Neo-classical Competition Car Choice and Setup

• Thread starter coyb20
  • 142 comments
There’s a Mercedes-Benz CLK LM 1998 in the Legends garage for sale today at 6.5 million. Is that a good car and price to use at the Neo Classic race, menu 43?
Just bought the 787 today to try @ Red Bull Neoclassic Challenge - ran with IMs for more HP expecting rain (no pit) and Bingo! Easier win on hard difficulty than with the CLK.

Can the Gran Turismo F1500T-A be used in the Neo-Classic Competition (Menu Book 43)? What about the McLaren MP4/4?

The F1500T-A should be a good car against the Group C racers and costs only a million credits compared to the other Group C racers from Legend Cars that cost way more….unless of course it cannot be detuned to go below PP 800 to meet the PP requirement?

Can the Gran Turismo F1500T-A be used in the Neo-Classic Competition (Menu Book 43)? What about the McLaren MP4/4?

The F1500T-A should be a good car against the Group C racers and costs only a million credits compared to the other Group C racers from Legend Cars that cost way more….unless of course it cannot be detuned to go below PP 800 to meet the PP requirement?
Can’t use the F1500T, based on older model but doesn’t count. The MP4/4 works, just be mindful of gas, best to turn the Fuel Map for lower usage and avoid unnecessary pit stop

Last edited:
This menu book is baffling..

Recommended car is the Supra GT500, but the top AI are all using the likes of LeMans type cars completely outclassing it by over 100 PP.

Seems contrary to use an equally competitive car like the 787B just to nerf it in order to meet the PP regulation.

Can’t use the F1500T, based on older model but doesn’t count. The MP4/4 works, just be mindful of gas, best to turn the Fuel Map for lower usage and avoid unnecessary pit stop
Got it, thanks, I guess I will either need to take out my precious MP4/4 from the garage (hopefully it can be detuned to PP 800 and below with some RH tires, power restrictor, and ballast) or just bite the bullet and get one of the Group C racers from Legend Cars....

This menu book is baffling..

Recommended car is the Supra GT500, but the top AI are all using the likes of LeMans type cars completely outclassing it by over 100 PP.

Seems contrary to use an equally competitive car like the 787B just to nerf it in order to meet the PP regulation.
Is the Supra GT500 still slower than or not as good as the Group C racers even if you can tune it close to PP 800?

Is the Supra GT500 still slower than or not as good as the Group C racers even if you can tune it close to PP 800?
Got it, thanks, I guess I will either need to take out my precious MP4/4 from the garage (hopefully it can be detuned to PP 800 and below with some RH tires, power restrictor, and ballast) or just bite the bullet and get one of the Group C racers from Legend Cars....
I was confirming that the MP4/4 can enter, be tuned to 800 and easily win the Neo; thats what I meant about changing the fuel map, even when its lowered in power. The Gr.1 classics (787B, XJ-9, 962, C9) and their combination of power, light weight, low tire wear and high fuel efficiency makes them the most powerful performers at 800pp outside of the Escudo (which at 800pp can run 500 more horsepower at the same weight). They are also the best choices to obliterate the Neo Classical Races. They differ from the newer gr.1 cars in that they lack downforce, allowing them to be detuned with monstrous amounts of power in comparison while still being light weight and retaining the best fuel consumption

Last edited:
I was confirming that the MP4/4 can enter, be tuned to 800 and easily win the Neo; thats what I meant about changing the fuel map, even when its lowered in power. The Gr.1 classics (787B, XJ-9, 962, C9) and their combination of power, light weight, low tire wear and high fuel efficiency makes them the most powerful performers at 800pp outside of the Escudo (which at 800pp can run 500 more horsepower at the same weight). They are also the best choices to obliterate the Neo Classical Races. They differ from the newer gr.1 cars in that they lack downforce, allowing them to be detuned with monstrous amounts of power in comparison while still being light weight and retaining the best fuel consumption
Understood, and the Supra GT500 is too heavy (further weight reduction is not possible it seems) and down on power compared to the Group C racers. I may opt to get the 787B for this challenge, but it was sold out in Legend Cars when I checked last night, and the R92CP was no longer available. The only one left was the C9, but it costs 800k more than either the 787B or the R92CP….

Understood, and the Supra GT500 is too heavy (further weight reduction is not possible it seems) and down on power compared to the Group C racers. I may opt to get the 787B for this challenge, but it was sold out in Legend Cars when I checked last night, and the R92CP was no longer available. The only one left was the C9, but it costs 800k more than either the 787B or the R92CP….
argg… that sucks. Last time they were around was in October. If the rotation stays the same probably wont see them all again till the end up April. Everyone has different rankings of favorites for each of the models but most will agree the 787 is the most versatile. They are all pretty unique. With that said, if I was in your shoes I’d still pick up the c9 (I think it has 6 days left in the shop). A few million credits is so small amount considering the amount you can collect from the Circuit Experiences and any of the big three races (Sardegna 727,000 credits in 25 minutes , Spa 1.5 million credits in 1 hour & Le Manz 825,000 credits in 30 minutes)

Worst case scenario, if you’re not a fan can always sell it later and recoup. By the time the others come back you’ll most definitely have enough to purchase all of them

Last edited:
The C9 will do the job. That's what I used.

