NBA: 2018-2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 272 comments
Oh, @McLaren , I was expecting the Rockets to get smacked up in Oakland. I was pleased at the Rockets' resolve to try to not lose focus and get this comeback going. And you're absolutely right I'm proud of my boys. We'll take the win. Had to earn this one for sure in a Playoff-intense game. About that Harden guy... he did good- 44 points, 15 assists, and 10 rebounds. I won't be fully happy with him unless he can deliver a championship. He can certainly do it. But it's a case of "if not now, then when?"

Congratulations to all other winners from Thursday night also.

The Houston Rockets shipped off Michael Carter-Williams to the Chicago Bulls yesterday in exchange for cash and a heavily-guarded 2nd Round Draft pick. So we let go of Carmelo Anthony and MCW this season, and I think the trade deadline is still a full month away. Chicago is currently 10-30 on the season and 4th in the Central Division of the Eastern Conference. Houston is now 23-16 and leading the Southwest Division of the Western Conference (defeated Denver 125-113 in Houston last night).

According to Yahoo! Sports, here is how the Houston Rockets rank in a number of categories at present: 23rd in Field Goal percentage (44.9%), 14th in 3-point field goal percentage (35.3%), 14th in points scored (111), and 26th in total rebounds (42 RPG).

As for the Chicago Bulls... they are 25th in field goal percentage (44.5%), 19th in 3-point goal percentage (34.6%), 30th in points scored (100), and 27th in total rebounds (41.5).

Go enjoy some NBA basketball tonight. Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Did any of you see Thunder at Spurs last night? That game was crazy! The San Antonio Spurs ended up defeating the Oklahoma City Thunder 154-147 in Double Overtime. At one point, the Spurs were knocking down threes like they were Houston or Golden State. OKC made life a bit miserable for the black and silver boys once the Thunder got it together. It was a crazy night of action in south central Texas last night!

In the other NBA on TNT game from last night, the Miami Heat won at home 115-99 against the visiting Boston Celtics. I am getting a bit used to the '80s style Miami Heat with the bright blue and pink colors.

There are nine games slated for tonight in the NBA. My 23-17 Houston Rockets will try to bounce back against 8-34 Cleveland after losing to the Milwaukee Bucks this past Wednesday. Enjoy this weekend's games!

Clint Capela is out 4-6 weeks with a thumb injury. Granted James Harden is still the man for Houston, this is a big blow for the Rockets with Capela on the shelf. We host the Memphis Grizzlies on the back end of our back-to-back after failing at the Orlando Magic last night.

Whatever NBA action you're into tonight, enjoy tonight's games.

RECENTLY WRAPPED UP... after losing at Orlando last night, the Houston Rockets defeated the Memphis Grizzlies in Houston 112-94. James Harden hangs 57 points on the Grizz in a wicked performance. This guy is out of his doggone mind! It wasn't a triple-double, but it was surely an amazing performance.

If you don't have any special plans tonight, why not watch a little NBA basketball? Ten games are on tonight, but tonight is the season debut of Saturday Night basketball on ABC as the Los Angeles Lakers pay a visit to my Houston Rockets. No LeBron James on the LAL side. Likewise, no Clint Capela on the Rockets' side. The Lakers DO have Kuzma, and that dude is good. Both teams are at the silver mark for wins- both with 25 wins each (LAL = 25-21, HOU = 25-19).

Enjoy your NBA basketball today and tonight! As of this post, I'm sure the game between Oklahoma City at Philadelphia is underway.

Trailing just about all game long and treading mud, the Houston Rockets finally got their act together to force Overtime. Eric Gordon hit a clutch three-pointer to force Overtime. Afterwards, it was a 138-134 victory for the Houston Rockets here in Houston. We were down by 21 at the half. James Harden put in 48 points while Eric Gordon dropped 30 on the Lakers. Any way, we'll take the win from last night.

THIS JUST IN...

The Houston Rockets shipped off Carmelo Anthony to the Chicago Bulls. I didn't know we still had the guy. So 'Melo is officially gone from the Rockets now.

My Houston Rockets are at the Philadelphia 76ers later tonight. Hope your team(s) is/are doing well.

On this day in 2006...

