My Dirtbike - KTM 570 EXC Supermotard

• Thread starter Small_Fryz
  • 77 comments
I have been riding for 20yrs on the dirt, but tarmac and road tyres are new to me, what would you consider being the best way to come to terms with the increased lean angle and grip? Any little exercises I can do or something?

Well when I first went onto a bike with road tires, it didn't resemble riding dirt at all. Now that was going from an MX bike to a sportbike, so half of it is getting used to the machine, which is going to make it easier for you since your bike is the same.

The other half is the grip and the way you can use it.

Asphalt is going to be more consistent than dirt, (barring debris and fluid) and you can get away with so much because of the grip. The problem is that when you lose grip, the transition time is much shorter.

I can slide around a 450MX flat track bike with relative ease, just playing with the throttle with the thing sideways. But if I tried to do that on my 600 then I'd either lowside or get thrown over the thing.
I can slide it out of turns, but it requires a lot more concentration, because you're walking a much thinner line.

The dirt is good because it'll go easily (The tire slide), and it's easy to control, which means that when you go to pavement you'll know what to do, but it's a lot harder because when it goes on pavement, it usually just snaps.

But it'll be easier because it's a supermoto.👍

Don't try to find the limits right away, after you're comfortable with the bike then try sliding the rear a bit out of turns at low speed to feel how the tire reacts on pavement. The lean angle isn't really an issue because you can just send it down further, but again, after you've been riding it for a bit.

I'm guessing that the biggest thing you'll find different is how much front brake you'll have to use compared to the dirt.
In dirt you can run around pretty quick without ever touching the front brake, but you'll need to use it on the street, a lot.
On a supersports bike at a track, you don't even need to touch the back brake.
There is so much weight transfer that any use of the back brake will just make it the bike slide because the rear end is barely on the ground.

But it's a lot easier with a supermoto because there is less weight transfer, so it's like a middle ground between dirt, and a sports bike.
It won't just instantly lock the second you put pressure on it.

You can use the back brake to help steer the bike into a turn after you've gained more experience with it.

Best advice I can give is to go to a trackday. You'll be able to try and push you and your bike in a safe environment with experienced riders who can give you advice and help you out.
Plus it's really really really really fun.:dopey:

I can't organize thoughts very well...:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the advice mate 👍

Rims have rocked up and I have the new tyres all fitted!!
1379522_10151646286927657_580674916_n.jpg

960181_10151646135327657_864773803_n.jpg

Now just waiting on a set of Disc bolts to install the new Disc brakes to the new rims, and waiting for my suspension to come back from being adjusted!!

Not long now :D

Awesome so far! Looks like its coming together quite nicely. Have fun with it man.

So the big end bearing failed..... what a shame..

So to make myself feel better I decided to go all out...
Its currently getting a big bore kit... going from 530 to 570... also getting the head port polished and an aftermarket ignition system + re jetting. The motard wheels are all fitted and the 320mm front brake disc is sorted too. Getting it all re-geared as well. Once up and running it should do about 120mph with roll on power wheelies at anything 60mph and under.

Can't wait.

Sounds like she's going to be quite a beast. You should definitely document the build.

HJjkoNQ.jpg

You can see the engine on the left. Bike completely apart. I picked up all the parts and delivered them yesterday.. hoping to get some pics of it completed soon. Head has already been ported and shaved too :D.

What a weapon...

So its complete and running!!!

New sticker kit is epic, also got an overheat fan put in and replaced the grips / throttle slider.
In two minds weather to keep the bash plate off and also weather to remove the radiator guards as they do tend to limit the airflow, though an option is to cut them out a touch as well.

oT94KPb.jpg

e0tAWyt.jpg

Geared so it just ticks along in top gear at 60mph and 50mph in 5th though will go to 90mph in 5th before needing to shift, so overtaking is so simple.

Roll on wheelies at speeds under 45-50mph makes this thing super fun to ride and just a complete weapon in point to point riding. The 320mm brake disc makes a huge improvement over the standard one, id say braking power is almost doubled, which now gives me so much more confidence riding on the road.

My dad has a GoPro, so I will aim to steal that from him and record a bit of a vid at some point.

Anyway its now at a stage that makes it a seriously fun bike and while its taken a while to get here I'm very very happy with it. Guess I should update the thread to KTM 570 :sly:

Last edited:
Awesome! Looks like great fun to ride. I wish I had a bike as nice as that. Want to trade for a Suzuki cruiser? ;)

I quite like it.
It looks like it has my initials on the offside fork leg.
I'm quite sure it's not supposed to say WP, right?
I mean, only a moron would put TWO sets of decals on upside down.....

:mischievous:

It's too slow though.

:irked:👍

I quite like it.
It looks like it has my initials on the offside fork leg.
I'm quite sure it's not supposed to say WP, right?
I mean, only a moron would put TWO sets of decals on upside down.....

:mischievous:

It's too slow though.

:irked:👍

KTM WP PDS supremacy!

It should be MPE Suspension :lol:

Well the old rims I had were cheap ones I got off the internet and they ended up falling apart with loose spokes + destroying the rear cush drive hub.

So after 6mths of downtime and some planning I finally have the baby back on the road. Running a brand new set of Excel Rims. Ended up paying the bikeshop for a service as well and it was totally worth the money. The thing is super smooth and so much fun to ride.

I'll have to make a video of it in Action as well.

Back