Multi Class Endurance. Catalunya. 03/11/2019.

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 561 comments

Where shall we race?

• Autopolis

• Blue Moon Bay Infield A

• Catalunya

Results are only viewable after voting.
Once again, thank you to everyone that took part.

Once I've figured out what work is going to be like this month (I'll get that sorted today) I'll run a series of races. They'll all be one makes, of approx 100km. Ranging from MX-5/Miatas at Willow Springs, to Indy Lights at Blue Moon Infield.

Currently have 8 races on the list. I'll tag you all in a new thread, later this evening.

Gentlemen!
Thank you very much! It. Was. Awesome!

LMP1 drivers: I'm sorry, sometimes I was all over the place :rolleyes: - those cars were insanely fast. I hit @Chevy Heavy one time ( :( ) and caused(?) problems to @Drex124 and @Sven Jurgens.
@JoeyLeonine :bowdown::cheers: great run :) . You were too fast for me :) . I had no chance to get you :) .
I was on RM/RM, 15 laps with short shifting... and that other "rolling into the corner" thing. 3 pit stops. 1:50-51 lap times :( . How did I run 1:48.xxx before that, I have no idea :S .
@Invisigoth Yep, it was me :) :cheers: (Dexter_HUN :) ). Mostly I was driving in a "void" - after half an hour my goal was to drive without penalties - and I did it along with @DelboyD :cheers:. @Granadier was behind me... for a few laps (pit stop) then he overtook me and dissapeared :D .

Thank you again everybody and congratulations for everybody :) !

awww man, that was fantastic. Cheers @Bivittavus88 for organising it, great job.

It could have ended up a really good battle with @Chevy Heavy and @Drex124 if i hadn't dumped myself in the cat litter twice (maybe 3 times :grumpy:). The 919 was doing pretty much bang on 30 mins on fuel for each stint and i finished with just over a lap left in the tank... but it was after the first pit that me and @Drex124 came out of the pits dead level until i got a bit feisty on the cold tyres and binned it. Then with @Chevy Heavy ahead by prob 20 seconds, i'm thinking 'come on man.. pit in!! PIT IN!!'

I loved navigating the Gr3 cars as well.. coming down the S/F straight and thinking 'i'm gonna make it, i'm gonna make it... MADE IT!' and dived into the right hander on rails... what a rush!

Also, the start was amazing.. the hybrid took me straight past @MaxAttack and @Sven Jurgens but then i heard what sounded like Vulcan bombers flying overhead as they both roared past me... wow, what a noise!

Great job guys, really enjoyed it.

I know. I am enjoying myself very much. I rarely feel slow in the daylies, but with you guys I knew I was slowest. And it's OK,some one has to be that.

Edit: maybe in one of the coming races I will get lucky with track and car and be less slow.

well you can take heart that the set up of the race was all about seeing how each car performed with 100% power / weight... so it was, as the Bearded Wonder says, all about enjoyment. I mean... 3 Toyota LMP1's which ****ed everyone into oblivion for ****s sake.. what ****ing chance did i have? But i really enjoyed it and i'm not bitter :lol::lol::lol:

Once again, thank you to everyone that took part.

Once I've figured out what work is going to be like this month (I'll get that sorted today) I'll run a series of races. They'll all be one makes, of approx 100km. Ranging from MX-5/Miatas at Willow Springs, to Indy Lights at Blue Moon Infield.

Currently have 8 races on the list. I'll tag you all in a new thread, later this evening.

Thanks for organising the lobby. I'll deffo be back for more.

I felt I was slow... but then came @Mistah_MCA and overtook me. After a few laps he overtook me again => probably I was again ahead of him. So probably I overtook him like... 10 times without noticing (at the main straight I was doing 257 km/h), but in the end he finished (somehow) ahead of me. Or he just lapped me 10 times... :D ?

Well that was fun!

I held off @DelboyD for a couple of laps before deciding that I really didn't have the skill to do it for the full 90 minutes. So let you through thinking I could stick with you. I couldn't. You were +1.2 secs a lap quicker overall. If I'd been brave and got Softs for the race then maybe. I just wasn't convinced I could make them last for the full fuel cycles, so played a bit more conservative. But in fairness, we did the same M/M/M/S strategy, so you just bossed me.

I let @Granadier go as well at one point as I thought you might be able to chase Delboy but then you fell off the road a couple of times. We were having a really cool strategy battle. At times I was matching your Soft pace so I was actually really excited about what was going to happen in the last 15. You would have had me after I pitted for the last time but I reckon I would have got you and that could have been a mad mad last couple of laps! That one could have gone to the flag! Alas, you forgot to refuel, twice! I actually ran out crossing the line.

