New 2020 Tesla Roadster

Yeah, especially when you take a Lamborghini Diablo through a traffic jam. :P
I didn't say any place, or for anyone. :P I don't live where there are traffic jams; that's a life choice I wouldn't make with any car, for more reasons than just the traffic.

On the notion of performance, in my life there's little to no practical benefit to shifting faster than I am able to myself or taking away the need to operate a clutch. It could be different if I had a track car or did serious 4x4ing. I have little use or desire for a really quick car, either. I can hardly stretch out my diminutive Ninja's performance on anything but the primary highways here.

Getting back to the topic, I wonder how soon it will be before we see sporty EVs closer to the original Roadster, and when a company will offer something focused more on involvement and rewarding dynamics instead of impressive numbers. It seems like the way things are headed, your average consumers may adopt EVs while enthusiasts will proportionally grow to become the market for ICE vehicles until they're forced out of production.

It has to do with aerodynamics. Interesting shapes with sharp lines rarely provide the lowest coefficient of drag.
Of course, still, these new generations of cars will be far more efficient than the existing ones thanks mainly to their powerplants, not aerodynamics alone, so why they should all look like Cars 3 models? There is not a single original styling statement in this car.

Of course, still, these new generations of cars will be far more efficient than the existing ones thanks mainly to their powerplants, not aerodynamics alone, so why they should all look like Cars 3 models? There is not a single original styling statement in this car.

With electric power, every advantage is extremely important when it comes to increasing range. If they can extend the overall range by just a couple of miles, it's worth it since that seems to be the biggest sticking point with EVs.

I agree the car doesn't look particularly interesting, but if they want to hit 600 miles of range and 250 mph, the aerodynamics need to be on point.

If you can make something at home, it doesn't mean the result won't suck.
James May has made a full-sized motorcycle that actually runs entirely out of Meccano parts. Needless to say its top speed was 25mph, which it could only reach going down the hill.

By the way, not sure about ICEs, but you can make fully functional transmissions out of Lego nowadays.

Mm you are right, but if the construction/design is simple enough that people with too much spare time can do then imagine what a big cooperation can do. They have access to cnc mills with super precision and can manufacture combustion engines that can hit 30k miles(metric) if it is not a lemon. Imagine how good an EV will be with that precision/ manufacture tolerances. But the thing I am still questioning is how clean the electricity will be and how good the local enviroment will be when the demand skyrockets for precious metals for the batteries if we dont move to some other tech in this aspect.

With electric power, every advantage is extremely important when it comes to increasing range. If they can extend the overall range by just a couple of miles, it's worth it since that seems to be the biggest sticking point with EVs.

I agree the car doesn't look particularly interesting, but if they want to hit 600 miles of range and 250 mph, the aerodynamics need to be on point.

250 mph is a vain goal to begin with in the real world. Give me the car that goes 600 miles, is enjoyable to drive at 80-100 mph and I can distinguish in a parking lot.

250 mph is a vain goal to begin with in the real world. Give me the car that goes 600 miles, is enjoyable to drive at 80-100 mph and I can distinguish in a parking lot.

Top speed numbers sell cars. It's why things like Chiron and that Koenigsegg exist and why Hennessey is building that stupid car that probably will never work. We are in a golden age right now of top speed vehicles and the race to break the 300 mph barrier is on. Even if that speed is never usable, people will buy those cars because they're capable of the speed and they brag about it.

in my life there's little to no practical benefit to shifting faster than I am able to myself or taking away the need to operate a clutch.
To be quite honest, there's no benefit to it in my life either. Like there's no practical benefit to owning a car that goes faster than the law will allow. However, that doesn't keep me from admiring cars that can do crazy things.

I've seen fridges with more personality... the current electric car body styling language is so bland and boring.
why they should all look like Cars 3 models? There is not a single original styling statement in this car.
I agree the car doesn't look particularly interesting
Gotta say that I really like how simple, clean and modest this car's look is. The only example of similarly modest design I can remember is Aston Martin DB10.

Mm you are right, but if the construction/design is simple enough that people with too much spare time can do then imagine what a big cooperation can do.
Something along the lines of these:
2017-03-07_Geneva_Motor_Show_0949.JPG

Porsche_Mission_E.jpg

Tesla_roadster_2020_prototype.jpg

But the thing I am still questioning is how clean the electricity will be and how good the local enviroment will be when the demand skyrockets for precious metals for the batteries if we dont move to some other tech in this aspect.
Now that's a question worth raising. Batteries are toxic, and so is their production. Unless a "greener" battery development technology is invented, a switch to EVs will barely benefit the environment, if it will benefit at all.

