Need For Speed Payback General Discussion

• Thread starter Ameer67
  • 1,566 comments
View attachment 651032
Developer: Ghost Games Publisher: Electronic Arts Platforms: PS4, XB1, PC​
  • Play as three different characters.
  • Basic plot: take down The House - a cartel that basically runs the city.
  • Five car classes: Race, Drift, Off-road, Drag, and Runner.
  • Takes place in Fortune Valley (looks similar to Nevada). Areas include city, desert, mountain, and canyon.
  • Deep customization.
  • Police pursuits.
  • Risk vs Reward system.

November 10, 2017
(Buying the Deluxe Edition gives you three-day early access.)

Hey all so need for speed payback is out soon I’m thinking of cancelling pre order. Any advice. I didn’t enjoy 2015 nfs and there’s no cockpit camera either which annoys me. Not sure if I’m going to like it or get into it. I love nfs 1.2.3.4 but I feel it’s gone down hill as of late and that’s why I want to cancel but then apart me of me loves cars as well. :(

^^^ Do whatever you want to buddy. You don't need our opinions to decide for you. 👍

I'm totally getting Underground 2 vibes from the city racing at the start of this video!

Cool video thank you. So guess it’s more the crew meets horizon sort of which isn’t bad thing. I guess if I want cockpit cam I’ll play GT Sport or forza or Project Cars 2 etc :$) I’m glad physics have been updated.

^^^ If the cockpit view is a dealbreaker then you can always wait for it to come down in price. Otherwise, I'm not seeing anything that doesn't make me think this will be the best NFS game since Most Wanted '05.

Needing cockpit camera options in NFS games aren't usually a big deal in the franchise since very few of them ever had this feature. Even the most popular and praised NFS titles like Underground 1 and 2 never featured them so I don't understand how this would hold any longtime NFS fan back from buying Payback.

For those who have Origin Access - 10h trial can be downloaded and played. 👍

Game feels really good compared to the 2015. Also the optimalization is on point, 1080p everything maxed out I'm getting 40-90 fps, mostly sitting around 55-70. And the lower fps is becouse of my laptop cpu bottlenecking the gpu - i5 7300HQ & GTX 1060.

For those who have Origin Access - 10h trial can be downloaded and played. 👍

I'm told it's also available on EA Access, at least in the US. I'll be trying it in the UK myself once I'm home from work.

r0u8y13.jpg

A2B3AT8.jpg

U0VkW1X.jpg

Really getting excited. Really want to know how it plays, but the laptop is now obselete and only have the PS4 to play with.

Out of curiousity (turning into a 10 year old now :D) what is the first car you intend to max out when you get a bit of cash flow. Either the Cougar or Boss. Really want to have a spin in the muscles and classics.

@torque99 Yes there is, at least on PC version. You click left on dpad and it brings up photo mode, where you can tilt, move, add filters, disable damage etc, change focus, background effect.

@Gr4ndy Great Screen Captures :cheers:...I have pre-ordered the deluxe version for PS4 Pro.

Is there Snap Shot Pro (photo mode) this time on release built in? 👍

There is a built in photo mode that is much similar to the last game, you can access it by pressing left on the d-pad (on Xbox, anyway)

The handling is...interesting. You can definitely now use grip for cornering however it still feels slower than drifting as when you drift you tend to get a small boost out of the corner. I've also found that a few times the "takedown cam" has forced me into a horrible situation once I regain control so I'll be turning that off.

*POSSIBLE NON STORY SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST HOUR OF THE GAME BELOW*

As for the rest of it it's taken me a while to get to a point where I can even modify my car! I'd say to expect 45mins to an hour of gameplay before you get to choose a car and start modifying it, and even then most of the customisation options are locked behind challenges. To unlock front bumper mods you need to drift for 8 seconds non stop, for example.

Last edited:
need to drift for 8 seconds non stop, for example.
That mechanic really reminds me of Most Wanted 2012 for some reason. Just with performance and parts instead of just performance this time around.

That mechanic really reminds me of Most Wanted 2012 for some reason. Just with performance and parts instead of just performance this time around.

I never played MW 2012 so can't comment on how similar it is but it's not necessarily a bad thing IMO, it encourages use of things like the speed traps and the big jumps which are always fun. They all seem fairly easy to achieve too; the 8 second drift can be achieved by just doing wide donuts on the airstrip :)

I've watched the first 50 minutes of gameplay on Youtube.

