Nemesis tracks.

• Thread starter Taxrik
  • 69 comments
Interlagos.

I'm always a good three seconds off the pace of the top 100 in EMEA, regardless of which class of car we're racing.

Is there a track that hates you? A track that no matter how many laps you do still beats you? Sees you coming and somehow changes the geometry of its corners each time?

I mean, some tracks take longer to learn than others. I used to dislike (and was rubbish at) Suzuka but I was getting to grips with it then it finally clicked with the SF19 and now I love it, though Spoon still catches me out now and again. In fact the SF19 is a bit of a track tamer because I took it round Brands GP, another tricky one for me, and now I love it (luckily if next week’s dailies prediction is right!)

But b****y Interlagos!! A pox upon it. I’ve tried, I really have but I could fly to Brazil, walk round that track and STILL miss the apex in turn 1, go wide on those two stupid right handers in the middle of the track and overcook that last sharp corner trying to get a good run onto the last drag. Grr.

Please tell me I’m not alone in having that one track that hates you?
I know everyone is different, but why do you consider Interlagos more difficult than Suzuka? IMO, suzuka is at least 2x time harder. Maybe it's easier to drive on suzuka for the first time, but getting really fast lap times is easier on interlagos for me. The corners on this Track are quite easy. On Suzuka, I'm always at least 3-5 seconds off the top 10 times with Gr3 and Gr4. But on interlagos, I'm usually about 1-3 seconds off.

Now I actually remember, that I used to say that interlagos was the hardest track, like a year ago. But I was wrong. It's just quite unique track, and it might look difficult for some people at first, but it really isn't. Suzuka, Nurburgring, Fuji, De Sainte cox etc are harder tracks, imo.

Callaway - Suzuka used to be tricky too but I think finally getting to grips with the turns 3-7 ‘snake’ unlocked it in my head, and the grippy SF19 did that for me. As I say, Spoon can still catch me out and compromise my run onto the back straight sometimes but getting there.

Interlagos on the other hand, I just can’t get into it. It starts off badly with turn 1 always sucking me in to braking too late and then I guess I’m left chasing the lap. The two right-handers in the middle, especially the first one, always catch me out, I either don’t brake enough and wander wide into the grass or brake too early and pull up short, cut the corner or even spin the back out on the kerb. Then I’m frustrated and think I can at least save it with a good run out of the last real corner onto the final kinked straight but mess it up and go for a closer look at the advertising hoardings again! I perhaps should have another concerted effort to tackle it but it’s much easier to dismiss it as a bad track than to admit one’s own fallibilities!! :-D

Interlagos kicks my butt every time, I just can’t get anywhere near my usual pace on other tracks at Interlagos for some reason.

Don’t give up fellas!! I finally decided to buckle down and learn Interlagos this week once and for all and I’ve finally got myself a decent time there and I feel like I can still get more out of it. So keep plugging away at those nemesis tracks, they’re not impossible at all, they’re just a little more difficult than the others. :)

In the last weeks Race B on Red Bull Ring with Group 3 I didn't manage to have a quite good race. In yesterday's FIA Manufacturer cup, same track, but with Gr. 4 it was very easy to handle and drive clean and fast. Maybe just learn tracks with cars you prefer driving.

Brands Hatch is just awful in general. And Nurburgring GP in anything other than FF feels like I’m driving on ice.

The section of a track I dislike the mostra is the downhill section of Mount Panorama. I'm not slow, but it's the section I'm more inconsistent going through.

The fact that I don't like it, means I don't practice it as much which makes it all a snowball. ^^

Make it at night and I really dislike that 3rd sector.

Surprised how many folks struggle at Interlagos. There's not a lot of corners and to me, anyway, it's a 1,000 times easier than Suzuka and nowhere near as hateful as Fuji or Autopolis.

If you watch the replays of the top 10 at Interlagos you can copy it to some degree, but suzuka, damn, another level of hurt.

Latest Posts

Back