Kobe Bryant hung 81 points on the Toronto Raptors. The Los Angeles Lakers were at the Toronto Raptors when Kobe put on that beast performance. If today's Lakers and Raptors met, Toronto would probably mop the floor with the Lakers.

Hope you enjoy some Tuesday NBA action. My Rockets got pimp slapped in Philadelphia last night, now probably still soul searching when they play their next game at the New York Knicks tomorrow night.

Realistically, I can still see the Toronto Raptors being the Eastern Conference representative in the NBA Finals. That is unless the NBA Finals go from WCF winner vs. ECF winner to two West or two East teams. I'm guessing in the East, you have the likes of Milwaukee, Boston, Indiana and Philadelphia among others to try to contend with. Toronto got plenty of talent. Whether or not it will be enough to go for the O'Brien Trophy remains to be seen.

As for my Rockets, we still are trying to make as much out of this season as possible after a sluggish start. We are 5th in the Western Playoff race at 26-20, still atop the Southwest Division over San Antonio. At least I know this much- the Rockets are going to have a tough time running away with either the Division lead or in trying to climb up the Western Conference rankings as much as possible. The West got tougher, and the Rockets will need to adjust and adapt. Say he's trash all you want, but James Harden is really doing work. Dude's out of his mind right now the way he's playing. During the TNT broadcast of HOU at PHI, I think I heard a stat saying that James Harden has racked up over 200 points in the span of three games! Can you imagine that? Too bad the Rockets lost 121-93 back on Monday, but I'm glad this team is really starting to get its act together.

My Houston Rockets will be at the 10-35 New York Knicks tonight. This isn't a rematch of the 1993-1994 NBA Finals, but it is a chance for the Rockets to bounce back after getting throttled in Philly. Good luck to your favorite teams also.

So about that James Harden guy... he put up a franchise record 61 points in a game for the Houston Rockets last night, and he tied Kobe Bryant for most points scored against the Knicks by an opposing player. The Rockets probably should have lost with their poor scoring in the first half. P.J. Tucker had a late monkeyshine that resulted in the Knicks bringing the game closer and closer thanks to an easy layup. Rockets should have lost, but as they wised up and started connecting shots, all sins forgiven with the Rockets winning 114-110. The Knicks are stuck on 10 wins.

Meanwhile, Victor Oladipo will need season-ending surgery for his knee injury. I wish Oladipo the best in his recovery.

Tonight...

* NO Pelicans at OKC Thunder
* GS Warriors at WAS Wizards (NBA on TNT)
* POR Trail Blazers at PHX Suns
* MIN Timberwolves at LAL Lakers (NBA on TNT)

Have a great Thursday night!

Yesterday was the 70th birthday of San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich. So happy [belated] birthday, Pops! Even though I am a Rockets fan, I immensely respect what all the Spurs have accomplished as a franchise and with solid players.

In the previous hour, the NBA fined Anthony Davis $50K USD for his public trade request. Yep- the current Pelican's bank account is now $50K light for his trade discussion. The New Orleans Pelicans play the Houston Rockets tonight here in Houston.

RECENTLY REPORTED...

The New York Knicks and Dallas Mavericks are in trade. Kristaps Porzingis of the Knicks reportedly will be traded to Dallas. For the full details, here is an article on Yahoo! Sports about the trade:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-mavericks-trade-knicks-kristaps-porzingis-204853684.html

NYK is currently 10-40 on the season, last in the Atlantic Division of the Eastern Conference, and 15th (dead last) overall in the East. DAL is 23-27 on the season, 3rd in the Southwest Division of the Western Conference, and 12th overall in the Western Conference. So maybe this trade will work well for both teams involved.

Tonight's schedule is as follows:

* DAL Mavericks at DET Pistons
* IND Pacers at ORL Magic
* MIL Bucks at TOR Raptors (NBA on TNT)
* BKN Nets at SA Spurs
* PHI 76ers at GS Warriors (NBA on TNT)
* LAL Lakers at LAL Clippers

Go enjoy some NBA hoops tonight should you be watching!

If Kristaps can get back to himself before the ACL injury, he & Luka will destroy on the Pick n' Roll. Dallas got a great deal out of this dumping 2 expiring contracts & a protected 1st round pick. The other pick is a 1st round unprotected sadly, but losing DSJ will be the big downside. They just started playing them both together for half the game, with 1 of them always on the court; both had a triple-double in consecutive games. But, the potential of Kristaps will outweigh that, as Luka tends to run the offense and Brunson can fill in as the PG for Smith Jr. Brunson filled in for DSJ when he was out and did very well as he can play off-ball.

