NASCAR Racer Says Esports Race Team Deals Make "Real Race Car Drivers Want To Puke"

A bit ironic that a Nascar racer is looking down on E-sports, not exactly the pinnacle of motorsport is it lol. I would argue there is a higher skill / finesse required in some E-Motorsports albeit their are no danger elements... lol

I took it the other way... Like, that's the point he's making... Doing something in a computer game doesn't make you that thing in 'real life'

Regardless, the fact that he approached such an extreme — unprovoked — is troubling in itself. Whatever point he was trying to make, wasn't made in any way, shape, or form. Madden isn't a football sim, so it isn't comparable to racing sims the likes of iRacing. Furthermore, what sim racer thinks they're on the same level as someone that races cars for a living? Is he projecting?

I took it the other way... Like, that's the point he's making... Doing something in a computer game doesn't make you that thing in 'real life'
I believe his comparison was that people who believe virtual racing is as real as real racing have the same "mental disorder" as school shooters who shoot up schools believing that FPS games are real...

... which I'm not sure covers any school shooters ever. I mean the Columbine guys liked Doom, but I'm not sure they thought it was real, or what it had to do with the shooting.

Also it was in response to JR Motorsport having a media day for its eNASCAR team. I'm having trouble following the thought processes here, but it seems like Brian Keselowski (who knew that there was a Brian as well?) is suggesting that JR Motorsport having a media day for eNASCAR is like he thinks Columbine was.

Or... something.

Did he seriously liken school shootings happening because people think they're fit to do so after playing an FPS? That is so above and beyond a rational rebuttal, it's full on pathetic. And, to him, they're the ones that need help? Sweet Jesus, I don't care for Twitter or any kind of social media to be honest, but after saying that? I hope everyone worth a damn rips him a new one. Endlessly. To the point where he either makes his account private, or outright deletes it.

That's just profoundly insensitive, all because someone obviously hit a little too close to home with a Twitter comment.
Not to go way of topic but are we really surprised ? The US has the biggest amount of mass shotings and they always blamed games for it.

Ah 🤬 here we go again but to be fair i wasen't expecting any better from Nascar drivers . Are Nascars still using 4 speed gearboxes :confused:
No fan of NASCAR. But at least those guys are in actual moving cars with the element of risk. The worst thing that can happen to the esport driver is a steering wheel becomes unplugged or acute eyestrain The guy is exactly right .. it’s absurd.

What’s ignorant about it and how is it a big deal?

Do you seriously not see the ignorance and snobbery of posting

It’s funny because going around an oval track in a real race car would probably make me want to puke.

in a thread like this? It's absolutely immature and considering the forum we are in, and the times that we live in, absolutely unneeded. So absolutely, grow up and stop being closed minded.

That's exactly what you did though.

This entire thread is a **** show, if I can be totally honest.

No fan of NASCAR. But at least those guys are in actual moving cars with the element of risk. The worst thing that can happen to the esport driver is a steering wheel becomes unplugged or acute eyestrain The guy is exactly right .. it’s absurd.
The FIA among many others disagree but you are entitled to your opinion.

That's exactly what you did though.
Yes just to respond to that one thing only.

A bit ironic that a Nascar racer is looking down on E-sports, not exactly the pinnacle of motorsport is it lol. I would argue there is a higher skill / finesse required in some E-Motorsports albeit their are no danger elements... lol

This post is 100% gold!!!! :lol:

I take it you haven't actually seen that episode?

Every time I've seen someone be critical of eSports on Twitter, it's always someone from the Nascar community. What's their beef? It's like they're allergic to modern technology.

This thread is also respite for me because I've always hated Nascar for many reasons already pointed out in this thread. But props to anyone that can enjoy that racing.

Why is its value defined by the worst thing that could happen?

What he was objecting to was JR Motorsport having a media day for its eNASCAR drivers. People watch esports. People watch sports. Why is a race team media day good unless it's a race team media day for the esports branch of the team? What value does a media interview with a racing driver have that an interview with an esports driver lacks? Why would the latter make anyone puke?

Last edited:
Do you seriously not see the ignorance and snobbery of posting in a thread like this? It's absolutely immature and considering the forum we are in, and the times that we live in, absolutely unneeded. So absolutely, grow up and stop being closed minded.

No I don’t. Why do you think it’s ignorance and snobbery?

The tweet is offensive and rude and I decided to make fun of it by pointing out that riding in real race cars would probably make me sick too.

Reading through some of the replies to his ingenious Tweet, and wow: I don't know who this guy is (never heard of him until today) and some of the replies cut deep. There's a motorsports photographer that shot back at him with pictures of him crashing, and another shooting back at him saying he's living in his brother's shadow and is angry as a result.

When you make such a profoundly idiotic statement, you're not getting sympathy from me.

From this thread I've learned that number of ratios in gearbox × number of directions turned during a race = opinion validity. In this respect, someone who drives an articulated lorry through a town is the pinnacle, most motorsports are next, and top fuel drag racers pretty much aren't even on the scale.