Top speed numbers sell cars.
I think what's gonna sell Roadster is its acceleration, not top speed. Agera RS already got past 270mph mark, which Roadster won't reach.

Top speed numbers sell cars. It's why things like Chiron and that Koenigsegg exist and why Hennessey is building that stupid car that probably will never work. We are in a golden age right now of top speed vehicles and the race to break the 300 mph barrier is on. Even if that speed is never usable, people will buy those cars because they're capable of the speed and they brag about it.

Remember the villain's speech to Speed Racer? Building fast cars is not about winning or speed, its about acquiring valuable and collectible commodities for those who can... (evil laughter):lol: ;)

Just have selectable engine sounds in the interior and exterior speakers, ummm LFA sound pack, and I'm in :)

worked out ok for the i8

I think that some of the metrics that Musk announced for this car aren't in the prototype, but rather projections of what the final product in 2020 will have. Musk doesn't present it like that, but that's how I see it. The only real metric that they were able to show was the 1.9s 0-60 acceleration, as they were able to demonstrate to the people who put in a 50k deposit post-event. Call me a skeptic, but unless there is concrete and empirical evidence for those numbers, I'm taking the whole thing with a grain of salt.

What do you mean with the real metric? Maybe I am wrong in assuming that you are talking about 0 - 60mph?

I think that some of the metrics that Musk announced for this car aren't in the prototype, but rather projections of what the final product in 2020 will have. Musk doesn't present it like that, but that's how I see it. The only real metric that they were able to show was the 1.9s 0-60 acceleration, as they were able to demonstrate to the people who put in a 50k deposit post-event. Call me a skeptic, but unless there is concrete and empirical evidence for those numbers, I'm taking the whole thing with a grain of salt.
0 - 60mph is metric? Really? >>> United States customary units or Imperial
0 - 96.59kph is metric! >>> Metric system.

Unless they mean 0 - 60kph, which doesn't make any sense in terms of acceleration of a car when you want to let people know how fast a car accelerates. It's common to use 0 - 60mph or 0 - 62mph or 0 - 100kph.

Last edited:
What do you mean with the real metric? Maybe I am wrong in assuming that you are talking about 0 - 60mph?

0 - 60mph is metric? Really? >>> United States customary units or Imperial
0 - 96.59kph is metric! >>> Metric system.

Unless they mean 0 - 60kph, which doesn't make any sense in termse of acceleration of a car when you want to let people know how fast a car accelerates. It's common to use 0 - 60mph or 0 - 62mph or 0 - 100kph.

By 'metrics' I mean the measurements or numbers that they claimed, not denoting to the SI system. I should've clarified that. But my other points still remain.

By 'metrics' I mean the measurements or numbers that they claimed, not denoting to the SI system. I should've clarified that. But my other points still remain.
Tesla is an American company. They measure in the Imperial system. So it's MPH.

Okay, I thought you were talking about the metric system. You were talking about the numbers without classifiying these numbers in a certain system.

I believe that the Tesla Roadster 2 is capable of reaching 60mph in only 1.9 sec.

The developers of the Elextra say that their car can do 100kph in less than 2.3 sec. So, the Tesla Roadster is probably going to hit 62mph in 2.0 - 2.1 sec.

Last edited:
Tesla is an American company. They measure in the Imperial system. So it's MPH.

But then the question is, do they design the car using metric or imperial systems? I think I know which they use without even guessing. :P I would be so surprised if anybody even a company in US that would still cling to the imperial system there :P

But then the question is, do they design the car using metric or imperial systems? I think I know which they use without even guessing. :P I would be so surprised if anybody even a company in US that would still cling to the imperial system there :P
Lots of companies still cling to Imperial here. We sell food by the pound, we measure in lbs/oz, tons, etc. The only reference to metric I've seen is...Honestly I can't even remember. We still use MPH, gallons/quarts/pints too.

But then the question is, do they design the car using metric or imperial systems? I think I know which they use without even guessing. :P
In this case, that would be a contradiction. :P
Designing a car using metric and announcing figures in imperial? Mmmm.

