Need For Speed Heat - General Discussion

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 2,583 comments
Something odd and almost counter intuitive, but sometimes going slow (not full stop, but about 40-60 mph) through towns and the port is actually helpful with occasional short bursts. The cops hit hardest when you run, but try to pin you when playing possum. Keep them confused until you get to a jump and keep as many behind you. When on open road then run but if you're not in a fast car then stay urban and use jumps. The higher the heat the more crowded the cops become and aggressive, but the same rule applies. If you go slow, so do they, but more of them, so keep moving and spotting outs more often. Baiting the cops can be as much an option especially with a bit of experience imo.

The more I play this game, the more I'm confused at how it got better reviews than Payback, or good reviews at all. Seems all EA has to do to bait their fanbase is add tacky neons, pretty cars and cops, lol. I know Payback was a mess at release, but in its current state, even with the Speedcard farming, Payback is superior, and by a lot.

I would even say NFS15 is superior... If it had NFS Heat's physics, it would be better than Heat, easily.

My thoughts on it:

-They brought back the nitrous from ProStreet, which was the worst system in the franchise.

- The map is incredibly bland. The color filter they used in the graphics is pretty bad as well. The colors look desaturated, which is puzzling considering Miami is a vibrant, warm city.

- Soundtrack is atrocious, easily the worst in the franchise. They REALLY went for "street culture" here. I know Miami, which Palm City was based on, is a Latino city, in fact, has been for centuries, ever since Florida was Spanish domain. But that doesn't mean the whole soundtrack has to be built around it. Even found the atrocity known as "funk carioca" in there, heaven forbid. Undercover was a really bad game but it got the Latino aspect much better than Heat, and didn't need to abandon rock music to do it.

- Optimization on the Xbox is terrible. You'll get tired of seeing LODs loading in front of you. Seeing how Forza Horizon is a huge success, EA doesn't even try to compete.

- About the cops, and here's my biggest complaint... Cops in Heat have it way too easy. When their magic turbos fail them, they can just ram and kill you, while you can't fight back at all. Impossible to evade without cheese. That's complete BS. In NFS Rivals you were nowhere near as helpless against the cops in the early stages of the game. In MW (the real one) it was they who feared the players! The game that most resembles this level of BS from the cops is Undercover, which sucked.

- You can't grind the same race over and over. The game lowers your rewards if you try. No idea what was Ghost thinking. Maybe it is to force you to jump between day and night, which is weird considering game progression already forces you to do so.

- You can put female clothing on male character and vice-versa, much like in Forza Horizon 4. Instead of copying the good stuff, EA copies this... lol

I guess the physics is better and the car list has more variety... The upgrade system is better as well. But that's too little. The reason why Heat didn't perform well enough for EA to keep Ghost afloat is because it sucks. No better way to put it. There's really no reason to play NFS Heat instead of Forza Horizon 4 apart from being bored of FH4 or simply out of curiosity.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, because many things in Heat seem as if Ghost knew they were being canned yet they released the game anyway since EA told them to. Maybe also because EA needed to recoup the losses buying back Ferrari's license and Adidas clothing (lol). Not the actors' fault either (I heard Ana Marte received death threats over the lack of updates, which is completely nuts), in fact the story is alright and Ana is a much better lead than Jess.

Last edited:
- You can't grind the same race over and over. The game lowers your rewards if you try. No idea what was Ghost thinking. Maybe it is to force you to jump between day and night, which is weird considering game progression already forces you to do so.

I think the idea is to make players play the other events on the map. You can just go back into the garage and exit again to reset the rewards.

I guess the physics is better and the car list has more variety... The upgrade system is better as well. But that's too little. The reason why Heat didn't perform well enough for EA to keep Ghost afloat is because it sucks. No better way to put it. There's really no reason to play NFS Heat instead of Forza Horizon 4 apart from being bored of FH4 or simply out of curiosity.

