things really start to fall apart. You'd have a tough time keeping up with any other GT3 cars on the long bits, except for maybe the Ginetta G55 GT3. The lower top speed means any tracks like Le Mans or Monza should be off-limits for this car in competitive racing. The engine has been downtuned significantly from 600hp to 496hp, so you really need to know your strengths with this car. Keep to more technical circuits with the MP4.

Additional Thoughts:

As far as other things go, The engine note of the 12C GT3 is identical to the road car, despite featuring a racing exhaust in this iteration. The only difference is that this engine revs slightly lower than the road car's version, so the car's sound doesn't wind up as much. As for the note itself, it's a loud, high-pitched V8 that sounds it's greatest when downshifting, where you can hear the burbles from the exhaust.

As far as looks, it's certainly more functional than art. It shares much of the same aesthetic as the road version, but it features some very aggressive fender flares for hiding the increased wheelbase. The aerodynamically redesigned front grill I'm a fan of. The McLaren logos are still present in the headlights, which is a nice touch as many racing versions of road cars often loose their unique fixtures during the conversion.

One problem this car has is the complete lack of any liveries. It features four or five, but that's really it. There's not any creative fictional liveries or anything! Not even the fine-looking Red Bull livery was present for the PS4 release. It couldn't have hurt to add in a few more during the post-launch DLC, could it?

A funny note, but the lack of a large amount of liveries makes the MP4 a rare site in the hands of AI in single-player. I find that almost all teams running the MP4 in single-player use the factory McLaren Orange livery.

Verdict:

8/10

If you know the strengths of the MP4, it can be a powerful tool. Keep to technical circuits and avoid those with long straights.

Often brushed off as the safe option, sometimes the safe options can bring the danger to your opponents when used correctly!​

Last edited:
I quite like the the Mclaren. I used it in a 20 minute race at Zhuhai and it did really well.

Keep up these reviews, you're off to a good start :cheers:

Review 2: 1981 BMW M1 ProCar

(not to be confused with the BMW 1-Series M Coupe)

MP98D_JXFQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Specs:

Class: Group 4

Drivetrain: Mid-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Inline-6
Top Speed: 333 KM/H
Horsepower: 487 HP
0-100 Acceleration: 4.30 Seconds
100-0 Deceleration: 2.04 Seconds
Weight: 1100 KG
Torque: 413 NM
Weight Balance: 57/43
Wheelbase: 2.56

Ruapuna Park GP Laptime:
1:22.219

Info:

Here is a special one-make racing machine featured in Project CARS. The M1 ProCar is the only vehicle featured in the classic GT Group 4 class, meaning that this car has no real competition. In real life, a few other vehicles raced in Group 4 alongside the BMW M1, like the De Tomaso Pantera and Porsche 911, but those cars aren't present in-game and Group 4 is effectively a one-make series.

tumblr_lzfnw7Oht61qh3t6o.jpg

Now, let's go over some developmental details. The BMW M1 is a sports car developed by BMW for Group 4 and ProCar one-make racing. The road version of the M1 was built between 1979 and 1981 to satisfy homologation requirements. The racing special featured the same, but heavily modified inline-6 engine as the road car. The racing flavour of the M1 produced 487 HP for ProCar racing, and adding a turbocharger for Group 4 could make the M1 ProCar's I-6 engine produce a firebreathing 850 HP.

In terms of one-make racing, the champions of both years the ProCar competition was held were Niki Lauda and Nelson Piquet. The former won in 1979 and the latter won in 1980. After a short but memorable run, the series folded after two years so BMW could refocus on their Formula One efforts.

After ProCar, the BMW M1 finally met homologation requirements and continued to race in the Group 4 category, with some cars finding their way into regional championships such as the IMSA GT Championship in the US and Canada, and the Deutsche Rennsport Meisterschaft in West Germany.

ciqb08tho0.jpg

Racing in these series was pretty quiet for the old M1, and the vehicle never found any real success. Far from their home in one-make racing, the BMW M1s faded away after a few seasons and made their way to the collections of millionaires and museums.

bmw-m1-art-car-on-display.jpg

The distinction of the M1 as Germany's first mid-engine supercar was not forgotten, and decades later, cars like the Z4 GT3, BMW I8 and M1 Hommage Concept carry on the torch that the M1 helped ignite for BMW.

