My obsession with the Nordschleife.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 1,169 comments
I've only just done the 24 minutes of Nurburgring, didn't pit once because I knew I could drive with okish tyres. Didn't even look at the fuel. Couldn't believe it, I had to roll from the final left to the finish line, I couldn't bloody believe it lol

It's the only track I use outside of the career mode, of 7.350 km I have driven in total, 3.250 km where in the Nordschleife. That's 156 laps. I never race, I only enter free run lobbies.

Here's a video I recorded today with a stock McLaren F1, quality isn't great but I hope it is enjoyable. Watch in HD but not in fullscreen.

I copy the description from youtube.

This is not a hot lap, just trying to be as fast as possible while still having fun with some powerslides.

Car is stock, sport hard tyres, only aid is ABS=1

Logitech G25, I use the paddles because my H shifter is broken.

It's the only track I use outside of the career mode, of 7.350 km I have driven in total, 3.250 km where in the Nordschleife. That's 156 laps. I never race, I only enter free run lobbies.

Here's a video I recorded today with a stock McLaren F1, quality isn't great but I hope it is enjoyable. Watch in HD but not in fullscreen.

I copy the description from youtube.

Great driving man!
Mind that kurb before Adenauer Forst! Damn thing flips me if I even look at it on anything stickier than sports soft.

Bentley EXP Speed 8: 5:57

I have a long and storied history with this racecar spanning multiple different racing games.

I love the OP, it's a great description of how much fun can be had with GT by simply time trialing at your favourite circuits. It's my favourite past time with this game.

I was obsessed with the 'green hell' in GT4, it was so exciting at the time to drive this circuit that I had never driven in any other game, and will most certainly never get to drive in real life. Right now in GT6, I'm completely obsessed with Ascari and Mt Panorama. Both are superb circuits, Ascari amazes me because it is a relatively new circuit and most modern circuits are boring as s^*%! It's got a great mix of everything, I just love it.

As for Mt Panorama, because I'm Australian it's going to hold a very special place in my heart always. It is the second best track in the world. It's so good to finally have it in Gran Turismo. I have spent all day today driving low PP cars at Mt Panorama exclusively, comparing their lap times and practising the circuit. Like the 'ring, you learn something new every day on the track that proves a bit faster.

Such is my obsession with the above two tracks I have hardly driven my prior two favourites, Nordschleife & Tsukuba, in GT6! :)

Last night I did the 15 minute race on the Ring for the first time. What fun! I took my C7.R-inspired Corvette that had won me the first two 15 minute races and had a blast. The car handled great but had enough liveliness in it to keep you honest and the Ring makes it such a challenge to pass! I try to race the AI as if they are real people ... ie cleanly and such. I crossed the line at the end of the second lap with about 10 seconds left. Normally I would be mad to have to go another lap but I had a pretty epic battle for the win with the BMW F1 race car that lasted the entire lap. We traded the lead a few times but he had it going into the very last turn. At that point I decided I had to go for the win so I dove in extra deep underneath him and forced my way by. There may have been a "little" contact, which I'm not proud of, but it was for the win! :D

Last night I did the 15 minute race on the Ring for the first time. What fun! I took my C7.R-inspired Corvette that had won me the first two 15 minute races and had a blast. The car handled great but had enough liveliness in it to keep you honest and the Ring makes it such a challenge to pass! I try to race the AI as if they are real people ... ie cleanly and such. I crossed the line at the end of the second lap with about 10 seconds left. Normally I would be mad to have to go another lap but I had a pretty epic battle for the win with the BMW F1 race car that lasted the entire lap. We traded the lead a few times but he had it going into the very last turn. At that point I decided I had to go for the win so I dove in extra deep underneath him and forced my way by. There may have been a "little" contact, which I'm not proud of, but it was for the win! :D

These are the races that I enjoy the most. Despite been racing against the AI I like to play clean races, to wait until the best moment to overtake them. In the ring this mean to wait a bunch of corners, but its the magic of racing there: it is narrow, bumpy, the curbs try to kill you and there are no space for mistakes. So, you have to be very careful and choose with your head and not with your heart the overtaking points.

Tonight I fancied a change from hotlapping.

I decided to take the stock N24 GTR with all aids off inc abs 0, arcade race at the nurburgring 24h infinite laps , with ai aggressiveness set to 10 and professional, time 60.

I was lapping for a good hour and a half, overtaking everyone cleanly, catching the rabbit, slow the rabbit down and bunch up the pack, then drop to the back and start over.

Lots of fun keeping everything clean and tidy.
Might make it rain tomorrow.

Does the pit stop bug thing work in arcade?

Its my go to track for when I am wanting to chill out in the game and just drive. I like it because of its massive differences in elevation and how it has every type of corner conceivable.

That and its a mountain course. Who doesnt like touge?

Nordschleife sux. Its just a public road for noobs to drive on that requires no skill. Are you going to do the shopping grandma? Watch out for all those negligible corners and mostly straights.

Come at me bro.

Do I sound convincing?

:gtpflag:

Last edited:
As sheldon would say
you are now on my list :P lol

I think he says congratulations you made my list lol.

Seriously though, looking at the video Plidex posted further up of his Mclaren f1 lap, it makes me realise how much I disagree with people who say because gt6 has so much more grippier tyres than in real life, you need to use comfort mediums even on supercars.

