New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 494 comments
I hope GT7 is them bringing back the best parts of the old games while adding but the standard features that are expected of a AAA racing game in 2021 plus a little Polyphony magic so we can all be amazed at this new way of enjoying cars that we didn't even know we wanted. But I think realistically it's going to be GT4: 2021 Edition, and while I love GT4 it's not a game that actually works terribly well by modern standards.
I don't care one bit because I've wanted a modern interpretation of GT4 for YEARS.
Teach people how car dynamics work by gamifying it, because it's ****ing complicated to read about but actually pretty fun to tinker with if you have specific goals and are being rewarded for meeting those goals.
F1 does this really well. It may not be a simulator but the explanations about car performance and setup changes were extremely helpful. It's done me a lot of good.

And to add... with Kaz saying they've got mucho info from Sport Mode, B-Spec is the perfect function to teach/inform/school non-Sport Mode players how to manage a car.
Applying the infor of short shifting, managing tyres, moving into slipstream to conserve and out of slipstream to brake.
AI need to match the B-Spec Bob. If my Bob gets tired, the AI competition should get tired.

One big Arcade pre-race feature we need: practice and qualifying. Press skip to start at the back or continue and lay down a time to see where you place.
All those features seen in lobbies and Sport Mode, offline players need those options as well.

Oh wow, so your point is that because it's a multiplayer game it's okay if the servers go down so you can't use the game for it's intended purpose?

Which again, still proves @ImaRobot right where it just becomes a coaster in a few years.
The only reason why Its online only at the moment is so that PD can detect cheating with the save data, yknow so that their Official FIA eports series isn't turned into piles of cheating mess, that's why the save data is tied to the servers. Once they decide they're ready to move on and shut down the servers they can push an update the severs that connection to the servers so you can save your game without having online connection. The only other thing I can see this affecting is downloading liveries.

I actually just wonder if people can directly make a suggestion to Kaz in these stuff rather than just asking questions?
It's too much to ask because there are relations to worry about but I wish for more than a one-way dialogue and some honesty in GTP interviews. It's a website that has been dedicated to the franchise since 2001; I think it deserves at least a little something like that (or maybe that's too entitled sounding idk). I really want all of the frustrations fans have been feeling to just be laid out plainly with very little sugarcoating. For example, Kaz has a really high opinion of GT's physics ("'I also think you’ll feel it to be more natural, even more-so than in GT Sport,' he explained" -the interview) but I wonder if he has tried any of the hardcore sims since that interview where he said he doesn't pay attention to other games. Suggesting he give one a try, rather than just asking if he has tried one, would be worth it so he can see what they have accomplished in terms of FFB and other car dynamics if he gives in. It may be disrespectful or something to imply other games are doing things better than his baby but some things just need to be said.

Lol, **** poor people, amirite? What's up with peasants thinking they could be playing vidya games when they should be slaving on the plantation to earn enough to eat?

I mean, Australia's internet is worse than that famously wealthy country Kazakhstan, so us Poors down here in Australia should just suck it up and not bother buying PS5s, right?
Calm down with the eagerness of prominence dude... I didn't say screw poor people, you said it.
I was talking about REALLY poor countries. Africa and the likes... Those people in general can't afford neither internet, nor a PS5, like it or not, that's how it is.
This link you posted doesn't say that Australia has no internet connection, nor is a poor country, you just have less bandwidth speed than other places. I understand this because its a massive country with very low population density so...

Last edited:
This would be great. I think there's absolutely potential for a deep and engaging game mode to be made here, it just needs to be a bit more complicated than "fast, faster, pass or pit". I think there's potential for a mode that teaches people how to tune a car based on feedback from the AI driver - if you correctly interpret the information during the practise session, make good changes to the setup and then give good strategy during the race then you win. And in doing so you also learn how to tune a car for yourself when you're driving and start having the same problems that the AI driver was telling you about.

This is the sort of tutorialisation I'd like to see more of. Teach people how car dynamics work by gamifying it, because it's ****ing complicated to read about but actually pretty fun to tinker with if you have specific goals and are being rewarded for meeting those goals.
Yeah, did write about the feedback part (more than GT5's simply "OK!") and some other parts for B-Spec, though didn't take into account about Practice Mode before (as dunno about it being mandatory or not like skipping it or such, but ofc I want it to return too), feedback may be more important in Practice (of which personally I'd want to have Circuit Experience being usable with any car, and for it to be integrated as Practice Mode) as mid-races won't have all the complete car adjustments, or even pitting (non-Endurances).
I don't care one bit because I've wanted a modern interpretation of GT4 for YEARS.