0 - 60 to probably mph which is still imperial as far as I know. But you already know that. :D

Just wanted to point out that 620 miles (of Roadster's range on one charge) approximately equals 1000 kilometers. Still, that doesn't prove which measuring system Tesla uses.

(imo imperial measuring system is rudimentary and only exists to trouble people who use SI nowadays)

Just wanted to point out that 620 miles (of Roadster's range on one charge) approximately equals 1000 kilometers. Still, that doesn't prove which measuring system Tesla uses.

(imo imperial measuring system is rudimentary and only exists to trouble people who use SI nowadays)
It is not what Tesla is using, it is what the journalists are using. In this case imperial. If they used metric, the figures would have been, 0 - 100kph and a range of approximately of 1000km.

Even Elon Musk uses 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds during the introduction verbally. And visually.

tesla roadster 2.jpg

So it is safe to say, that they use the (American) imperal system.

Last edited:
Okay, I thought you were talking about the metric system. You were talking about the numbers without classifiying these numbers in a certain system.

I believe that the Tesla Roadster 2 is capable of reaching 60mph in only 1.9 sec.

The developers of the Elextra say that their car can do 100kph in less than 2.3 sec. So, the Tesla Roadster is probably going to hit 62mph in 2.0 - 2.1 sec.
It is true that Tesla claims a 0-60 of 1.9 seconds, but 2.0 to 2.1 sounds more plausible, so I'm not really in firm disagreement on their claimed acceleration figure.

It's the other claims like the top speed and the range that leave me feeling skeptical, given the current state of lithium ion technology. This is why I think these other claims are projections of what the base model will have in 2020, I highly doubt that the prototype shown at the event actually has those top speed and range specs.

It is true that Tesla claims a 0-60 of 1.9 seconds, but 2.0 to 2.1 sounds more plausible, so I'm not really in firm disagreement on their claimed acceleration figure.

It's the other claims like the top speed and the range that leave me feeling skeptical, given the current state of lithium ion technology. This is why I think these other claims are projections of what the base model will have in 2020, I highly doubt that the prototype shown at the event actually has those top speed and range specs.
A little over three years and we will find out.

The numbers I believe are achievable:
  • 0 - 60mph in 1.9 secondes
  • 250mph (but for how long before everything overheats)

The number I have my doubt about
  • 650 mile on a single charge (maybe this is under the most ideal circumstances)

Never mind!

Well I mean... it's something you could pretty much guess. It has a battery double the size of a Model S so it's not hugely surprising that it can go twice as far.
Is it that simple when it comes to the range an electric car can drive with certain batteries? With a gasoline/diesel engine; the same car, same weight, same conditions, but with 50L fuel tank and the after that the same car with 100L fuel tank doubles the amount of km this car can drive (or is it ride), theoretically. But is it with electric cars and batteries as simple and straight forward as with ICE's? It should but I wonder ..............

Last edited:
As good as that looks, I was hoping for an affordable Tesla, something just above MX-5 and GT86 performance, but just under Cayman/4C to keep it affordable.

It's so much harder to make something affordable. You have to make so many compromises in performance and materials, it takes years of careful sourcing and fine tuning... how much cheaper can we make that part till it breaks? How many cycles can we get out of this switch? It's not something that a company that is on the bleeding edge of technology is going to be even capable of doing. They're inventing some of this stuff as we go (and not in small increments), they have no idea how long it'll last. It's not like they're sourcing typical car parts that are well tested for everything except the motor and the battery, no they're messing with the door handles... they're messing with all of it.

I don't think Elon really worries about the price of anything when he's ready to roll out a new concept. He just figures out that it's possible and hopes people will buy it at whatever the price will be. Sometimes it seems like Tesla is off by really wide margins on what they think the cost is realistically. They're flying by the seat of their pants.

Is it just me, or can anyone else see 718 Cayman in the rear profile?

img_20171117_001808-jpg.691473

2017-Porsche-718-Cayman-S-rear-end-in-motion-660x440.jpg
There's a reason the greenhouse tapers laterally. It's good for aerodynamics. If you look closely, quite a few cars do this, but obviously sports cars can afford to do it more abruptly.

It barely makes a difference, at least in the work I do. Units are handled automatically a lot of the time, so metric doesn't make anything easier. The best units are the ones that make sense to you.

Back