NASCAR Suspends Cup Series Driver Kyle Larson for Racist Language During Virtual Race Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
And is in the article.

I nearly used this as the featured image:

kyle-larson-nascar-racist-language.jpg

Also #43 last weekend, #42 this... watch out for Cole Custer next weekend!

What stopped you? That's gold. :lol:

Granted, I'm also a big fan of dark humor.

Not to mention, the comments section of his apology is blood-boiling to me. The sheer amount of people who think that there's absolutely nothing wrong with what Larson did, and even some people blaming "political correctness" and saying that Kyle is actually the VICTIM speaks volumes to me.

NASCAR has been trying to get rid its image of racism for the last 25 or so years as its popularity started to spread from the Deep South towards the west coast of America. One guy on a stream says that word without realizing everyone can hear him. Already the imagery of NASCAR being full of racists has been reinforced.

It has always been reinforced, for better or for worse. The entire pathos, and the entire brand of NASCAR operates under an idealized South that had no place to exist anyway. We're still less then a hundred years removed from MLK being assassinated, black people not having the ability to vote or interact in spaces that were occupied by whites, and where government institutions throughout the South consistently flaunted the ethos and flags of the Confederate forces. In markets like Birmingham, Charlotte and Atlanta, markets that are bedrocks of NASCAR since the very beginning, these dark legacies are still present, and reinforce NASCAR's history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to mention, the comments section of his apology is blood-boiling to me. The sheer amount of people who think that there's absolutely nothing wrong with what Larson did, and even some people blaming "political correctness" and saying that Kyle is actually the VICTIM speaks volumes to me.

“But them folks use that word in their rap lyrics all the time, why aren’t we roasting them on social media” :confused:

:banghead:

Also:

I know nothing about NASCAR sport really or it's drivers, plus i'm not overtly huge on Esports really besides things watched years ago. However this is proving both hilarious and enraging at the same time, quite a quandary. Whose next is all I'll say? I'm actually quite impressed how quickly these people are getting ripped to shreds and sponsors are removing themselves from their respective associations! in the UK if our Footballers were subject to an esports tournament of some kind we'd see some true colours as well I reckon.

Judging by the font, I'm guessing Credit One is the same as Capital One here in the UK, in which case, them taking any kind of moral or ethical standpoint is beyond laughable.
Credit One (formerly known as First National Bank of Marin (FNBM)) is NOT related to nor has ever been part of Capital One.

Also, Chevrolet has suspended it's relationship with Larson.

The way he said it was even like a plantation owner shouting a slave who wasn't pulling their weight. I very obviously cannot post the video, but Josef Newgarden's physical reaction on his own Twitch stream covered it to perfection.

:yuck:

So maybe Kyle will sue iracing for not having a 5 sec delay for a "major" sporting event. Nothing will shock me at this point. I still find it strange that one word can cause such an uproar. I'm not saying it's OK but let it go.

Well, since it's taboo to post it, I've had to give a view a to some YouTube channel that may be using it to bolster their agenda, or undermine someone elses, to see what all the fuss is about, so now I'm probably going to get spammed with KKK feeds, or worse, eSports channels. But, having now watched it, I remain unmoved by it. Having said that... if Kyle gets the sack can we get Montoya back in the 42, that used to **** off some red-necks, should be fun.

The thing that really got me was the way he said it was so casual, he was completely comfortable saying that word to his crew member. :yuck:

I'm not saying it's OK but let it go.
By saying "let it go", you actually ARE saying it's ok. You're trying to justify something that cannot be justified. People like you contribute to the problem. There shouldn't be any tolerance for overt racism in 2020, even if he "slipped up". Says a lot about his mindset anyways if he says it without even realizing.

Which company should "let it go" ?

The sanctioning body, which has spent the past 30 years trying to escape its image of only being white trash rednecks participating in and watching the sport? Who, when faced with something like this, gets responses like this anyway:
Typical Nascar

The E-Sports platform iRacing, which is suddenly under a microscope for the past two months as it has many televised events in lieu of any real sports happening and has fought hard to keep from having this:

From being how they are perceived like many other E-Sports platforms have also had to struggle with?

Or his corporate sponsors, most of whom I'm sure would like to sell goods and services outside of Alabama?

But, having now watched it, I remain unmoved by it.

Maybe you should, considering it's a word with incredibly specific, damaging, and hurtful connotations towards a specific race of peoples.

I'm not saying it's OK but let it go.

Who are you to say to people to 'let it go', specifically black people who are the ones that have to deal with the word in question, and the ugly aspects of history, socio-economic, and racial politics that dominate American life, and indeed, the Western world. Make no mistake, this applies to those looking to throw stones in glass houses in Canada, the UK, continental Europe, or anywhere else.

To those that don't see the big deal, I ask again: Are you white? Then you do not have a say on who should be offended. You will never experience the pain of having an entire society be designed to shut you out, discriminate, or other you in any regard. You have no place at the table to determine who gets to apologize, and whether that apology is accepted by the people of who Kyle Larson believes are less then human.

Disgusting. Nothing excuses language like that, and from a reputable public figure live on stream to thousands of viewers... just shows us how we go from real racing to eSports yet nothing changes...

I can't believe I'm breaking my 2+ year non-posting streak to explain to grown adults that racism is bad. There is absolutely no case in which someone who is not black should be saying it, hard "r" or not (bar a few comedic instances in which the actors/comedians are completely aware of the impact of the word if I'm being completely honest with myself, but even that is pushing it). There is no way to accidentally "slip up" and say it; it has to be stashed somewhere in your mind for you to say it. There is no situation in which a white, Asian, Hispanic, etc. person has to say it. Telling people not to say something that impacts others and they have no reason to say isn't "totalitarian," it's just a reasonable, human thing to do. You CANNOT say it if you're not black. That's it.

Good thing y'all don't get to decide what people can or can't say. These things take care of themselves and here it has. There's a time and place for everything, but this wasn't it.

Good to see that we can have a civil discussion

Personally, i'm on Kyle's side with this one. I could almost guarantee that if every team radio transmission from the last 3 years got leaked NASCAR would go bust because there'd be no drivers left. Kyle essentially got his team radio leaked (which was entirely on him for not knowing his voice was being shared to everyone) and he is paying the price.

Personally, i'm on Kyle's side with this one. I could almost guarantee that if every team radio transmission from the last 3 years got leaked NASCAR would go bust because there'd be no drivers left. Kyle essentially got his team radio leaked (which was entirely on him for not knowing his voice was being shared to everyone) and he is paying the price.
That doesn't really justify it though. It shouldn't be said in the first place.

"Everyone else in NASCAR is racist therefore it's ok if Kyle is racist too".

There are a lot of dumb justifications people have made for his actions in this thread, but this one might take the cake.

"Everyone else in NASCAR is racist therefore it's ok if Kyle is racist too".

There are a lot of dumb justifications people have made for his actions in this thread, but this one might take the cake.
Ok way to take my words out of proportion. I never said other drivers said racist comments but if the shoe fits. He deserves punishment sure, but not to lose his livelihood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back