My obsession with the Nordschleife.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 1,169 comments
I've got probably at least a thousand driving hours on Nordschleife from Forza 2, I know the track like the back of my hand. Then I went to GT6 and it's similar, but I find a couple of corners harder, especially where the road is a lot lot bumpier and uneven on GT6, and the lighting is a lot different, which makes 1 particular corner hard I don't know the name of it- the one at around the end of 2 minute - 3 minute mark ish in 500 ish PP cars where you're going down and you have to brake after a gentle sweeping right to a tight right leading onto a long straight slowly sweeping left- that corner lol it's much harder to judge in GT6.

Can't think of any section of the Nordschleife that fits that description. Unless you meant to say a 'sweeping left' (the corner where Lauda had his accident), instead of right, which would make the corner you're talking about Bergwerk.

Can't think of any section of the Nordschleife that fits that description. Unless you meant to say a 'sweeping left' (the corner where Lauda had his accident), instead of right, which would make the corner you're talking about Bergwerk.

I interpreted it the same way.

I find Bergwerk to be the hardest single corner to consistently get right on the whole lap... always feels like I'm braking too early, but if I brake any later I don't make the apex! And you have to get a good exit from Bergwerk as I determines your speed all the way up the hill.

I think I am up to about 7000kms total in the game, 5500 of them are on Nordschleife.

If there was no career mode or seasonal events forcing you to drive on those 'other' tracks I'm not sure I'd ever see them

I interpreted it the same way.

I find Bergwerk to be the hardest single corner to consistently get right on the whole lap... always feels like I'm braking too early, but if I brake any later I don't make the apex! And you have to get a good exit from Bergwerk as I determines your speed all the way up the hill.
...and the last corner before the long straigth...Nedd to be very fast on there...but is hard.:crazy:

24h and the VLN, that i know...

Apart from the two that you had mentioned there is a really interesting championship in the old Nürburgring. The RCN. I quote the description of it: "It stands for solid, classless performance and competition, featuring vehicles of more than 27 rating classes and groups. That’s touring car sport at the highest level. The eight races of the season are organised by various motorsports clubs that have united to form the Rundstrecken-Challenge Nürburgring e. V. (RCN)."

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events/series/rcn-circuit-challenge.html

There is another one that is very very related with what we do in our free runs on the green hell. The GLP.
"The GLP is all about hundredth of seconds. The goal is to orbit the Nürburgring North Loop with lap times as constant as possible. Whoever has the least variation wins.

Conditions of participation include road-legal cars and DMSB-approved helmets. This series is about such values as constancy, regularity, solidity and precision. Among the participants are the top teams of the VLN Long Distance Championship Nürburgring. The GLP is a classless society – here, a Smart can beat a Porsche because lap time doesn’t play a role".

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events/series/glp-regularity-test.html

Doesn't sound it interesting? Could be an amazing challenge IRL or even if the PD guys make some kind of challenge like that in the game.

Another classic from the Nordschleife's calendar is the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix. A huge amount of impressive classic cars roaring in the North Loop...

And there are a lot of track days, private tests for manufacturers, Tourist rides, and even a running event.

One hundred miles? Try 2,600.:D

The only reason I'm not accumulating more is because I let my brother borrow my PS3 for the week.:indiff:

That was 100 miles that day, before I posted the thread lol.

Glad to see there is still love for the old girl.

Will be running a few laps today at some point. Need to get a fast lap completed with the x14 standard.

Apart from the two that you had mentioned there is a really interesting championship in the old Nürburgring. The RCN. I quote the description of it: "It stands for solid, classless performance and competition, featuring vehicles of more than 27 rating classes and groups. That’s touring car sport at the highest level. The eight races of the season are organised by various motorsports clubs that have united to form the Rundstrecken-Challenge Nürburgring e. V. (RCN)."

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events/series/rcn-circuit-challenge.html

There is another one that is very very related with what we do in our free runs on the green hell. The GLP.
"The GLP is all about hundredth of seconds. The goal is to orbit the Nürburgring North Loop with lap times as constant as possible. Whoever has the least variation wins.

Conditions of participation include road-legal cars and DMSB-approved helmets. This series is about such values as constancy, regularity, solidity and precision. Among the participants are the top teams of the VLN Long Distance Championship Nürburgring. The GLP is a classless society – here, a Smart can beat a Porsche because lap time doesn’t play a role".

