NBA: 2013-2014 Season - DONE Spurs Win

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,927 comments
All of the NBA should now know the best way to defend KD is to put a small man on him. He has no problem making shots off any big men that guard him, even with their hands just inches away from affecting the shot, but put someone noticeably smaller & it's like he has no idea how to take the shot besides over him. I actually give Westbrook some props since he's starting to actually play like a point guard, only taking the game into his hands when he needs to, and he did just that; almost MVP-caliber because that last shot showed out of OKC's 2 players, he has the guts to shoot under pressure. He called aggressively for the ball and had a good look from the 3. KD on the other hand, didn't even make an attempt to call for that last shot and he was in his sweet spot at the right wing behind the 3-point line. He's hit game winners from there numerous times, yet Chris Paul apparently got into his head. That KD rip-through BS has also gotta go. It's as bad as Hack-A-Shaq because it's considered a "smart" foul. You can't defend it either, without stepping back to give the shot or trying to flop off it.

Glad the Clippers won. OKC still hasn't learned their lesson since 2011 to stop playing soft into the 3rd QTR against teams that can make comebacks. Clippers have made it a routine this past season. Poor coaching by Brooks to continue playing ISO and not trusting in people like Reggie Jackson. Lastly, to add to Brooks' crappy decisions, stop running Durant to that right wing 3-point line and having Russell pass him the ball from the left side. Jesus, that move cost them 2 turnovers because they started putting defensive pressure on Durant.

End on this; Jordan doing what he does best. Posterizing others.

Kevin Durant forgets to post up on anyone. It's ridiculous. He's 6'9" with a 7'4" wingspan. He's a lot like Dirk used to be early on, in that he eventually needs to learn how to step up his post play & not settle as a perimeter player.

It would also help that he doesn't need to use strength (something he probably lacks) and use a very crafty way to post up, like Dirk. KD already has the fadeaway down.

Kevin Durant forgets to post up on anyone. It's ridiculous. He's 6'9" with a 7'4" wingspan. He's a lot like Dirk used to be early on, in that he eventually needs to learn how to step up his post play & not settle as a perimeter player.

Here's the thing: he's so good that he doesn't need to. He can though. Look at what happened to Lebron when Dirk and the Mavs pooed on the Heat. It made Lebron learn to work in the post.

The fact that Westbrook is so good kind of goes against the argument to post up too. If KD posted up all game, what would Russ be doing? I think they can get better looks slashing and dishing to one another when they're open for spot-up shots.

Also: this kid needs to come to the Heat. http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/v...llest-high-school-basketball-player.wtsp.html

They already run the entire offense slashing & dishing to each other, that's why they're the only main scorers for the team. He doesn't have to post up every time, but he's had so many looks where it would better if he did. Seriously, he can't post up against Chris Paul or Tony Allen at his height? That's ridiculous for a player so held so high.

One of the most rigged endings in a NBA game ever. Even OKC fans are comparing the last 2 possessions to the Lakers-Kings series. Jackson was fouled by Barnes, but they didn't call it. That doesn't excuse that he threw that ball out of bounds. And the foul on Paul by Jackson? What a disgrace.

One of the most rigged endings in a NBA game ever. Even OKC fans are comparing the last 2 possessions to the Lakers-Kings series. Jackson was fouled by Barnes, but they didn't call it. That doesn't excuse that he threw that ball out of bounds. And the foul on Paul by Jackson? What a disgrace.

Completely robbed. CP3 should not have fouled (ticky tack foul regardless) but my God it should have never gotten to that point.

The Clips didn't get robbed, they threw the game away.

If CP3 doesn't turn it over, the Clips win.

Except the ball didn't go off the hand Reggie was holding the ball in. Barnes hits his left, Reggie's arms go back, ball goes off his right. It was a make up call for not calling the foul, and that needs to stop. What about the rest of the game? My favorite was changing the clear path rule. :lol:

OKC better enjoy the love. Pop & the Spurs play a smarter type of ball than OKC, and they don't have Harden anymore to bail them out. These calls won't be made unless there is clear favoritism against SA.

Doc Rivers had a point: refs didn't know what to do. Jackson fouled, but since they didn't call it they can only go to review out of bounds: they can use replays, but didn't for whatever stupid reason.

Anyways.. If you need amusement.. Stan Van Gundy is now the pistons coach.

