NASCAR Suspends Cup Series Driver Kyle Larson for Racist Language During Virtual Race Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can’t say I’m surprised. This is coming from a guy who multiple times in interviews and press conferences has seriously not known what track he’s racing at the next week.

Driving talent and high or even average IQ don’t necessarily equate.

Last edited:
Eh, all us muricans talk like this. Blacks say it, whites say it. But oh its bad if we use it, im sure company leaders say its. Its a widely used word in america. Wasnt being said dissrespectfully anyway, theres a difference there too
What on earth are you talking about? Yeah, maybe in your little Alabama coal holler town all the whites say it, but to the rest of the country, Larson's actions were not only is wildly offensive but also immature and unprofessional too. There's no excuse for it. People who are openly racist deserve no part in any major sport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go 42!!!!!

I 'member when people said the 42 was jus' being driven by a fat Mexican!

Also, I've no clue what he said that was wrong, since everything is censored, so to me, this means nothing... and as a white middle aged able bodied male, that in the few instances of racing online, got verbally abused based on car choice alone... I'd have to conclude.. welcome to online racing! Top line drivers don't enjoy the anonymity that basement dwelling gamers do, and their behavior is no worse.

There is something about competitive gaming in general that gets out the inner primate in all of us, especially considering we generally treat it as a private experience but I guess this is what happens when your permenently mic'd up in a sceniaro like this, slips happen but damn choose any other word.

Wait, he came up through NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity Program? I'm guessing that's a program for minorities to get involved in NASCAR? If that's the case, what minority is Larson exactly? I honestly can't tell.

Didn't see the race but saw a clip on YouTube. His shot at a top level ride and a championship are likely done. Even if Nascar allows him back in, CGR and Chevrolet severed ties with him.

Eh, all us muricans talk like this. Blacks say it, whites say it. But oh its bad if we use it, im sure company leaders say its. Its a widely used word in america. Wasnt being said dissrespectfully anyway, theres a difference there too

Are you white? If so, then you would know that the word carries significant racial connotations that have stretched from the foundation of America (and indeed, North America and even the Western world as a whole) to now, and represents the discrimination of an entire race of peoples. The word, with a hard R as a matter of fact, isn't a word to be used. By anyone, most of all white people, considering those factors.

I wonder how your bosses at Bethesda would feel about one of their employees, who identifies as such, believing that he should be able to say the n word without consequences?

As expected, here's the fake ass apology he put out on social media.
And is in the article.

I nearly used this as the featured image:

kyle-larson-nascar-racist-language.jpg

Also #43 last weekend, #42 this... watch out for Cole Custer next weekend!

Which kind of makes things worse since his grand parents spent time in an internment camp during WW2. One would think having someone that has dealt with racism like that so closely related to you would make you a bit more aware of the damages racism can do.

The fact of the matter is, is that anti-blackness, and racism against black peoples, transcends race. It is not, no pun intended, a black or white issue. White people, since the very founding of America, and even before, in Europe and the lands that the West colonized, believed that black people are inferior. That extends down to minorities as well, and it continues, to this very day.

NASCAR has been trying to get rid its image of racism for the last 25 or so years as its popularity started to spread from the Deep South towards the west coast of America. One guy on a stream says that word without realizing everyone can hear him. Already the imagery of NASCAR being full of racists has been reinforced. He’s already been suspended by NASCAR, broken ties with Chevrolet and lost his Credit One Sponsorship for being extremely unprofessional in that instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back