New Drift Competition Ideas- Call your Cars Now!!!

• Thread starter Loon
  • 169 comments
Ok, so it was a great idea, but headed in the direction the WDS seems to be headed.

Well I like both ideas, if no more new ones come up we may have a vote and try to get one going, at least for a little while.👍

EDIT: Well that was strange, I don't think i've ever seen that happen before.

After watching some d1gp, I have come up with a few suggestions concerning D1gp/Formula D style.
It appears that TIRE SMOKE and a clean line, are most important high HP cars, such as: FC, FD, s15,S!4,S13, rx8, soarer/chaser, supra, s2000, and two 300ps Hachi Rokus

A good line is required for low HP cars such as: Miatas, most Hachi Rokus including one160ps one, and other small cars.
A line is the 100% most important part in judging, followed by angle compared to power, and finally, crowd appeal. Im telling you this so we can have the most realistic judging, and a real fun time :D

I only saw a few cars up over 500PS, and one spun out on its first turn. Most cars had 400-450.
EDIT: one 800ps s15, was shown too :| unthinkable (jk)

Suzukua, TC, Infineon, Fuji and a few othr courses are ACTUAL d1gp ones, so were gonna have to improvise with traack segments that seem to be like they could be D1gp. ONCE again, this is general info, and not meant to be offensive (if it is) or some crazy kid's rules...

Thio and from the GTPDC rulings
SCORING

-Exhibition Drift Scoring Procedure-

Points will be awarded out of the maximum amount listed below:

1. Smoke (5 points)
2. Style (10 points)
3. Angle (10 points)
4. Control (10 points)

Explained...

1. Smoke makes the drift more exciting. The more the better.
2. Style consists of how a person controls their car differently from the average drifter (how they drift the course). Points are awarded for uniqueness... etc...
3. Angle... the more the better. Because the above is completely left to personal judgment no point scale will be developed, but judges are expected to judge in an unbiased fashion.
4. Control consists of how smooth the car is being handled while drifting, Points are taken off for wall hitting/sliding, lots of stuttered counter-steer, poor line taking, etc...

The challengers must decide where the judges are expected to judge drifting. This must be stated in the first or second post of each challenge so judges can do there job fairly and efficiently. Specify one of the following:

1. Just in corners
2. Linking some corners without drifting in straights
3. Drifting the entire lap

If nothing is specified, individual judges may count drifting in straights and linking corners as either positive or zero points in style and control categories, but not in smoke or angle.

-Racing Drift Scoring Procedure-

Points will be awarded out of the maximum amount listed below:

1. Style (5 points)
2. Time (10 points)
3. Speed (10 points)
4. Control (10 points)

If more than two wheels leave the track the challenger must enter another video.

Explained...

1. Style consists of how a person controls their car differently from the average drifter (how they drift race the course). It also includes a score for smoke (the more smoke is not better), unnecessary smoke as well as not enough smoke will count toward point deductions, but in general smoke from four wheels rather than two and moderate levels of smoke will be what the judges are looking for…
2. Time will be scored on how fast the drifter is going. The faster competitor will receive a score of 10, while the slower one will receive a deduction of 1 point for every second lost to the opponent. For fractions of a second this proportion will be used in determining points.
3. Speed: I have done the scoring in this way because exit and average speed take more skill than entrance speed.
1. Average exit speed in all sectors with corners will be 40% of the score for speed
2. Average average speed in all sectors with corners will be given 40% of the score for speed.
3. Average entrance speed in all sectors will be given 20% of the score for speed. In each of the above areas, the person with the higher average speed will receive a score of ten and for every MPH the slower individual will receive a deduction of .2 points in exit and average speed and .1 points in entrance speed.
4. Control will include line taking and slip angle, and will be judged by individual judges due to its nature. 40% of the score will be devoted to line taking, which involves proper apexing and the choice of a well chosen line (one that utilizes the road to the driver’s greatest advantage). 40% will be devoted to slip angle. Here the greater the angle does not necessarily grant a high score. Rather, the way that the slip angle is used will be of more importance, and things like clean exits and fast but controlled entries will be rewarded. 20% of the score will be reserved for deductions resulting from things like hitting walls and stuttered counter-steer (if these do not occur then they receive the full 20%).

*Speed and time will be determined by a submission of the following from the analyzer: speed, average speed, sector times, and lap time. Only the head judge will score this portion.*

In any moment, any of the statments above may change, depending on the situation. This post will be updated as soon as it possibly can. Some new points may be added, which will be in bold and at the end of the statement, have a date upon when it was added.
Thank you Thio and it is all here

That is cool! I never have seen that before, well you probably had to dig it up...I seriously think that smoke doesnt need to matter on a low powered hachi....

