• Thread starter machscnel
  • 248 comments

Do you want a NASCAR update?

• Yes

Votes: 79 37.6%
  • No

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters
I think the people on here that don't want to see a NASCAR stock car are just scared of a 3400lbs, 800hp car on 10 inch slicks. They just don't like a challenge. For the people who say it doesn't fit the GT tradition, nether does Porsche. Yet I don't see people telling Porsche fans to buy NFS to get there fix, so why tell us NASCAR fans to buy NASCAR '09. EA makes both of those games( and they both suck for the same reason "EA")

Yes, people are scared of racing a car in a circle. You cant compare porche to nascar, one is a car manufactor and then other is a racing series. id rather have some more stock cars than cars that are only raced against the same cars.

sorry, and they are NOT more deserving of a place in GT

the licensing costs money, if they didn't include some of the cars i mentioned then PD would have money to spend on the licensing for some stock cars. i should have said something like that instead of "make room"

Yes, and evidently, its cheaper for them to license Nissans. Perhaps your quarrel isn't with Polyphony, and more with the license holders themselves, hm?

I think the people on here that don't want to see a NASCAR stock car are just scared of a 3400lbs, HP car on 10 inch slicks. They just don't like a challenge. For the people who say it doesn't fit the GT tradition, nether does Porsche. Yet I don't see people telling Porsche fans to buy NFS to get there fix, so why tell us NASCAR fans to buy NASCAR '09. EA makes both of those games( and they both suck for the same reason "EA")
that and all the people here that have to setup each and every car perfectly are scared of not knowing how to setup up a car, with many more adjustments, differently on all four corners

Ardius - "Yes, and evidently, its cheaper for them to license Nissans. Perhaps your quarrel isn't with Polyphony, and more with the license holders themselves, hm?"

i think i'll have to give you that one.

Last edited:
Yeah, they do what, two roadcourses per season? Amazing! The only reason I want NASCAR type cars, are to race them at roadcourses. Going around in a circle is just plain boring in my opinion!

Yeah, they do what, two roadcourses per season? Amazing! The only reason I want NASCAR type cars, are to race them at roadcourses. Going around in a circle is just plain boring in my opinion!

Not that I want Nascars ( I voted no), but going 180mph in a cirlce in a circle is actually far more intense than racing on a road course. Of course, in GT games it's the most bring thing to do. If any of you actually get to try a "real" sim like iRacing, you'd understand what I mean. Racing on oval tracks literally makes me sweat.

No way should there be 6 tracks for 1 racing type, 3 oval tracks would be a waste.

Not really a waste : ( 1) Daytona and Daytona road , Indianapolis and Indy road , Homestead and Homestead road ( if we get these last to ). We already have one of these multi purpose tracks now ( see that - multi purpose !!! ), so whats wrong with 2 more? Indy road is in F1CE and supossedly the oval is coming to GT5 from what Ardius posted , Homestead road is in FC , both are good driving tracks , and it would not be to hard to add the oval section to these tracks , so there would be your Nascar tracks ( 6 ), it's not that difficult !!!! Even if we don't get Homestead , there's always Laguna Seca , Nascar runs road course there.

I rather have 10 different versions of the Honda Life than 1 Nascar in the whole game.

One more Nascar track would be a waste. Instead of putting in another version or another Nascar track they could put in a different version of the Nurburgring or any other track that is actually good...

I think the people on here that don't want to see a NASCAR stock car are just scared of a 3400lbs, 800hp car on 10 inch slicks. They just don't like a challenge. For the people who say it doesn't fit the GT tradition, nether does Porsche. Yet I don't see people telling Porsche fans to buy NFS to get there fix, so why tell us NASCAR fans to buy NASCAR '09. EA makes both of those games( and they both suck for the same reason "EA")

How does Porsche not fit GT "tradition?" Porsche makes super cars and super cars have been in every Gran Turismo. Porsche makes Le Mans cars and Le Mans cars have been in every Gran Turismo. Nascars have never been in Gran Turismo.

Last edited:
Sure it fits in. Gran Turismo is intended to be an automotive museum. NASCAR is one of the most well known and popular forms of motorsport (and sport in general), it has played a big part in the history of motorsport and the American automotive business too. I think that's a good enough reason for there to be at least one NASCAR stockcar in the game. I really can't believe there are so many people against this, it's not like putting at least one stock car in the game is going to kill you.
Gran Turismo is all about exitement of racing. Spoons, chichanes, all types of turns. NASCAR is just 100's of laps going in circles. That is really boring. 1 NASCAR in GT5 wont kill us but that means 1 less car made for turns. Would you take the Nissan GTR out for a car that only can turn left?

