Need for speed gets "serious".....confirmed!

• Thread starter Hereward
  • 2,170 comments
hard AI was very easy in tier 1. I suppose it get harder later on :)

btw is there really really no way to test drive cars in this game prior to purchase? Except for invitational events?

you don't lose any money buying or doing up car's(eg, buy 20k car, do 5k mod's you will sell it for 25k)

I have the AI set at easy at all times and I'm still having issues, it's like the game doesn't want you to win that. Maybe I'll just over power the car I'm using.

I have the same problems. I just stopped doing all battles. No matter what I do they AI is always faster. They can take 90 degree turns at twice the speed I can, or I just get pushec of the track if I'm in their line.

LOOOOOL 👍

That's one way to get past, Schumi would be proud.

Damn. I do that about 3 times in a race if I'm racing the Works Murc. :crazy:

Death-Race-MachineGun.jpg

i read an article the other day and apparently you can stop the slidding on the cars by twikking a few things. anybody knows how to do this because the slidding is absolutely doing my head in.

go to your can tuning, then on the basic tuning where it says, oversteer/understeer, click on that and turn all the way to oversteer. Hope that helps you. Although, sometimes tuning a car with a good tune helps that particular car.

I won't be playing it at all now UNLESS they make a patch for the bouncing at least. Here's how things went down when I turned it on today:
Tried the Spa Enduro in my Works Corvette. I lost a lot of time a couple of times after bouncing my way off track. Had trouble catching the leaders in.......non-Works Murcielagos!? WTF, a Works Vette is way faster than them, and I was driving its tits off, this is on medium difficulty too. So, lap 6 or 7 out of 10 I can't remember, I tried overtaking for 2nd when the Lambo swerved into me causing me to bounce off track again and him spin out. I caught them back up again on lap 8 or so, then suddenly every lapped car we came across gave them room then purposely swerved into me.:irked: Ended up coming an infuriating 3rd.
Then tried the Lexus LF-A manufacturer race at that Willow Springs Horse Shoe Mile. Absolute unavoidable carnage at the start while the front runners streaked off. Small contact also causes un-controllable bouncing. Gave up on that race.
Tried the SL65 AMG race, more hard to avoid carnage plus a car that seemed to sound like a V6 (turbo V8 damn it), had really slow shift times (SL65 shift times are razor sharp just like in GT5:P), had real trouble slowing down, and couldn't turn unless you were flat on the throttle. I was literally understeering like crazy at 30km/hr. Gave up on that race.
Then tried the Z06 race, thinking finally a track I like in a car that handles properly. Green light comes up, oh that's right, a stock Z06 can't accelerate.:mad:
Turned. Shift. Off.

there are some races which are absolutely awesome you just wanna keep going on and on and some which makes you wanna destroy the game and shred it into bits and hope to never see or hear of it again. i they can fix the bouncing that shld make things a lot interesting.

I have to say that racing the ring in the game is VERY good :) It is still as scary in GT4 as I remembered 👍

Well, scary is subjective :dopey:

I won't be playing it at all now UNLESS they make a patch for the bouncing at least. Here's how things went down when I turned it on today:
Tried the Spa Enduro in my Works Corvette. I lost a lot of time a couple of times after bouncing my way off track. Had trouble catching the leaders in.......non-Works Murcielagos!? WTF, a Works Vette is way faster than them, and I was driving its tits off, this is on medium difficulty too. So, lap 6 or 7 out of 10 I can't remember, I tried overtaking for 2nd when the Lambo swerved into me causing me to bounce off track again and him spin out. I caught them back up again on lap 8 or so, then suddenly every lapped car we came across gave them room then purposely swerved into me.:irked: Ended up coming an infuriating 3rd.
Then tried the Lexus LF-A manufacturer race at that Willow Springs Horse Shoe Mile. Absolute unavoidable carnage at the start while the front runners streaked off. Small contact also causes un-controllable bouncing. Gave up on that race.
Tried the SL65 AMG race, more hard to avoid carnage plus a car that seemed to sound like a V6 (turbo V8 damn it), had really slow shift times (SL65 shift times are razor sharp just like in GT5:P), had real trouble slowing down, and couldn't turn unless you were flat on the throttle. I was literally understeering like crazy at 30km/hr. Gave up on that race.
Then tried the Z06 race, thinking finally a track I like in a car that handles properly. Green light comes up, oh that's right, a stock Z06 can't accelerate.:mad:
Turned. Shift. Off.

Oh yeah...i had this too. I was about to break the damn disc because of Ambush Canyon (what a piece of s... track), as it was undrivable with the Cayman. Bounce, Bounce, Bounce and then finally out in the dirt only to see you cant get out of it. The (almost) same problems i had with the BWM E36, so i switched to a easier car (some RWD cars are really hard to control). I finished the game without touching Tier4 Events and not to much in Tier3...this game needs alot of patching, even if it has some good points.

Protip: To vent your Anger, enter the Hazyview-Figure8 Enduro. It is crazy...