JUDGING

-[Becoming a Judge]-

->Requirements<-

1. Must be recommended by GTP community members.

->Responsibilities<-

1. Turn in scores a week after entries have been sent to judges.
2. Evaluating entries with an unbiased vision and give an adequate score upon what s/he think is the best score for that entry.
3. Being a positive influence in the GTP community.

->Rules<-

* Judges cannot compete in the events. Exception: they can make an entry for the competition, but it will not be scored.
* Judges have the responsibility to evaluate entries based on what they think is the best score for the entry. If there is any sign of a biased judge toward one entry, they will be dismissed from duty.
* Judges must be available for judging a competition or challenge. If a judge is not available, then they must provide a reason why. Unless excused, they must be available at all times.
* Judges will have the responsibility of participating at least in 4 events, either in a GTPDC or a GTP Challenge over a two month period.If it is not met, then they are dismissed until the next round for a new panel of judges.
* Once judges are obliged to an event, either a GTPDC or a GTP Challenge, they are bound to fulfill their duty unless there has been a terrible situation happening with the judge. If so, the Coordinator of the event must be contacted immediately and must be excused from the Coordinator.

-[Becoming a Head Judge]-

->Requirements<-

1. Must be recommended by GTP community members.
2. Must be an established GTP memberfor more than half a year.
3. Must have a drift video or display an adequate knowledge of drifting.
4. Must be able to communicate with other judges and handle events.

->Responsibilities<-

1. Handle events.
2. Keep event(s) in check, making sure everything is on time (scores, entries, due dates, etc.)
3. Evaluating entries with an unbiased vision and give an adequate score upon what s/he think is the best score for that entry.
4. Being a positive influence in the GTP community.

->Rules<-

* Head judges cannot compete in the events. Exception: they can make an entry for the competition, but it will not be scored.
* Head judges should be able to help each other out if the one in charge is in need of help.
* Head judges have the responsibility to evaluate entries based on what they think is the best score for the entry. If there is any sign of a biased head judge toward one entry, they will be dismissed from duty.
* Once head judges are obliged to an event, they are bound to fulfill their duty unless there has been an unexpected situation on the judge. If this is the case, then contact one of the other head judges to handle the event. Pass on the necessary information (scores, entries, etc.) to make sure that the transfer of power is smooth.

*GTPDC*

* The Coordinator (1 head judge) must manage the GTPDC while the others assist.
* The Coordinator must send the entries to the panel of judges on the GTPDC.
* The Coordinator must compile the scores and post the results along with the entries.

*GTP Challenges*

* The head judge that has been contacted about the challenge will be the Coordinator. They will manage the challenge and make sure that everything is going as specified.
* The Coordinator must manage the GTP Challenge while the others assist.
* The Coordinator for the challenge must send the entries to the panel of judges on the GTP Challenge.
* The Coordinator must compile the scores and post the results along with the entries.

If you want to know how the entries will be scored, please look further down the thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are four positions for Head Judge and ten positions for the panel of judges. Here is the most current update (August 2004):

Head Judges

1. bengee
2. BreakerOhio
3. silviadrifter
4. Thio

Panel of Judges

1. battle_stage
2. bustwave.
3. Der Alta
4. ForcedInduction
5. nightkids4ever---------- OH SNAP!!!
6. Ottoman
7. Ryen49
8. Sheron
9. vinkento
10. ---------------

There will be a thread every nine weeks for a new Panel of Judges and new Head Judges. This is to help keep the Panel of Judges fresh.

I hope to see many new judges in the future!

Drift on...

-Thio

In any moment, any of the statments above may change, depending on the situation. This post will be updated as soon as it possibly can. Some new points may be added, which will be in bold and at the end of the statement, have a date upon when it was added.
Thankls again

Because Kai doesn't work for some of us. I hate it because it is laggy sometimes that it gives me a huge headache while playing.

The whole other drift thing stopped because its a whole course thing. Whole course I feel is pointless. Once you can't really link the drifts anymore, the show is over. Thats why the new D1GP/Formula D comp would kick total ass.

What happen before?
We'll all posted at the exact time, thats never happened with me before.
Why doesnt everyone man up and get on kai? Seriously...

As Drift King and nk4e has said, its just not going to work for some of us. For one, I don't have a tv right next to my computer, and I'm not going to move it every night and have to deal with a laggy game. Also, I have dial up so it would really be laggy for me.

Now that I've seen all the rules and requirments for the GTPDC, I'm not so sure about it anymore, do you think we have enough people to do this?

Right now, I'm more in favor a D1GP style a contest. But thats just my opinion.

EDIT: Would y'all like for me to make a poll, asking which people would like?

Why doesnt everyone man up and get on kai? Seriously...