TVC
I rather have 10 different versions of the Honda Life than 1 Nascar in the whole game.

One more Nascar track would be a waste. Instead of putting in another version or another Nascar track they could put in a different version of the Nurburgring or any other track that is actually good...

You know Daytona has more than just NASCAR races right?

You know Daytona has more than just NASCAR races right?

Yes and that is already in the game. Why have another Nascar track in a game that is not meant for Nascar? Would you rather have another Nascar track or a a good city track or something?

TVC
Yes and that is already in the game. Why have another Nascar track in a game that is not meant for Nascar? Would you rather have another Nascar track or a a good city track or something?

Since many ovals offer and inner course as well I really wouldn't have to many qualms about it. Maybe they could offer these tracks as a download pack at a later date so those who want them can purchase them. But really the more tracks the better, no matter what they are.

Gran Turismo is all about exitement of racing. Spoons, chichanes, all types of turns. NASCAR is just 100's of laps going in circles. That is really boring. 1 NASCAR in GT5 wont kill us but that means 1 less car made for turns. Would you take the Nissan GTR out for a car that only can turn left?

So, your opinion counts for everyone? :rolleyes: If a NASCAR stockcar makes it into the game, there wont be anyone forcing you to drive it around on ovals, anyway, so there goes that problem. And I doubt that if PD did put a stockcar in the game, that it would take place of any really popular, well known cars.

I still don't understand why some people think NASCAR isn't supposed to be in GT, it has just as much right to be in there as a WRC car, an LMP, a touring car and of course the road cars.

So, your opinion counts for everyone? :rolleyes: If a NASCAR stockcar makes it into the game, there wont be anyone forcing you to drive it around on ovals, anyway, so there goes that problem. And I doubt that if PD did put a stockcar in the game, that it would take place of any really popular, well known cars.

I still don't understand why some people think NASCAR isn't supposed to be in GT, it has just as much right to be in there as a WRC car, an LMP, a touring car and of course the road cars.

Because Nascar is only in the US whereas the other types of races you named are international. I don't think a lot of people in Japan and Europe watch Nascar and GT sells the most in EU (by a lot) and Japan is about the same as the US.

TVC
Because Nascar is only in the US whereas the other types of races you named are international. I don't think a lot of people in Japan and Europe watch Nascar and GT sells the most in EU (by a lot) and Japan is about the same as the US.
JGTC is only in Japan, how many of them where there in past GT games?

JGTC is to Japan what NASCAR is to the US, the major racing series in that country.

they both have, at some point in time, affected the designs of the car manufacturers that compete in the series.

TVC

NASCAR is also in Canada and Mexico, not to mention that it was exported to Australia and Japan years ago. It's not as popular outside of North America but it is still broadcast in 150 countries world wide, so I'm guessing that there is enough of a following to warrant it.

JGTC is to Japan what NASCAR is to the US, the major racing series in that country.

they both have, at some point in time, affected the designs of the car manufacturers that compete in the series.

But JGTC is more like Le Mans. If you want Nascars in the game why not also have dragsters in the game? How about trophy trucks? Lawnmower racing?

PD is also a Japanese company so it only makes sense they would have cars from a popular race series in Japan.

NASCAR is also in Canada and Mexico, not to mention that it was exported to Australia and Japan years ago. It's not as popular outside of North America but it is still broadcast in 150 countries world wide, so I'm guessing that there is enough of a following to warrant it.

It's most popular in the U.S. They broadcast Dakar here and there are Americans in Dakar but it is most popular in Europe. The only reason they exported it in Japan and Australia and broadcast it in 150 countries is to attempt to make it more popular and get more money but that doesn't mean it is popular there.

Let´s put it this way: By my count there are 74 racecars (counting rallycars and driftcars too) from Japan, 34 from Europe and 14 (!) from the USA, so the US is vastly underrepresented in GT4, in terms of racecars. So having a few NASCAR type cars wouldn´t hurt at all, if nothing else just to even out the number a bit. There´s actually a whole lot of Japanese racecars that I could definitely do without aswell.

TVC
But JGTC is more like Le Mans. If you want Nascars in the game why not also have dragsters in the game? How about trophy trucks? Lawnmower racing?

