Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
Killswitch?

Killswitch sounds like an EMP on steroids. I haven't played a NFS game since Most Wanted 2012.

Couldn't find actual gameplay footage of it but all it does is immobilise the car for a couple of seconds once you get hit by it. Here is a trailer of it from Payback:

It is slightly different to the HP2010 and Rivals EMP, all those did was made the car loose control and some damage to the car health.

Hi, it's me again, jumping in with what was once an ultra-long post but I've decided to cut out the bits about anything other than the map so you won't have to scroll too far to get to the comments you want to see. You can thank me later.

The map. It's.. alright, I guess. I *think* I might see a reference I kind-of approve of, even though it'll only ever be visited by people in white Countachs and those who claim to know their pop culture references but don't actually so they show up in *that* Nissan Skyline instead. Aaaaaand I've just realised what the online lobbies are going to be like on this. Thank 🤬 for single player.

Aside from that, I spy a quarry in the top left and Mystery City 2.0 in the north. Now watch the NFS subreddit call the latter a deliberate reference. Which, knowing Ghost, it is.

The UTH is.. nothing really interesting. It doesn't, as far as I can tell, answer the question of whether or not you can actually take to the beach, which.. why would you, especially in this day and age, make a light-hearted freeroam racing game set in fake-Miami and not let people drive on the beach? It's like setting a game in Los Angeles and not letting people drive on th- hold on, what you say? They already did that? Because that's when they thought the best thing about NFS games was how "edgy" and "serious" they were? And they still think that's part of it? Oh boy..

Alright then, the world: Billboards, Jumps, aforementioned quarry and general playground areas.. "smashable neons"? What was that thing I said prior to Payback's release?

I knew this whole thing sounded familiar: I played a game just like this 10 years ago!

..yeah, I'll double down (IT'S A GAMBLING REFERENCE!! Those are still relevant, right?) on that for this one.

Speaking of which, it's good to see that they've once again turned to that marvel of game design and decided to give out a special car for finding all collectables. What a fresh, original idea.

In short, Ghost have finally realised the full potential of the Ctrl+C-Ctrl+V trick. Yay. Totally worth the more than $60 for the Deluxe edition because something something games are too expensive to make, amirite?

(also I spy a pingas on the map. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. This is offensive to the chinese government, censor it immediately)

You'll also notice how I made that big a number out of this being another worse version of Burnout Paradise, yet never mentioned the fact that the police forces in both Paradise and Heat are named PCPD. Please let this and the Crown Vic becoming an Abandoned car in Payback be a sign.

Also, because this happened before I decided to man up, post this and get added to even more Ignore lists, which is impressive given that I'm already on every single one of them:

1ggbpw887gs31.png

You seeing this everyone? Because this is how you do a good reference/easter egg combo.

It remains to be seen if this is a result of Ghost finally putting some thought into their references or if it's a fluke because it's neither a character they can bring back nor a place it makes sense for them to namedrop every ten seconds. Need 4 Suggestions? Might be.

Right, time for me to see myself out.

Couldn't find actual gameplay footage of it but all it does is immobilise the car for a couple of seconds once you get hit by it. Here is a trailer of it from Payback:

It is slightly different to the HP2010 and Rivals EMP, all those did was made the car loose control and some damage to the car health.

So cops can disable your car for a few seconds?

Question do cops chase you when your in a race?

Cause if there's one thing i'm not good with is trying to win a race under such pressure :(

Trying to win a race while having cops that wanna kill you that have the ability to disable your car :nervous:

Sounds like fun
:lol:

They do chase for the night races but I'm not sure do the police use any tools when you are racing, the last 2 NFS has incompetent cops or just no cops at all.

@T0MMY3688 One last question do cop cars progress? Like at the start do they start with low power cars or do they start with corvettes and lamborghini's?

But as you progress and unlock faster cars like the p1 gtr will the cops also be driving the p1 gtr? cause that would be so awesome to be busted by a cop p1 gtr :D

Anyway thanks for helping me out i haven't been this excited for a racing game release since pc 2 :D

Not sure but based on the footage from Gamescom, there should be a progression based on your heat level. Likely to start off with Crown Vic then Dodge Charger and Corvette for the highest heat. I don't think they are having anything faster than Corvette but I guess the game will just try and bust you by using their tools.

One last question do cop cars progress? Like at the start do they start with low power cars or do they start with corvettes and lamborghini's?
Yes. If you looked at any gameplay (be it this game, or Payback) whatsoever, you would've see this in action.

But as you progress and unlock faster cars like the p1 gtr will the cops also be driving the p1 gtr? cause that would be so awesome to be busted by a cop p1 gtr :D
We get it, you like the P1 GTR.

Man no p1 gtr video/clip :(

Also the mclaren 600LT over the p1/p1 gtr :lol: needless to say i don't agree :nervous:

Overall everything looks good, i been playing payback since last night non stop so i'm ready for heat :D

Hopefully

I hate AR12 spoiling so much of the story.. but OMG this time we have some pretty nice features.
main character is voiced!! nice
The game looks fun and fresh. I can't wait to play it.

Hi, I'm just going to do my best Spinosaurus impression (look at how on-point my pop-culture references are) because this is far more entertaining than I thought it'd be.

