Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
I don't think it is a mistake considering the end of the intro contains a similar car-lift.

Didn't see the intro. I find myself skipping those more and more these days. But yes, then it goes back to my question... "how can SMS allow this to happen?". DId they have too little beta testing? Did they beta test on a specific demographic (as in clean racers) without considering people with bad online manners? :sly:

Either way, SMS let it happen and beta tested on the wrong crowd. :scared: Like 5 year olds who play racing games just to crash out or bump other cars.

So they should've left car lift out. I don't think they meant it to be used for overtaking, but more as a representation on what can happen. The intro does show a beleivable condition for lift, and it does happen IRL, but probably not on that track. So it's still a fun vs realistic dynamic. Do we incorporate lift off no matter how imperfect our calculations can be? or do we anchor cars to the ground so as not to ruin the overall experience?

Last edited:
I want to know who thought it would be a good idea to put a 30 lap Figure-8 race in the game. It was fun, but isn't this game supposed to be fairly realistic?

I want to know who thought it would be a good idea to put a 30 lap Figure-8 race in the game. It was fun, but isn't this game supposed to be fairly realistic?

It was a bit of needed humor I thought lol. On the picture it just looked like it a small oval and I was dreading doing it but turns out it was really fun.:dopey:

Anybody gotten the star for spinning out 4 opponents at willow springs (Tier 2 american event).

I can't do it! The few times I do spin them out I get tap out and every other time the Ai somehow keeps the car on track.

Any advice would be great.

Just past my first weekend of NFSS. Here's my first impressions:

The game is very good. Extremely addictive. Tiers competitions are sometimes, at first glance, ridiculous (what is asked for you to do: like car battles), but once you're there you'll quite enjoy it and it's very competitive!

Nontheless, this game isn't all "hails and praises". There are some quite annoying issues on it which - hopefully! - EA and SMS would fix in a (very) near future:

AI, on Hard, is similar like running on a destruction derby event! Hell, I've even seen cars in front of braking in straights so you'd be crashing on their back! Ridiculous! Turning the AI do medium 'softness' this issue a little bit but still you'll get some very unrealistic behaviours from AI drivers.

The bouncing issue. Is true and really, really frustrating... Up to know I am a 17 level driver and just went to Tier 3. I've only bought myself yet 3 cars (Nissan 2000 GT-R, Lotus Elise 111R and Porsche Cayman S). The Nissan and the Lotus are stock, and I've only have worked out the Cayman. First impressions: Every upgrade you'll do besides bodykit 2, exhaust racing, suspension 2, drive train 2 and brake 2 would make you car bouncing. I've put everythin on once at the Cayman (except Nos and Overboost 2) and instead of a (almost) FIA GT3 race car I ended up with a tuning maniac ping pong ball. If one ask me how is my lap time at Spa, I'd reply: "4 jumps and 17 bounces".

Frame rates. Frame rate isn't smooth, continous. I experience some perceptible drops which is a low in this game.

To end a personal complaint: I miss some more classic cars in this game. It's overwhelming doing Nurburgring on-and-on-and-on on the Nissan 2000 GT-R (stock). NFSS should have more 60's and 70's cars.

Anybody gotten the star for spinning out 4 opponents at willow springs (Tier 2 american event).

I can't do it! The few times I do spin them out I get tap out and every other time the Ai somehow keeps the car on track.

Any advice would be great.

Thats one of the most idiotic targets i have ever seen an racing game like this. Havent tried the later tier 2 events yet.

Try raising the ride height and softening the spring to stop the bouncing.

You can also add some bump stop too.

I'm on tier 5 now still with my stage 2 Cayman... it's almost impossible tho, since the other cars keep trashing around me. I noticed it only gets bouncy once you fight with other cars or go too much over the curbs. On time attack the Cayman is on rails lol
Will try NFSlive (tier5?) with the Exige I guess XD. I really like SHIFT more and more, just the online is lacking options big time! : (

Alright figured I would just ask this here. I am doing the 1st tier time trials and on the rustle canyon one it says "own 75% of the racing line" what do I have to do to get this star?

Alright figured I would just ask this here. I am doing the 1st tier time trials and on the rustle canyon one it says "own 75% of the racing line" what do I have to do to get this star?

Stay on the racing line (that green-yellow-and-red arrows thing) the 75% of a lap. Doesn't matter what speed, just stay on the line.

You might have to stay on it that entire time, too. The little point counter probably is measuring by percentage, but I'm not sure. I got that star without trying...

I got it after I turned the suggested line on. I hate that it forces you to use it for certain things(like getting the cornering badges).

Yeah, there is practically no way to "Master" certain corners without using the racing line. Kind of nutty.

I got it after I turned the suggested line on. I hate that it forces you to use it for certain things(like getting the cornering badges).

Yeah, there is practically no way to "Master" certain corners without using the racing line. Kind of nutty.

I think in these 2 cases it's a bit unfair to say that, I got most corners mastered and the 75% thing on first try, with racing line off ... I haven't even tried with racing line on yet.

Just raced two races. Took me and hour. I'm sick of this game's glitches and bugs. I'm not so sure if I want to beat it anymore. I got a headache running Autopolis GP in the Tier 4 Works competition. Half the track the screen lagged. Everything was in slow motion. I'm disgusted with this game now. The race I did before was the Mclaren at Silverstone. Horrible. I couldn't get passed turn 1 without the AI's taking me out. Then when I finally do get out in the lead, the bouncing bug comes and hurls me off the road. Worst 60 bucks spent in my life. Unless EA does something about it, this will collect dust when GT5 arrives. I'm even considering going back to GT5:P.

Anyone else hate the driver battles? I can't seem to beat any of them, I either spin out trying to get past the other driver or the rubberband AI is so bad that I can't ever get 5 seconds out ahead. Sort of annoying.

Anyone else hate the driver battles? I can't seem to beat any of them, I either spin out trying to get past the other driver or the rubberband AI is so bad that I can't ever get 5 seconds out ahead. Sort of annoying.

I turned the difficulty down to medium which makes the AI's pace more realistic for what car they're in, but duels are still just as hard and impossible.:odd:

I have the AI set at easy at all times and I'm still having issues, it's like the game doesn't want you to win that. Maybe I'll just over power the car I'm using.

Playing on hard AI...

I don't have any issues with the AI when I start on pole... just stick to the racing line and win everytime.

When starting 2nd, if you don't have a quicker car it get's more difficult... the Silverstone race with the guy in the S2K was a bit tricky as he gets an unbelievable launch and then goes flat out through corners I had to brake for. In the end I couldn't beat him when he started 1st, but on the 3rd round I managed to get a perfect launch and slightly nudge him in to turn 1 ;) (which I got points for!).

So far I've beaten them all up to and including Tier 4.

EDIT:

Some of the elimination races are really difficult on hard... even the ones where the AI is less suicidal in to turn 1!

Last edited:
I personally love the difficult A.I. I mean I always used to complain cause of the stupid AI but now, well they give me a challenge and I play on hard. No complaints so far but yes, the game has lots and lots of glitches.

hard AI was very easy in tier 1. I suppose it get harder later on :)

btw is there really really no way to test drive cars in this game prior to purchase? Except for invitational events?

I have decided to concentrate on running Hot Laps solo, to get the feel for the cars & the tracks. Trying to avoid the homicidal AI makes it impossible to get a clear idea of what is going on with the physics. In general, once you've made your way past the pack, racing one-on-one seems feasible, but making your way unscathed from the back of the field involves a fair amount of ...
er ...

patience! :ouch:

Back