I have not encountered any "bouncing" issues yet. Presumably, the reason for this is because I have not tuned any of my cars yet (well, just minor tuning on a couple of them). Given that there are many tracks & many cars that can be run on those tracks in stock condition, perhaps the thing to do is avoid super-tuning any cars until SMS fixes the bouncing issue. 💡

I have to say that racing the ring in the game is VERY good It is still as scary in GT4 as I remembered

The Ring in Shift is well done, but the simplified physics make it relatively easy to run. For a real challenge try running the Ring clean in a RWD car in Enthusia - that'll give you the sweaty palms! :scared:

However, I think the "crashing effect" in Shift is very, VERY well done - the closest thing to an actual impact effect you could get ... short of someone hitting you over the head with a hammer! :ouch:

no you take a round in the egg street car version in GTR Evolution ;)... Though saying it´s easy to handle a veyron around the ring is lying surely ;)

Did you try Enthusia Oqvist? Not only are the physics very hard (possibly too hard) but there is a merciless "penalty" system.

I just did the Shift "Invitational" Veyron race last night. Won it on Hard, but there was a mess of busted up million dollar cars by the end of it! :crazy: You just can't have reasonable racing where one of the features of the game is rewarding "Aggression". Something tells me there aren't too many Veyron owners in the world who would be smashing their cars into each other on a casual basis - even "trading paint" might be frowned upon! ;)

It's silly, to lump drafting in with a dirty overtake. Drafting should be promoted within a system like that.

It's silly, to lump drafting in with a dirty overtake. Drafting should be promoted within a system like that.

That's because, technically, it's "Aggressive" not "Dirty" play that's being rewarded! The whole system makes no real sense though, unfortunately.

One interesting thing in Shift is that the drafting boost is very minimal, unlike the exaggerated effect in GT5P. You would thing that, in keeping with Shift's more arcade character, it would have exaggerated drafting, & GT5P's would be more realistic.

Last edited:
That's because, technically, it's "Aggressive" not "Dirty" play that's being rewarded! The whole system makes no real sense though, unfortunately.

One interesting thing in Shift is that the drafting boost is very minimal, unlike the exaggerated effect in GT5P. You would thing that, in keeping with Shift's more arcade character, it would have exaggerated drafting, & GT5P's would be more realistic.

Who's arcade now?!!!. Well said bud. I think the draft on this game is real as it gets, specially when u have the cockpit view, just amazing.

Word, drafting in SHIFT has the "close-to-right" pace into catching up to somebody. As for The Ring, tackling these corners is fun as hell!

Yeah, the whole reward system isn't thought out very well... however, even if a bit annoying the AI is way better I ever thought it could possibly be done in a game and I said it before (and probably 1000x again) drafting in GT is pretty realistic just like SHIFT, I see no big difference. :odd:

In my opinion and experience SHIFT does a lot of things better in other areas like braking and grip levels for example, you can actually fell the cars losing grip, then"bite" again, also if you touch the brakes, they actually brake! 👍

I get it you like hard games , I like realistic games more... :) If I brake in SHIFT, it reminds me a lot of my own car where I'm often surprised how strong those brakes really are. In GT(5p) if I brake all I get is PANIC! Now tell me whichs arcade? :sly: Just saying besides many fllaws in design, in my view SHIFT is a lot more SIM than GT ever will be.
Yet you keep calling it arcade ... each to their own,I guess.:indiff:

Last edited:
The Ring is absolutely horrible in the game, the over exaggerated effect of speed and the bouncing cars, plus most cars nearly needing to be on full throttle just to turn (requiring dedication to the corner) makes The Ring stupidly unrealistic and hard.

The Ring is absolutely horrible in the game, the over exaggerated effect of speed and the bouncing cars, plus most cars nearly needing to be on full throttle just to turn (requiring dedication to the corner) makes The Ring stupidly unrealistic and hard.

Sorry Paulie - can't agree.
Driving the 'Ring on NFS is the most fun I've had on this console.
I suggest trying the Porsche 911 GT3RS or the GT2, if you haven't already.
Also, this circuit requires an immense amount of practice, so that the corners may be anticipated instead of merely survived.
Give it some time and you will come to love the place 👍

Just to add, I don't claim to have mastered this track - far from it in fact - but that's the challenge, eh?

Last edited:
Just saying besides many fllaws in design, in my view SHIFT is a lot more SIM than GT ever will be.
Yet you keep calling it arcade ... each to their own,I guess.:indiff:

Well even devolopers from SHIFT have admitted that they simplyfied some parameters in physics engine to make it more fun and less frustrating, SHIFT is not trying to be a SIM. Its a GOOD game and the first arcade racer I have enjoyed in years, but SIM....no

Sorry Paulie - can't agree.
Driving the 'Ring on NFS is the most fun I've had on this console.
Same here. It depends on the car though, driving my Shelby bouncing ball around the Ring at high speeds gives me squeezed-buttocks-syndrome. But drive an R8 or GT3RS and it becomes a whole different story.

I still don't like the Ring, never will, not on NFS:Shift. I also had problems in Le Mans cars and F1 cars here in GT4.

The Shift ring feels pretty much identical to the one in GTR Evo. I suspect they bought the track model from Simbin :)

I've done loads of laps there in GTR Evo, and I feel right at home lapping there in Shift as a result. My only problem is that I slow down for corners where the Shift AI doesn't. :S

I've come to the conclusion that this game is great fun IF you get the right cars. Some are horribly undriveable at the moment, e.g. works 370z, and have terrible gearing, bounce around a lot etc.

I've been playing around with different cars at the ring and just kept the ones that drive nicely without bags of oversteer or any of the other problems noted for use in online races. I do think the tracks make a difference too, Spa is unfortunately very bouncy as are a couple of the willow springs tracks.

Hopefully EA will sort this soon in an update, until then I'll stick to the cars and tracks which feel right (I have given up on career mode with the clio-at-fuji-esque AI as they are too ridiculous for words).

Back