NASCAR Thread.

• Thread starter WallRunner
  • 4,200 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
ani079.gif

Thanks for the breaking news there bud.

flame, FLame, FLLLAAAAMMMMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, this is the NASCAR thread and in LATE MAY this guy comes and makes it public that Toyota have a Busch/Cup program. Now we know who the NASCAR insider is. Just kidding bro, all in good fun!

m.piedgros

Here's another NASCAR tidbit I saw on ESPNEWS. It's said that if Jeff Gordon (expecting birth of baby) is unable to race the Coca-Cola 600, Mark Martin will substitute for him at Charlotte. If this unfolds, what do you think of this move?

No wonder he's been racing as hard as he has been recently, he needs to take a race off to attend the birth of his baby. Congrats to him and I think M. Martin would be a great fill in driver, wasn't he driving Kyle Busch's busch car last week aswell?

Here's another NASCAR tidbit I saw on ESPNEWS. It's said that if Jeff Gordon (expecting birth of baby) is unable to race the Coca-Cola 600, Mark Martin will substitute for him at Charlotte. If this unfolds, what do you think of this move?

I thought the baby was gonna be due late June/eary July? Well, Martin would definately be a great fill in driver considering the type of season he's had so far this year.

EDIT: According to Jayski's, Martin may sub for Jeff in the Infineion race.

Jayski's
Martin to sub for Jeff Gordon when baby arrives? If #24-Jeff Gordon is forced to miss a race to attend the birth of his daughter, series veteran Mark Martin will man the #24 DuPont Chevy, multiple sources within the Hendrick Motorsports organization told ESPN.com Wednesday. Martin on Wednesday afternoon will be fitted for a racing seat in preparation for the substitute role, sources said, and plans to begin stand-by duty for Gordon at Infineon Raceway next month. Hendrick Motorsports officials chose not to comment, saying rather that Gordon would address the matter Thursday at Lowe's Motor Speedway, site of this weekend's Coca-Cola 600. Sources said Gordon personally sought out Martin to stand in for him, and after clearing the idea with Ginn Racing officials, Martin gladly accepted. Gordon's wife, Ingrid Vandebosch, is due the week of the June 24 Toyota/Save Mart 350 at Sonoma. Martin will fly to Sonoma, during a weekend when he is slated to be idle from racing. If Gordon doesn't require his services, Martin will remain on hand to coach Regan Smith in the #01 US Army Chevy [Ginn Racing]. According to NASCAR officials, Martin could get in the #24 without practicing in the car, so long as Nextel Cup director John Darby gives his blessing. Given Martin's veteran experience, that would seem to be all but a foregone conclusion. If baby Gordon arrives a week early, sources said Martin will turn the #01 Chevrolet over to Smith at Michigan Speedway and drive the #24 for Gordon. Likewise, in the event the baby is a week late, Martin would sub for Gordon at New Hampshire. Gordon hasn't missed a race in his Cup Series career, a span of 484 consecutive races. The last race run without Gordon in the field was the 28th race of the 1992 season, at Phoenix International Raceway.(ESPN.com)(5-23-2007)

EDIT #2 - Other news, Pat Tryson Leaves #16 team:

Roushracing.com
Concord, N.C. (May 23, 2007) – It was announced today at Roush Fenway Racing that Greg Erwin will take over as crew chief of the team’s No. 16 Nextel Cup entry with driver Greg Biffle.

“I have met Greg and feel confident he will bring a new perspective to what we’re trying to accomplish here,” said Biffle. “We obviously weren’t performing at a level at which we were content and a change was made.”

Erwin was most recently the crew chief at Robby Gordon Motorsports for the No. 7 Nextel Cup entry. Prior to the two years at Robby Gordon Motorsports, Erwin accumulated seven years of experience as an engineer at Richard Childress Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing.

“I feel that this is one of the top crew chief opportunities in the Nextel Cup garage,” said Erwin. “If you could paint a picture of where you would like to go as a crew chief to give it a shot to win and compete for a championship, this is it. I am also excited about the backing of the engineering department at Roush and the resources they offer.
The fact that Greg Biffle is the driver was a factor that weighed heavily on my decision. He is a straight forward kind of guy and I look forward to working with him.”