Moglet, what you said about drifting being faster confirms what I've seen on videos. It's hard to tell without a controller in my hand, but it does appear that drifting is still the fastest way around a corner. As long as the handling feels much better and there isn't any crab-walking or magnetic walls, I'm still gonna call it a win.

I'm sure a lot of people will criticize this first section of the game, because it's all story driven on rails. As stated, there's no ability to jump in and start customizing. That being said, it does a fantastic job of getting you right into racing action, and introducing you to various cars of differing capabilities. Talk about instant gratification when it comes to pure racing.

Dare I say it, the story is actually engaging, for me, at least. Probably the deepest plot-driven NFS to date. It's kinda good!

I definitely haven't experienced any crab walking or magnetic walls yet, so that's good. The off road handling is a little wobbly but I think I just need to get used to it.

So judging from everyone who's playing the 10 hour trial so far, I guess its Most Wanted 2012-like physics then with Rivals physics mixed in as well?

If that's the case then I don't think I'll have any problems then by the time I pick it up by release day.

Seeing that 240Z made me instantly over Toyota's exclusion. I'm liking seeing grip builds actually well, grip now lol. Makes me wonder if tire consumption is something to consider for an update or something to balance drifting still being faster around corners?

So I started playing the trial. Fairly long intro. Took about an hour of cutscenes and jumping through different driving scenarios before the game lets you choose your first car. I defeated Graveyard Shift first.

Cutting to the chase, I can at least say that the physics are definitely a step in the right direction. They still feel Burnout-like, but to put it plainly, the physics haven't caused me to wreck so far, so that's a good sign. The driving feels more responsive and is more sensitive to input than I was expecting. Haven't done much off-road driving yet, so I can't really comment on that.

All in all, I'm okay with this. Still need to experience more of the game before I decide to buy or not, but it's making a nice first impression for now.

Last edited:
So, It all seems quite positive so far including the handling. 👍 ^^ I can tell the lighting and graphics look very good, even the sharper detail of the cars in the garage. The night time lighting looks similar to 2015. From you tube it looks good but as always it is not the same as on your own screen. I'm guessing it all looks polished on a nice big 4K TV?

What is the audio and car sounds like? They were pretty good in NFS 2015.

I read it will be in 4k/30FPS on PS4 Pro & XboxOneX.

I'm looking forward to that Blue UV underglow and tire smoke :eek: I am feeling my age, but it is all fun :gtpflag:
NFSPaybackDE1_bonusLG.jpg

I’m watching videos now on it and hated 2015 only got to lvl 40 and was done. Umm yeah I dunno really bad taste in my mouth after 2015 nfs and thinking of what I loved about need for speed 1-4 makes me sad to where the game has gone. So I do not know

Decided to wait for a sale later on. It does look alright sounds ok on videos. I would like to read and watch some reviews then I can decide but I think when it comes on sale it’s worth it.

What is the audio and car sounds like? They were pretty good in NFS 2015.

They sound pretty good so far, I love the pops and crackles on the shifts and when letting off the throttle and the NOS now activates in a different way; it sort of has a "pre-activation" sound and effect before kicking in properly.

I really appreciate that the slight blurriness of everything in the garage is gone compared to 2015.

Also it can't be overstated how great it is to have full, vivid daylight without some gimmicky effect like HDR ruining the experience (I'm looking at you Undercover.)

I really appreciate that the slight blurriness of everything in the garage is gone compared to 2015.

Also it can't be overstated how great it is to have full, vivid daylight without some gimmicky effect like HDR ruining the experience (I'm looking at you Undercover.)

I completely agree, the environments and cars look stunning in full daylight, especially once you get out into the desert and the dust blows across the roads as you're drifting round a huge corner. Awesome stuff. 👍

Looking at the gameplay, i'm getting positive vibes, looks a lot better than 2015, and less cringy than i thought.

Looking at the gameplay, i'm getting positive vibes, looks a lot better than 2015, and less cringy than i thought.

You must have missed the introductory drift mission where you take a social media star out on the road and he keeps taking selfies ;)

So far i like what i am reading. I fully expect the story to be deliberately cheesy and over top, much like it was in 2015. I know lots of people thougbt it was bad, it felt to me like it knew it was bad and was making fun of those types of movies/shows. The comments about how it handles are the biggest encouragement, if i can actually enjoy just cruising around the map that is a big win in my book. I had to force my way tbrough to the end of 2015 and really never touched it after i finished it cuse driving around was horrible, probably one of the worst handling driving games ever

Back