Except the ball didn't go off the hand Reggie was holding the ball in. Barnes hits his left, Reggie's arms go back, ball goes off his right. It was a make up call for not calling the foul, and that needs to stop. What about the rest of the game? My favorite was changing the clear path rule. :lol:

OKC better enjoy the love. Pop & the Spurs play a smarter type of ball than OKC, and they don't have Harden anymore to bail them out. These calls won't be made unless there is clear favoritism against SA.

Yeah it did. He was holding it in both hands on the gather, then the ball was knocked away by Barnes. Look at the overhead replay and it's pretty clear.

The game is on Chris Paul. He screwed up 3 times in a row.

Anyway, how about that Lebron James? I think it's ridiculous that KD was the MVP. Come on, man. If you took Lebron and KD off their teams, the Thunder would still be good enough for a deep playoff run. Miami? Probably wouldn't make it past round 1, if they'd even make it there. I'm convinced that Lebron James is the best athlete at his sport today. If he keeps going like this, I would not hesitate to place him above MJ as the best ever. He has certainly reached the round table with other knights like Magic, Byrd, and Tony Kukoc.

The Clippers had no business losing last night's game, just like the Thunder had no business losing Game 4. Regardless of the referee's call, the Clippers threw the game away. The Clippers were up by 13 with four minutes left in the game. There was a stretch of four or five possessions in a row of awful offense by the Clippers. A Chris Paul led offense should not be standing around, burning clock, and chucking terrible shots near the end of the shot clock. Maybe they should have executed actual offense, instead of burning clock.

Further, Chris Paul made at least two mistakes towards the end of the game. His first turnover should not have happened. I do not know if he was looking to chuck up a shot in hope of three foul shots or looking to get out of the way to try and burn more clock. Either way, all he has to do is protect the ball and a foul would have been coming. Instead, Westbrook was able to get in there and poke the ball away. Westbrook is fantastic in situations where he has to turn up the defensive intensity. The next mistake was putting himself in a position at even having a chance to foul Westbrook on a three point attempt. He should have been in the area, but not in a spot where a foul was even possible. Westbrook is a bad three point shooter. That is a shot you want him to take. If he makes it, then he makes it. There was still plenty of time on the clock for another possession.

Russell Westbrook killed it last night. He put the rest of the Thunder on his shoulders and carried them to a win. He refused to left the Thunder not at least make it a game.

Anyway, how about that Lebron James? I think it's ridiculous that KD was the MVP. Come on, man. If you took Lebron and KD off their teams, the Thunder would still be good enough for a deep playoff run. Miami? Probably wouldn't make it past round 1, if they'd even make it there. I'm convinced that Lebron James is the best athlete at his sport today. If he keeps going like this, I would not hesitate to place him above MJ as the best ever. He has certainly reached the round table with other knights like Magic, Byrd, and Tony Kukoc.

I disagree that it is ridiculous that KD was the MVP. LeBron is still the better player overall and the best player in the game at the moment, but the MVP award does not necessarily go to the best overall player. The MVP award is for regular season performance. Durant was better this year during the regular season. He killed it for the stretch of the season without Westbrook.

The Thunder without Durant would be 1st round fodder. He puts up half the team's points for nearly every single game and you think the team would be the same caliber without him? They probably wouldn't even make the 7th or 8th seed.

Miami on the other hand still had Wade. Still has Bosh. Still has Allen. Still has plenty of role players who step up in the Playoffs. They would still be leagues above the Thunder without the respective superstars.

Yeah it did. He was holding it in both hands on the gather, then the ball was knocked away by Barnes. Look at the overhead replay and it's pretty clear.

I'm sorry, but you can't put Lebron above Jordan, who never left his team to win a championship, who never lost an NBA finals, who denied Hakeem Olajuwon, Kenny Smith, Karl Malone, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson and others championships, who dropped 63 points, which is still the record for points scored in the playoffs, and it came against the 85-86 Celtics, one of the greatest teams ever. Or his 86-87 season average of 37.1 points per game and the only player besides Wilt to score over 3000 points in a single season. And I laugh at people who said the 80s NBA was not as good today. Please, you had to be hit in the face literally to even get a shooting foul. Today you sneeze on Wade and it's a flagrant.

Jordan sits on five MVPs, which Lebron may match or surpass, but more importantly, six Finals MVPs. But he helped make the biggest stat of all: a ring made by the NBA itself that said 72-10 greatest team ever. Sorry Miami.