Darn it, need to wait till April before the 787B or the R92CP will appear again in Legend Cars?! I had driven the C9 in GTS before (LH Time Trial DLC), so I want to try something else. With that said, I did bite the bullet and purchased the C9 yesterday. I hope it feels and drives even better in GT7 than in GTS.

I would love to pick up the F1 GTR (even though it's heavier and less powerful stock than the C9), but at 11.4 mil, it's way out of my price range.... :lol:

I'm currently working on the Fuji race, which seems to be 10x harder than what Willow Springs was. After not being able to find any good setup online for the C9 at Fuji, I started working on my own setup. Fuji is a tricky track to set up. It's got a prodigious long straight but with a very tight section at the end (way too tight IMO). It's one of my least favorite tracks for sure (really hate that tight section)....

Anyhow, the long front straight means that the car needs low downforce and high hp to achieve good top speed (too much downforce raises the PP anyway). The leading AI cars can reach close to 200 mph at the end of the front straight without drafting (on hard difficulty), so the setup needs to be able to achieve that kind of speed if I hope to pass the AI cars on the front straight. However, low downforce along with high hp means that the car will be very loose in the tight section, where you can lose a lot of time without a good setup, so the setup needs to provide good mechanical grip. I find the main challenge with the C9 (or any other Group C racer) at Fuji is to prevent power oversteer exiting the corners, but I think I got most of that dialed out now. So far, I've got a setup that I think should be good enough to win the race in the dry (hopefully 🤞), but it can still be slightly sketchy in the dreaded tight section. It's not bad now but could be better, so I'm still fine tuning it.

Contrary to popular opinion, I find Willow Springs pretty easy, compared to the other two, and I'm racing on hard too.
I believe it's just a matter of understanding the flow of the track, that's very peculiar.
The Escudo is fast but very unstable under braking, so forget late hanging on the brakes braking or even some trail braking, not for everyone, including me.
A Gr C on mediums, you can sacrifice top speed and acceleration for more cornering speed and no stops. Simple

I've just come 1st at Red Bull and Fuji with the Nissan GT-R GT500 '99 (Pennzoil) that's on sale now.
First 5 laps racing softs - last 5 laps Intermediates - FM2/3
Had to try a couple of times to get rain at the right time.

This was only on Medium difficulty setting though.

PS. I only started playing a month ago, which is the reason I've had to attempt this without a group C car

Last edited:
Now that I’ve won Big Willow and Fuji on hard in the C9 with relatively big margins (see my posts in the other Café Menu 43 thread), I'm also starting to think that it might be possible with the Supra GT500 if it’s got the right tune and setup 🤔

I still have the Red Bull Ring to do, but difficulty-wise so far, Fuji was more difficult than Big Willow mainly due to the variable weather and the fact that it’s just a more technical and challenging track than Big Willow. However, if you have the right setup in a capable car, it should be no more difficult than Big Willow, especially you don't care for the CRB.

I am Still trapped on this menu, got to the point where I don't want to go back and re visit it.
Was just thinking I may have another go tonight, then thought "do I really want to".

I beat this menu book with the CLK LM, no assists (yes, no ABS either just to keep it realistic, it should be easier with ABS). I should also note here that I’m not the fastest driver around so your experiences may vary. (I use a controller and I’m B-S on sport mode, usually 3 seconds off the top drivers, please don’t roast me)

I detuned its power a bit (around 571hp, only with the ECU. Decreasing power also helps your fuel economy) and added some ballast to the front (smallest amount I could, all the way into the front). I have found it to be a nice compromise between ruining the already severely understeery handling of the group c cars and turning them into boats, or tuning up a GT500 Supra or a rally car just for it to guzzle fuel like a ****ing cruise ship.

The basic strategy is to drive it like you stole it and also save fuel as tactically as possible (fuel 6 on twisty sections and fuel 1 on every straight) so that you can have a shorter pitstop and lose less time to the Group C cars. Pitting around lap 7 or 8 of every event here is the most ideal strat I’ve managed to find.

Only the Willow Springs race is (basically) impossible to win. I will touch on that later in this wall of text.

