• Thread starter machscnel
  • 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
So then, since teams wouldn't admit where their cars are faster, for the purpose of GT5 they'd all look and perform exactly the same with different stickers on anyway?

Why does everyone keep requesting one NASCAR from every brand? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they use all the exact same bodies and engines now, with only the stickers on the cars making any difference?

Yeah, they are pretty much identical, but only in that they have to meet the rules and regs of Nascar. There are some who love BMW's or Mercs and then there's the Ferrari and Porsche clans. Same in Nascar, some love Chevy's and hate Fords. Same could be said for F1 or V8 Supercars. Making just one of a particular class of car just wouldn't cut it.

That's what's happened to all other games, like GTA, Tiger Woods, Midnight Club, hell, pretty much every game I've played on PS3 so far has less content than their PS2 predecessors because they upped the graphics and a few gameplay features which meant less disc space for actual content like story missions and more cars. Of course, all these games also had an X-Box 360 counterpart which still uses DVD discs :dunce:, so maybe GT5 will be different only being on PS3 with a blu-ray, but it doesn't change teh fact that the disc still has limited space.

Yes, they could only fit so much on a disk, but that's why we could have downloadable content. Then we would only be limited to hard drive space.

For the purpose of GT5 they'd all look and perform exactly the same with different stickers on anyway?

not quite. there are slight differences in the engines between the manufacturers depending on how much the company puts into R&D, and the teams with more money generally have better tuned engines. it may only be 3-15 HP but it makes a noticeable difference.

the cars also have very slight aerodynamic differences that affect performance.

in GT4 they put in some cars that ran at Le Mans, some DTM cars, and just about every JGTC car they could think of, i think they could take out some JGTC cars to make room for stock cars

Any stockcar would be fine with me.

A Fantasy Nationwide car would be sick 👍

There NOT will be Nascar. EA has exclusive rights to produce games with their trademark. It would have to be a 'stock car'.

That doesnt matter. they can go to the individual car makers (GM, Toyota, Ford or Dodge) and license the car just like iracing.com

Last edited:
No.NASCAR just doesnt fit GT tradition.Leave NASCAR to EA.

Sure it fits in. Gran Turismo is intended to be an automotive museum. NASCAR is one of the most well known and popular forms of motorsport (and sport in general), it has played a big part in the history of motorsport and the American automotive business too. I think that's a good enough reason for there to be at least one NASCAR stockcar in the game. I really can't believe there are so many people against this, it's not like putting at least one stock car in the game is going to kill you.

I would like to see some, I am not a real Nascar fan (to watch) but I used to really get into the Nascar season series of sims from Sierra (Papyrus) and it is fun to race anyway. The interiors would look awesome (full caged in shell)

Did'nt like the nascar in GT2, because is was'nt a real nascar
it was FWD and a Nascar is RWD, that was a big dissapointment
from me to PD, they make such a great looking car, they give you 600hp
to play with it, but everything is going to the front wheels:ouch:

If they ad 1 let it be RWD and then yes i would enjoy it!!!

I never played GT2, but did the Taurus seriously reach 600hp through the front wheels?:crazy:

i would rather want NASCAR than 86 variations of Skyline.. anything new is good as some of you have said here

for the purpose of GT5 they'd all look and perform exactly the same with different stickers on anyway?

PD does the same thing with it's F1 cars , same perfromance level , but different colors. Nascar cars ( pending manufacturer ) due vary in the engine program ( several horsepower ), and aero program ( tons of wind tunnel testing ). As far as playing Nascar '09 ( EA platform ) , I really don't care for it , I tried it , just never really did anything for me. Now if you let PD do something with Nascar , I am 100 % convinced it would smoke the living h*** out of the EA. version. Just a small mini series like I posted before , 3 road courses , 3 ovals , 4 cars with different paint schemes just for identification purposes,

I know there are a lot against Nascar , which is quite fine , each is entitled to there opinion. If you don't like Nascar , dont buy a car , and don't run the events , simple. I myself am not a big fan of of the Rally car mode , I'm not b******* about it being in the game , so it's there , OK , lets move on , right ?. PD will do what they feel is necessary to build the ultimate racing game , and try to make it appealing to all. I say " give it a shot " .

There's loads of cars I'd rather not see in GT5. The multiples of the japanese regulars can go for a start. Let's just have a couple of the best versions shall we ?