But it was a funny old race, because just when I thought I was going to get lonely faces kept popping up. @Bivittavus88 lapped me, then pitted, then you outbraked yourself coming back through on the inside so had to do it all again again. That was kinda fun trying to keep up with you. I say fun. I couldn't.

Neither could I actually keep up with @Invisigoth at one point. I went really wide turn 3 and you unlapped yourself but I couldn't reel that bug back in for love nor money. You had good pace at the end. But I did laugh hard when you and @RacingGrandpa went awry together. Not at you guys per se, but at the surprise shock of a fully stopped @MaxAttack who I was following. Sorry for the bump!

Good reactions as well by the way down the back straigh at one point. Apologies for that. It was a late choice of line but you came up so fast when we both went the same way it nearly got messy!

Apologies to @Mistah_MCA as well. Again good job keeping it all together. But also, I guess, thanks for being there :lol: I'd got a little bit loose on the outside curb and was probably about to lose it completely until you straightened me up!

I think that about does it for my report. 4th in Class (sorry @NoStopN !). Who'd have thought it!

A few other quick observations.

1) I never saw @GOTMAXPOWER on track. I think you must have lapped me whilst I was in the pits.
2) @Drex124 lapped me in the same part through turn 3, 3 times in a row which I found amusing.
3) @RacingGrandpa - 'pace' is the operative word here. Our QTs for the daily races aren't too disimmilar a lot of the time and on the Mediums in Gr.3 qualy you were only 2-3 tenths behind. So you can do the speed. It's just about the consistency. The only real difference was that I'd committed to this event quite a long way out so I'd managed to get around 200 laps in in preparation and I think it showed - granted I was never going to have the 'speed' of some of the Top 3, but I was able to run my 'speed' of 48-49s pretty much all race.

You had good pace at the end. But I did laugh hard when you and @RacingGrandpa went awry together. Not at you guys per se, but at the surprise shock of a fully stopped @MaxAttack who I was following. Sorry for the bump!

Good reactions as well by the way down the back straigh at one point. Apologies for that. It was a late choice of line but you came up so fast when we both went the same way it nearly got messy!

God, yeah, that second moment was terrifying. Smashing throttle in third out of the right hander, I knew I'd catch you by about halfway to the breaking point, got right up to your bumper just as I took fourth gear. Luckily for both of us I was really locked in and focused, as soon as I saw you change line I moved over to the inside. The rear got ever so slightly loose from the quick lift and adjustment but I just used the MaxAttack philosophy - smash the go pedal and hope everything works out.

As for the first one, I laughed as well, I'm really not sure how I managed to thread the battleship through that particular pinhead. God damn that car treated me well last night.

XJR-9 most underrated gr. 1 car

EDIT: I put some effort into using my indicators to wave LMP1 cars past up the inside - typically on turn three and the last curve before everyone's favourite chicane. I wonder if any of them actually noticed? I recall @Mistah_MCA and @Pigems passing me at those corners consistently each time they lapped me.

Practices: I hit the pit entry (seriously :crazy:) every time XD
Qualification: spun out both of my laps...
Race: I was cautious :) .

Qualification *was* my practice :lol:. First time in a Gr3 with no CSA or ASM. The bug likes to rotate under power and it did not like the kerbs. Very easy for someone with little co-ordination to over correct .. and either spin out or go fishtailing into a wall ... and then the sand :scared:. I've done enough races at Catalunya to know the track. I've done enough races with tyre wear and fuel usage to deal with that. Figured qualy would be all that I needed to get my best lap, and I did have some consistency. Once the race started, one mistake lead to another, and another. It wasn't till the last 5 laps I think that I kinda had it together :rolleyes:. It was pretty harsh, but not quite as brutal on my hands as @Mistah_MCA 's 2.4h N24 :odd:.

I hit the pit entry (seriously :crazy:) every time XD

I did that in a practice run and it spun me so I got the AMG stuck sideways between the walls in the pit entry. Lost me near enough 30 secs of manouvering to actually get auto drive to help out and the pit stop cut scene to take over. Fortunately didn't do it in the race.

@MaxAttack I also tried indicating. Mostly down the home straight though. Using the DS4 I had them in the default control set in that funny big button up the top. I rarely have cause to use them so havent worked out anywhere better for them to be. But they are a 'handful' to try and cancel during a turn.