Lebron is the best at the sport today no doubt. But while he's King, Jordan is the Emperor.:P

Or like Bird said: "It's just god disguised as Michael Jordan".:D Still, Lebron has years left in his career and in his prime, and may perhaps have a longer career than Jordan, so the jury is still out if Lebron can surpass Jordan.

However I will give Lebron one thing over Jordan, and it's his behavior off the court.

Honestly though when it comes the championships itself, then Bill Russell gets that glory.

Last edited:
LBJ and KD are 1A and 1B players in the league. Way above anyone else. Durant deserved the trophy this year for the sheer fact that he absolutely carried OKC in much tougher conference without Westbrook for long period of time and without any offensive strategy from his head coach Scott Brooks (just imagine this Thunder team with a legit head coach, scary!!).

Yesterday's crew of officials should be banned until the end of the playoffs. 36-20 free throw discrepancy , phantom moving screen on Jordan, whole replay review debacle (officiating crew had worse replay angles then TV viewers??!!), if you call a foul on RW three point attempt you have to call a reach on Paul's drive to the basket in last second.

Overall, shame that NBA doesn't have better referees or better system to help those guys make correct calls (maybe video official upstairs).

Last but not least, man from my hood finally showed up yesterday, representing LDZ to the fullest!!

547ZNUJ.jpg

Lmao @ Gortato.

I forgot that Westbrook was out for so long. The thing with Durant is that he's a machine. He's absolutely fantastic.

Lebron, however, is the whole team. He literally is the gameplan, the facilitator. When he's on the floor the whole team changes. It's like a megazord and Lebron is the head.

Lmao @ Gortato.

I forgot that Westbrook was out for so long. The thing with Durant is that he's a machine. He's absolutely fantastic.

Lebron, however, is the whole team. He literally is the gameplan, the facilitator. When he's on the floor the whole team changes. It's like a megazord and Lebron is the head.

Lebron is indeed the whole team, that's why the Mavs took the 2011 Finals from him because of the effective Zone defense they played on him. If you can find a way to stop or even limit Lebron, then you just made your chances of beating him and his team better.

You can't even compare 2011 Lebron with today's Lebron. That's why I say if he keeps going like this he could be the greatest.

2011 vs. the Mavs was an Iso circus. All they had to do was double Lebron or zone up on him. He had no post game back then. Today if you double Lebron he'll find the open man on the floor no matter where he is. If you don't double him, he'll post up on you and eat your lunch. If you play off coverage, he'll kill you with the three or drive the lane for an easy and1. He is the whole game.

Lmao @ Gortato.

You got that backwards, although not for the better regarding OKC.

The Thunder a playoff team without KD? Who are they gonna a rely on Perkins? Ibaka? Patrick Adams? With Scotty Brooks? Lol. At least the Heat still have Ray Allen, Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade. KD carries that team and up until recently Westbrook wasn't doing much. They have zero bench to speak of. Derek Fisher is on their squad...

Yeah I guess so. To be honest I only watch the heat games so I'm biased. But LeBron is amazing.

It is being said that Steve Kerr will be the new coach of the Golden State Warriors. I read this on the bottom line of NBA TV. Get to know your new coach, Golden State nation.

I think Kerr picked the right choice, honestly. Good squad, works well together, and most of his family is there. I believe one analyst said of the Knicks that the issue isn't the coach, it's player chemistry; Amare, Melo, & JR Smith rely too heavily on themselves. Any coach will have a hard time working with those guys being on the floor together. The only issue I see Kerr running into is being held to an incredibly high standard after 1 year with the team.

I think Kerr picked the right choice, honestly. Good squad, works well together, and most of his family is there. I believe one analyst said of the Knicks that the issue isn't the coach, it's player chemistry; Amare, Melo, & JR Smith rely too heavily on themselves. Any coach will have a hard time working with those guys being on the floor together. The only issue I see Kerr running into is being held to an incredibly high standard after 1 year with the team.
I agree he made the right decision. But as a Knicks fan, I'm a little bummed out but I knew once the GS job came open that he would take that job and I can't say that I blame him. Close to his family and they are giving him 25 mil. Not bad for a rookie coach with no coaching exp. He may be under more pressure to produce in GS but that is waaay better than the Knicks. Better team, more stability in the organization no James Dolan, no James Dolan and if I didn't say it before no James Dolan.

Back