DeAndre was likely never going to stay and losing Wes in exchange for Hardaway Jr. is a huge bonus. Courtney Lee will probably be bought out or just played til' the end of the season.

Knicks will have to get 2 big name players for this trade to pay off in their favor.

The NBA All-Star Game is this month. Before we tip off tonight's games, let's look at the standings as they are:

--- EASTERN CONFERENCE ---
ATLANTIC: Toronto (37-16), PHI (34-18), BOS (32-19), BKN (28-25), NY (10-40)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (37-13), IND (32-19), DET (22-28), CHI (12-40), CLE (11-41)
SOUTHEAST: Miami (24-25), CHA (24-26), WAS (22-29), ORL (21-31), ATL (16-34)

CURRENT EAST STANDINGS (TOP 8): Milwaukee, TOR, PHI, IND, BOS, BKN, MIA, CHA

--- WESTERN CONFERENCE ---
PACIFIC: Golden State (36-15), LAC (28-24), LAL (27-25), SAC (26-25), PHX (11-42)
SOUTHWEST: San Antonio (31-22), HOU (29-21), DAL (23-28), NO (23-29), MEM (20-32)
NORTHWEST: Denver (35-15), OKC (32-18), POR (32-20), UTA (29-33), MIN (25-26)

CURRENT WEST STANDINGS (TOP 8): Golden State, DEN, OKC, POR, SA, HOU, UTA, LAC

There is still a lot of season left, so don't feel bad if your favorite team is not currently in a Playoff position. I was surprised to learn that every team in the Southeast Division have losing records. The Toronto Raptors have the best record, and the New York Knicks have the worst record.

Have a great February! Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

[UPDATE] Another goof- I meant Toronto has the best record. Remember- I'm human!

Last edited:
Reading since the trade the Knicks could draft Zion to lure their 2 whomever-they-are big free agents. Looking at those standings though, looks like Phoenix, Chicago, or Cleveland could all have worse records and snatch him.

John Wall hit the wall hard. He's out for this season and maybe half of next season after rupturing his Achilles earlier today. This pretty much dooms the Washington Wizards. I wish Wall well in his recovery.

Later today is the end of the NBA trade deadline. Teams are still shipping off players. The deadline is at about 3:00 PM Eastern time. Among other trades, the Houston Rockets landed Iman Shumpert in a HOU-SAC-CLE trade.

If on this Thursday night you crave some NBA action, here is what this Thursday will provide for you:

* LAC Clippers at IND Pacers
* MIN Timberwolves at ORL Magic
* TOR Raptors at ATL Hawks
* LAL Lakers at BOS Celtics (NBA on TNT)
* MEM Grizzlies at OKC Thunder
* SA Spurs at POR Trail Blazers (NBA on TNT)

Can you believe Valentine's Day is next Thursday? Anyhow, go enjoy these games if you'll be watching and following.

The Phoenix Suns have lost 14 straight games, and the New York Knicks have lost 17 straight games. Assuming both continue their losing streaks, the Suns and Knicks will meet on March 6 in Phoenix. Sad seasons for both of these teams.

When the NBA gets back underway this Thursday, here is what all the teams will be looking at record-wise...

ATLANTIC: Toronto (43-16), BOS and PHI (37-21 each), BKN (30-29), NY (11-47)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (43-14), IND (38-20), DET (26-30), CHI (14-44), CLE (12-46)
SOUTHEAST: Charlotte (27-30), MIA (26-30), ORL (27-32), WAS (24-34), ATL (19-39)

CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS: MIL, TOR, IND, BOS, PHI, BKN, CHA, DET

PACIFIC: Golden State (41-16), LAC (32-27), SAC (30-27), LAL (28-29), PHX (11-48)
SOUTHWEST: Houston (33-24), SA (33-26), DAL 26-31), NO (26-33), MEM (23-36)
NORTHWEST: Denver (39-18), OKC (37-20), POR (34-23), UTA (32-25), MIN (27-30)

CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS: GS, DEN, OKC, POR, HOU, UTA, SA, LAC

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS... ---

LONGEST CURRENT WINNING STREAK: Toronto (6 straight wins)
LONGEST CURRENT LOSING STREAK: Phoenix (15 straight losses)

The NBA goes back to work this Thursday night. Every game from here on out is towards playing in the NBA Playoffs and eventually to hoist the O'Brien Trophy at the end of the NBA Finals. Keep playing hard to make the Playoffs!