There were dragsters in GT2 and I really see no reason why they shouldn't be included in future instalments, especially if the drag strip is coming back. Also a trophy truck would be OK since there are dirt tracks you have to race.

It's most popular in the U.S. They broadcast Dakar here and there are Americans in Dakar but it is most popular in Europe. The only reason they exported it in Japan and Australia and broadcast it in 150 countries is to attempt to make it more popular and get more money but that doesn't mean it is popular there.

I assume you have proof that just because it is broadcast in 150 it isn't popular? I'm more or less under the impression a television station would not pick up a programme that people aren't going to watch. There must be some sort of demand for it.

And I fail to see your point about the Dakar, just because Americans are in something doesn't mean it's going to get picked up here. It's not popular therefore a station isn't going to pick it up.

And as I've said, I don't like NASCAR one bit, it is probably the most boring motorsport on TV. But that isn't a valid argument not to have a stock car in GT.

I assume you have proof that just because it is broadcast in 150 it isn't popular? I'm more or less under the impression a television station would not pick up a programme that people aren't going to watch. There must be some sort of demand for it.

And as I've said, I don't like NASCAR one bit, it is probably the most boring motorsport on TV. But that isn't a valid argument not to have a stock car in GT.

So you are saying it is just as popular in one of those 150 countries as it is in the U.S?

If you don't like it why are you arguing with me to have it in the game? That doesn't make sense?

TVC
So you are saying it is just as popular in one of those 150 countries as it is in the U.S?

No, please read what I am writing. I am saying there must be a demand for it in other countries or it would not be shown there. It doesn't make economic sense for a TV station to broadcast a programme no one is going to watch. And no I am not claiming any other country embraces NASCAR like America does (although I'm sure Canadians are up there), I'm just saying that it is probably more popular than you think just because there is a demand for it to be shown elsewhere.

If you don't like it why are you arguing with me to have it in the game? That doesn't make sense?

Because I still want a wide variety of vehicles in GT to experiment with and race. GT is a great collection of virtual vehicles and offers a decent representation of what it would be like to drive them. There is a place for anything related to automotive history in the GT series, that's what makes it great.

Let´s put it this way: By my count there are 74 racecars (counting rallycars and driftcars too) from Japan, 34 from Europe and 14 (!) from the USA, so the US is vastly underrepresented in GT4, in terms of racecars. So having a few NASCAR type cars wouldn´t hurt at all, if nothing else just to even out the number a bit. There´s actually a whole lot of Japanese racecars that I could definitely do without as well.

i agree and i think the US is vastly under represented in the GT series. now, given that PD is Japanese that explains some of it, but 14 out of 122 racecars are American, that's ridiculous!

No, please read what I am writing. I am saying there must be a demand for it in other countries or it would not be shown there. It doesn't make economic sense for a TV station to broadcast a programme no one is going to watch. And no I am not claiming any other country embraces NASCAR like America does (although I'm sure Canadians are up there), I'm just saying that it is probably more popular than you think just because there is a demand for it to be shown elsewhere.

Because I still want a wide variety of vehicles in GT to experiment with and race. GT is a great collection of virtual vehicles and offers a decent representation of what it would be like to drive them. There is a place for anything related to automotive history in the GT series, that's what makes it great.

The demand could be Nascar making a few dollars every race. Something having "demand" and being popular is a lot different. I said it was not popular I didn't say no one wanted to watch it. Speaking of demand just look at the poll results. From what I see there isn't much of a demand to have a Nascar in the game.

Yes but when they make you use them that is different. I doubt they will waste the time to model a Nascar in full detail and not make you race one.

If you want more American race cars in the game why not just put more in from the (American) Le Mans and more Indy cars? They are all faster and some of them are American.

TVC
The demand could be Nascar making a few dollars every race. Something having "demand" and being popular is a lot different. I said it was not popular I didn't say no one wanted to watch it. Speaking of demand just look at the poll results. From what I see there isn't much of a demand to have a Nascar in the game.

Yes but when they make you use them that is different. I doubt they will waste the time to model a Nascar in full detail and not make you race one.

What? If something is in demand it is by definition popular, they essentially mean the same thing. People aren't going to watch something they aren't interested in, especially when there is always something else on.

There isn't much of a demand because only 105 people have been polled, that is by no means an accurate sampling of GT players all over the world. Get a larger sampling from a more diverse group and then we will see how it pans out.

