Multi Class Endurance. Catalunya. 03/11/2019.

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 561 comments

Where shall we race?

• Autopolis

• Blue Moon Bay Infield A

• Catalunya

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, practice is key to most things. But..
As an example my wife has
rheumatoid arthritis and she can play Rayman for half an hour and that's it. So no way she can practice the amount needed for something like this. Could be the same for him. We just don't know.
Or like me, who has wife and lots of kids, a limited time on hand to play leads to a limited time for practice. It's certainly doable for me,but I often stop practice and start racing whit TCS so I can be competitive.
Granted, my youth and health are definitely an advantage.

But considering I'm studying automotive engineering after not having done maths for close to a decade, time is not something I have a great deal of either.

I had very little practice for last night other than using the XJR-9 for daily mileage whenever I could squeak it in.

Plus I definitely failed my exam this morning so I probably shouldn't have raced to begin with :(

My main point, though, is that I think racing/GT is one of those things where you can't progress without pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I started out AT, traction control on anything above group 3, and was ridiculously slow. Throwing the stabilisers away and learning to do it all with my fingers wasn't as much of a process as it initially seemed.

I'm far from the world's best player but I like to think I'm always improving by pushing my own limits, like by driving an incredibly unforgiving car for a 90 minute endurance race. I COULD have picked a car I feel ultra comfortable in, like the 4C gr. 3, but would I have learned anything about myself that I didn't know already?

Granted, my youth and health are definitely an advantage.

But considering I'm studying automotive engineering after not having done maths for close to a decade, time is not something I have a great deal of either.

I had very little practice for last night other than using the XJR-9 for daily mileage whenever I could squeak it in.

Plus I definitely failed my exam this morning so I probably shouldn't have raced to begin with :(

My main point, though, is that I think racing/GT is one of those things where you can't progress without pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. I started out AT, traction control on anything above group 3, and was ridiculously slow. Throwing the stabilisers away and learning to do it all with my fingers wasn't as much of a process as it initially seemed.

I'm far from the world's best player but I like to think I'm always improving by pushing my own limits, like by driving an incredibly unforgiving car for a 90 minute endurance race. I COULD have picked a car I feel ultra comfortable in, like the 4C gr. 3, but would I have learned anything about myself that I didn't know already?
You are absolutely right on this. And this is the very reason I am not getting better. And I know it. I keep saying that I shal learn to drive MT, but it never really happens. It my own fault, I know.
But hey, I am having fun

Edit: I think MT is necessary as a first step to start letting go of the crutches of TCS, because the MT helps you rotate and control wheel spin.

You are absolutely right on this. And this is the very reason I am not getting better. And I know it. I keep saying that I shal learn to drive MT, but it never really happens. It my own fault, I know.
But hey, I am having fun
So long as you're having fun, I recommend - nay, urge - that you ignore my waffling and carry on. That's the most important thing, after all :)

Yes, practice is key to most things. But..
As an example my wife has
rheumatoid arthritis and she can play Rayman for half an hour and that's it. So no way she can practice the amount needed for something like this. Could be the same for him. We just don't know.
Or like me, who has wife and lots of kids, a limited time on hand to play leads to a limited time for practice. It's certainly doable for me,but I often stop practice and start racing with TCS so I can be competitive.

This is kinda my point. Doing @Pigems lobby followed by this two days later wasn't a good idea. My hands were less than happy. It's not a matter of practice practice practice. There is a difference between having time to do something and having a limit of time before it becomes physically painfull. I used to be able to do both race B and Race C. That was about my limit. Now, since I hurt my thumb, 1 race C or two race Bs and that's it. I do a few qualifying laps till I'm happy I can stay on the track and that's it so I can deal with the race. I won't be doing the dailies again for another couple of days at least.