Good luck to all of your favorite teams moving forward. If I screwed anything up, I'll update this post.

The Houston Rockets defeated the Atlanta Hawks 118-111, but the real story was that James Harden's streak of games with 30+ points scored ended at 32. Even Harden was humble in basically saying that the streak was a cool touch, but trying to win games (and possible championships) is more important. I didn't think he was going to pass Wilt Chamberlain's 60-something streak of 30+ point games anyways, but James Harden did have himself quite the epic streak of these 30+ point games. Go ahead and say he's trash, but James Harden is quite the player. Now if only he can lead his team to a Championship...

The calendar has now shifted to March. Playoff chatter intensifies with this new month of action. Where are your favorite teams so far? This Standings Update will tell all:

(Before I begin, I apologize for any missed or incorrect data. Remember- I am human, and is therefore prone to mistakes)

ATLANTIC: Toronto (45-17), PHI (40-22), BOS (37-25), BKN (32-31), NY (13-49)
CENTRAL: Milwaukee (47-14), IND (41-22), DET (29-31), CHI (17-45), CLE (15-47)
SOUTHEAST: Orlando (23-34), CHA (28-33), MIA (27-34), WAS (25-36), ATL (21-41)

CURRENT EAST PLAYOFFS: MIL, TOR, IND, PHI, BOS, BKN, DET, ORL

PACIFIC: Golden State (43-19), LAC (34-29), SAC (31-30), LAL (30-31), PHX (12-50)
SOUTHWEST: Houston (37-25), SA (34-29), DAL (27-34), NO (27-36), MEM (24-39)
NORTHWEST: Denver (42-19), OKC and POR (38-23 each), UTA (35-26), MIN (29-33)

CURRENT WEST PLAYOFFS: GS, DEN, OKC, POR, HOU, UTA, SA, LAC

Nobody has clinched anything as of yet. That may all change as this month goes along. So make sure your team(s) keep playing hard to have a chance at a Championship come playoff time! Or if your team is basically out of it, just play to improve your draft or lottery status.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Will LBJ and the Lakers still make it to the playoffs this postseason? After watching them lose to Phoenix, I'm wondering about this one while biting through my nails.

I doubt they will even come close. This team is probably even worse than the one he had to carry to the playoffs last year, constructed in a way that doesn't benefit LeBron's strengths and against tougher teams. If Lonzo came back, like, tomorrow, I'd see it as a possibility.

So you don't have any special plans for this Thursday night? The NBA would like to change that for you, because these games are slated for tonight:

* IND Pacers at MIL Bucks (NBA on TNT)
* OKC Thunder at POR Trail Blazers (NBA on TNT)

Both of tonight's games are part of the NBA on TNT. Be sure to check into that channel to see some NBA action tonight.

While the Los Angeles Lakers may be in disarray, LeBron James recently surpassed Michael Jordan in the all-time points scored list. For more on his milestone, check out this article: https://sports.yahoo.com/sports-wor...ordan-on-all-time-scoring-list-055807168.html .

The first team that is "IN!" is the Milwaukee Bucks. The Bucks clinched a Playoff spot. So this will be one of many teams to have done great enough to have a chance at becoming NBA Champions for the 2018-2019 season. No other team so far has clinched a playoff spot other than Milwaukee. Also, nobody has clinched a Division or Home Advantage as of this post.

Anyhow, enjoy this Thursday night of basketball should you be watching or following.

Did any of you hear of the news story involving an unruly Utah Jazz fan this past Monday night? This fan heckled Russell Westbrook as the Jazz hosted the Oklahoma City Thunder this past Monday night. That unruly fan was later banned for life from Utah Jazz games. Westbrook said threatening things himself towards this fan, and he got disciplined by the NBA. For more on this story, check out this Yahoo! Sports article: https://sports.yahoo.com/russell-we...esults-in-lifetime-ban-lawsuit-211008472.html

This was incredibly classless.

Back