Plidex is in a constant state of slide in that video and hes on sports hard! Imagine if he did what people say is realistic and used comfort mediums. It would be like driving on ice.

When you watch for example a real lap of the same car lapping nurburg, they hardly ever break traction. I know they may be going slower, but in gt6 even if you drove at that slower speed you would still be sliding around like crazy.

Its my go to track for when I am wanting to chill out in the game and just drive. I like it because of its massive differences in elevation and how it has every type of corner conceivable.

That and its a mountain course. Who doesnt like touge?
I use for a rally stage too...

I think he says congratulations you made my list lol.

Seriously though, looking at the video Plidex posted further up of his Mclaren f1 lap, it makes me realise how much I disagree with people who say because gt6 has so much more grippier tyres than in real life, you need to use comfort mediums even on supercars.

Plidex is in a constant state of slide in that video and hes on sports hard! Imagine if he did what people say is realistic and used comfort mediums. It would be like driving on ice.

When you watch for example a real lap of the same car lapping nurburg, they hardly ever break traction. I know they may be going slower, but in gt6 even if you drove at that slower speed you would still be sliding around like crazy.

Sorry, I have to disagree.

GT6 'Ring times are, for the most part, stupidly fast, and this can't simply be down to how fast cars accelerate and how fast their top speeds are c.f. real life.

Have a look at the Nurburgring lap times leaderboard (link in my signature).

Yesterday, whilst heavily hung over, I ran a 6'56 lap in a stock McLaren MP4-12C on sports hard tyres... took me about 30 mins of trying to get that. Half an hour later, @Sutuki ran a 6'48. @mike_gt3 has run a 6'49 in a stock McLaren F1, and there are a whole heap of cars running GT6 lap times miles faster than they would be capable of in real life.

SH tyres have waaay too much grip for road cars.

Sorry, meant to add...

When testing some weeks ago, I found fitting CM to a Ferrari 458 gave similar lap times at Tsukuba to the real car.

Last edited:
Sorry, I have to disagree.

:snip:

SH tyres have waaay too much grip for road cars.

I thought that was more to do with how air resistance is modeled in the game as there seems to be none at all,
The cars slip a bit more so less tyre grip, But accel easier and have unrealistic top speeds, which over powers the lack of tyre grip, just look at the 300mph club thread that I can't seem to find right now lol

Its crazy how many 1000hp cars got in there,
(just as an example)
The veyron 1000hp did 253 the super sport needed 200bhp extra just to get a tiny 14mph more.
so drag can't be right in GT6 if about 20 cars hit 300mph so easy.

Air resistance/drag is miles off, but that doesn't explain all the time differences.

The MP4 does c.202mph on the back straight - fast, but I'd guess not miles away from reality.

You only need to look at how short braking distances are on SH tyres, or how high the apex speeds are in the really fast corners - some corners are flat in the game that you'd need to brake for in RL.

Air resistance/drag is miles off, but that doesn't explain all the time differences.

The MP4 does c.202mph on the back straight - fast, but I'd guess not miles away from reality.

You only need to look at how short braking distances are on SH tyres, or how high the apex speeds are in the really fast corners - some corners are flat in the game that you'd need to brake for in RL.

I think those all play a part but the biggest is the 'Oh Poop, I'm going too fast, I'm gonna die' factor. As in, there is none in GT6.

90% (made up statistic) of drivers in real life avoid losing traction, either they are going for a lap record and don't want to lose time, or they are driving their personal car and don't want to crash.

You can drive the F1 in GT6 on sport hards without losing traction, you have to be gentle with the throttle, and I wasn't.

I have driven it with comfort mediums, it felt like it was sliding too much, but I don't know if it's more realistic or not, if I ever fulfill my dream of owning an F1 I'll be happy to make a comparison, or not, I don't think I would be brave enough to get anywhere near the limit.

I think those all play a part but the biggest is the 'Oh Poop, I'm going too fast, I'm gonna die' factor. As in, there is none in GT6.
I dont know.

I regularly have genuine sphincter pinchers on sports hards with fast Road cars, or fast race cars with racing hards on the Nordschleife, part of the reason I love the track. Grip reduction set to real and no assists helps the sensation greatly.

I don't know if it's an immersion thing.

I have had many online races on gt5 where I have been literally sweating with a proper adrenaline rush going on. I let myself sink into every tiny source of feedback I can.

No doubt the Nordschleife is still my favorite course in the series for pure driving, but these days I find myself heading to Bathurst as well when I'm in for a bit of technical driving fun. The top of the mountain is just insane. A run uphill from a tight right into an uphill blind right-hand sweeper, followed by a mad dash through a couple of loose, bumpy left-handers separated by a straight, and then in no time at all you find yourself braking from ridiculous speeds into a tight, downhill chicane... it's that one part of every great track that sends chills down your spine. It's so thrilling because of the stupid speeds you can carry through there, but get it wrong by half an inch and you're in the fence. The only reason I like the Nordschleife more is because it's 13 miles of the same thrills and scares found at Mount Panorama.

This is a lap of the Nurburgring in near 900bhp Porsche 918 on MPS Cup 2 tyres (equivalent to SH tyres IMO), with a recognised 'Ring expert at the wheel (Marc Lieb)... lap time is 7m 57s and is the current Global production car record.

It's doubtful a McLaren P1 would go 10s faster than this, never mind a stock MP4C-12.

SH tyres have way too much grip for stock road cars.

Latest Posts

Back