F1 does this really well. It may not be a simulator but the explanations about car performance and setup changes were extremely helpful. It's done me a lot of good.
And only GT4? How about at least taking the best features from other games too?
  • GT1 = Special Stage Route 11.
  • GT2 = Racing modifications, obscure unique and memorable cars (ex: Espace F1), manufacturer events, race events divided into certain hp level.
  • GT3 = Fast menu navigations, AI, soundtrack, racing focus, impact for the series, qualifying (the best system between other GTs).
  • GT4 = Most elaborate GT Mode, most amount of same quality cars, most tuning options, Photo Mode, Driving Missions.
  • GT5 = NASCAR/Rally's car damage, proper rally event in Gran Turismo Rally, GT Academy, most garage limit, Online Collectors dealership, Seasonal events.
  • GT6 = Most amount of cars, most amount of tracks, varied modification for cars (compared to other GTs), track editor, special events, dynamic weather & time.
  • GTS = FIA, online and Sport Mode stuff, livery editor, graphics, most realistic physics, car sounds.
I don't care a bit for B-SPEC, I hope we will have championships and endurance races :)
When B-Spec is an enhancement for endurance races as those races can have you switch drivers...
It's too much to ask because there are relations to worry about but I wish for more than a one-way dialogue and some honesty in GTP interviews. It's a website that has been dedicated to the franchise since 2001; I think it deserves at least a little something like that (or maybe that's too entitled sounding idk). I really want all of the frustrations fans have been feeling to just be laid out plainly with very little sugarcoating. For example, Kaz has a really high opinion of GT's physics ("'I also think you’ll feel it to be more natural, even more-so than in GT Sport,' he explained" -the interview) but I wonder if he has tried any of the hardcore sims since that interview where he said he doesn't pay attention to other games. Suggesting he give one a try, rather than just asking if he has tried one, would be worth it so he can see what they have accomplished in terms of FFB and other car dynamics if he gives in. It may be disrespectful or something to imply other games are doing things better than his baby but some things just need to be said.
GT has never been intended to be a hardcore sim I guess. Its aim is to be accessible to all, either age or how you play (like using game d-pad) while still being realistic enough (pseudo-realistic).

The only reason why Its online only at the moment is so that PD can detect cheating with the save data, yknow so that their Official FIA eports series isn't turned into piles of cheating mess, that's why the save data is tied to the servers. Once they decide they're ready to move on and shut down the servers they can push an update the severs that connection to the servers so you can save your game without having online connection. The only other thing I can see this affecting is downloading liveries.
People are really confident about this without any sort of proof or even precedent taken.

Sure, would be cool but why do you need to hope for an update so that you can save your game offline? And last time I checked cheating still happened once with the ABS bug.

Does no one remember the GT6 Course Editor debacle? Did they ever patch it to work offline? 🙃

Last edited:
It's too much to ask because there are relations to worry about but I wish for more than a one-way dialogue and some honesty in GTP interviews.
This is something rarely said, but you're honestly right. It amazes me that considering how GTP has been well considered to be the hub for GT news and discussion since inception, and even has stayed relatively static even with the advent of mass social media, that Polyphony and Kaz more or less told them to go pound sand, and basically treat them as stenographers. That time that Jordan made an entire wing of the forum for a potential AMA (in essence) and it went unused because Kaz ghosted them. The fact that this latest interview was essentially reposting what Kaz said without any of the back and forth of an actual interview.

Like, it's really obvious how even on a site that has done so much for the GT series over the years, that this is how it gets treated in general. And really, it says volumes about how Kaz treats a lot of things - other games, media outlets, and generally, the racing game genre in of itself: as simply a conduit for his own bat**** ideas that has no real basis on what is popular and what works.

It's frustrating because I don't think for one second that language barriers are apart of it - other Japanese developers have done a fantastic job in relaying information to fans, and not lying to their faces for years. Other Japanese developers put up detailed patch notes, and generally outline what is coming post launch content wise. Yet GT...doesn't. 95% of the content released more or less came from the mouth of Kaz by way of those embarrassing silhouette pictures. They barely have a social media feed to begin with - it's mostly just reposting World Tour and FIA stuff, fluff photos, and little else. Like what is stopping you from posting a full list of vehicles coming in an update to Twitter instead of having people go the runabout way to Kaz's Twitter to see?

