NASCAR Racer Says Esports Race Team Deals Make "Real Race Car Drivers Want To Puke"

With that comment it's obvious you haven't done any racing in real life.

Well, that's just plain false. I have done racing and did so for three years. I was terrible at it and my car was garbage, but it was fun.

Really, if you're not good at racing or aren't a huge financial contributor you're not going to move up. If you have a bunch of money, you can just buy your way into a series (or in the case of the guy in F1, buy your son's way in). Most racers didn't start off insanely wealthy and had to work to get sponsors and get noticed in order to move up to the next level.

Please check the facts before you give your opinion on a screenshot of a tweet. It's the internet people, fake/parody accounts are real. Please read this before adding a comment to this discussion:

The tweet I shared was 100% from Brian Keselowski, I found the parody account and blocked it immediately. It's his tweet and stupid opinion. Thankfully everyone has been tearing him a new one

.. yeah, one of them isn't even a motorsport!

Yes but which one ;-) You could argue despite the lack of danger there is more skill required in e-sports sims... the sheer amount of restarts in Nascar dont really make it a truly competitive race format... So theres not much to pick between em. For me Nascar is like Baseball and Cricket and other long winded sports, simply social camouflage for alcoholism...

You could argue despite the lack of danger there is more skill required in e-sports sims

You might, I wouldn't. Computer simulations are limited variables within limited parameters of limited equations. It's massively more repeatable and predictable when it's virtual.

For me Nascar is like Baseball and Cricket and other long winded sports, simply social camouflage for alcoholism...

Pfftt.. who needs social camouflage... or long winded sports, I could get hammered only drinking during drag racing runs!

neither are at the highest eschalon of motorsports...

NASCAR is the top echelon of stock car racing. Despite what some people like to tell themselves, there is no true overall top echelon of racing.

Its hilarious that a Nascar driver looks down on any other type of racing :-)

It's more sad than hilarious to see anyone looking down on another form of motorsport. Us racing fans are a small group that is only shrinking, bashing certain disciplines of it will only serve to quicken its demise.

You might, I wouldn't. Computer simulations are limited variables within limited parameters of limited equations. It's massively more repeatable and predictable when it's virtual.
Sim racing, and a Computer Simulation, are two completely different things. An eSports competition isn't a computer deciding who will be the winner based on pre-determined data that was entered in to it, it's people competing in video games.

How is people racing in a video game any more predictable than real life?

I would rather watch fake cars racing round a made up track then watch real cars race in circles
So true, the majority of motor racing that I watch are iRacing broadcasts, I love watching them even though I dont subscribe to iRacing.

How can you alienate something you don't have? This guy's fanbase likely consists of his immediate family and circle of friends. All of which likely knew his thoughts on e-sports long before any of us.

I'm sure he has a few, 4,800 followers on twitter is way more than I had before a closed my account years ago.

Sim racing, and a Computer Simulation, are two completely different things

What? Do they use Breville toasted cheese sandwich makers to process the input, and generate an output in iRacing?

How is people racing in a video game any more predictable than real life?

It is more predictable for the players because a simulation is not as advanced as real world physics.

Oval, short oval, dirt oval, oval, drag strip....the one thing they have in common with road courses is an ambulance ride when you make a mistake.

No matter how much I love virtual racing, there is no way that it is on the same level as racing for real. If you aren't fearing for your life in some way, it simply isn't the same. It may be the closest to it's real world counterpart, but it's still far less demanding.

It is more predictable for the players because a simulation is not as advanced as real world physics.
I could have told you that. But your previous comment seemed to imply that watching an eSports race is somehow more predictable than watching a real race. Or did I get that wrong?

I could have told you that. But your previous comment seemed to imply that watching an eSports race is somehow more predictable than watching a real race. Or did I get that wrong?

Yup, you got that wrong, sorry if I wasn't clear. Driving a virtual car requires less skill than a real one. That was my point.

Sim racing will never be repected as much as real tracing by the general public.

But sim racers and gamers will respect it. Whether that is enough to grown it beyond status quo (live streams and the odd event) remains to be seen.

Personally I think every sensible racer, real or esports, understands esports offers real advantages in preparation for a real race. But to respect it the same way is silly. The sacrifices and risk involved in real racing very far surpass esports.

He has a point, eSports has insane funding, sponsors and big money being thrown around to no end, where as in real life racing, nobody gives a damn to help support racetracks and help keep them operating, not to mention the crisis in sponsorships over the past 10 years especially... Even in many entire racing catagories dying out a few years after they are born. There are gradually less spectators through the years too, and for tge most part, tickets are cheap as chips!

eSports drivers get all the attention and funding with relative ease compared to real racing drivers, in real racing, you're on your own bud, and you're a nobody, and every bit of that weight is entirely on your two shoulders to climb the ladder, unless you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

You do understand that talent is not how you get to the big leagues right? Anybody who understands how auto racing works would know that its money is the only way to make it to the upper levels. While talent is helpful at retaining your ride in the upper level, you still have to have money first.

