NASCAR Suspends Cup Series Driver Kyle Larson for Racist Language During Virtual Race Stream

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by GTPNewsWire, Apr 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTPNewsWire

GTPNewsWire Contributing Writer

TiMcF1 likes this.
  2. TiMcF1

TiMcF1

Not looking good for NASCAR, not looking good for professional E sports.

3. Bloodytears

Bloodytears Premium

Digital world shows face of real things. Top tier irony.

4. Lukanyon

Lukanyon

Are most NASCAR drivers disrespectful like this? I don't know anything about their common behavior.

5. Shofast

Shofast

Eh, all us muricans talk like this. Blacks say it, whites say it. But oh its bad if we use it, im sure company leaders say its. Its a widely used word in america. Wasnt being said dissrespectfully anyway, theres a difference there too

6. MaxAttack

MaxAttack Premium

Motorsports: let us, with grace and respect, organise some eSports events while this lockdown thing blows over, give the fans something to watch

NASCAR: Hold my beer

golfer07840, barak181, DK and 11 others like this.
  7. Blood Eagle

Blood Eagle

Thank you for setting the record straight and speaking for all Americans. And so eloquently!

8. SAMHAIN85

SAMHAIN85

You cant be serious :dunce:

9. Suzumiya

Suzumiya

10. NotThePrez

NotThePrez

Ummm, no.

goongumps, Qvale, gkgamer and 19 others like this.
  11. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

Can’t say I’m surprised. This is coming from a guy who multiple times in interviews and press conferences has seriously not known what track he’s racing at the next week.

Driving talent and high or even average IQ don’t necessarily equate.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    barak181 and Adam Barber like this.
  12. GranTurNismo

GranTurNismo Premium

What on earth are you talking about? Yeah, maybe in your little Alabama coal holler town all the whites say it, but to the rest of the country, Larson's actions were not only is wildly offensive but also immature and unprofessional too. There's no excuse for it. People who are openly racist deserve no part in any major sport.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2020
    gkgamer, redhed17, barak181 and 19 others like this.
  13. Northstar

Northstar Premium

If they were, this instance wouldn’t be news worthy. The drivers at the top level are expected to carry themselves professionally just like in every other major series.

14. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Go 42!!!!!

I 'member when people said the 42 was jus' being driven by a fat Mexican!

Also, I've no clue what he said that was wrong, since everything is censored, so to me, this means nothing... and as a white middle aged able bodied male, that in the few instances of racing online, got verbally abused based on car choice alone... I'd have to conclude.. welcome to online racing! Top line drivers don't enjoy the anonymity that basement dwelling gamers do, and their behavior is no worse.

lancia delta hf and yellosnake like this.
  15. GranTurNismo

GranTurNismo Premium

As expected, here's the fake ass apology he put out on social media. He's just sorry that he was caught. No sincerity whatsoever. You're done, buddy.

gkgamer and barak181 like this.
  16. DesertPenguin

DesertPenguin (Banned)

Look at that, we agree on something! :cheers:

17. Adam Barber

Adam Barber

Disgusting, hope he loses his race seat because of this. Behaviour like that has no place in society at all.

18. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Like I said in a discord chat, it's amazing how expensive it gets when you don't use your head.

19. mustafur

mustafur

There is something about competitive gaming in general that gets out the inner primate in all of us, especially considering we generally treat it as a private experience but I guess this is what happens when your permenently mic'd up in a sceniaro like this, slips happen but damn choose any other word.

FoRiZon, Nexus, Dan and 5 others like this.
  20. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Wait, he came up through NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity Program? I'm guessing that's a program for minorities to get involved in NASCAR? If that's the case, what minority is Larson exactly? I honestly can't tell.

barak181 likes this.
  21. bloodyboyblue

bloodyboyblue

His mother is Japanese

22. Blood Eagle

Blood Eagle

I believe he's of Japanese descent.

**TREE'D**

dlshearon and Joey D like this.
  23. Adamgp

Adamgp

Didn't see the race but saw a clip on YouTube. His shot at a top level ride and a championship are likely done. Even if Nascar allows him back in, CGR and Chevrolet severed ties with him.

barak181 likes this.
  24. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

And the cost continues to go up.

barak181, andrea, Dan and 2 others like this.
  25. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

Are you white? If so, then you would know that the word carries significant racial connotations that have stretched from the foundation of America (and indeed, North America and even the Western world as a whole) to now, and represents the discrimination of an entire race of peoples. The word, with a hard R as a matter of fact, isn't a word to be used. By anyone, most of all white people, considering those factors.

I wonder how your bosses at Bethesda would feel about one of their employees, who identifies as such, believing that he should be able to say the n word without consequences?

Victoria H, Dubsox, barak181 and 12 others like this.
  26. Northstar

Northstar Premium

Which kind of makes things worse since his grand parents spent time in an internment camp during WW2. One would think having someone that has dealt with racism like that so closely related to you would make you a bit more aware of the damages racism can do.

27. Famine

Famine Administrator

And is in the article.

I nearly used this as the featured image:

[​IMG]

Also #43 last weekend, #42 this... watch out for Cole Custer next weekend!

28. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

The fact of the matter is, is that anti-blackness, and racism against black peoples, transcends race. It is not, no pun intended, a black or white issue. White people, since the very founding of America, and even before, in Europe and the lands that the West colonized, believed that black people are inferior. That extends down to minorities as well, and it continues, to this very day.

barak181 and RCKakashi14 like this.
  29. MatskiMonk

MatskiMonk

Ohhh... so I'm guessing he said Nagger? Nobody likes someone that nags a lot.

mc0029, barak181, Kazuya720 and 6 others like this.
  30. e3345er

e3345er

NASCAR has been trying to get rid its image of racism for the last 25 or so years as its popularity started to spread from the Deep South towards the west coast of America. One guy on a stream says that word without realizing everyone can hear him. Already the imagery of NASCAR being full of racists has been reinforced. He’s already been suspended by NASCAR, broken ties with Chevrolet and lost his Credit One Sponsorship for being extremely unprofessional in that instance.

GTWolverine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.