• 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
GTP_machschnel
I was reading an old thread today which discussed the possibility of NASCARs in GT5 and I got thinking, what if Polyphony gave us one NASCAR as an update? I think it would work for a variety of reasons;

- Daytona is already in the game, maybe the best track for stock car racing

- They could add a NASCAR event at Daytona, say 50 laps

- It would add interest to the large U.S market and from what I hear EAs' latest NASCAR games have not been the best.

- I don't know the details, but i'm sure it couldn't be too hard to model a NASCAR, atleast not F1 hard

- They could also use it to test the waters, see if other forms of racing are popular.

I understand stock car racing may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it is an update that is essentially half finished (Track). It just seems a waste having Daytona and no stock cars.

I wouldn't count on PD putting a NASCAR stockcar in GT5P, especially considering most sales are in the PAL regions where NASCAR isn't as popular as the US, perhaps we'll see a stockcar in the full game though. I wouldn't be against it, I want to see all types of racing cars in GT5 and I find oval racing fun as long, just as I'm the one racing (I even enjoy racing on the test course!), not the one watching.

NASCAR? We've already heard that there won't be so many cars in GT5, why would I want a few spots wasted on circle workers?

daihatsu_midget_ii_13027.jpg

^^ That thing was in GT4.. GT4 was a PS2 game and they managed to cramp over 600 cars, right? They should leave out crap like that and put in a NASCAR car or two.

NASCAR? We've already heard that there won't be so many cars in GT5, why would I want a few spots wasted on circle workers?

Where's the source for this? I wan't to read it.. Sounds interesting.
On another note; NASCAR vehicles are great cars for what they do. It's a different type of racing vehicle, it doesn't suit every (like you) but it may be a really cool idea for some people. I don't really enjoy NASCAR that much but driving one in GT5 would be pretty awesome.

EA own the rights for Nascar to appear in Video Games. Sure Polyphony could add Nascars to GT5 but they wouldnt feature any type of official Sponsorship logos on the car, Polyphony added a Nascar in GT2 but only way you could get it was buying the Ford Taurus and add the Special Racing Modification try it if you havent already, also GT5 Prologue Sub Forum isnt related to this....

No NASCAR because then people wouldn't buy the game. Simple. Stupid idea.

If people wanted NASCAR, they'd buy NASCAR09.

I'd like a Nascar, why not? I mean, variety is the spice of life. And I'd rather REAL racing cars over the fake "Viper By GT" stuff we have now. Maybe replace that with a couple of FIA GT cars, a Nascar, or a V8SC or DTM perhaps?

I would welcome some Nascar type content.
It's a whole different genre of racing, with it's own strategy.

In real life, Nascar events attract the biggest crowds.
Why?
Because it's good entertainment. There's always someone overtaking someone. Usually, going into the last lap there are 5 or 6 cars that could win.

I put my money where my mouth is and bought Nascar 09 👍

PLEASE, No Nascar in GT5. :yuck: Instead I would like to see some Austrailan V8 Supercars, You Know something interesting.:)

PLEASE, No Nascar in GT5. :yuck: Instead I would like to see some Austrailan V8 Supercars, You Know something interesting.:)

:cheers:

You know, I honestly tried watching a NASCAR race on TV once, I really tried. Even when they were only showing highlights I found it extremely boring.:crazy:

I´m with Blake, more variety can´t be a bad thing.
And it would be a real hoot taking a NASCAR type car around Nürburgring!

As for the "good entertainment" comment, I have a feeling most people watch it for the crashes rather than the racing. I can´t really say that the racing is great at all, as all those made up yellow-flag periods are a real turn off. No wonder they can have 5-6 cars running for the win, when all they have is a 10 lap sprint to the chequered flag.
No, I don´t particularly like watching NASCAR, but I wouldn´t mind having some of the cars in a game, but in GT5P? No, wait for GT5!

I wouldn't be against having a model or two, I'm not a NASCAR fan but I'd find it interesting compaing a NASCAR type car to othe cars and even if racing them on an oval doesn't thrill me, who am I to deny that to people that like it. GT is about variety and there is no reason thhere shouldn't be any representation of NASCAR or similar to at least a small degree.

I wouldn't be against having a model or two, I'm not a NASCAR fan but I'd find it interesting compaing a NASCAR type car to othe cars and even if racing them on an oval doesn't thrill me, who am I to deny that to people that like it. GT is about variety and there is no reason thhere shouldn't be any representation of NASCAR or similar to at least a small degree.

We know that Japans premier racing cars will be present, not sure about DTM, or Australian V8 Supers, but a couple of each would be great fun. GT4 kinda let you race the GT super cars from Japan and the US GT cars together, it would be cool to see DTM and Aus added. The main thing is that we should not be able to tune motors, just gear and suspension on all races cars. I think PD should class them in a few different PP's to allow many to race together, amybe modifying the weight to make them competitive with each other.

No because putting nascar in would probably take something else out, id rather have JGTC, FIA GT or WTCC.

