Need help!!!!

United States
Phoenix, AZ
nitrorocks
Hi all, need help creating a good course. It's yard for me when I tryed it before, but I just can't get it right and build a good fun track for me and my friends to race on. For all you pros out there please give me some tips!!! Thanks!

I'm not an avid track maker but I've put in enough time with the course generator to learn how the game will cook up a section for you. Speaking of sections, 4 is a good number to play with, you don't want the track to be terribly long, I always go for lap times that are under 2 minutes in a moderately powered car, 400-500 hp. You're not making a Circuit de le Sarthe or Nordschleife. Unless that's what you're shooting for, good luck with that.

I'm assuming you're generating a course on the Eifel theme, but these tips should work just as well for most variations.

Don't get too crazy with the complexity factor or you'll end up with a track layout that resembles a bug splat. Most times 7-8 is about as high as you want to go if you want to have a nice flowing line through your sections,you can also complement the lack of complexity by reducing the width of the track and raising the sharpness of the turns. Adjust the width especially since the default setting for the Eifel and Toscana tracks makes the road way wider than necessary.

I don't usually bother with the topography of the track too much, seems to me like it's a hit and miss with how that will affect or improve the experience when you're out racing. I did manage to create a course with a turn similar to Eau Rouge once, still fond of that one. :D

As far as camber on the turns goes, I suggest balancing it out with the sharpness and sequence of the turns, if you want to have a higher average speed through a section where the turns are fun to navigate then play with the camber setting. I don't usually go higher than 5 or 6 on it though.

Just keep experimenting and you'll find a track that suits your taste. I enjoy semi twisty tracks with at least one full-throttle straight that leads into a hard braking corner for overtaking opportunities.

Sleek Stratos gives good advice. Keep it simple to start. I've tried to make my own Nordschleife and after hours of tweaking usually end up scrapping the aforementioned "bug splat".

Also skip through the randomized layouts first and pick one you like the look of initially. Chances are it looks good for a reason. It's balanced or has an interesting shape and speaks to you in some way or another. Give it character. A good course has an ace or two up it's sleeve so keep it unpredictable while varying the different sections. Careful not to go overboard with the settings too - it does have to be drive-able.
Give it a suitable and memorable name, a "famous" corner, etc. Use your imagination.
Ultimately it has to be fun to drive so test it regularly while working.

I've found Eifel the best for circuits, Toscana is more like back road or highway driving, and Mt. Aso is the most difficult to work with because of it's crazy topography. You can still create good dramatic tracks there but you have to watch out for the bumps!

@noisiaturismo @Badger-X- @Sleek Stratos Thanks for the tips! I always use Eifel because its the most realistic curcuit. I will use your guy's advice! If you guys have a nice track, I will add you. Im playing F1 2011 at the moment before the update, and the expansion pack. Thanks

It's all a matter of personal preference. I like my tracks to be as realistic as possible, and this is the combination that works best for me.

Eifel circuit.
3 segments (sometimes 2 or 4)
Complexity 7-10, 0-3, 7-10
Width +1 or +2
Corner sharpness I play with to get the best "feel" for each segment.
Corner bank 3 for most segments. This helps prevent off-camber turns but doesn't make extreme banked turns that don't feel realistic.
Elevation <150 feet if possible. Extreme elevation changes feel unrealistic in a paved circuit.
No jumps.

Not all my tracks are made this way but more than half are.

@s2k2k3 Thanks ill add you I cannot stand the extreme elevation changes that take place on those tracks.

Latest Posts

Back