If I didn't live in Europe I probably would be (PAL version incompatible.. plus high ping)... Although I prefer drifting tuned cars to be honest.

Here's hoping that there'll be proper online functionality in the next GT, but I suspect I can't race you even then because of PAL/NTSC incompability (which I'm sure they'll keep implementing)... unless somebody wanna send me an NTSC PS3 anytime soon ;)

Ske
If I didn't live in Europe I probably would be (PAL version incompatible.. plus high ping)... Although I prefer drifting tuned cars to be honest.

Here's hoping that there'll be proper online functionality in the next GT, but I suspect I can't race you even then because of PAL/NTSC incompability (which I'm sure they'll keep implementing)... unless somebody wanna send me an NTSC PS3 anytime soon ;)

Let me get mine first, then we'll talk.:sly:

While your at it, send me one too. 👍

Yeah, sure thing.👍:scared:

Well I'm going to put a poll asking for what y'all would like. Either the GTPDC comes back, or we form a D1GP style of contest. Sound good?

We should restart the DPT. The only problem is that we would need judges. We could take turns actually running the contest itself.

I wouldn't mind judging but lets hope I get a better internet connection. :tu[: and whats the DPT?

i like the d1gp idea, but why would you want to limit it to d1gp tracks only? thats lame. there are tons of good sections in the tracks we have.
but we would need some judges who know what they are doing and looking for in a drift. We would need to find some RELIABLE judges(another problem with the gtpdc), and the participants would have to enter in every event, or things will go downhill fast. There will need to be some simple sections, and some harder ones to show that the driver can make their car compete everywhere and to also show their skill.
but the thing is, everyone will say they will be committed, but when the times comes, they wont be. i understand that if we have a points system and they miss an event then thats on them, it will mean they fall behind.
if everyone will actually commit themselves then it could turn out pretty good.
well those are my jumbled thoughts on this. :crazy:

Yeah, I'm not sure limiting the tracks to just D1 will be good, because as you said there are a lot of good tracks to drift.

Instead of having a panel of judges, we could keep it to votes, and whatever place you come in is how many points you get, like in D1. I think that will solve the problem of people not entering.

How do y'all feel about anonymity, should everyone know who's who.

And if we go with this idea, how long should the season last?

well, the only bad part of everyone knowing who everyone is we will have to watch the voting(easier to cheat, IE: hey X, do me a favor and vote for me every week! ok? thanks!). i know someone hates me for something(thus they will try to make me lose if im close to winning), but i dont think they are still on gtp. but besides that, i dont care really if anyone knows who i am.
maybe we should limit the votes to who is competing? or like who is competing + a few seniors who arent competing.
season length... say 5 sections? that would be a max of 100 points, but i dont think anyone would come too close to it.
what about the tracks? will it all be in a schedule? like First Week of June we will be visiting Suzuka, Second week Fuji, etc. maybe we could vote for tracks/sections before the season starts.

How about restarting the photo comp because not everyone can afford a digicam, so taking a snap and putting it on a computer via a memory stick is much better. just my opinion

well, the only bad part of everyone knowing who everyone is we will have to watch the voting(easier to cheat, IE: hey X, do me a favor and vote for me every week! ok? thanks!). i know someone hates me for something(thus they will try to make me lose if im close to winning), but i dont think they are still on gtp. but besides that, i dont care really if anyone knows who i am.
maybe we should limit the votes to who is competing? or like who is competing + a few seniors who arent competing.
season length... say 5 sections? that would be a max of 100 points, but i dont think anyone would come too close to it.
what about the tracks? will it all be in a schedule? like First Week of June we will be visiting Suzuka, Second week Fuji, etc. maybe we could vote for tracks/sections before the season starts.
It would be easier for people to cheat but, its not anonymous in the photo competitions, maybe we can try it here. If someone wins that shouldn't stand a chance then we'll know. Limiting the votes to entrants would work i think. 5 sections a season sounds good enough. I'd like to have it be a schedule, that's how it is in D1, they know what tracks and sections to expect. For each new season we could make a poll with all the courses, those 5 with the highest votes will be used.
How about restarting the photo comp because not everyone can afford a digicam, so taking a snap and putting it on a computer via a memory stick is much better. just my opinion

It is restarted, check in the photomode competition forum.👍

EDIT: Ok, the poll for the 2 major contest ideas is up. Go ahead and vote just so we can be sure that most everyone is cool with it.

It would be easier for people to cheat but, its not anonymous in the photo competitions, maybe we can try it here. If someone wins that shouldn't stand a chance then we'll know. Limiting the votes to entrants would work i think. 5 sections a season sounds good enough. I'd like to have it be a schedule, that's how it is in D1, they know what tracks and sections to expect. For each new season we could make a poll with all the courses, those 5 with the highest votes will be used.

