muscle cars...

  • Thread starter Thread starter ersh
  • 23 comments
  • 1,474 views
Messages
8
which do u guys think is the best muscle car in gt4 in terms of drivability...like cornering, speed, handling, tunability. i wanna get one but im not sure which i should get hehe.thanks in advance.
 
This is just a guess, because I don't have the game, but my guess is that an old Corvette Stingray may be one of the better turning muscle cars in the game. I could be totally wrong though.
 
I'm going with the Buick GNX, but I dont know if i'd call it a "Muscle Car" but more of a "Sports Car"
 
I'd take the Chevelle, doubt it likes to turn much...but...454 :crazy:
 
If i had the game i would get the Shelby mustang or dodge charger... i love those cars.
 
I'm liking the 69 vette! :)
 
Jake Bullet
Can someone tell me what exactly qualifies a car as a "muscle car"?

This pretty well explains it:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/musclecars.shtml

Thing is, these beasts were made back when gas was dirt cheap and extremely volatile (Super Shell 100 octane was darned near racing fuel), when the manufacturers made no attempt whatsoever to cleanse the pollutants pouring out the exhaust pipe, and a 5.4-liter engine was considered "small".

Several production engines had compression ratios of 12.5 to 1 or higher. To control pre-ignition "knock", the gasoline had an incredibly high lead content.

The power these things put out was crazy. My 380-HP 409 Impala SS would smoke its tires way into second gear, even with a Positraction limited-slip differential and tall 3.70 gears. A high school classmate showed up one day with a brand new '63 Galaxie packing the mighty cross-bolted main 427 with two four-barrel Holleys. My Chevy was slow compared to that thing. It must have been putting out something like 500 horses.

No, they didn't handle. My Impala wallowed around corners and had absurdly slow four-and-a-half-turn lock-to-lock steering. The brakes really sucked, too.

Later on, in the late '60s, Chrysler managed to make their big cars handle very well. I drove a friends' new '71 Dodge Charger 440 R/T once that was very taut, quick, and agile. I still remember my pleasant surprise at how nimble it was. It was one of the most exciting cars I've ever driven.

These cars weren't costly, either. In the mid-sixties you could drive an extremely fast car off a dealer's lot for around three grand.

It was an amazing period of automotive history. It had to end, but we sure had fun while it was going on.
 
Yeah, what he said!

The basic equation to building a muscle car ( for the factory ) was to take their smallest cars, and put the engines from their biggest cars in them. As the muscle car evolved, the powerplants were engineered for these cars instead of their slower bigger brothers.

So, we take a Bonneville, pull the motor out and slap it into a Tempest, and call it a GTO.
 
It's so depressing to think how muscle cars were so cheap in the day. And now you can't find a nice one for less than 30 grand.
 
as supprising as it may be, i found that the muscle cars that i got (Mercury Cougar XR-7, plymoth superbird, chevelle)seemed to handle pretty well. and im not even that into muscle cars as much as im into imports. very fun to drive
 
I guess it's time for me to make my first post. I've been coming to this board and reading for about a week now and it's about the same as other boards I've visited. Someone "new" asks a question and a lot of "regulars" start the bashing. Some regulars actually attempt to help but a lot of times their replies go unnoticed because it's buried in 3 pages of posts from "regulars" going completely off topic in the name of keeping the idiot newbies from cluttering up the board. My normal routine is reading through the 15-20 pages and getting what useful information about this game I can find. I've found some, but not much.