Precisely one of the factors that makes space for new things like e-sports to emerge. There's a lot of natural drivers out there with no means, and the accessibility makes it so attractive.

It's an inflammatory tweet, but it doesn't take much to imagine how it feels for someone who battled long and hard against all the challenges and obstacles to make it in real-life racing.

He has a point, eSports has insane funding, sponsors and big money being thrown around to no end, where as in real life racing, nobody gives a damn to help support racetracks and help keep them operating, not to mention the crisis in sponsorships over the past 10 years especially... Even in many entire racing catagories dying out a few years after they are born. There are gradually less spectators through the years too, and for tge most part, tickets are cheap as chips!

eSports drivers get all the attention and funding with relative ease compared to real racing drivers, in real racing, you're on your own bud, and you're a nobody, and every bit of that weight is entirely on your two shoulders to climb the ladder, unless you are born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
What does the popularity of esports have to do with the unpopularity of 'real life racing'? Motorsports has an image problem - oval racing even more so, and NASCAR probably most of all (just look at the responses in this thread from car and race fans towards NASCAR and ovals) - and viewership isn't in decline because a race team wants to publicise its esports drivers with a media day.

If anything should make 'real race car drivers want to puke' it should be that the organising bodies are running their sport right into the ground, not that other forms of motorsport are gaining popularity. Or they act all jealous on social media, as if the success of esports is in any way to blame.

The circle of life repeats again, as people grow older they get protective over what they do, since it is harder to adapt to the new things. Horse riders once hated motorcycle riders, some motorsport racers hate E-formula etc. rolling coal people hate priuses etc.

if it's competitive and there is competition there will be audience, fans, and depending on the interest there will be media.
does it matter if it's a game? football was always presented to me as a game when i was a kid yet there are football players that made millions.( and even games of that game like fifa/pes)

If people play sim racing it's because they wish they could do the real thing so they admire racers and aspire to become them one day. many who had opportunity to sign up with real teams had done so when available. if anything this might bring young people to that sport. pushing them away is not gonna make him a super start. each require skill and they are different things no comparisons will make sense.

should we prohibit people racing RC cars professionally or people racing scalextrics winning price money because it is imitating a sport their are passionate about?

it's a compliment when simulation is trying to feel like the real thing. so what that the people that are good at it are making headlines? it will one day die down and the next big thing will take the shine away from them.

Can't we all just get along?

Call me cynical, but a big part of the popularity of eSports is probably how well it lends itself to social media. I've tuned most of my social media feeds to be little more than news feeds for motorsport, and the amount of stuff on there that's just virtual racing is too damn high. I almost unfollowed BMW Motorsport this weekend because of the amount of iRacing stuff they were posting... and me unfollowing BMW Motorsport would be a big deal for me. I've previously unfollowed series like WTCR for the same reason, and I've even muted GT on twitter because I just don't care about most of the content they're posting.

I've enjoyed driving virtual cars since I got my first Commodore 64, and I'm a fan of real-life motorsport, yet I couldn't be more turned off by eSports as a spectator sport. If people enjoy it then that's great, I just wish it was segregated a little more from the real thing.

Officially screw this guy. Not everyone has $20,000-$40,000 a year to throw at a go kart - a go kart! - to keep it competitive. Besides, at the end of the day, a racer is a racer, and I don't think anyone should take issue with how people get into it, especially not nowadays.

Officially screw this guy. Not everyone has $20,000-$40,000 a year to throw at a go kart - a go kart! - to keep it competitive. Besides, at the end of the day, a racer is a racer, and I don't think anyone should take issue with how people get into it, especially not nowadays.

His attitude may not have been the correct attitude to have but neither is yours. While I find sim racing important and that it needs to be around I can't say sim racing is getting 'into' racing. Going to your local tracks and watching is getting 'into' racing. Helping crew, meeting people at the track, volunteering as a corner worker, volunteering for a stage rally event. Those are forms of getting 'into' the sport. If you have the money to own a car and race that is also getting into racing. Banking solely on sim racing and not trying to take part in any real life racing is not helping anybody, nor is it helping if you do it the other way around.

Big words from someone whos sport won't exist in a few years

How do you figure? Are you one of those "look at all the empty stands" & "ratings are down" type of people?

Also should be mentioned again that this guy isn't technically a NASCAR driver as many of you understand it. He's a small time modified driver that the NASCAR brand just happens to own the series he races in.

Latest Posts

Back