New Family Car

  • Thread starter Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 79 comments
  • 2,556 views
Doug, why did your parents not get a 80s Chevrolet Nova?
 
Those things must be hell to sell used since virtually no one goes into the used car market looking for one, and even fewer people stumble across it and say 'oooh, an eight-cylinder midsize-sedan! Exactly what I'm looking for!'

Those that are looking for an eight-cylinder midsize sedan are usually looking for an E39 540i. And rightly so.
 
Wow a Lexus RX!!! That's as about as exciting as a rock. Seriously how in the hell does the RX evoke such a discussion? The thing is meant to move people, not emotions.
 
Doug, why did your parents not get a 80s Chevrolet Nova?

Don't start with me.

and, M5Power I missed that it was your parents' car. I'm sorry.
 
I saw a sedan yesterday. Reminded me of you - and no one else (since no one else knows what they are). Had paper plates on it! Those things must be hell to sell used since virtually no one goes into the used car market looking for one, and even fewer people stumble across it and say 'oooh, an eight-cylinder midsize-sedan! Exactly what I'm looking for!'

I think I'm the only kind of idiot who stops his car, runs out screaming "W-EIGHT!!!" and proceeds to cover the window in a film of drool and other bodily fluids. The used market, as far as I can tell, hasn't been particularly kind to them. You can get nearly-new '04 models with not too many miles on 'em for less than $15K in most cases, the car costing over $40K when new.

They're a favorite with VW fans, and thats about it. So, if you live in Michigan, you won't have a hard time selling it. I think.
 
I think I'm the only kind of idiot who stops his car, runs out screaming "W-EIGHT!!!" and proceeds to cover the window in a film of drool and other bodily fluids.

I love those W8's myself but that's a bit excessive. :lol: I'd do that to an SL65, but not a Passat. Unless said Passat had a V10 or something godly similar. :sly: 👍
 
What's interesting about the W8 Passat is that despite its eight-cylinder engine, it's horsepower is only class-competitive among midsize sedans now. In fact it has just two more horsepower than today's V6 Camry. So people probably should shop it - they're just not aware of it.

...and this is my second 'new car' thread that has degenerated into a discussion of the Passat W8. Oddly both times it was mentioned as an alternative to the car purchased (two very different cars mind you!). Perhaps it is overlooked wrongfully and truly is everyman's car? :D

Maybe if it was in the estate and had 4motion AWD it would BE the perfect car? :sly:
 
All of them (the W8) had 4MOTION, but the sweet spot are the late "Sport" models with the six-speed manual.
 
Only you would consider an eight-cylinder all-wheel drive manual transmission midsize sedan to be the "sweet spot." :lol:

That's not true - I would too!

Just not a Passat.
 
The only other option at the time was what, the S4? Theres a bit of a price difference there...

Say VW was to stick a V8, AWD and a stick in the Passat CC to put it up against the Pontiac G8 GT... That would be a tough decision.
 
What other eight-cylinder all-wheel drive manual midsize sedan is there? I suppose the Audi S4, though good luck taking a family in one - I personally cannot fit in my own backseats.

Lose a little weight...jeez. :lol:


































I'm just kidding. :sly:
 
You tall people are weird. My cousin is your hight and he has so much trouble it's hilarious. His mom just got a G6 convertible (I had nothing to do with it) and he said the back seat sucked ass. I looked at the mile long wheelbase, the generous gap behind the front seat, and decided to sit behind myself. I was fine. Then he's like "Well let me get comfortable."

He's paying for my trip to the emergency room.
 
Whenever I'm piloting the Camry, I find it to be the exact opposite. I end up doing 10-15 over most of the time, which is odd, because I usually end up being about 5-10 under when I'm driving the Pontiac.
 
Back