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/events/series/glp-regularity-test.html

Doesn't sound it interesting? Could be an amazing challenge IRL or even if the PD guys make some kind of challenge like that in the game.

Another classic from the Nordschleife's calendar is the AvD Oldtimer Grand Prix. A huge amount of impressive classic cars roaring in the North Loop...

And there are a lot of track days, private tests for manufacturers, Tourist rides, and even a running event.
I was waiting for the masters of information. ;)👍

Back to ring lapping for me.

Recent Laps:

Nissan Skyline GTR R32 TC: 6:52
Nissan Skyline GTR R33 TC: 6:51

I was introduced to the Ring by NFS Shift and immediately fell in love with the challenge. It is beautifully rendered in GT5/6 and remains a perennial favorite of mine. The variety/number of turns means there's something for everyone and the length of the track makes it unique because completing a fast, clean lap requires your full concentration for the full ~8-12 minutes rather than the typical 2-3 minutes for a lap at most other tracks.

I like to take my favorite cars there stock and just turn laps, and occasionally take screenshots. It's a great way to gain appreciation for both the cars and the track. Just the other day I took out my RUF Yellowbird - newly modded to original Porsche specs - and did a lap (didn't have time for more). It was a real treat and I can't wait to get back behind the wheel!

As for real life, I can only dream. I'm a family man of modest means living in the States. I would surely jump at the chance to drive the Ring for real, but I can't imagine how much that would cost. :bowdown:

Last edited:
Is there a GT-R trophy or some other trophy for the 'Ring this time around :confused:

The S-level full lap mission race is on the 'Ring. Offhand, I think it's either the Type V circuit or the 24-hr circuit, rather than just the Nordschleife. There's also one or two regular races that are there, including an IA-level 15-minute race.

The S-level full lap mission race is on the 'Ring. Offhand, I think it's either the Type V circuit or the 24-hr circuit, rather than just the Nordschleife. There's also one or two regular races that are there, including an IA-level 15-minute race.

That mission on the 'Ring was awesome - but the GT40 is quite a handful if you turn off ABS. Still can beat the gold time by many seconds and it's quite fun in the conditions.

Definitely 'Ring obsessed here... I've only been a passenger at the real track (in the Zakspeed Viper), but I've just passed 8000 virtual laps recently (that was before I got GT6). Funny thing, in GT6 I've only done maybe 30 laps so far. I've had the game less than a month, though. But now that I'll probably be forever stuck at 99% (only that GDMFing S drifting remains to gold), looks like the time to start doing lots of practicing at the 'Ring is now :)

Just got one of my fav cars from GT5 all set up for the 'Ring and it can take the 2-lap 750pp GT race easily... the GT-R LM Concept race car with its awesome 7 gears and pretty good sound too.

I only did one recon lap with the Formula Gran Turismo, it has nowhere near the same ability for staying on the track around super-fast corners now, so I couldn't quite break the 5 minute mark. Need to work on the tuning and then maybe...

Edit: a good SEASONAL race at the 'Ring would be nice (hint, hint PD)...

Last edited:
That mission on the 'Ring was awesome - but the GT40 is quite a handful if you turn off ABS. Still can beat the gold time by many seconds and it's quite fun in the conditions.

Definitely 'Ring obsessed here... I've only been a passenger at the real track (in the Zakspeed Viper), but I've just passed 8000 virtual laps recently (that was before I got GT6). Funny thing, in GT6 I've only done maybe 30 laps so far. I've had the game less than a month, though. But now that I'll probably be forever stuck at 99% (only that GDMFing S drifting remains to gold), looks like the time to start doing lots of practicing at the 'Ring is now :)

Just got one of my fav cars from GT5 all set up for the 'Ring and it can take the 2-lap 750pp GT race easily... the GT-R LM Concept race car with its awesome 7 gears and pretty good sound too.

I only did one recon lap with the Formula Gran Turismo, it has nowhere near the same ability for staying on the track around super-fast corners now, so I couldn't quite break the 5 minute mark. Need to work on the tuning and then maybe...

Edit: a good SEASONAL race at the 'Ring would be nice (hint, hint PD)...
8.000 laps... :bowdown:

I’ve never considered it a good race track compared to Spa or Suzuka, but it’s an awesome TT track.

I can agree with this. As a race track it's frustrating as hell because of the narrow-ness and the relative lack of overtaking zones. Spa, Monza, Suzuka, Laguna Seca and Willow Springs all seem to have more overtaking opportunities than the Nordschleife despite being shorter tracks. I know they don't really have more opportunities singe the Nordschleife is so long, but it sure feels that way when I'm trying to get around someone cleanly!