It's really reeking to me of Kaz as a whole wanting all the attention funneled to himself. That he basically treats outlets, English ones especially, but I wouldn't be surprised if this happened to Japanese ones as well, as places where he can voice his opinions of the racing game space onto the world, and not have it be challenged, instead propped up. Like, this has been the case since GT4, which is where a lot of the rot of the series started from. At what point do outlets push him on his musings and ask actual questions? And especially, push him when he tries to submit some pie in the sky idea and either iterate on it, or actually ask if it's coming, in the case of Track Creator in GT6?

And to add... with Kaz saying they've got mucho info from Sport Mode, B-Spec is the perfect function to teach/inform/school non-Sport Mode players how to manage a car.
Applying the infor of short shifting, managing tyres, moving into slipstream to conserve and out of slipstream to brake.
AI need to match the B-Spec Bob. If my Bob gets tired, the AI competition should get tired.

One big Arcade pre-race feature we need: practice and qualifying. Press skip to start at the back or continue and lay down a time to see where you place.
All those features seen in lobbies and Sport Mode, offline players need those options as well.

Other titles let you do a “race weekend” in single player mode. which simulates all of this. Even the AI practices and makes adjustments to their cars before and after qualifying. It’s super fun

Then again, the AI is actually competitive in other titles

The default joystick controller is improved so much, it's comparable to a wheel setup? He also said the same thing about GTSport and, that's only believable if you've never had a chance to use a wheel.
With excessive tire wear, and drastically less traction, the joystick is not comparable to even the cheapest wheel setup. And that's when the game actually treats the Thrustmaster T-80 wheel as a wheel, rather than just another joystick.
I don't expect the T-80 will be improved, or fixed in the sense the game will treat it like a wheel and not switch back to joystick characteristics mid-lap. I really think they'll just drop that wheel from what is compatible with the new game.
I don't even want to get started on the only online save.
On a different note, the new game looks great and it's admirable he admitted the game can be scaled to run on the PS4 without losing detail. Maybe he's very aware of the limited amount of PS5's available, and wants as many people as possible to get to play(pay) for this new game.

I really hope that Gran Turismo 7 is your favorite game of the franchise, you love it to bits, you keep playing it, the new one comes out, another one comes out and then once you get nostalgic you want to go back to this one.

Oops, the servers are taken down. Looks like it's only arcade mode for you. (Which might just be the barebones one we see to this day with GTS)

Absolutely ridiculous post.
LOL. Whatever. I have never gone back to play an old GT game once a new one has come out. Cry me a river.

People are really confident about this without any sort of proof or even precedent taken.

Sure, would be cool but why do you need to hope for an update so that you can save your game offline? And last time I checked cheating still happened once with the ABS bug.

Does no one remember the GT6 Course Editor debacle? Did they ever patch it to work offline? 🙃
And people are really confident it won’t happen without any sort of proof or precedent. At the end of day everyone is guessing what will or will not happen to GT Sport when the servers shut down. It wouldn’t be hard for them to localise the saves, but that’s no guarentee that they will.

And the course editor in GT6 isn’t comparable. That’s a post launch feature, not loading your save data. There’s little point arguing back and forth when neither side of the coin have anything close to compelling evidence what will happen.

And people are really confident it won’t happen without any sort of proof or precedent. At the end of day everyone is guessing what will or will not happen to GT Sport when the servers shut down. It wouldn’t be hard for them to localise the saves, but that’s no guarentee that they will.

And the course editor in GT6 isn’t comparable. That’s a post launch feature, not loading your save data. There’s little point arguing back and forth when neither side of the coin have anything close to compelling evidence what will happen.
Yes, the problem being that if nobody ask them about this when they are given a chance to do so, we will have to wait until the end of GTS to have an approximate answer about what could happen for GT7. We shouldn't have to guess, it has too big implications.

Having neither PS4 nor PS5, I will wait to see what's going on in the year to come with GTS to take a decision.