Reading through some of the replies to his ingenious Tweet, and wow: I don't know who this guy is (never heard of him until today) and some of the replies cut deep. There's a motorsports photographer that shot back at him with pictures of him crashing, and another shooting back at him saying he's living in his brother's shadow and is angry as a result.

When you make such a profoundly idiotic statement, you're not getting sympathy from me.

Brian Keselowski deserves all of that. He’s the mediocre brother of a NASCAR champion who couldn’t cut it as a driver so he just takes shots at things on Twitter. He deserves respect for making it to the 2nd tier of NASCAR (admittedly running in the back half of the field) with his small family team, as well as making the Daytona 500, but he has no leg to stand on whatsoever to say the things he does behind the safety of a keyboard. At one point he had the illustrious title of instructor at a stock car driving experience, I think he’s working as a crew chief now. But he is not an asset to social media.

Do you seriously not see the ignorance and snobbery of posting

in a thread like this? It's absolutely immature and considering the forum we are in, and the times that we live in, absolutely unneeded. So absolutely, grow up and stop being closed minded.

Now acting like you're ahead of the curve here is disrespectful to other users. Everyone has a right to their opinion, and you spitting down their necks because of 'snobbery' or some other misguided justification is just plain silly, if I'm honest.

I like NASCAR. Have since the 90s. The reputation it has internationally doesn't bother me and honestly it's an easy target sometimes. When you tell people you are a NASCAR fan the turn left jokes get a little old all the time but motorsport is about being the first to the line. People also like to make comparisons about NASCAR to other forms of motorsport, which also gets old and totally pointless IMO. Nobody should care about this guy who nobody has ever heard of thinks and likewise nobody should care if you like NASCAR or not. This guy isn't really a NASCAR driver.

Last edited:
Please check the facts before you give your opinion on a screenshot of a tweet. It's the internet people, fake/parody accounts are real. Please read this before adding a comment to this discussion:

Please check the facts before you give your opinion on a tweet based on a screenshot. It's the internet people, fake/parody accounts are real. Please read these:

It was only that one tweet and a few other really stupid ones from the parody account, a cursory look at the tweets and replies on his actual account shows that the real thing isn’t a whole lot better.

Seems as if the guy doesn't know how to handle social media as a "public figure". He doubles down and his "Clarification" is garbage.

But this statement in my eyes proves a point. Esports like for Gran Turismo and iRacing aren't going to be taken as seriously by their real-life counterpoint in the eyes of the general public.

Personally, I would find it dorky if someone acted like they're the man because they ranked high in an Esports competition. This is not to denounce the skill, but simply it being a competition of something that is simulated. Think about it.

"If you're so good, why not race in the real thing?" Is the question that most people would have.

The mass public doesn't see Esports as a legitimate sport simply because it's a simulacra. A simulation of something that already exists and you can physically do, thus people prescribe a plastic identity to any Esports program, and trying to argue the matter, specifically the quotation above, people will begin to doubt any validity you have.

Honestly, I believe Esports should have a major rebranding (specifically referring to racing.) More like a competition to win funds that can be taken as a lump sum—or be used to help you become a real driver for a team. This is to reduce the perception that it's just a bunch of dorks playing wannabe race car driver, and more like a bunch of people trying to make it to the top to have their premier breakout to become an actual driver.

Excuse any garbage grammar. This was on mobile.

Unless you're a billionaire team owner or investor, you're going to need the talent the move up. No one is going to fork over the money for someone who's mediocre.

With that comment it's obvious you haven't done any racing in real life.

Even in a forum where people should know better, these sorts of ignorant comments are made. Grow up, all of you. Truly embarrassing.

I'm fully grown thanks, NASCAR is by far the dullest form of racing. I have tried to whatch it. I think south park summed it up the best. I would like to thank my 300 sponsor's and god for giving me the ability to turn left

Last edited:
Please check the facts before you give your opinion on a screenshot of a tweet. It's the internet people, fake/parody accounts are real. Please read this before adding a comment to this discussion:

I'm...not seeing any kind of difference. This is his real account, no? Here's the tweet from said account and it is verbatim.

If you’ve seen it, you should know it was mocking people that say it’s easy, not the actual sport itself.

I see what your saying lol but the point of the clip was the quote "im just as poor and stupid as you" there is little difference in skill level between Nascar and Esports neither are at the highest eschalon of motorsports... Its hilarious that a Nascar driver looks down on any other type of racing :-)

“Mediocre” is charitable to describe most of the field of young drivers in NASCAR. All you have to do to reach the top there is pay the bills and not wreck the car. Your actual performance beyond that doesn’t matter much. It’s not in a good place.

Very true. But it is not just Nascar. It has been that way in motor racing in general. I am not saying that the majority of people at top level of all motorsports aren't talented. Just the fact that their talent was not what got them there. Need money first. If you have money and talent at the same time your racing career is going to be a good one.

The old saying for racing goes, "If you want to make 1 million dollars racing cars you need to start with 2 million dollars."

Back