Chris Andrews, current Engineering Manager at Roush Fenway Racing, will serve as interim crew chief for Greg Biffle and the No. 16 Dish Network Nextel Cup entry this weekend. Erwin will serve as an advisor on the pit box during Sunday’s Coca-Cola 600 before officially taking over crew chief duties on Tuesday, May 29th.

Sad news for NASCAR as Bill France Jr. has just passed away. he apparently had some sort of ailment that he had put him in the hospital. he was 74.

Jayski's
Sad News: Bill France Jr.: during the race broadcast on FOX from Dover, it was reported that NASCAR Chairman, Bill France Jr., 74, passed away today, Monday, June 4, 2007.
MORE Bill France Jr., who transformed NASCAR from a small Southern sport into a billion-dollar conglomerate during his 31 years as chairman, died Monday. He was 74. He died at his Daytona Beach, Fla., home, NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said. France had been in poor health for much of the last decade - he was diagnosed with cancer in 1999. Although he was in remission, the extensive treatments took a toll. He never regained his full strength, often had difficulty breathing and had taken to using a motorized scooter to get around. France was hospitalized at least twice this year but spent his final days resting at home. His last public appearance was Feb. 12 in Daytona Beach, where NASCAR's top names gathered to "Roast and Toast" him at the Bill France Hot Dog Dinner during the Daytona 500 build-up. Even there, especially there, France Jr., who ruled NASCAR with an iron fist, called the shots. His toasters that evening were gently reminded to avoid any harsh roasting. France did not speak during the dinner but received guests from his seat on the banquet floor.(Associated Press)
Statement from NASCAR: NASCAR Vice Chairman William C. France, whose leadership helped turn a family-owned company into a national phenomenon, died today at his home in Daytona Beach, Fla. at the age of 74. France served as NASCAR's president from 1972-2000, taking over from his father, NASCAR founder William H.G. "Big Bill" France. In 2000, France - known as "Bill Jr." - became NASCAR's CEO and the chairman of the newly created NASCAR Board of Directors. In October 2003, the torch was again passed, with France's son Brian France taking over as Chairman and CEO. France became Vice Chairman at that time, whereupon his influence and input remained considerable - and valuable.
"He had a remarkable career and an even-more remarkable life," said Brian France. "Words cannot express how much he'll be missed by myself and the rest of our family and by the NASCAR industry overall."
Mike Helton became NASCAR's president in 2000. He was the third president in the sport's history and the first not named France. "Coming in, I had two big pairs of shoes to fill," Helton said, talking about Bill Sr. and Bill Jr. "I was more familiar with Bill Jr.'s way of doing business but that didn't make it any easier. He blazed so many trails for our sport. He was determined to follow the vision of his father while also expanding on that vision. Over nearly four decades, he did a masterful job."
France is survived by his wife Betty Jane France, NASCAR's assistant secretary; his son Brian; daughter Lesa France Kennedy, NASCAR's vice president and assistant treasurer; his brother James C. France, NASCAR's vice chairman and executive vice president; and three grandchildren. Funeral arrangements are pending.(NASCAR)(6-4-2007)

:(

Anyone catch the race today?

Kurt Busch nearly ran over a Tony Stewart crewman trying to retaliate against him in pit lane.

NASCAR needs to come down hard on him and make a point that using your car as weapon to retaliate is wrong and extremely dangerous. If they don't its a matter of time before someone gets hurt in a retaliation incident

Anyone catch the race today?

Kurt Busch nearly ran over a Tony Stewart crewman trying to retaliate against him in pit lane.

NASCAR needs to come down hard on him and make a point that using your car as weapon to retaliate is wrong and extremely dangerous. If they don't its a matter of time before someone gets hurt in a retaliation incident

*raises hand*

Yeah, thank God that the crewman was watchin, otherwise he'd be fender ketchup all over Busch's car. They were kinda hard on him by parking him for the rest of the race, but I do think that he should be fined, docked points and parked for 2 more races just to send the point home.