Driving:

MP98DFQXFQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Actually getting your hands on the M1 in Project CARS is quite the treat, it's surprisingly well-balanced it is for it's time. The handling of the M1 usually likes to lean a bit more towards oversteer, and the suspension can be quite jumpy on elevation changes or bumpy tracks, but it never kicks out very often when it does. Around the corners, the M1 is reminiscent of the MP4-12C GT3 from the last review. You hardly ever get a fuss when pushing it. With the traction control off, the car is decent to drive as well.

MP98DHSXFQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

The car is light, and has around the same amount of power as the MP4 GT3 does, so the straight-line performance is nothing to scoff at either. It's easily capable of over 300km/h, 333 to be exact, so you never need to worry about being outgunned in the straights compared to some GT3 machines. Off-the-line acceleration is a little poor, so watch out when you're slowed down a lot or just starting the race. The car is a one-make machine though, so straight line performance would be even between M1s anyways, however it can hold it's own in a multi-class race.

MP98D_NXFQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

My favourite part of the M1, however, are the incredible brakes it has. Stopping from 100-0 KM/H only takes 2.04 seconds, which is good for it's age. The newer GT3 machines will beat you into the corners, but the car does come to a halt surprisingly quickly. It's fun to challenge the next turn and your acceleration button to a game of chicken sometimes.

Overall, a very well put together and composed car that shows it's age with grace and pace instead of hiding it's bald spot underneath a baseball cap. Very good drive!

Additional Thoughts:

The M1 ProCar's engine note is a beefy six-cylinder racing engine! It has the distinct 80's racing feel to it. Crackling and popping to a sound that is surprisingly similar to a Porsche 6 Cylinder in my opinion. If I closed my eyes, I could imagine a RUF CTR1 using this engine noise to be honest. That's a good thing, I love the sound this car makes. It revs decently high too.

The interior is something special too, pretty easy to see around and look out of. I like the shape of the steering wheel and the simple gages placed in front of you while you're driving. Very clean, I prefer this car's interior view over most other GT class machines.

Liveries! This car has a tonne of them and they're all retro! Too cool! The Canadian livery is pretty awesome as well, no bias there whatsoever!

Verdict:

9/10
Awesome car! If you don't own the DLC for this yet, what are you doing? This is my favourite "old car" on Project CARS to drive. It looks great, it goes great and it sounds great too. Everything is great about it!

Surprisingly competitive in multi-class for me, it actually doesn't feel that old compared to more modern GT machines, it jutters a bit, but it's not that bad. Overall, you should drive it and use it more often if you haven't!​

Last edited:
Review 3: 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302R1

"If the song 'Highway to Hell' was an FIA GT4 racing car"​

MPJQXJ22FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Specs:

Class: GT4

Engine Type: V8
Top Speed: 301 KM/H
Horsepower: 406 HP
0-100 Acceleration: 3.75 Seconds
100-0 Deceleration: 2.43 Seconds
Weight: 1506 KG
Torque: 491 NM
Weight Balance: 45/55
Wheelbase: 2.72

Ruapuna Park GP Laptime:
1:27.488

Info:

It's bad, in a good way.

The Mustang GT4 is an interesting car in the game, it's quite the oddball compared to some sports cars it drives against. It's strange watching an almost stock looking muscle car trading blows with tiny Euro sports cars and souped-up Rocketbunny Japanese race cars. The closest match it has in-game would be the M3 GT4, and that's not even a muscle car. So, if you want to look nasty driving an entry-level GT machine, this is the one.

The too-cool-for-school looks of the Fifth Generation 'stang were adopted in 2010 as a much-needed facelift to the inferior looking pre-facelift model. Smoothing out the rough, as I like to say. I'm a fan of the post-facelifted Mustang, and I absolutely adore the Shelby GT500, despite some stigma that one carries.