I don't think it perform badly for EA, I remember one of EA reports did says the game perform as they have expected it to be. Also the closure for Ghost is more likely due to hiring issues in Gothenburg than it doing poorly. If EA wanted to kill them off, the huge backlash and poor sales from Payback should have done it. Like many other EA studios and franchise that got closed for good.

The more I play this game, the more I'm confused at how it got better reviews than Payback, or good reviews at all. Seems all EA has to do to bait their fanbase is add tacky neons, pretty cars and cops, lol. I know Payback was a mess at release, but in its current state, even with the Speedcard farming, Payback is superior, and by a lot.

I would even say NFS15 is superior... If it had NFS Heat's physics, it would be better than Heat, easily.

My thoughts on it:

-They brought back the nitrous from ProStreet, which was the worst system in the franchise.

- The map is incredibly bland. The color filter they used in the graphics is pretty bad as well. The colors look desaturated, which is puzzling considering Miami is a vibrant, warm city.

- Soundtrack is atrocious, easily the worst in the franchise. They REALLY went for "street culture" here. I know Miami, which Palm City was based on, is a Latino city, in fact, has been for centuries, ever since Florida was Spanish domain. But that doesn't mean the whole soundtrack has to be built around it. Even found the atrocity known as "funk carioca" in there, heaven forbid. Undercover was a really bad game but it got the Latino aspect much better than Heat, and didn't need to abandon rock music to do it.

- Optimization on the Xbox is terrible. You'll get tired of seeing LODs loading in front of you. Seeing how Forza Horizon is a huge success, EA doesn't even try to compete.

- About the cops, and here's my biggest complaint... Cops in Heat have it way too easy. When their magic turbos fail them, they can just ram and kill you, while you can't fight back at all. Impossible to evade without cheese. That's complete BS. In NFS Rivals you were nowhere near as helpless against the cops in the early stages of the game. In MW (the real one) it was they who feared the players! The game that most resembles this level of BS from the cops is Undercover, which sucked.

- You can put female clothing on male character and vice-versa, much like in Forza Horizon 4. Instead of copying the good stuff, EA copies this... lol

I'm not sure how I feel about it, because many things in Heat seem as if Ghost knew they were being canned yet they released the game anyway since EA told them to. Maybe also because EA needed to recoup the losses buying back Ferrari's license and Adidas clothing (lol). Not the actors' fault either (I heard Ana Marte received death threats over the lack of updates, which is completely nuts), in fact the story is alright and Ana is a much better lead than Jess.

Payback was awful out of all NFS Ghosts games it was the worst out of all 4.

Heat is 10 times better than payback in every way. Nfs heat needs proper multiplayer also new racing modes and events also a route maker so we can make our own routes and race with friends.

This is bad how?

I'm not sure the NFS community are the type of people who are big into cross-dressing other than doing it "for the lulz".

For women, it's more natural. For men... eh, we're not quite there yet. Women's clothing is made with women's curves in mind and men tend to look ridiculous wearing it.

The character customization is superior to other games overall. At least there's decent jeans in there, tons of shorts, and you earn stuff with money. The menu is better in Forza Horizon, though.

Payback was awful out of all NFS Ghosts games it was the worst out of all 4.

Heat is 10 times better than payback in every way. Nfs heat needs proper multiplayer also new racing modes and events also a route maker so we can make our own routes and race with friends.

Well, to me, in Heat, the setting is worse, the map is worse, the soundtrack is worse, the game runs worse, the controls customization is non-existent on console... you name it. Put Heat's physics in any of the previous two games and Heat compares unfavorably to them. But that's my opinion... I'm trying my best to actually like the game and it hasn't been kind to me. :(

Lots of people who hate Payback do so for the story and the offroading... The offroad physics is flawed because the air physics is BS, but the story is your standard NFS thing. I thought I was gonna have issues with the Speedcards but it's easy to get a decent car running. Like I said, the game did have a terrible launch, but as of January last year it was actually pretty decent.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the NFS community are the type of people who are big into cross-dressing other than doing it "for the lulz".