I'll make this brief:

* Congratulations to Martin Truex Jr.(?) for the win
* Bill France Jr... you will be lovingly missed by the American racing public. My deepest condolensces and prayers go out to him and all who known him.

This was supposed to be the final 2007 race for NASCAR on FOX. I didn't get to see the rest of it. Here's my question to you all:

"How will you remember Bill France Jr.?"

I will remember him as the guy that put NASCAR on the map.If it wasn't for him,NASCAR wouldn't be the racing empire it is in America.

"How will you remember Bill France Jr.?"

I'll remember him for making NASCAR the biggest motorsport in America & making me a fan of racing in general, he did alot in his lifetime to make NASCAR go mainstream, he was very successful with that, we just hope that his son, Brian continues on with that.

I've been thinking about the NASCAR Busch Grand National race in Lebanon, TN. Carl Edwards went from planes to helicopters to eventually start 7th(?). Crazy thing is, he'd go on to win that race. Can you believe it? In Cup, I'm happy for Jeff Gordon again. I figured the race would be ended since I don't see any lights around the race track. Pocono has been called as the most boring track by some of NASCAR's talent. I think of it as "the driver's oval."

I just want to talk about some of my favorite drivers. Most of you know I love Jeff Gordon. He's my favorite driver. I think he's going to be 5th All-Time in NASCAR wins before this season comes to an end. Here are some drivers who are some of my other favorites. First off, I admire Jimmie Johnson. I think when Jeff Gordon leaves NASCAR, the #48 is going to be the one to watch. I have a lot of respect for him. Another driver I've grown to love is Carl Edwards. I thought before that Edwards is just showboats a bit too much in the past. But as I actually started hearing of his successes in racing, I gained a lot of respect for Carl Edwards. He's doing great in Busch action, and I think he's on his way to perhaps winning a championship or more in Nextel Cup.

Let me just clear the air by asking a question to all of you. What are some of your favorite NASCAR drivers? Who is your favorite, then who do you have a lot of respect for?

I agreee with you alot on the drivers you picked.For those are the people I also like/admire/respect.

But one thing I agree on (this has been said a page ago),and that is Speed needs to know that NASCAR isn't the only sport out there. I remember when Speed gave you full coverage of the 24 hrs. of LeMans.Now this year only 17 hrs. However this year I can understand with their contract with the NCTS,and F1 (qualifying and a NCTS race are on on those other 7 hours).

I've been thinking about the NASCAR Busch Grand National race in Lebanon, TN. Carl Edwards went from planes to helicopters to eventually start 7th(?). Crazy thing is, he'd go on to win that race. Can you believe it?

He used the same car for the race Saturday that he won the April Nashville race with.

In Cup, I'm happy for Jeff Gordon again. I figured the race would be ended since I don't see any lights around the race track. Pocono has been called as the most boring track by some of NASCAR's talent. I think of it as "the driver's oval."

If it didn't get shortened because of rain, it would've got shortened by darkness because there aren't lights at Pocono. And Jeff Gordon has done a great job in his 'drive for five' this year, come chase time he & Johnson will probably be tied for the lead.

Let me just clear the air by asking a question to all of you. What are some of your favorite NASCAR drivers? Who is your favorite, then who do you have a lot of respect for?

Gordon, Mears & Kenseth are my favorites, especially Mears as of late, after winning the Coke 600 and backing it up with some top 15 runs putting the naysayers to bed who said that he would be out and Jr. would be in.

I know i may be a little late but who do you think would have won the race this past weekend if there was no rain
Hamlin was doing good
I think it would have been him or Stewart

Not sure if anyone has heard this but ESPN is reporting that Dale Jr. will join Hendrick Motosports. The two most popular drivers on one team. Also it seems that he will be replacing Kyle Busch in the #5 car. Hmm...sounds interesting. He's supposed to announce his decision tomorrow.