Now let me get on topic. Muscle cars. American Muscle to be specific. I live in western North Carolina, which is in the southeast US for those that don't know. We have mountains here, although they're probably considered small mountains. People around here love the muscle cars. Over in Pigeon Forge,TN car shows are held throughout the year. Thousands of people line the sidewalks as the traffic crawls by. Mustangs, Camaros, and Trans Ams are joined by Mitsubishi, Nissan, and Honda. Everybody is there showing off their ride, regardless of what it is. I've seen cars go by covered in bondo and missing doors. Almost ready to be painted, but they didn't get finished and made the trip anyway. I spent half an hour looking at a frame with a partial body on it and assorted parts laid out nice and neat. All in various states of care as this car was being restored. The sign had a price of $15,000 US dollars on it and let me tell you, people were laughing. That's a lot of money for the pathetic looking pile that was there. As I watched, someone would walk up, start reading, and then start laughing. "$15,000 for this pile of crap?" was a question I heard several times. Then they'd get to the small print and the guy had pictures for anyone serious about wanting the car. The laughing stopped, the jaws dropped, and the eyes got big when they saw that back home in the garage on an engine stand sat a completely restored Boss 429 ready and waiting for the car to be finished. I, for one, wanted it and would have gladly paid him what he was asking. I sold my '73 Mustang recently, something I didn't want to do, but things happen, you know? I used to live in SC and had a girlfriend in TN. It was a 250 mile trip, but there was one section I always loved to drive. Anyone that likes to drive Gran Turismo would love this stretch. I recommend it to anyone who has a chance. It's on I40 west of Asheville,NC. It's called "the Gorge" around here. If you hit it around 2 am, the only traffic to deal with are the tractor-trailers and they all stay in the right lane. If you're westbound to TN you'll hit one tunnel and in my opinion this is the better drive. Eastbound has an extra tunnel but I never liked that drive as much. It could have been that I was going AWAY from my g\f so take that into account. I drove that many times in my Mustang, which was just a "normal" Mustang from '73 with a "fuel efficient" 302. The fastest I ever had it was over 110 but less than 115, had to brake and could only get a glance. It had plenty left. In the gorge there are some turns that I could take at 85-90 with no traffic. I did pass a semi in a turn at 75-80, probably the favorite bit of driving I've ever had. With a good stretch out the window I could have touched the concrete wall on my left. I gave the truck plenty of room and as long as you're courteous and let them know you're coming they don't mind. I don't suggest being the slightest bit reckless around them, they don't like that at all. Make sure they know you're there and that you're "driving" and they'll give you room. Now, I've played several games with muscle cars in them and have yet to find one that drives anywhere close to these cars in real life. They are heavy, but very driveable. I only lost mine twice. The back end came a little too far out in a turn but after a little sliding and wheel work it was back in line. The other time was leaving work. I made a left out of the parking lot onto a wet road in a hurry to run down my friend who had just left. It took two lanes of highway and quite a bit of grass but I at least kept it going in the general direction I was heading until it hooked up. My mistake,lol.

I, for one, love muscle cars. I also love a little "foreign" number that is light and quick. I've never bought anything but Mustangs and I don't see that changing, but that doesn't mean I can't like other cars as well. My brother in law hated Fords until he drove mine. Now, he says if he won the lottery the first thing he'd buy is a 2005 Mustang. This from a diehard Camaro fan. He now agrees with my statement that if you like to drive, it doesn't matter what emblem is on the car. I also say that "Brian" would have lost his Evo if he hadn't been the star.

One day soon I plan on riding with my brother in law on a trip to Highlands,NC. I'll have the video camera as we take Hwy 28 to Franklin and will upload it. This road is cut into the side of the mountain and the rock is right up to the white line in places, especially curves. Deep Forest and Trial Mountain come to mind.

Ok, my time is up for this morning. Flame this "newbie" if you want to waste your time, I don't care. I didn't force you to read my post anymore than you forced me to read all the other pages of nothing on this board. I'll post what I want when I want to just as you do, and I'll keep it courteous when I do it. I have a life and I'm the one that lives it. I mind my own business and only post when I feel the urge or I have an answer to a question, from a newbie or not and whether you consider it "stupid" or not. I'm not the best driver ever, I don't know everything, and I probably can't beat your time, but I can be respectful to others and help someone out now and then. Other than that I keep my mouth shut and my mind on my own life, so don't waste your valuable time on me. I'm not the argument you're looking for. C_W
 
Gee, that makes my first post look rather weak :D

I think things around here will probably calm down once all of us in the US finally have our games, since we'll be the last to get them.

After that, I'm hoping the discussions turn to "put up or shut up" when it comes to saying whether a particular car would beat a particular car, etc.
 
my dream car is a 69' - 72' NOVA, but the closest thing to that in GT4 would be the 70' CHEVELLE, so i will have to get me one of those 👍
 
I had a Hemicuda that handled very well in GT2. GT4, I have no idea.

I really want a '65 GTO, not the fastest muscle car out there but it's awesome, just... :drool:

EDIT: Cobra 427 would probably be the best handling car, now that I think of it, nice fat tires and very light. No matter what car you get, though, be prepared for a tail-happy, torquey ride. ;)
 
Double_R
dnt get one they dont turn at all.

With muscle cars you turn with the rear tires..re: oversteer on demand !!
👍 👍
 
i wish that they had included more muscle cars like the Dodge Darts and Demons, but i guess the Charger will do.
 
Double_R
dnt get one they dont turn at all.

maybe I'm wrong as I don't live in THE muscle car country sadly....
but I think they are not supposed to turn they are supposed to powerslide on the right or the left lol I love muscle cars :)
 
Check this out:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/0302_lux_web/index1.html

This is how serious the American manufacturers were about racing back then.

Remember, even these monsters were readily available, and the prices were not out of reach for middle-income Americans. You could just walk into any Ford dealer and order one. As I recall, delivery time was about six weeks or so for any special-order American car.
 
Back