For women, it's more natural. For men... eh, we're not quite there yet. Women's clothing is made with women's curves in mind and men tend to look ridiculous wearing it.

Gender constructs are stupid, especially in a video game with customization elements, and people are free to wear the other gender's clothes if they want. Again, why this is a problem is beyond me.

Gender constructs are stupid, especially in a video game with customization elements, and people are free to wear the other gender's clothes if they want. Again, why this is a problem is beyond me.

It breaks immersion and looks stupid.

Why would a boy wear girls clothes?? Why would a girl wear boys clothes?

Of all the silly crap found in Heat, and Need For Speed games in general, that's what breaks your immersion?

Because they want to...? Or because it's what they're most comfortable with...?

Last edited:

Ask the many transgender and non-binary/genderfluid peoples in the world that same question, and see what happens.

And as mentioned, *that's* what breaks your 'immersion' of a street racing arcade game? Got it. Sure not revealing of anything.

070 edited.jpg

Immersion does not mean we are demanding a ultra realistic simulator. Majority of nfs players dont care about dress ups or a story.

Guess what? Some people do care. And if the options are there, let people do what they want with it. If it gets you pissed off enough to bring it up in a post in the main thread, and subsequently blurt out one of the most overused 'jokes' when it comes to gender like you're trying to be creative, then that speaks a lot about your opinions of people that do exist, and probably don't take too kindly to you repeating said crap jokes, and saying that there's only two genders in the mean time.

In forza 7 you have players wearing a gingerbread suit or an astronaut suit driving a LMP1 or a GTE car for a lot of people that breaks immersion easily because it makes the game look ridiculous.

And? Legitimately, no one except you and a couple of people actually care about driver suits in Forza 7 enough that it 'ruins' immersion of a game that already wasn't a hardcore simulator to begin with, and gives you the option to let loose the Presidential limousine on the Nurburgring if one desires. Plus, there's a big difference between a bunch of filler content in a racing game that really doesn't add up to much, and hating the ability to have no locking of clothing options behind gender because of pretty obvious views on people that don't fit typical gender norms.

This has already turned into an utterly stupid thread, considering the game series. But, to quote from earlier:

some of y’all, as per usual, love to show your true colours in the weirdest ways

If many people are critising men wearing girls clothes in a nfs game it is our opinion why does it bother you??

Show me the "many" people that have criticized this. Between this forum, Reddit, and various other platforms, the only person I've specifically seen bring up this "issue" is you.

Also, just because it's "your opinion," does not mean people cannot/should not challenge it. If you want, you can even try your luck and presenting your opinion in the dedicated thread for it.

Majority of nfs players dont care about dress ups or a story.

Yet the option of your avatar wearing off-gender clothing really seems to bother you, since you specifically said...

Anywhoozles...

The reason why we have to get stories in every nfs game is mainly due to most wanted fans screaming at every post about wanting a story not realising most wanted story was cringy and carbon did not make sense.

This is relevant because...?

And in any case, while I agree that MW05's story was a bit cringy, it was, more than anything, memorable. Having a memorable story, even if it's not particularly good, has never really hurt any game, NFS included. Hell, NFS 2015's story was fairly garbage, yet I still see discussions about it because the charecters, settings, themes and whatnot were unique and memorable. I'd wager that that's the kind of story a healthy number of nostalgic players would want.

Nfs has always been about the cars not clothes or a story.

...in your opinion. And again, this a customization-focused game. The option for character customization makes plenty of sense.

In forza 7 you have players wearing a gingerbread suit or an astronaut suit driving a LMP1 or a GTE car for a lot of people that breaks immersion easily because it makes the game look ridiculous.

Again, you are pretty much the only person I've ever seen raise that specific issue. And, much like NFS, customization is also a pillar of Forza's identity.