I did at least turn off the mapping for headlight flashing this time around. None of that occured when I cornered aggresively!

Last edited:
Qualification *was* my practice :lol:. First time in a Gr3 with no CSA or ASM. The bug likes to rotate under power and it did not like the kerbs. Very easy for someone with little co-ordination to over correct .. and either spin out or go fishtailing into a wall ... and then the sand :scared:. I've done enough races at Catalunya to know the track. I've done enough races with tyre wear and fuel usage to deal with that. Figured qualy would be all that I needed to get my best lap, and I did have some consistency. Once the race started, one mistake lead to another, and another. It wasn't till the last 5 laps I think that I kinda had it together :rolleyes:. It was pretty harsh, but not quite as brutal on my hands as @Mistah_MCA 's 2.4h N24 :odd:.
Good on you for working towards dropping the assists. I promise you it will pay off in the end, when you start making corrections under acceleration based only on feeling, catching the car before it ever really starts to go. Keep at it!

No assist? :) +1 :cheers:. You'll be faster without them :) .

I did that in a practice run and it spun me so I got the AMG stuck sideways between the walls in the pit entry. Lost me near enough 30 secs of manouvering to actually get auto drive to help out and the pit stop cut scene to take over. Fortunately didn't do it in the race.

Nah... there were my only chances to overtake you :D :D :D.

Good on you for working towards dropping the assists. I promise you it will pay off in the end, when you start making corrections under acceleration based only on feeling, catching the car before it ever really starts to go. Keep at it!

Erm.... NO! I don't have the time for that. It wasn't by choice. Turning them off was a requisite of entering the race :mad:. If I was using a wheel, maybe, but my co-ordination isn't good enough with sticks, and I need the triggers for gear changes to keep my finger joints happy. It took me two years of not playing for my two index fingers to recover from GT4.

Erm.... NO! I don't have the time for that. It wasn't by choice. Turning them off was a requisite of entering the race :mad:. If I was using a wheel, maybe, but my co-ordination isn't good enough with sticks, and I need the triggers for gear changes to keep my finger joints happy. It took me two years of not playing for my two index fingers to recover from GT4.
And this is the part where I remind you I also use DS4.

And no assists apart from ABS.

And I drove the XJR-9.

Without traction control.

For 90 minutes.

And didn't spin it once.

Anything is possible with hard work and self belief :)

Left stick: steering, right stick: gas/brake, L2/R2: shift up, shift down. Since Gran Turismo 3 - before that I only played on emulator. When I was a member of a (GT4) team (BTH => Ballor Team Hungary) I had to turn everything off, no assists allowed in the races. I was faster after a couple of races :) . Since then assists arealways off. I am not even averege with my speed, but I like it like this :) . Hang on ;) !

Well, you did overtake me as I came out of the pits at the first stop and I was very confused as I thought I had a big enough gap!

I was like, yeah the race is on for a bit and that I'd have to get past you, but you pitted the very next time around!
Yeah, that was scarry :D :D :D . I knew you had fresh tires, and my tires were good for ice skating and you were so much faster :D .

Well, we all have different abilities. What is easy for one might be hard or impossible for another one. Some people has problems with their joints and can in no way learn to play with out assists. Some people can easily adjust.
My kid is on the spectrum and has a mental retardation, he can be very fast against the AI but can not adapt to real people online, who are not as predictable. We all have different circumstances.

Well, we all have different abilities. What is easy for one might be hard or impossible for another one. Some people has problems with their joints and can in no way learn to play with out assists. Some people can easily adjust.
My kid is on the spectrum and has a mental retardation, he can be very fast against the AI but can not adapt to real people online, who are not as predictable. We all have different circumstances.
I agree, but,

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...

I agree, but,

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice...
Yes, practice is key to most things. But..
As an example my wife has
rheumatoid arthritis and she can play Rayman for half an hour and that's it. So no way she can practice the amount needed for something like this. Could be the same for him. We just don't know.
Or like me, who has wife and lots of kids, a limited time on hand to play leads to a limited time for practice. It's certainly doable for me,but I often stop practice and start racing with TCS so I can be competitive.

Yes, practice is key to most things. But..
As an example my wife has
rheumatoid arthritis and she can play Rayman for half an hour and that's it. So no way she can practice the amount needed for something like this. Could be the same for him. We just don't know.
Or like me, who has wife and lots of kids, a limited time on hand to play leads to a limited time for practice. It's certainly doable for me,but I often stop practice and start racing with TCS so I can be competitive.

Silly double post

Back