My problem with online save isn't really about the internet connexion, but about future. Kaz (which ironically presents GT7 as a link between past, present and future) explained how he tries to instill passion for the new generation of players and rekindle the nostalgia of early fans. But what about the nostalgia of those new players he targets? What will they have to ground their nostalgia on if there is nothing left of GT7 in a near future? Maybe it's my baguette side to be viscerally attached to cultural objects that makes me say that but... ..hey! :indiff:

Ratio

Time doesn't automatically make a game bad unless you're Jim Ryan.
Time makes games become outdated and "out-evolved" by the successors...

I really hope that Gran Turismo 7 is your favorite game of the franchise, you love it to bits, you keep playing it, the new one comes out, another one comes out and then once you get nostalgic you want to go back to this one.

Oops, the servers are taken down. Looks like it's only arcade mode for you. (Which might just be the barebones one we see to this day with GTS)

Absolutely ridiculous post.
Geez. Calm down lol.
Just wait and see for example GTS, just before the servers are taken down, they should release a final patch to be able to play and save the game offline. Pure logic.

Last edited:
Times makes games become outdated and "out-evolved" by the successors...
Ironic, considering that GT4 represents, pretty clearly if we go by modern GT history, the absolute zenith of the series and one that the developers either took from blatantly in order to fortify the next game in the series, or actively model their game after in order to win back fans. So how is it outdated considering those factors?

If you read & comprehend what I said it has nothing to do with stopping cheating but preventing cheaters from dominating their Official FIA eports leader boards that propel players to the championship. Last time i checked GT6 had nothing of the sort with governing body. And the ABS bug still didn't help players to the Championship because PD spotted them.

By exactly what measure? Only case I can see that being 100% true is in terms of technology, but that by itself doesn't make a game better. There's plenty of cases of a newer game being not as well received, or objectively worse than its predecessors, and the Gran Turismo series 100% falls into that.

And only GT4? How about at least taking the best features from other games too?
  • GT1 = Special Stage Route 11.
  • GT2 = Racing modifications, obscure unique and memorable cars (ex: Espace F1), manufacturer events, race events divided into certain hp level.
  • GT3 = Fast menu navigations, AI, soundtrack, racing focus, impact for the series, qualifying (the best system between other GTs).
  • GT4 = Most elaborate GT Mode, most amount of same quality cars, most tuning options, Photo Mode, Driving Missions.
  • GT5 = NASCAR/Rally's car damage, proper rally event in Gran Turismo Rally, GT Academy, most garage limit, Online Collectors dealership, Seasonal events.
  • GT6 = Most amount of cars, most amount of tracks, varied modification for cars (compared to other GTs), track editor, special events, dynamic weather & time.
  • GTS = FIA, online and Sport Mode stuff, livery editor, graphics, most realistic physics, car sounds.
I'm not saying that GT7 can't take features from other GT games, but it should follow the GT4 formula.

In theory yes...

However several aspects especially in the creative field don't just get outdated by the next game. This idea that newer games will always be an evolution implies every positive aspect of a game will be transferred over to the next entry but that is far from realistic.

I've been playing Gamecube Games recently and one of the things I noticed is how much more enjoyment I'm having over some of even Switch entries. Super Mario Party on Switch becomes repetitive and frustrating once you figure out the best strategy as everything is so cheap and nothing is punishing while the Gamecube Mario Partys while are a bit samey that you only need to buy one of them and not 4, 5, 6 and 7. Have a lot more going on for me to enjoy it with what I consider better design choices for a much thrilling local multiplayer experience.

To wrap this back to GT. I consider GT4 high and worth playing over GT5 and beyond despite being technically outclassed is its design choices are still the best in the series. Events feel far less like ticking off a to do list and most have a special charm in it to stand them out, even the obligatory European, American and Japanese Championships we see in every series, each comes with something to separate more than just the cars legal. American Championship having the fastest and powerful American racers (which was replicated in GT5 but only 2 races and not a Championship is a let down), Japanese Championship featuring JDMs a common Japan stereotype and the European Championship having some of the longer races even 2 Laps of Nurburgring when most are just 1 also requiring an ib license instead of an a license which all that represents European stereotype style of motorsport. The closest I ever got to that was GT6 ia race events but that's a small portion and a lot of just driving any car through generic races to get there. GT4 gave a lot of events character and to stand out which is something I adore and don't think has been outclassed by any GT game since.

Last edited:
Back