If there is going to be a limit on the numbers of cars in GT5 I'd rather not see a NASCAR presence taking up disk space or development time.

How about some classic race cars ? Aston, Porsche, Alfa, Jaguar, Mustang, Shelby, Chevron, Maserati, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW etc. From loads of different eras. And their road car counterparts.

Anyway, it's all speculation and personal preference isn't it ?

i'd rather, as some have said, see stock cars than to see different variations of the same car and the little odd cars like in gt4 you couldn't even compete with...steam driven? c'mon.

I like Nascar, so I think it would be good. Though, I'd preffer some BTCC cars first...

I also like the ieda of tuning a Nascar to drift...

If there is going to be a limit on the numbers of cars in GT5

Sigh, once again I'll repeat what many have said before - there is no "limit" to the number of cars to be in GT5, the only limit is licensing.
The reason your favourite cars or whatever are not in the game is not because a Skyline took its space, its because the license for that particular car was either too expensive, too difficult to obtain or PD didn't even bother trying to get it. Not because disk space issues or time restraints. I mean, do you really think time restraints are an issue for Polyphony Digital? We're talking about a company here which takes years of time to make their perfect game, time really is not an issue.

PD does the same thing with it's F1 cars , same perfromance level , but different colors. Nascar cars ( pending manufacturer ) due vary in the engine program ( several horsepower ), and aero program ( tons of wind tunnel testing ). As far as playing Nascar '09 ( EA platform ) , I really don't care for it , I tried it , just never really did anything for me. Now if you let PD do something with Nascar , I am 100 % convinced it would smoke the living h*** out of the EA. version. Just a small mini series like I posted before , 3 road courses , 3 ovals , 4 cars with different paint schemes just for identification purposes,

I know there are a lot against Nascar , which is quite fine , each is entitled to there opinion. If you don't like Nascar , dont buy a car , and don't run the events , simple. I myself am not a big fan of of the Rally car mode , I'm not b******* about it being in the game , so it's there , OK , lets move on , right ?. PD will do what they feel is necessary to build the ultimate racing game , and try to make it appealing to all. I say " give it a shot " .

No way should there be 6 tracks for 1 racing type, 3 oval tracks would be a waste.

No way should there be 6 tracks for 1 racing type, 3 oval tracks would be a waste.

Well, to be fair, we are getting at least two ovals for certain (I seem to recall Indianapolis being semi-confirmed for GT5 somewhere?).
Also, I'm guessing such tracks are used for more than just NASCAR, just like Spa, Le Mans, Silverstone or any other track.

But I agree that any more than 3 ovals is overkill.

Dont forget the Twin Ring Motegi Superspeedway. ;)

Has it been confirmed? Though, yes, it will probably be in there too. Maybe even Super Speedway as well.
So there we have it, 5 ovals are possible for GT5.

it would only be four cars, each with different paint. we don't need 10 JGTC Supras, those small crappy cars with less than 90 HP, or 100's of Skylines; they can make room.

those small crappy cars with less than 90 HP, or they can make room.

Hey! Some of us do appreciate those cars. They are more deserving of a place than a NASCAR anyway.

And why do they need to "make room"? I'm not going to repeat myself again, so just read my previous post.

Plus considering how much space is on a Blu-Ray disc I think you would have to have a lot of cars before you started making decisions on what to keep and what to toss.

Plus considering how much space is on a Blu-Ray disc I think you would have to have a lot of cars before you started making decisions on what to keep and what to toss.

Even if that were a problem, they can just start sticking stuff on the HDD through download.

Hey! Some of us do appreciate those cars. They are more deserving of a place than a NASCAR anyway.
sorry, and they are NOT more deserving of a place in GT

And why do they need to "make room"? I'm not going to repeat myself again, so just read my previous post.
the licensing costs money, if they didn't include some of the cars i mentioned then PD would have money to spend on the licensing for some stock cars. i should have said something like that instead of "make room"

I think the people on here that don't want to see a NASCAR stock car are just scared of a 3400lbs, 800hp car on 10 inch slicks. They just don't like a challenge. For the people who say it doesn't fit the GT tradition, nether does Porsche. Yet I don't see people telling Porsche fans to buy NFS to get there fix, so why tell us NASCAR fans to buy NASCAR '09. EA makes both of those games( and they both suck for the same reason "EA")

Back