Earnhardt Jr. will go and who he will drive for in 2008 and the future? NASCAR Nextel Cup driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. has scheduled a news conference for Wednesday at 11:00a,/et at his JR Motorsports race shop. [This is NOT open to the public] A full transcript will be released shortly after the news conference.(JR Motorsports PR)
SPEED to televise UPDATE: must be big....SPEED will interrupt regularly scheduled programming Wednesday morning, June 13 at 10:00am/et in anticipation of a live press conference from JR Motorsports about the future plans of Nextel Cup Series driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. At 11:00am/et, John Roberts will host a special live edition of The SPEED Report, with Bob Dillner on site in Mooresville, N.C. The press conference is expected to last one hour. At 7:00pm/et, SPEED will present a special half-hour edition of The SPEED Report to summarize the day's events.
XM Radio Sports Nation (XM channel 144) will also air the press conference live.
AND SIRIUS Satellite Radio will provide listeners with comprehensive live coverage of the news conference on Sirius NASCAR Radio channel 128
UPDATE: Officials with Ginn Racing and Joe Gibbs Racing each said their teams were not involved in the news conference while a spokesperson for Richard Childress Racing said the team owner is out of the country [New Zealand] on a hunting trip and that he is not expected to be back in the country tomorrow. A Hendrick Motorsports spokesman had no comment. A call to Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s spokesman was not immediately returned.(SceneDaily.com)
UPDATE 2: ESPN.com's Marty Smith reports: Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Wednesday will announce his intent to drive the #5 Hendrick Motorsports Chevy in 2008, multiple sources with intimate knowledge of negotiations told ESPN.com Tuesday on condition of anonymity. Hendrick Motorsports declined comment Tuesday, and e-mails and calls sent to Earnhardt's representation were not returned. Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, who has handled contract negotiations for her brother, declined to comment on the report. There was some speculation that the wheels are already in motion to plant Earnhardt in the #5 now driven by Kyle Busch before season's end, but Dale Earnhardt, Inc. president Max Siegel, contacted by phone Tuesday, discounted that scenario, saying Earnhardt would remain in the #8 through season's end. Sources said there are indications that Busch may not finish the year in the #5. Busch is under contract with HMS through the end of next season, and Hendrick had been working to sign the 22-year old driver to an extension. Jeff Dickerson, an attorney for Busch, told ESPN.com that "a lot of things may or may not occur. Out of respect for Hendrick Motorsports, we're not really sure what's going on yet. But we're trying. I don't think anything's changed yet. I can not tell you that Kyle is out of the #5 for 2008." Meanwhile, one potential scenario would be Casey Mears moving to the #5 and Earnhardt moving to the #25 currently being driven by Mears [Budweiser sponsored Hendrick and the #25 for many years]. It is unknown whether sponsor Budweiser will follow Earnhardt to Hendrick.(ESPN.com), the Associated Press is reporting similar news/speculatn.(6-12-2007)
UPDATE 3: Hearing that Dale Earnhardt, Jr. will end up at Hendrick Motorsports, taking Kyle Busch's roster spot. As to what happens to Busch, he'll take Junior's place at Dale Earnhardt, Incorporated.(6-12-2007)

(filler text)

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will go to Hendrick Motorsports next season. I didn't actually think about this very much until I said it to myself- Dale Jr. will race for Hendrick Motorsports. Meaning he'll be among Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson among others. Most of you know I love both Gordon and Johnson. The thing I fear is the Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon bond. The two are more of rivals on the race track. I wonder what would happen if Jeff Gordon wins at Talladega and Dale Jr. finishing 2nd... will Dale Jr. stick up for J. Gordon if the stupid fans soil Gordon in crap again?

Some interesting dynamics working into this. So my discussion question to all of you:

How many races do you think Dale Jr. will win before this season is over?

Dale Earnhardt Jr. will go to Hendrick Motorsports next season. I didn't actually think about this very much until I said it to myself- Dale Jr. will race for Hendrick Motorsports. Meaning he'll be among Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson among others. Most of you know I love both Gordon and Johnson. The thing I fear is the Dale Jr. and Jeff Gordon bond. The two are more of rivals on the race track. I wonder what would happen if Jeff Gordon wins at Talladega and Dale Jr. finishing 2nd... will Dale Jr. stick up for J. Gordon if the stupid fans soil Gordon in crap again?