I voted no, but if they added only 1 generic stock car where you can change some of the settings(not the engine or weight) and had a livery editor, I would change my vote.

Yeah I think it would be cool to have 1 COT in the game. I mean why not? I think it would be cool if you could have rally, oval, road, endurance, drag ect... All in one nice little package.

Oh and btw until we start seeing some of the road course guy's winning on oval's or at least finishing in the top 15 consistantly I dont think anyone has the right to slag off the drivers in nascar and say that it isnt a hard form of motor sport. Because from what I have seen all these open wheel hot shots get into a "NASCAR" and look like a 15 year old just learning how to drive.

Two staights and 4 left turns sounds simple until you have to do it for 4 hours with 42 other guys and a wall surrounding you.

As for it being boring to each their own, Some race's I can watch all the way through some I cant.

Last edited:
I am not big of NASCAR fan. Sure even in EUROPE is not popular, but it would not hurt to have 4 NASCAR cars, Toyota, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, in game. I think this game would bring NASCAR popularity UP. And it would be nice challenge from time to time. It should be as download and not in full game. But then again, GT series have better physics for street cars rather then race cars, do not think PC gamers would say that GT version is better.

I'm no NASCAR fanboy, but it is a legitimate and very popular form of racing in North America. Other than changing the setup menu to allow for separate settings for all 4 corners of the car, I see no reason why not to have stock cars in gt5. But as an update in prologue, I voted no.

I don't like NASCAR or really any form of stock car racing, but I see no point why there shouldn't be one in the game. It doesn't need to have a licensed paint scheme on it, just a generic PD/GT one like the Formula 1 car has. Plus GT has had a NASCAR in the past with the racing modified Taurus SHO in the GT2. It essentially turned the car into this...

wr7.jpg

Honestly I would like a GT game void of racecars in general since I don't really want to race LMP, F1, or JGTC cars. But they are in there and other people want them so I just deal with it and select other vehicles when I can. And you know what? If a NASCAR was in the game I think every could probably do the same thing I do.

Nascar cars in GT5 would be kind of cool.
1 Dodge , 1 Ford , 1 Chevy , 1 Toyota - each available with different paint schemes.

Run a mini series with them :

3 road courses - Daytona road , Laguna Seca , Homestead road
3 ovals - Daytona , Bristol ( short track ) , California

Nascar cars in GT5 would be kind of cool.
1 Dodge , 1 Ford , 1 Chevy , 1 Toyota - each available with different paint schemes.

Run a mini series with them :

3 road courses - Daytona road , Laguna Seca , Homestead road
3 ovals - Daytona , Bristol ( short track ) , California

that would be great.

maybe they could include some of the older cars from the 90's, like the Lumina, Grand Prix, T-Bird, and the Buick.

There NOT will be Nascar. EA has exclusive rights to produce games with their trademark. It would have to be a 'stock car'.

No because putting nascar in would probably take something else out, id rather have JGTC, FIA GT or WTCC.
Where have people gotten the idea that GT5 is already set at how many cars there can be, and that for 1 car to be put in, another possible 1 must be removed?

GT5's car list isn't being based on the Conservation of Energy, folks....
No NASCAR because then people wouldn't buy the game. Simple. Stupid idea.

If people wanted NASCAR, they'd buy NASCAR09.
Much like your theory that 1 car out of even 300 will suddenly turn someone off from a game?

I wouldn't mind if they did include NASCAR's, because variety doesn't hurt.
However, I'm not too bothered about them being left out either, not a race series I'm particularly bothered about being left out of the seemingly "history of racing" PD is sort of doing, at least with GT4 anyway.

I would probably try driving them if they were included, but I can see right now I would very likely barely ever use them.

Why does everyone keep requesting one NASCAR from every brand? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use all the exact same bodies and engines now, with only the stickers on the cars making any difference?

Reventón;3270679
Where have people gotten the idea that GT5 is already set at how many cars there can be, and that for 1 car to be put in, another possible 1 must be removed?

GT5's car list isn't being based on the Conservation of Energy, folks....

That's what's happened to all other games, like GTA, Tiger Woods, Midnight Club, hell, pretty much every game I've played on PS3 so far has less content than their PS2 predecessors because they upped the graphics and a few gameplay features which meant less disc space for actual content like story missions and more cars. Of course, all these games also had an X-Box 360 counterpart which still uses DVD discs :dunce:, so maybe GT5 will be different only being on PS3 with a blu-ray, but it doesn't change teh fact that the disc still has limited space.

Why does everyone keep requesting one NASCAR from every brand? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use all the exact same bodies and engines now, with only the stickers on the cars making any difference?

No they really are different.Thats why each team has it's own engine and build shop.The cars have to meet Nascar standards as far as template fit on body and certain engine restrictions. It's up to the guys in the shop to build the driver a good car to race with.. Ohhhhh yes , there are some bending of the rules going on in Nascar as well , it's just a matter of who does not get caught.

Back