New Family Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 79 comments
  • 2,556 views
Do you have any pics of the interior?

I don't like the front very much, but the rear is pretty damn cool. What engine does it have?
 
Uncle & Aunt had a last generation RX300, so I know a little about these buggers. This current gen. turns a lot better as well.
 
*sigh*

Hooray over-glorified Camry Crossover!

Too bad you didn't go for the SRX...
 
*sigh*

Hooray over-glorified Camry Crossover!

Too bad you didn't go for the SRX...
The Harrier is far from a Camry Crossover. :sly:
 
Same chassis and engine with more leather? Okay. I guess its totally different...

They're decent, just not my cup o' tea. Too many Mom's that I don't particularly like drive 'em around here.
 
*sigh*

Hooray over-glorified Camry Crossover!

Too bad you didn't go for the SRX...

I was so going to say that.
 
My mom really wants one of those, I like the way they look too.
 
One more thing:

Clear tail lights are hideous. Someone tell Lexus please.
 
*sigh*

Hooray over-glorified Camry Crossover!

Too bad you didn't go for the SRX...

+1 The RX300 is garbage to me, I hate it with every fibre of my being. There are much better alternatives that are infinitly better. I'll even say that a GM product is better--that being the fantastic SRX. I know I lost points with you, but an RX300? :yuck:
 
Same chassis and engine with more leather? Okay. I guess its totally different...

They're decent, just not my cup o' tea. Too many Mom's that I don't particularly like drive 'em around here.
Same chassis and engine doesn't mean anything. GM doesn't share either to my knowledge, yet I'm seeing Chevrolets and GMCs looking far closer to each other than this is to a Camry.
 
GM's usually smart enough to design a chassis purposely built for a particular vehicle, take for example the Lambda vehicles who perform much the same way as the Toyota Highlander vs the RX330 (same damn thing + classy wrapper + more leather). See the Outlook vs Enclave here...

Everyone is guilty of it, some hide it better than others. For those of us in the know, its still a Camry on stilts with a few more cows on the inside.
 
GM's usually smart enough to design a chassis purposely built for a particular vehicle,

I've always wondered this: Where do they get the money to do such a thing?
 
GM's usually smart enough to design a chassis purposely built for a particular vehicle, take for example the Lambda vehicles who perform much the same way as the Toyota Highlander vs the RX330 (same damn thing + classy wrapper + more leather). See the Outlook vs Enclave here...

Everyone is guilty of it, some hide it better than others. For those of us in the know, its still a Camry on stilts with a few more cows on the inside.
So, why criticize Toyota for it when pretty much every GM does this?
Or do you hate Toyota merely because someone else is taking GM's thunder?
 
I'm not sure if its money, more or less, something that has become a by-product of things they've done over the decades. One could easily argue that the Epsilon chassis could support a crossover, effectively negating the need for Theta, but for some reason it just doesn't happen. Ford and Chrysler have pulled it off with the Fusion -> Edge and Avenger -> Journey, but Malibu -/-> Traverse.

So, why criticize Toyota for it when pretty much every GM does this?
Or do you hate Toyota merely because someone else is taking GM's thunder?

I do it because I can. I like pointing fingers.

That, and I guess I like the lower-level Highlander better than the RX? Who knows. People make a big stink about it all the time (platform sharing and the like), I don't find it to be a big deal.

If anything, Toyota/Lexus hides the relationship better than any other company.
 
If anything, Toyota/Lexus hides the relationship better than any other company.

I believe that VW/Lamborghini is a touch better. or the Kia/Hyundai even.
 
the RX 330 is an anodyne product. much like the camry that spawns it.

but it works for some people.
 
...
rx330-030908.jpg


...
If I was the person that owned that house, I'd wonder why you kept taking pictures of it all the time. :dopey:
 
Looks good to me, I'd drive it. Everyone has an opinion, but what matters is that you bought it and like it. (enough to buy) I have a honda pilot, not sure if that's in the same class but it has been a good vehicle to me. Congrats!
 
Do not want.

The RX is on my "most disliked" vehicle list, primarily because they're the "I've made it" vehicle of choice in the area. And people drive them like they're NOT gonna make it to work, or their kid's next appointment. I view the Highlander the EXACT same way, snob un-appeal included. I do feel the Lexus looks rather snobbish. It's driving around with it's nose in the air.

I guess if you're happy, that's all that matters. You're not gonna drive it like a bat outta hell, right?
 
Same chassis and engine doesn't mean anything. GM doesn't share either to my knowledge, yet I'm seeing Chevrolets and GMCs looking far closer to each other than this is to a Camry.
Are you kidding?

GMCs are identical in all ways except badging to Chevrolet trucks. The only reason GMC light trucks even exist is so that Pontiac/Olds/Buick/Caddy dealerships could sell trucks without a Chevy franchise.
 
What would you have gotten that's similar size-wise?

The obvious choice would be the Infiniti FX35 or the EX35 (if you like it), otherwise the BMW X3 would come in right after that. Personally speaking I'd be more apt to buying a Tiguan once that arrives, as it appears to have the most capability at the lowest price.

Thought:

How about the Land Rover LR2?

Damn me and my demands for off-road performance if I'm buying an "off-road" vehicle...
 
A 230hp 3.3-liter V6.

That's it? Underpowered anyone? :eek: Even Hyundai squeezed more BHP out of its 3.3L V6. :dopey:

The RX300 was cancelled in '03; this is the RX330.

Bah, same difference. ;)

As mentioned the SRX is too big - it's just a huge, huge vehicle (relatively). Honestly I hardly consider the two competitors; the SRX is more fodder for Lexus's GX470. Enclave is also absolutely huge - they're longer than the Tahoe and less maneuverable. You guys are in the wrong class. What would you have gotten that's similar size-wise?

Ok, Honda Pilot or the Toyota 4runner. Both are the absolute KING of that small/mid sized SUV market. The Pilot is one of the best riding SUVs in history--I love it to death. And the 4runner is just the business, looks fantastic, comfy, quick, and doesn't brand you a snob like a Lexus.

Honestly I'm surprised you guys have such strong opinions about this vehicle - they bore the HELL out of me. Someone said something about the clear tail lights - I agreed on the first six thousand I saw - now I don't even think about it anymore. They're everrrrrrrrrrrywhere!!

Clear taillights were acceptable on the Altezza/IS because it fit the car. Everything after that was rather ricerish. I don't even care for the clear tails on the Pilot. But at least I know I can snag a 2003-2004 model's tails and swap them out on the new models. :D
 
Your parents should have gone for a Range Rover or an XC90. It's a nice car, certainly, but not the best in its segment by a long shot.

M5Power
I raced a guy on the highway two nights ago up to 90mph.
Whoa up to 90mph, dude no way.
 
^ :lol:
 
Actually the XC90 was my top choice. It's probably the best vehicle in the class (for them), and used prices drop like rocks so we could've picked up an '06 (which the Lexus is) for like $3k less; maybe more. However, after the horrible experience we had with my first car - which was only about 50% the car's fault - my parents refused to even look at the brand. I don't blame them, really.
Not a fair comparison. A ('94?) 850 to a brand spanking new XC90. :(
 
Back