C3000-race.jpg

As for real life, the Mustang Boss 302R1 doesn't actually exist. At least not in the spec we see in-game. GT4 racing versions of the Mustang exist in real life, but the 302R1 is not a real factory model. Several versions of the 4th Gen Mustang have been run by independent teams, but none of these cars are really factory-backed. Most cars are just prepared for local GT racing on a smaller scale than the Euro Championships of the FIA GT4 series.

mmfp_1006_09_o+2011_ford_boss_302r1_mustang+final_practice_sessions.jpg

The closest real-life match I could find is the post-facelift version of the Boss 302, the Boss 302R. These cars ran in the Grand-Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge Series against various other sports cars such as the M3, like we see in Project CARS. But these are not the same spec as we see in-game. They're close, but still no banana.

Other than that, the Mustang has seen action in GT3 too, with a more hard-core version being prepped by some privateer teams.

Driving:

MPJQX0-2FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Driving the Mustang GT4 certainly isn't as elegant as driving a Ginetta or GT86. The thing has McPherson struts on both ends of the car for suspension, and it weighs significantly more than those two. Couple that with the higher seating position and you have a somewhat clumsy car in the corners.

MPJQXS52FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Most often, the Mustang will leave a trail of smoke when it goes 'round, so it's not exactly the most efficient car for conserving you rubber, or fuel for that matter, over longer races. The car has a tendancy to understeer in high-speed bends, but then it snap-oversteers in the low speed corners because of the rear-wheel drive nature and higher power.

MPJQXT42FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Speaking of higher power, this Mustang is where it's at in terms of GT4 straight-line performance. It boasts perhaps the best speed in it's class, rivaled only by the M3 GT4. If you're on a track with longer straights, it might be worth taking a look at. Not to mention you can burnout pretty good with this one! You'll never loose a GT4-series drag race with this car at your service, although I'm not sure how helpful that actually is.

Additional Thoughts:

The Mustang Boss 302R1 sounds like a good ol' NASCAR V8, as any muscle car should. You get all the raspy tones and crazy redline noise that you would with any other high-performance American machine.

My favourite livery is the Ford Factory #94, it's simple and looks like something Ford could actually run with in a real GT4 championship!

But seriously, the top speed is great, it would be useful down the Mulsanne at Le Mans if you ever race there with GT4 cars.

Verdict:

7.5/10
It's the big-bad Mustang incarnated as a GT4 machine. Keep to the long stretches to hunt down and capture your European and Japanese prey. If you're a fan of muscle cars, this is probably the GT4 machine for you.

If you can manage the heavyweight champion, the Mustang can leave your opponents in your dust down the long straights. Just keep in mind it's weaknesses, like an inverse MP4 GT3.​

Last edited:
Review 4: 2014 McLaren P1

"Primal Rage" is the only real way to describe the acceleration of this car.

MP3YEVD6FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Specs:

Class: Road A

Engine Type: Hybrid Twin-Turbo V8
Top Speed: 365 KM/H
Horsepower: 906 HP
0-100 Acceleration: 2.59 Seconds
100-0 Deceleration: 2.70 Seconds
Weight: 1476 KG
Torque: 890 NM
Weight Distribution: 58/42
Wheelbase: 2.67

Ruapuna Park GP Laptime:
1:26.539

Oh well, best I could do with a controller.

About a second ahead of the Mustang, it is a tight track, so the braking distance of the P1 is quite longer than race-spec machines, I may test road cars in the future on a more open track like Monza.

Info:

You thought the F1 was a pretty hardcore McLaren? I say this with absolutely no hyperbole, the P1 is the most extreme McLaren of all time.

IMG_2134.JPG

Developed as part of the "Hypercar Triple Crown", the P1 is one of 2013's batch of Hybrid Hypercars. Locked in eternal mortal combat with the "Ferrari TheFerrari" and the "Volkswagen Beetle Cabriolet Hybrid". In all seriousness, the LaFerrari and 918 are amazingly awesome cars that we'll see in Project CARS 2, but for now it's just this guy. In Project CARS, the McLaren P1 brings the heat against rivals such as the Pagani Huayra BC, Zonda Cinque, W Motors Lykan Hypersport and the Gumpert Apollo.