The GP-Strecke is a great racetrack too, but for fun solo laps it pales in comparison to its big brother.

Bergwerk is the one :) used to be a pretty easy corner on Forza, not so much on GT6.

I'm a 'Ring fanatic and I'm closing the 1000 laps over 3 games. i have a very strong memory which helpes me a lot but it takes me a while to to post a clean lap, bu the sense of achievement is great.

I know the thing like the palm of my hand and I can play a mental replay of it and still can' t do the corner before Aremberg.

I know the thing like the palm of my hand and I can play a mental replay of it and still can' t do the corner before Aremberg.
Schwedenkreuz.

If you're running off, try taking it slower and/or turning in earlier. Also, the car may be unsettled if you don't do the bend right before it right. The car is unweighted (maybe even leaves the ground completely) coming over the rise.

I find that with Schwedenkreuz, it's easy to turn in too late, and if you do that at the limit, you're done, as the track falls away a bit as you come around the turn so you can't really adjust your speed. If you turn in a little early, the worst thing that happens is you drop inside tires onto the grass, but that doesn't typically upset the car.

Schwedenkreuz.

If you're running off, try taking it slower and/or turning in earlier. Also, the car may be unsettled if you don't do the bend right before it right. The car is unweighted (maybe even leaves the ground completely) coming over the rise.

I find that with Schwedenkreuz, it's easy to turn in too late, and if you do that at the limit, you're done, as the track falls away a bit as you come around the turn so you can't really adjust your speed. If you turn in a little early, the worst thing that happens is you drop inside tires onto the grass, but that doesn't typically upset the car.

This corner is my nemesis.

Easily the corner I go off at the most, to take it safely is to take it slowly, to take it quickly is to not know if your going to make it.

Its getting the car settled for the brakes before Aremberg that I struggle with. This is also where I find out if it was a good idea to turn off abs or not.

I never had an issue with it on gt5, but in 6 I just can't seem to get it right consistently. If I get it right, I feel like I took it too slowly and that it is letting down the rest of the lap.

Yes, i fell in love wih the green hell since GT5. Been testing all my cars ther ever since. Whenever i feel stressed or depressed, i fired up GT just to drive at the nurb (and ended up spinning). I love that track.

The Nurburgring is a track in Germany, the country famous for the Autobahn (and other stuff...). It's in the middle of a forest that surrounds a castle. It's the longest and most difficult race track in the world. It has the most elevation change. There are 73 turns. Every year 3 to 12 people die there. The fact that you can drive on that track as many times as you want. You can crash into the wall as many times as you want and not get a single scratch. I guess that's probably why all motor-heads are obsessed with it.

We are both sick of the same disease: Le Mans. I love Indy, but it's the most difficult bit of the circuit for me.

But in my case, 908 all the time. My best lap ever is 3min20.823, in GT6.

I like the Nordschleife, but Le Sarthe is the best...
Just bought a PS3 a few months ago after coming back home just to play GT and drive the Nordschleife, but I end up driving in France much more...

Also, just joined because I found this thread on Google. So yeah, I guess the disease is more widespread than the original poster thought....

BMW Z4 M Coupe: Bimmer, RWD, Proper Manual, E46 M3 engine in it, COMES IN BROWN, wierd looking, GENIUS

Let's see how it does on the ring :sly:

Result: 7:50. A respectable lap.

Last edited:
This corner is my nemesis.

Easily the corner I go off at the most, to take it safely is to take it slowly, to take it quickly is to not know if your going to make it.

Its getting the car settled for the brakes before Aremberg that I struggle with. This is also where I find out if it was a good idea to turn off abs or not.

I never had an issue with it on gt5, but in 6 I just can't seem to get it right consistently. If I get it right, I feel like I took it too slowly and that it is letting down the rest of the lap.

I don't run no-ABS, and I switched from controller to a wheel going from GT5 to GT6, but Schwedenkreuz doesn't really seem any different to me in terms of the kind of speed I can carry through it. High downforce cars on racing tires, 150 to 160 mph (maybe even a little more if I sac up and nail the turn-in); street cars are more like 120 to 130 mph. I do seem to have to be a little bit more careful getting on the brakes into Aremberg, as the car will wash out if I drop a wheel off when I brake, but my braking point is still the same.

Back