This is kinda my point. Doing @Pigems lobby followed by this two days later wasn't a good idea. My hands were less than happy. It's not a matter of practice practice practice. There is a difference between having time to do something and having a limit of time before it becomes physically painfull. I used to be able to do both race B and Race C. That was about my limit. Now, since I hurt my thumb, 1 race C or two race Bs and that's it. I do a few qualifying laps till I'm happy I can stay on the track and that's it so I can deal with the race. I won't be doing the dailies again for another couple of days at least.
This is what I understood from your post, and I know exactly how that goes.
Here's to your health.

Qualification *was* my practice :lol:. First time in a Gr3 with no CSA or ASM. The bug likes to rotate under power and it did not like the kerbs.

Just in case it helps, I only use ABS & TCS. Those other 2 really don't help at all. I have grown up with driving games where drift is something you learn. CSA & ASM negate all that I've learned. I'd suggest that if you want to practice without CSA & ASM, you'll be faster & likely have more fun.

Just in case it helps, I only use ABS & TCS. Those other 2 really don't help at all. I have grown up with driving games where drift is something you learn. CSA & ASM negate all that I've learned. I'd suggest that if you want to practice without CSA & ASM, you'll be faster & likely have more fun.
Yes, those two are the easiest to shed. I had on ASM by mistake ( I guess one of the kids turned it on) and I felt slow all the time. Found out, turned it off and got faster times at once

And there will be opportunities ;) . @Bivittavus88 and I also have ideas (but that's a secret 🤬), and I think @paoloevans's awesome Sprint Cup series is also a good place to practice with fine&friendly racers :) .

Details will be posted about that series later tonight, I hope. Provided I get some indication as to which Sundays I'm going to be working up to Christmas.

I think it all depends on what people want from the game.

I want fun, but I also want to improve my skills too. Plus its an outlet for my competitive urges. Maybe I could (and should) go karting more frequently, but, hey, I'm lazy!

Buying a wheel and pedals has been a great investment for me. Totally got my money's worth over the last two years.

GTS is the only game I play on the PS4 (the only other game I own is F1 2017, and I only have that because it came out before GTS!)

Basically GTS is my 'hobby'.

My other hobby is djing, but the neighbours don't like that one!

@DelboyD, I have contemplated getting a wheel/pedal setup, but if I'm going to get one, I plan to get what I want. I personally can't justify the cost when GTS is the game I play the most. I do play PC2 & plan to buy GRID. PC2 has so many adjustments & button assignments that a wheel is the only way to use them all. I want that immersion, but the setup I want is in the mid-4 digit price range. Oh my aching credit card. :lol:

@DelboyD, I have contemplated getting a wheel/pedal setup, but if I'm going to get one, I plan to get what I want. I personally can't justify the cost when GTS is the game I play the most. I do play PC2 & plan to buy GRID. PC2 has so many adjustments & button assignments that a wheel is the only way to use them all. I want that immersion, but the setup I want is in the mid-4 digit price range. Oh my aching credit card. :lol:

:) I know what you mean about getting the product you want and whether it is worth the cash.

I've focused on GTS because I've been playing the GT series since it first came out (other GTs only on D-Pad) and I don't really have the time to spread my efforts around too many games.

I let @Granadier go as well at one point as I thought you might be able to chase Delboy but then you fell off the road a couple of times. We were having a really cool strategy battle. At times I was matching your Soft pace so I was actually really excited about what was going to happen in the last 15. You would have had me after I pitted for the last time but I reckon I would have got you and that could have been a mad mad last couple of laps! That one could have gone to the flag! Alas, you forgot to refuel, twice! I actually ran out crossing the line.
Going to go ahead and blame the single beer I had half of on my poor driving performance.

But seriously, I got really frustrated about those pit stops. Wasn’t focusing enough on the first one and then got worked up over messing up the first which caused me to ruin the next two. And I completely missed the braking point on that left hander a couple times.

The Vette at 100% stood no chance against the Supra and AMG on the long straight though. Even in the slipstream I was falling back. Maybe next time we could do a BoP race :)

Unfortunately, the series is going to have to wait until the new year. No idea which weekends I'm going to be working in December, because *insert stupid reason here*

"Working" and "Christmas"... and big beard? Busted :D !