In real life, the McLaren P1 was developed before 2013 under the code name "P12", not much of a code name, it's only one character off of P1. Inspired by the Porsche 918 concept that you probably saw in Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, McLaren braced itself for the coming Hybrid Winter. So, through countless hours of wind tunnel testing and Nurburgringing, the P1 was finally ready to go by 2013.

IMG_2135.JPG

After securing some lap records at COTA and Silverstone National, McLaren wasn't done playing dice with Ferrari yet, so they made the absolutely ludicrous P1 GTR to rival the Ferrari FXX-K. Those two clashed in the amazing revival of the FIA GT1 World Championships alongside the 918 RSR, Pagani Huayra R and Koenigsegg One:1 CCS-R! In my head. The P1 GTR never actually raced outside of track day events, so it's basically a million dollar toy.

More on the P1 GTR in September-ish!

But if you want the most brutal track experience with a car, armed with active aero, electric motors and face-tearing speed, the McLaren is your car.

Driving:

Driving the P1 is actually quite a lot of fun. It's hard to handle at first, but you just need to learn the ropes and you'll be set in no time.

MPBSEQP3FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

The first and most important step of driving the P1 is knowing when to floor the accelerator, I know having 906hp behind you with a hybrid boost system might make you eager to blast into hyperspace, but you need to avoid putting down unnecessary power whenever possible. The most important step of driving this car is not spinning out. The weight balance of this car prefers the rear due to the heavy motors running it, and this can cause the vehicle to feel very tail-happy in the corners. Make sure you take corners slowely as to avoid kicking the tail out as much as possible and spinning out. Throttle control is good to practice with this as well, going full blast on the accelerator mid-turn will cause this car to slide and ultimately spin out, but save your throttle for the straights.

MPBSE4N3FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Speaking of which, the torque from the electric motors on the P1 is incredible, the off-line acceleration is one of the fastest in the game. Top-end acceleration is very good too due to the insane torque of the car, the pushing power just never seems to stop with this one. You'll be going 300 down the backroad of California before you know it. The only thing I really find disappointing about the P1 is the slowing down part.

MPBSEJT3FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

My main gripe with the P1 is the brakes. Simply put, they could be better. The Mustang GT4 and Aston Martin GT12 both have better braking distance with the P1. Couple that with the fact that the P1 is going much faster than those two cars, and you'll realize that you need to brake a little earlier with this car as opposed to others. The P1 is a pretty high-performance machine, so I think it could stand to have brakes at least on par with a GT4-spec Ford Mustang.

Additional Thoughts:

The P1 once again reuses the MP4's sound files, only this time the P1 adds a subtle electric whine to the noise. It revs up pretty fast this time around.

The car comes with no special liveries, but the two best colours in my opinion for the exterior are Volcano Orange or McLaren Orange. Classics are always the best after all.

Verdict:
8/10

While I may not enjoy driving this car much against other opponents due to the tricky handling, I did find this fun to learn how to drive.

The car is prone to sliding due to the high power and weighted back end, but it was easy-ish for me to get the hang of, this may not be a beginner's car.

If you're looking for a good solo car to run, a good car to train with throttle control or a fast car for straigtline speed, this may just be your guy!

Last edited:
Review 5: 2016 Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3

Cadillac attempts to shed it's retirement-aged demographic.

MPRDO286FQAAAAYAA_.jpeg

Specs:

Class: GT3

Drivetrain: Front-Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Turbocharged V6
Top Speed: 282 KM/H
Horsepower: 500 HP
0-100 Acceleration: 3.3 Seconds
100-0 Deceleration: 1.71 Seconds
Weight: 1315 KG
Torque: 599 NM
Weight Distribution: 51/49
Wheelbase: 2.82

Ruapuna Park GP Laptime:
1:22.269

Info:

In Project CARS, the Cadillac ATS-V.R GT3 comes to us in the form of DLC alongside some other GT3/E class cars such as the ATS' stablemate: the Corvette and the Bentley Continental GT3. This 2016 model is one of the most recent in the game, and is one of the newest vehicles homologated to GT3.

