Nascar 21 to be called NASCAR NXT

They all stated the game is NOT on the latest build and that the day patch is missing. I've got the CE edition waiting and I am confident we'll see good postlaunch support. No challenges so far and that IS a real bummer!

Last edited:
I truly get the sense that NASCAR (and to some extent, Indycar) really treats iRacing as its own officially licensed game considering how closely the two are intertwined, and how much new content, especially new tracks (Chicago street circuit and the LA Coliseum short track come to mind) have been added to the service.

Seems like my estimations are growing true.

I really have to wonder why they sent out review copies with no NDA attached. Even in footage like the Sonoma race in the below video where the game itself is running fine there are still glaring issues like cars/drivers not matching their real performance and the leaderboard going nuts.

I have to imagine it's a massive oversight or these issues won't be addressed in the D1 patch as the footage getting posted is not good marketing.

I am confident we'll see good postlaunch support.
I'm not. Firstly because this is a yearly launch series, so they are going to have to shift focus not long after launch, especially since their whole excuse for releasing a stripped down title was the fact it was their first. Secondly, the workload at Motorsports Games is going to get increasingly heavy as time progresses since they will be working on NASCAR '22, BTCC (2022), Le Mans/WEC (early access in 2022), IndyCar (2023) plus continuing development of Kart Kraft and RFactor 2.

Now obviously the studio behind the NASCAR title won't be handling all of that, but I have to imagine some of the resources that were put behind getting Ignition off the ground will be re-allocated to other projects.
Seems like my estimations are growing true.
Unfortunately my predictions are doing the same thing...

I'm starting to worry these Motorsports Games titles will just be shovelware that misses a lot of the finer details involved in each of the disciplines they are targeting.

I haven't seen anything that indicates they care for anything besides money.
I wasn't expecting it to come to fruition on the very first game, or that they would also be missing major details though...

Last edited:
Unfortunately my predictions are doing the same thing...
Certainly wasn't doubting it at all, FWIW.

I think it's pretty clear both things can be true, both independently of one another and in totality. It's clear Motorsport Games generally don't care about the quality of their games, and at the same time, it's pretty clear NASCAR doesn't give a **** as long as the checks clear. Sort of like WWE 2K in a way - why would you care if you are the licensor? You still ultimately get your cash, because you're the only game in town. People either buy because they want to see the hilarity unfold, or they realize that it's the only game in town and just plunk the money down to begin with.

With NASCAR specifically, it's pretty clear they value their partnership with iRacing a hell of a lot more - and at least iRacing as a developer care more about any potential damage a bad release of content or patch will cause then Motorsport does.

THIS GAME IS GLORIOUS, OH MY GOD, IT'S THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING
It will probably take 3 years to finish after release and have things tacked onto it even in 2031 knowing S397.
(in response to the screen shots that were just a single car on a track)
The game isn't probably even ready yet. S397 has a very shaky history of meeting deadlines and releasing finished products.
I TOLD YOU ALL SO!!!! I REALLY DID!!!!

Last edited:
Was anyone really surprised, though? Day one patches are just the norm now, to the point where people even start to get suspicious if there isn't one pushed out within 24 hours of a game's release.

Last edited:
Good hopefully that'll address some of the performance issues like pop-in and frame dips we've seen. I'm most curious to see what the next gen patch will bring.

Edit: whoa I totally misread that. The game in it's current state is already day one patched?! Yikes!

Last edited:
Sort of like WWE 2K in a way - why would you care if you are the licensor? You still ultimately get your cash, because you're the only game in town. People either buy because they want to see the hilarity unfold, or they realize that it's the only game in town and just plunk the money down to begin with.
Fire Pro Wrestling World?
With NASCAR specifically, it's pretty clear they value their partnership with iRacing a hell of a lot more - and at least iRacing as a developer care more about any potential damage a bad release of content or patch will cause then Motorsport does.
I wonder if NASCAR signing a lifetime exclusivity deal with iRacing would be a better thing for the community, then...? Another idea I had in mind would be a NR2003 decompilation/reimplementation project, although that might be far-flung considering (a) iRacing's history of threatening NR2003 executable modders (although it seems to have stopped now) and (b) the re3/reVC (GTA 3 reimplementation) vs Take-Two lawsuit being in progress.

This crash is absolutely glorious.

Note: Make sure you mute the video as it's slow motion so the sound is terrible.

@Scaff, I'm guessing this is what you're hoping for.

I know, it was just a convenient chance to get a little horn tooting in. :lol:

Absolutely, it's going to be absurdly amusing

I wonder if NASCAR signing a lifetime exclusivity deal with iRacing would be a better thing for the community, then...?
It would massively limit the community, removing all console sales from the equation, which make up the bulk of the sales, and also assumes that iRacing is a solid platform for PC take-up as well. which it arguably isn;t given a good number of PC sim-racers don't buy into its subscription model and (still) wonky tyre physics.