The race in Red Bull Ring is the easiest one. Every AI driver is on severe limp mode with their fuel and they will all make a pitstop. Latest being a 787B on Lap 9. You need to be fast enough to close up to the Group C cars and also pray to god that the Escudo holds them up as long as possible. I do not know if it rains in this race since I won it in my first try and never tried it again. I should note that I don’t remember if you’re able to no-stop this race with the CLK

The race in Fuji Speedway is winnable if it rains at the right time. (In almost all of my attempts it rained. Maybe there is a chance it will be dry through the whole race, in that case idk if all the group c cars make a pit stop). Thankfully the drivers of the Group C cars aren’t as smart as the AI in the Gr.1 race on the same track so they will aquaplane off the circuit when it rains. You need to save your fuel like it’s gonna be a dry event until the rain hits the track so you can have a way shorter pitstop and lose very little time against the AI. Pitting 1 lap early and losing 8-9 seconds on inters is always better than aquaplaning off the circuit at every corner in sector 3 and losing 20 seconds on slicks.

Now the hardest one: Willow Springs.

The only way to win this race is by pitting as late as possible while consistently being very close within the fastest laptime of the fastest car on track and hoping to god that each and every single one of the group c cars get held up behind a backmarker and form a train. Otherwise you’re not winning this event. This is how I was able to win it and my god it was absolutely satisfying. Trust me, I detuned an R92CP to 800PP and I was multiple seconds per lap slower than my CLK attempt. Granted I do not know how to abuse PP limits the best way like Praiano but I do know a thing or two.

I think (frustratingly) there's a great deal of luck involved with winning each of these races... I've finished them (on hard) after quite a break from gt7 relatively quickly with the 787B, using a praino tune and just adjusting it slightly for different tires/top speed etc. Willow springs I just kept circulating and before I'd ran out of ideas I got one race where the rest of the field pitted, I was on hards and won comfortably no stopping. It helps that the rest of the field really struggle to pass back markers. Both RBR and fuji I've started on inters and managed to no stop the whole race whilst all the others pitted... Just gotta hope for the right conditions and right choice of strategy each time...

I used the Escudo for those races and just kept everything stock except for a power restrictor. It was pretty easy and I felt I should have used a different car.
Hi how did you get hold of the Escudo ? Used cars ?

I think (frustratingly) there's a great deal of luck involved with winning each of these races... I've finished them (on hard) after quite a break from gt7 relatively quickly with the 787B, using a praino tune and just adjusting it slightly for different tires/top speed etc. Willow springs I just kept circulating and before I'd ran out of ideas I got one race where the rest of the field pitted, I was on hards and won comfortably no stopping. It helps that the rest of the field really struggle to pass back markers. Both RBR and fuji I've started on inters and managed to no stop the whole race whilst all the others pitted... Just gotta hope for the right conditions and right choice of strategy each time...
I find getting hold of these car’s very difficult either expensive or you have to get lucky in used cars ?
Would I be correct on this ?

I find getting hold of these car’s very difficult either expensive or you have to get lucky in used cars ?
Would I be correct on this ?
Fortunately for me I already owned the 787B and Sauber C9 as they're 2 of my favourite cars. 787B is the better choice as you barely have to consider fuel usage in any of these races. They're both Legend cars so it's just a case of waiting until they become available I'm afraid...

Fortunately for me I already owned the 787B and Sauber C9 as they're 2 of my favourite cars. 787B is the better choice as you barely have to consider fuel usage in any of these races. They're both Legend cars so it's just a case of waiting until they become available I'm afraid...
Thanks very much
I thought so
I’ll keep looking
It’s the American track I’m struggling on other two I’ve managed to finish 3rd.

Gave it a go at WS yesterday with my trusty Nismo PENNZOIL GT-R GT500, what ? It is close to the recommend car, isn't it ?

Finished don't know where but far far away from the top split, and then I've watched which cars they were using. Ah!! Ok I am not that bad, it's also because they use very specific cars 😅

So gave it another go tonight with the 962C and suddenly, everything is much easier. Finished 2nd just behind Kokubun, if I would have made less mistakes, I would have won. (In fact I was even in front of him at a moment, but failed to the pressure)

Have to try again tomorrow. And maybe fine a better tune, I've just floored the power, put on RS hards and added enough ballast to go just below 800PP.

Not sure on what difficulty I am trying, must be "normal"

Last edited:
What is the AI strategy for Big Willow and pit loss? I can’t do a 1 stop but might win with a 1 stop if I can learn the flipping course correctly

What is the AI strategy for Big Willow and pit loss? I can’t do a 1 stop but might win with a 1 stop if I can learn the flipping course correctly
1-) if you can’t do a one stop or less, you aren’t winning this race (unless you’ve found a silver bullet car)
2-) the important cars (group c cars) will only pit once around lap 7-8-9 or none and their pit lap depends on if they are held by traffic or if they started pushing

Last edited:
The CLK-LM should be appearing very soon in the legendary dealership which is what I used to clear this menu awhile back. That was the first legendary car I bought and I’ll definitely grab a duplicate when it does show. It also rocks at the 800pp Spa event.

Back