First of all, it's good (I think?) to see that IGN is with me on the whole Ghost-doesn't-know-that-an-artstyle-needs-to-be-carried-through-in-order-to-work thing. There, I said it. Again. As for the rest of it? Sounds like it'll be yet another example of "this thing sounds good on paper, but they haven't put nearly enough thought into it". I feel like that's becoming Ghosts M.O., much like how Black Box' was "the plot shall drive progression and unlock wings for you to put on your car" and Criterions was "here's a bunch of things. Do with them as you see fit. Or don't".

As for the gameplay.. it looks alright. Nothing stand-out, but- HOLY MOLY DID I JUST HEAR GHOST MAKE A REFERENCE TO ONE OF THEIR OWN GAMES RATHER THAN A BLACK BOX TITLE?!? BUMP THE HYPE-O-METER TO 11 IMMEDIATELY!!1! No but seriously, that kinda caught me off-guard, to the point where my brains first response was "wait, there's no Black Box location named Ventura, and I'm pretty sure I didn't hear a 'Las' either". I have since fired said brain for even daring to suggest that 2015 is in any way a good game and acquired a new one. Brain surgery is a miracle.

What follows is around 25 minutes of a plot that seems decidedly we're-paraphrasing-old-ideas-and-don't-really-want-to-bring-anything-new-to-the-table, a first part of the garage scene that relies a little bit too heavily on people having never played Midnight Club 3 to not call that rip-off and a healthy reminder of why I've blocked any and all NFS "influencers" (I'm genuinely not kidding when I say listening to just five seconds of that video made me want to jump head-first from my second floor window), so thanks for that.

Also the game's gone gold and all that but I take it it's still unfair to ask for a playable demo before release to see if Ghost has a reason to be confident in their product this time around and by extension why you should throw money at them, yes? Oh yeah, how silly of me, demos with no strings (and paywalls) attached don't make EA money. More like the opposite.

On our final note for today, "unlocked by being a Member of a Level 50 Crew"? Please don't mean what I think this means. The last thing NFS' "grand return to form" needs is more hoops to jump through. Pun not really intended.

On our final note for today, "unlocked by being a Member of a Level 50 Crew"? Please don't mean what I think this means. The last thing NFS' "grand return to form" needs is more hoops to jump through. Pun not really intended.
Yeah lots of things locked behind various activities, levels.. How unoriginal. Even the famous BMW will be unlocked after completing the main story. I bet lots of MW fans will love it... not.
I still think in the end the main problems will rotate around handling and customization. So don't worry it will never make a grand return. Beside most fans only care for a Black Box remakes. And I still don't get it.
However some of us will enjoy this new title regardless.

Yeah lots of things locked behind various activities, levels.. How unoriginal. Even the famous BMW will be unlocked after completing the main story. I bet lots of MW fans will love it... not.

..there are three keywords in the bit you quoted. "Unlocked" isn't (per se) one of them.

"Level" and "50", on the other hand, very much are. Knowing this, finding the third word shouldn't be too difficult.

..there are three keywords in the bit you quoted. "Unlocked" isn't (per se) one of them.

"Level" and "50", on the other hand, very much are. Knowing this, finding the third word shouldn't be too difficult.
Oh, you talking about the crew? Well we still don't know exactly how it will work but we know that there will be an option to choose randoms about your level to make a crew. I don't think that will be a problem.

Worst comes to worst, I'm sure we can make a semi-public crew here on GTP, much like the way the Club works for Forza Horizon.

EDIT: Goodness me, this features is sexy.

Last edited:
Also the game's gone gold and all that but I take it it's still unfair to ask for a playable demo before release to see if Ghost has a reason to be confident in their product this time around and by extension why you should throw money at them, yes? Oh yeah, how silly of me, demos with no strings (and paywalls) attached don't make EA money. More like the opposite.

If you have a PC capable of running the game, activating 2 factor authentication gives you a free Origin Access to try out the game for 10 hours.

If you have a PC capable of running the game, activating 2 factor authentication gives you a free Origin Access to try out the game for 10 hours.

I am aware of that and am planning to take full advantage of it. Might as well. It's better than nothing, I guess, but only because the release date should be sufficiently far enough into November to get at least a handful of hours in and make an informed decision from that.

I don't really buy that this isn't a coincidence, though. The timing is a little too perfect. Was it not for this, it'd still be gated behind a paywall, so the point is still relevant.

I am aware of that and am planning to take full advantage of it. Might as well. It's better than nothing, I guess, but only because the release date should be sufficiently far enough into November to get at least a handful of hours in and make an informed decision from that.

I don't really buy that this isn't a coincidence, though. The timing is a little too perfect. Was it not for this, it'd still be gated behind a paywall, so the point is still relevant.

I kinda think they did it because they can’t give out loyalty discount to Payback owners on Origin, so just give out free access to everyone to try out the game and for the discount.

Container 9 drop in the Companion App
Car list for this container is in the spoiler below:
Volkswagen Beetle
Ford Mustang Foxbody
Porsche Panamera Turbo
Porsche 911 Carrera GTS 991.2
Aston martin DB5
Porsche 911 Carrera S 993
Mclaren P1
Nissan GTR Premium (Secret Car)
Ferrari Testarossa Coupe (Secret Car)
Lamborghini Huracan 610-4 Spyder (Secret Car)
Nissan Silvia Spec - R Aero (Secret Car)

Back