This crash is absolutely glorious.

Note: Make sure you mute the video as it's slow motion so the sound is terrible.

@Scaff, I'm guessing this is what you're hoping for.

I know, it was just a convenient chance to get a little horn tooting in. :lol:

That accident looks like a normal restrictor plate wreck if the track was a swamp/quicksand.

Comparing Fire Pro to WWE2K is like comparing an apple to a tomato. They may look somewhat similar on the outside, but when you bite into them they're very different, and Fire Pro's gameplay generally doesn't appeal to the people who want a WWE style experience (for better or worse).

Same could be said for iRacing vs. the Heat series too. Not everyone wants the type of experience that iRacing offers and, as @Scaff mentioned, it would exclude the entire console market which still makes up a pretty large portion of people who play video games.

Call me hopefully or stupid.....will see it all for myself next week. There are definitely videos out there that are really decent and show sparks of hope.

S397 aren't developing it, they provided the engine and technical assistance, but the mess is all MotorsportGames'.

It's actually a shame as the RF2 engine actually works pretty well out of the box for the cars, as the free StockCar mod demonstrated

In very specific situations? Maybe.

For most of what NASCAR racing does? No. There's a reason why he only tried the 2018X cars on a road course, and not where NASCAR does 2/3rds of their racing. The warning signs were there, 'right out of the box'

Last edited:
In very specific situations? Maybe.

For most of what NASCAR racing does? No. There's a reason why he only tried the 2018X cars on a road course, and not where NASCAR does 2/3rds of their racing. The warning signs were there, 'right out of the box'

He is Me! And 'he' went to a road course simply because 'he' prefers them, nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited:
He is Me! And 'he' went to a road course simply because 'he' prefers them, nothing more and nothing less.
Not everything is about you, unfortunately. I was talking about Billy Strange.

Last edited:
There are definitely videos out there that are really decent and show sparks of hope.
The problem is the glitches really aren't even the biggest issue with the game, they're just the easiest to point out since they're so damn funny.

• Seemingly no performance difference between teams and drivers.
  • No outlaps
  • No custom setups
  • Assists you can't turn off
  • No rear view mirror
  • Can't see the status of tires or fuel level
  • Cautions exist but seem nearly impossible to trigger
  • No stages despite them being a major part of the real series
  • A livery editor that has no letters and very limited sponsor decals with no real way to create your own. Granted this issue isn't as major as the fact you can seemingly only use custom liveries in single player race now.
  • No season mode

And those are just the things I noticed in the hour or two worth of videos I watched, none of them really delved into career or online so who knows what is lurking behind those doors.

I don't even buy the "it's their first game" excuse anymore either, crap like scanned driver faces and cut scenes could, and should have, been held back until the actual gameplay was solid. This very much feels like the Heat series reborn as we once again have a below average game that has "potential" to be good every year but never is. I just hope the BTCC, IndyCar and Le Mans/WEC games don't fall into the same trap as I'm looking forward to those far more than the NASCAR titles.

Last edited:
Not everything is about you, unfortunately. I was talking about Billy Strange.

Odd then that the track that's on the Billy Strange video (the one in the post I quoted) is an Oval!

Which either means that yes you were referring to my video (unaware than it was me - which is fine), or you were less than honest when you said 'he only tried the 2018X cars on a road course', as the video in the post I quoted and you said 'he only tried the 2018X cars on a road course' has Billy talking about nothing but racing on Ovals, with twenty minutes of footage of the RF2 2018X car on an oval!

You've also quote-mined me, as I was referring specifically to the cars when I clearly said "the RF2 engine actually works pretty well out of the box for the cars", yet you removed the context of cars from what I said, which is something that Billy 100% agrees with (and says so in both videos quite clearly).The point I was making was that S397 gave Motorsport Games a very, very solid physics engine and vehicle model right out of the box and they then needed to build a NASCAR title around that, something that Motorsport Games don't seem to have done.

Last edited:
Apparently there's little to no force feedback according some streamers, just not what you want to hear.

Another thing... I wonder if it would be better to have a NR2003 decompilation/reimplementation project at this point, considering it's still the gold standard for NASCAR games (along with NT2004 for console players) but it's facing issues with newer versions of Windows.

But you also have to account not only the legal controversies (C&Ds/DMCAs/lawsuits) over executable physics mods that surrounded NR2003 (although they seem to have stopped now, given the release of a physics editor tool in 2016 that went uncontested) but also the ongoing re3 project vs T2 lawsuit.

Last edited:
Back