And so what if you had to race them in the game? I'm sure we all race cars we do not want to. I personally don't like racing Le Mans cars or the JGTC cars for that matter but I still do it because it's part of the game.

Funny, right after I think of my clever member label, I stumble upon this thread.
So I'll make my opinion as short as possible.
-Nascar is not what GT fans need. Nascar is about Advertising, and the drivers promoting their sponsors more than it is about driving. There is no glory in driving left for hours on end.
To put Nascars in Gran Turismo is the equivalent of putting Sonic and Mario in the same game togeth- oh wait...bad example.

Bottom line is, NASCAR belongs far from those who enjoy turning left AND right.

If there WERE some available, i wouldn't really be offended, I just think if they're taking time to put nascars in the game, thats time wasted that could be put towards a better, more exotic or rare car.

Last edited:
First off, you anti-Nascar guys are a riot. I'm amazed we haven't had the, "NASCAR takes no skill" line yet.

Yes, people are scared of racing a car in a circle. You cant compare porche to nascar, one is a car manufactor and then other is a racing series. id rather have some more stock cars than cars that are only raced against the same cars.
Actually, anyone would be scared to drive a NASCAR to the same pace professionals do. 180Mph on an oval is one of the most difficult things to master.
It's boring to us because we aren't on the course. Driving on a oval is actually a pretty cool experience for those who've had a chance.
TVC

That's your opinion, though. Others will think differently.

BTW, why would it be a waste? We had the NASCAR layout of 1 track in GT4.

How does Porsche not fit GT "tradition?" Porsche makes super cars and super cars have been in every Gran Turismo. Porsche makes Le Mans cars and Le Mans cars have been in every Gran Turismo. Nascars have never been in Gran Turismo.
Except for the one in GT2. So, technically, at least Nascar has been legally in the game more than Porsche.
TVC
We had one in GT4....
TVC
And I don't think a lot of people in the US watch the SuperGT or FIA GT, so why should we have 20 SuperGT cars?

Your point is moot.
Funny, right after I think of my clever member label, I stumble upon this thread.
So I'll make my opinion as short as possible.
-Nascar is not what GT fans need. Nascar is about Advertising, and the drivers promoting their sponsors more than it is about driving. There is no glory in driving left for hours on end.
To put Nascars in Gran Turismo is the equivalent of putting Sonic and Mario in the same game togeth- oh wait...bad example.

Bottom line is, NASCAR belongs far from those who enjoy turning left AND right.
The sad thing is you'll probably never realize it's harder to drive a Nascar on an oval than it will be to drive many of the sports cars in GT, so there's a lot more glory for the one who can win.

If you guys did any small amount of research, you'd see Nascar is a strategy game. The cars are not the same, the tracks are not the same, the skill required is immensely high for a team to win.

Reventón;3272490
First off, you anti-Nascar guys are a riot. I'm amazed we haven't had the, "NASCAR takes no skill" line yet.

Actually, anyone would be scared to drive a NASCAR to the same pace professionals do. 180Mph on an oval is one of the most difficult things to master.

It's boring to us because we aren't on the course. Driving on a oval is actually a pretty cool experience for those who've had a chance.

That's your opinion, though. Others will think differently.

BTW, why would it be a waste? We had the NASCAR layout of 1 track in GT4.

Except for the one in GT2. So, technically, at least Nascar has been legally in the game more than Porsche.

We had one in GT4....

And I don't think a lot of people in the US watch the SuperGT or FIA GT, so why should we have 20 SuperGT cars?

Your point is moot.

The sad thing is you'll probably never realize it's harder to drive a Nascar on an oval than it will be to drive many of the sports cars in GT, so there's a lot more glory for the one who can win.

If you guys did any small amount of research, you'd see Nascar is a strategy game. The cars are not the same, the tracks are not the same, the skill required is immensely high for a team to win.

But were talking about GT here not real life so its very boring driving around a oval.

GT doesnt sell very well in the US so why would PD put Nascar in a few people compared to the amount of people who watch JGTC or WTCC.

And I fail to see your point about the Dakar, just because Americans are in something doesn't mean it's going to get picked up here. It's not popular therefore a station isn't going to pick it up.

Nascar is shown in the UK but at 3am - 5am so its highly unpopular.

- adding a stockcar will replace something else

- its not popular

- more oval w/ infeilds will be a waste of time

- people wont buy GT5

- goes against GT tradition

- nascar isnt international

What a joke of an argument :dunce::dunce:

Latest Posts

Back