In 2016, Cadillac launched the high-performance ATS-V as part of their new "V" sub-branding. Similar to BMW's M or Mercedes-AMG. Previously, the V designation has been exclusive to the CTS, a larger sedan than the ATS. Now, the V symbolises the vendetta Cadillac has developed towards their consumer base.

Previously, Cadillac has been know to create some pretty uninspired bricks that were frequent sights around older neighborhoods and retirement communities, so they decided to start building better, more sportier cars that could rival the likes of German luxury brands.

Adopting an angular design and aggressive bodywork, the road version of the ATS-V, available in both Coupe and Convertible body styles, set out on a quest to prove that Cadillac could be taken seriously in the world of luxurious performance cars.

Cadillac-ATSVR-Front-Red-blue-720x340.jpg

Inevitably, this trend developed into a focus towards motorsport. The ATS-V was transformed into a racing car to succeed the old SCCA World Challenge CTS-V Coupe race car (which won back-to-back titles in 2012 and 2013). The difference here was that the ATS-V would instead be developed for GT3 beyond the SCCA.

Soon, the ATS-V.R would find itself interlocked in a struggle against it's road car luxury rivals such as Bentley, Lexus, Mercedes and BMW for victory. The car is pretty new and hasn't seen much noteworthy success. The ATS-V.R GT3 has yet to reach Le Mans either.

Driving:

When you hear the phrase "driving a Cadillac GT machine", you'd probably imagine a brick driving along with a pack of much more elegant sports cars. You'd probably imagine the Cadillac would handle like a brick as well.

That's not entirely true. Yes, it is heavier than some of the other GT3-spec cars, but it doesn't feel that much more heavy. This is most likely due to the excellent 51/49 weight distribution this car has.​

MP18NA1944NAAAYAA_.jpeg

The steering would probably tend more towards understeer with a Cadillac, you're probably imagining. Not the case here, the weight distribution equates to the flattest handling of any GT3 machine this side of an SLS AMG. The ATS-V.R feels surprisingly eager to corner compared to it's image, which really surprises me.

On the straights, the car has plenty of torque compared to other GT machines, so it's high-end acceleration is quite impressive too. The only problem is the oddly low 282KM/H top speed. I'd like a little more top speed, but that might not be possible without changing some aerodynamic components, which is out of my control.

MP18NGZ944NAAAYAA_.jpeg

On Sakkito, this game's version of Suzuka Circuit, the car has a perfect blend of superb handling and torque-filled acceleration.

The only problem I have with this car is it has a little bit of a tendency to fishtail slightly on very tight low-speed corners like on Ruapuna Park. With traction control on and a little moderation, the car should feel fine.

The steering response is slightly more sluggish than other high-performance supercars, but the ATS-V.R makes up for that with superb handling characteristics like the weight distribution and flat handling.

Project CARS_20170501205040.jpg

I didn't expect the Cadillac to be this good of a GT3 car, not next to more proven options, but it's really good to drive. I'd feel comfortable using this car online!

Additional Thoughts:

Through genetics, the ATS-V.R has inherited some rather chunky looks from it's road car counterpart and race car predecessor. It has a sharp, large look that rides higher than most other GT3-class supercars. It sure looks odd seeing what is almost a muscle car going up against McLarens and Audis. The rear window even looks like it's off a NASCAR. But hey, weird is good.

The exhaust note is similar to that of the other six-cylinder GT cars, a meaty V6 heard through a racing exhaust. The tone is similar to the M1 Procar, but revs much lower and has a very distinct turbo whistle from the turbocharged V6. Overall, it's a good sound that fits the car.

Speaking of which, I betcha thought this car had a small-block V8, didn't you?

Verdict:
8.5/10

Nothing to scoff at here. The Cadillac ATS-V.R can lap Ruapuna Park in the same tenth of a second as the M1 Procar, and is faster than the MP4-12C GT3.

Thanks to this car's near-perfect weight distribution, neutral handling characteristics and torque-filled engine, the Cadillac ATS-V.R is a competitive choice for GT3 racing against it's sworn rivals.​

Back