Last edited:
Somehow I missed this earlier.

Lots of people who hate Payback do so for the story and the offroading... The offroad physics is flawed because the air physics is BS

Not sure what the big deal is with the in-air stuff. It's just reduced drag and downforce for the most part. Dumb and unrealistic, sure, but I don't think it harms the gameplay in any way.

The general consensus I've heard from most people about the offroading was:
1. Excessively twitchy handling (for whatever reason, Ghost decided to make offroading change the car's drifting behavior. Criterion didn't do this)
2. The artificial loss of speed (which is restricted by a set value for each car, not from a loss of traction)

Of course the story was definitely not great but I think that and the offroad was secondary to some of the games bigger issues: Speed cards, lackluster pursuit gameplay, etc.

^I personally loved the off-roading in Payback. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it was very fun, and I think it was a really good way of seeing who the truly skilled drivers were. Granted, I'm kind of a sucker for off-roading in any racing game.

That being said, I wasn't very fond of the speed limiter, and the airborne physics were pretty bad, especially if you were loaded up on parts that "improved" your airtime stats. While the latter's been improved (as well as the overall physics), the former is still present in heat, though now it seems like the off-road top speed is influenced moreso by the handling profile than anything else., and most of the cars I've tested roughly have the same potential top speed (usually somewhere around 145-150 mph).

Ghost has a weird obsession with ridiculously low slip values for triggering drifts. 2015's Scandinavian flick, Payback's offroading, and Heat's drift parts all have this same issue and it's just not fun, nor does it feel natural.

Also shout out to the Lancia Delta with drift tires in MW12.

I'm actually far, faaaaar more annoyed by the fact that both PG and Ghost chose the lamest, cringe inducing and most cliché millenial preset characters to have ever graced mankind than the ability to cross-dress these characters (which I couldn't care less about).

Last edited:
MXH
I'm actually far, faaaaar more annoyed by the fact that both PG and Ghost chose the lamest, cringe inducing and most cliché millenial preset characters to have ever graced mankind than the ability to cross-dress these characters (which I couldn't care less about).

Thats why Forza Horizon 1 will always be the best.

The game was serious to be honest especially the dark street racing and the car culture from there it just became a joke with future additions.

Show me the "many" people that have criticized this. Between this forum, Reddit, and various other platforms, the only person I've specifically seen bring up this "issue" is you.

Also, just because it's "your opinion," does not mean people cannot/should not challenge it. If you want, you can even try your luck and presenting your opinion in the dedicated thread for it.

Yet the option of your avatar wearing off-gender clothing really seems to bother you, since you specifically said...

Anywhoozles...

This is relevant because...?

And in any case, while I agree that MW05's story was a bit cringy, it was, more than anything, memorable. Having a memorable story, even if it's not particularly good, has never really hurt any game, NFS included. Hell, NFS 2015's story was fairly garbage, yet I still see discussions about it because the charecters, settings, themes and whatnot were unique and memorable. I'd wager that that's the kind of story a healthy number of nostalgic players would want.

...in your opinion. And again, this a customization-focused game. The option for character customization makes plenty of sense.

Again, you are pretty much the only person I've ever seen raise that specific issue. And, much like NFS, customization is also a pillar of Forza's identity.

I said this before with or without customisation.

The cars are always the stars.

Teat drive unlimited allowed you to dress your character except it actually looked better without looking ridiculous.

The game allowed me to wear a nice business suit while driving an Enzo Ferrari thats what I call immersion.

As for Forza Horizon 4 debacle, the main issue is never because of "ruins immersion". But more because you are more likely to win clothes at a wheelspin due to it being integrated along with with cars and credits and the amount of clothing exceeds the amount of vehicles.

People are hardly care about clothing, they care about cars in a driving game. And people who are pissed because of above is legitimate imho.

Last edited:
I get the impression that people are just cherry-picking whatever excuses they can find to say that a game is bad. Not saying that Ghost are great devs or anything because they're not, but come on, people.