52a5f3eeb600439250a90236b8019f77.jpg

The Vette at 100% stood no chance against the Supra and AMG on the long straight though. Even in the slipstream I was falling back. Maybe next time we could do a BoP race :)

The next one will be a one make. So, BoP won't be an issue.

It could have ended up a really good battle with @Chevy Heavy and @Drex124 if i hadn't dumped myself in the cat litter twice (maybe 3 times :grumpy:). The 919 was doing pretty much bang on 30 mins on fuel for each stint and i finished with just over a lap left in the tank... but it was after the first pit that me and @Drex124 came out of the pits dead level until i got a bit feisty on the cold tyres and binned it. Then with @Chevy Heavy ahead by prob 20 seconds, i'm thinking 'come on man.. pit in!! PIT IN!!'

I went with the one stop thinking I would leap frog guys when they pitted. It worked a little except for those other 2 Toyotas that choose to go flat out and pit twice. On my last stint I had enough fuel left to push a little harder for the last 10-15 min of the race. I noticed I was gaining on @Drex124 and had a shot at 3rd so I was pushing harder. Until I misjudged my braking and rear ended @Bivittavus88 going into turn 7 sending him off. Sorry about that. I thought I could squeeze inside and not lose any momentum, but he slowed earlier than I expected. I should have realized everyone was on worn tires near the end. That's what make this type of racing so much fun though is the unpredictability with cars of varying speed. I now see why @Sven Jurgens and others like to start from the back.

I went with the one stop thinking I would leap frog guys when they pitted. It worked a little except for those other 2 Toyotas that choose to go flat out and pit twice. On my last stint I had enough fuel left to push a little harder for the last 10-15 min of the race. I noticed I was gaining on @Drex124 and had a shot at 3rd so I was pushing harder. Until I misjudged my braking and rear ended @Bivittavus88 going into turn 7 sending him off. Sorry about that. I thought I could squeeze inside and not lose any momentum, but he slowed earlier than I expected. I should have realized everyone was on worn tires near the end. That's what make this type of racing so much fun though is the unpredictability with cars of varying speed. I now see why @Sven Jurgens and others like to start from the back.

No worries at all, mate. I was expecting that to happen once or twice. Once the Gr.1 drivers got into their rhythm, it was only a matter of time before someone misjudged a Gr.3 cars need to brake early. Comparatively . .

Teaser for the next one. Fuel and tyres for it will be set at x1. We're only going to use racing mediums, and fuel will start at 75%.

The next three points are identical to a race that has actually happened.
  • One make.
  • 90 minutes.
  • As fast, or faster (slightly) than GT3.
Now I just need to figure out a date/time. If we run on a sat, I might have to slot it in between the FIAs (EMEA times) But, given the longer than normal break between races, that shouldn't be TOO much of an issue.

I think it all depends on what people want from the game.

I want fun, but I also want to improve my skills too. Plus its an outlet for my competitive urges. Maybe I could (and should) go karting more frequently, but, hey, I'm lazy!

Buying a wheel and pedals has been a great investment for me. Totally got my money's worth over the last two years.

GTS is the only game I play on the PS4 (the only other game I own is F1 2017, and I only have that because it came out before GTS!)

Basically GTS is my 'hobby'.

My other hobby is djing, but the neighbours don't like that one!

Same here, I even actually used to own my own racing kart when I was young and dumb lol. I have PC2 and AC but GTS rarely to never leaves my PS4, they’re just not GT, I’ve been playing them since the first one. My other hobby was golf, but GT Sport stole all of golfs time, the clubs just collect dust now. :lol:

I would actually suggest starting out with a cheaper wheel to make sure you actually like using a wheel and can make the transition full time before spending a ton of cash of a fancy setup. I’ve seen lots of guys on here buy a wheel only to realize they don’t like it and then your stuck selling a near new wheel set for second hand prices to a very small market of people. Try a G29 or T300GT for a couple of months just to make sure you like it, it could end up saving you a bunch of money in the long run. Also, I have plans for a rig that can be made pretty cheaply, I can send them to you any time and walk you through the build process. :cheers:

Last edited:
I would actually suggest starting out with a cheaper wheel to make sure you actually like using a wheel and can make the transition full time before spending a ton of cash of a fancy setup. I’ve seen lots of guys on here buy a wheel only to realize they don’t like it and then your stuck selling a near new wheel set for second hand prices to a very small market of people. Try a G29’s or T300 for a couple of months just to make sure you like it, it could end up saving you a bunch of money in the long run.

This.

I was going to get a fancy wheel, nice rig, etc. Because, yano, I'm a grown up/responsible adult etc . . You can stop laughing now . .

Decided on a G29, and Trak Racer FS3. Looking back, it was the best decision to make. Yeah, the FFB on the G29 isn't great. But, it's good enough. Nice and cheap, too. Especially with Black Friday coming up. I'll spice it up with a 3drap.it wheel around Xmas.

Trak Racer FS3 is a lovely little stand. Genuinely don't have anything bad to say about it.

This.

I was going to get a fancy wheel, nice rig, etc. Because, yano, I'm a grown up/responsible adult etc . . You can stop laughing now . .

Decided on a G29, and Trak Racer FS3. Looking back, it was the best decision to make. Yeah, the FFB on the G29 isn't great. But, it's good enough. Nice and cheap, too. Especially with Black Friday coming up. I'll spice it up with a 3drap.it wheel around Xmas.

Trak Racer FS3 is a lovely little stand. Genuinely don't have anything bad to say about it.

I did something similar, I started on in GTS by using my old DFGT with a DriveHub adapter, once I realized I was gonna stick with it I then built my rig and eventually got the T300 GT. If this wheel ever dies some day I’ll figure out a way to get one of those fancy ones, but for now I absolutely love my T300, it’s a great wheel! :)

What wheel are you upgrading to?

That’s really cool, I didn’t know they made stuff like that for the G29. :)

The Gr.X RS01 is nicer to drive than the Gr.3 car, since it’s a one make and all. :)

I've seen a couple of G29 add ons to accept real wheels. But, this seems like it'll be much better. Should be decent quality too, if their shifter upgrade is anything to go by.

Aye, the Gr.3 is a pig to drive.

This. Probably in aluminium. Carbon would be nice. But, I can't really justify it.

https://www.3drap.it/product/gt-wheel-addon-for-logitech-g29-g920/
Wow, that looks like a really easy to install and high quality. With the existing buttons staying and all. I've disassembled my wheel and pedals entirely and Logitech did a really good job making both easy to work on. High quality internals as well.

My only concern is that the g29 steering shaft has some play in it (or at least mine does :() which I'd worry about this exacerbating with the wider diameter.

My only concern is that the g29 steering shaft has some play in it (or at least mine does :() which I'd worry about this exacerbating with the wider diameter.

I'll keep that in mind.

I'll be honest though, I've got no idea what the diameter of that wheel is, or what the diameter of the standard one is. I really should find out :lol:

I would actually suggest starting out with a cheaper wheel to make sure you actually like using a wheel and can make the transition full time before spending a ton of cash of a fancy setup. I’ve seen lots of guys on here buy a wheel only to realize they don’t like it and then your stuck selling a near new wheel set for second hand prices to a very small market of people. Try a G29 or T300GT for a couple of months just to make sure you like it, it could end up saving you a bunch of money in the long run. Also, I have plans for a rig that can be made pretty cheaply, I can send them to you any time and walk you through the build process. :cheers:

I've actually got a T300GT RS set in my wish list on Amazon as well as a cheap stand. And by rig, you mean a framework to mount your wheel & pedals or are you building your own wheel/pedals? :confused:

This.

:lol: I tell myself I'm an adult every day, but it just doesn't feel like it. A lower priced set would lead me to spend the money easier.

Back