It is restarted, check in the photomode competition forum.👍

EDIT: Ok, the poll for the 2 major contest ideas is up. Go ahead and vote just so we can be sure that most everyone is cool with it.

do you think that the susuki escudo is the best and fast 4wd car on gt4

The thread title caught my attention from the main GTP index.

well, the only bad part of everyone knowing who everyone is we will have to watch the voting(easier to cheat, IE: hey X, do me a favor and vote for me every week! ok? thanks!).

A very big problem a few months ago in the WDS. A community poll to determine running order works well if everyone can be trusted to be honest and impartial - unfortunately not everyone has the dignity and scruples to do so in an environment so impersonal and free of penalty as the internet.

A pretty good work-around if you have a decent number of entrants and insert the stipulation that they may not vote for their own performance.

I really did like the sound of the team idea that surfaced early on in this thread. That would be something this forum never really saw with GT4 (minus 1 GTPC team battle, if memory serves). Teams haven't been as influential in GT4 as they were with driftng in GT3, so it might be something fresh. Not everyone belongs to a team so it might spark the creation of some new ones.

I know at IDM when things were busy and bustling around the time of our second video release, there was a pretty large feeling of comraderie and accomplishment when it was done. That project was a great way to bring back some old faces and get everyone interested again - so maybe a little more team spirit and rivalry is needed around here to perk things up.

The use of teams might also keep the number of participants consistent. You could limit things to two entries per team, with each entry necessarily originating from a different member. It would allow the individual members of each team some down time so they wouldn't have to participate every week to maintain a high ranking.

...maybe it'd work, maybe not. Depends how many teams are formed and keep active.

oh, and tournaments!
That was something I'd always wanted to bring in before my PS2 expired. Something fairly short... say four events over the span of a month seemed reasonable to me. Quick turn-around means a lot of title defending and opportunity for new entrants to get in at regular intervals.
For judging, I had thought 3 judges could rank the videos from best to worst, then the average placement from the combined lists would determine final positioning and points payout.
It wouldn't require any sort of real scoring like the GTPDC did, just 3 impartial guys with the time to watch 10 or so short videos every week and order them, and one head judge to do 5 minutes worth of 3rd grade math.

The thread title caught my attention from the main GTP index.

Aww, man. When I saw you were in here I started jumping for joy.:dopey:

A very big problem a few months ago in the WDS. A community poll to determine running order works well if everyone can be trusted to be honest and impartial - unfortunately not everyone has the dignity and scruples to do so in an environment so impersonal and free of penalty as the internet.

I remember that, WDS 12 I think i was, I could be wrong though. Maybe we should start handing out free bannings to anyone who decides to cheat. Thats how it is in the WRS isn't it, could work here I'm sure.

I really did like the sound of the team idea that surfaced early on in this thread. That would be something this forum never really saw with GT4 (minus 1 GTPC team battle, if memory serves). Teams haven't been as influential in GT4 as they were with driftng in GT3, so it might be something fresh. Not everyone belongs to a team so it might spark the creation of some new ones.
Yup, that was an idea I brought up to try and get the ball rolling. And you hit the nail on the head with what I was hoping for from this idea. A big majority of the regulars here are on a team, those who aren't may strive to join one, or team up with others to form new ones.

The use of teams might also keep the number of participants consistent. You could limit things to two entries per team, with each entry necessarily originating from a different member. It would allow the individual members of each team some down time so they wouldn't have to participate every week to maintain a high ranking.

Also what I was thinking, that way those who couldn't or were burned out didn't have to enter, and most teams have a decent number of members.

oh, and tournaments!
That was something I'd always wanted to bring in before my PS2 expired. Something fairly short... say four events over the span of a month seemed reasonable to me. Quick turn-around means a lot of title defending and opportunity for new entrants to get in at regular intervals.
For judging, I had thought 3 judges could rank the videos from best to worst, then the average placement from the combined lists would determine final positioning and points payout.
It wouldn't require any sort of real scoring like the GTPDC did, just 3 impartial guys with the time to watch 10 or so short videos every week and order them, and one head judge to do 5 minutes worth of 3rd grade math.

Another good idea, the only thing I'm concerned about is having the people to judge it.

And one question, whatever competition we decide to set up, is anyone wanting to be a host? Because if not I'll do it. But if someone else would like to give it a go, fine by me.

well, if it has a big turnout, i would be willing to be a judge.
i dont really like the idea of bringing the gtpdc back. everyone complains about the sections being too long, so a whole track would give a few people a heart attack. plus we could use something new around here. so ill vote for d1gp type competition.

do you think that the susuki escudo is the best and fast 4wd car on gt4

Welcome to GTP, but this isn't exactly the best thread to make a post like that. What does it have to do with drift competition ideas?

Back