The game allowed me to wear a nice business suit while driving an Enzo Ferrari thats what I call immersion.

And somehow, having unisex clothing options 'breaks' your immersion.

Once more, it speaks pretty clearly to your views on transgender peoples. The fact that you pull out the oldest, most played out joke when challenged on your (frankly, bad) views really solidfies it.

People are hardly care about clothing, they care about cars in a driving game. And people who are pissed because of above is legitimate imho

And yet there are what, 700+ vehicles and 30 tracks on Forza 7? If people are pissed about racing suits that aren't filled with corporate logos, then I hate to tell them about what people get up to with the racing suit livery editor on GT Sport. Immersion ruined.

Likewise, if people are mad that they are getting clothing in the wheelspins, either in Motorsport or Horizon then frankly, they should be complaining about other things if it breaks their 'immersion', which is as we established not the point of either Forza Motorsport/Horizon, or in this case, Heat.

I was the one who brought the genderfluid discussion up. Sorry for the turmoil, not my intention.

But NFS Heat is hardly a good example of non-binary support. All characters' bodies are very specifically binary, so the female clothing on males tends to look pretty bad most of the time. FH4 has the same issue. I think a non-binary person would want to see characters which visually don't stand firmly in either gender, not just the ability to put any clothes on any character. What we have in Forza and NFS is cross-dressing, not support for non-binary rights, although there could be people playing the game who see cross-dressing as a form of non-binarism and are ok with it.

Dresses, skirts, tops, etc. are made for female body with breasts (even A-cup) and wide hips, so it feels weird to see muscle-bound males with skinnier legs wearing them. Performers such as drag queens don't just put the clothes and call it a day, they do so much more. Women don't have this issue, since men's clothes are larger, so they fit the female body as well.

Haircuts aren't an issue though since they're not exactly "gendered".

Not sure what the big deal is with the in-air stuff. It's just reduced drag and downforce for the most part. Dumb and unrealistic, sure, but I don't think it harms the gameplay in any way.

The general consensus I've heard from most people about the offroading was:
1. Excessively twitchy handling (for whatever reason, Ghost decided to make offroading change the car's drifting behavior. Criterion didn't do this)
2. The artificial loss of speed (which is restricted by a set value for each car, not from a loss of traction)

Of course the story was definitely not great but I think that and the offroad was secondary to some of the games bigger issues: Speed cards, lackluster pursuit gameplay, etc.

The air physics issue is because there's like a "caster" or something when your car leaves the road, it gets straightened instead of keeping its rotational momentum like in 1st Newton's Law. Therefore, in tracks with lots of small bumps, the car becomes very hard to handle. Can be remedied with minimum Jump perks, but Jump can be useful for clearing some jumps more easily (why I put Americana in my offroad cars).

Also you can steer your car in midair, which is amusing, but doesn't hurt the gameplay and can be useful in certain situations.

The twitch is car-dependent and manageable with more weight to the car's rear. The Speedrun @LeGeNd-1 was having trouble with, I got 3 stars in my first try. When the ground is level, offroading is actually quite fun.

And yet there are what, 700+ vehicles and 30 tracks on Forza 7? If people are pissed about racing suits that aren't filled with corporate logos, then I hate to tell them about what people get up to with the racing suit livery editor on GT Sport. Immersion ruined.

Likewise, if people are mad that they are getting clothing in the wheelspins, either in Motorsport or Horizon then frankly, they should be complaining about other things if it breaks their 'immersion', which is as we established not the point of either Forza Motorsport/Horizon, or in this case, Heat.
My apologies. It's actually Forza Horizon 4.

Its a legitimate issue I heard from Forza community where people want to win credits or car from wheelspins but ends up getting clothes most of the time.

Getting off topic abit here to be honest so I just drop here to say that atleast NFS Heat doesn't have this issue in place.

Back