Some interesting dynamics working into this. So my discussion question to all of you:

He will win 1 race (race will be held at the track at his house # of cars in race 1). I just feel sorry for Hendrick's because Jr's broke all the cars his daddy gave him so now he's off to wreck other owners cars. I only hope that Hendrick's is getting a lot of money to support a "driver" that can't drive.

I want to see when they get to Talledega too.What will all "Junioretards" do/say if that happends?

At least 2, I'm sure he'll do everything he can to end his DEI career on a high note.

He will win 1 race (race will be held at the track at his house # of cars in race 1). I just feel sorry for Hendrick's because Jr's broke all the cars his daddy gave him so now he's off to wreck other owners cars. I only hope that Hendrick's is getting a lot of money to support a "driver" that can't drive.

That's not the reason why he left DEI, he left because he felt DEI wasn't building him cars that would allow him to be in contention for wins every week and to be in contention for the championship. He's a damn good driver, he's won the Daytona 500 & the Winston (a.k.a. Nextel all Star challenge) and has been in contention for the championship ever since he came to cup. (if you take away the '05 season)

I think him moving to Hendrick will only better Hendrick as a team and Jr. as a driver, and the team will only get stronger as time goes on.

yup
he went with hendrick

.....And it's official:

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to drive for Hendrick in 2008: announced via live on TV, Dale Earnhardt Jr., current driver of the #8 Budweiser Chevy for DEI, will drive for Hendrick Motorsports starting in 2008. Dale Jr. started the press conference with a short speach/explanation, then introduced his new team owner Rick Hendrick and unveiled the Hendrick Motorsports logo. One thing noticed...the biggest smile ever seen on Dale Jr.'s face.
Hendrick was asked about having a full stable of drivers, Hendrick immediately brought up Kyle Busch and working on a contract extension, that Busch was talking to other teams, Hendrick said conversations with Busch led both to realize it would be better for Busch to look at his other opportunities and part ways, but that Busch would run the #5 Chevy for the remainder of the season.
As for a car number and sponsor for Dale Earnhardt Jr., Hendrick said none of that has been finalized as of yet.
Dale Jr. said concerning Budweiser that sponsorship has not been talked about, before the press conference, SPEED reported that Budweiser is talking to other teams, including Kasey Kahne.
As for the #8, Dale Jr. mentioned he would like to keep the #8 and would talk to Teresa Earnhardt [owner of DEI #8] and that drew a large laugh from the media, but said he is looking for a number and car design that would look 'cool'.
Asked about crew members and current crew chief Tony Eury Jr., Dale Jr. said it would have to be discussed down the road.
Dale Jr. said all the other rumors to other teams [Gibbs/VISA, RCR] came out of thin air.
Hendrick said Kyle Busch would finish the season in the #5 Chevy and run for the championship
Hendrick said he would be open to swapping the #5 for the #8 if DEI is interested, but no discussions so far. But said the #24 and #48 are locked up and nodded his head when said the number Dale Jr would use was between the #5 and #25.
The deal is a five-year deal 2008-2112
The press conference ended at 12:05pm/et....let the speculation begin
(TV Coverage of the Dale Earnhardt Jr. Press Conference, transcript will be available later and posted)(6-13-2007)

I want to see when they get to Talledega too.What will all "Junioretards" do/say if that happends?

I'm sure most of the fans will support him, and the ones that don't will just have to deal with him being Jeff Gordon's teamate until 2013. (where his Hendrick contract expires, but I'm sure he'll resign if he's won some races and a championsihp by then)

well
at least he went with a good team
with him and Johnson on the same team and him and tony still friends
gordon will win the cup,Johnson and jr in the top 10 and tony and hamlin in the top 5
thats my prediction
I dont know why I cant think of how to spell Jhonson right

Wow, I'm surprised about this decision. As a harcore Gordon fan I'm unsure about this. I guess it's just the fact that it seems awkward for an Earnhardt alongside Gordon and hendrick motorsports, knowing how Earnhardt Sr. and Gordon were pretty much the main competetive rivals back in the day. Oh well, all's good. I'm gonna be excited to see what the outcome will be with Jr. and Gordon at a Daytona or Talladega as teammates.

As long as Jr. is able to bump Gordon out of the way, it's all right with me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back