New Gran Turismo 7 Details: PS4 vs PS5, Driving Physics, GT Cafe, and More Revealed in Kazunori Yamauchi Interview

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 494 comments
When asked on the idea of B-Spec returning, "At the moment of speaking, no" with a smile.
Darth_Vader_Noooo_Banner.jpg

Last edited:
When asked on the idea of B-Spec returning, "At the moment of speaking, no" with a smile. Possibly hinting at a later surprise?
It might be unlikely, but it's not entirely impossible, as it's seemingly already in the game. From looking at the GT Sport executable, PD has apparently continued to build upon the GT5/6 code base by porting it to run on PS4/x86. GTS looks like a full GT game inside, e.g. things like oil change, coffee break, tuners, shuffle and 3DTV (a PS3-only feature, AFAIK, which supports the porting theory) are mentioned. GT7 is most likely a continuation of the result of that porting effort.

(AdHoc is the scripting language that "glues" the separate parts/modules of Gran Turismo together)

AdHoc commands:
getForceBSpecLevel

AdHoc parameters:
bspec_battle_miss_level1
bspec_battle_miss_level2
bspec_battle_miss_level3
bspec_battle_miss_level4
bspec_battle_miss_level5
bspec_heat_capacity
bspec_lv_offset
bspec_skill_random_scale
bspec_vitality10
disable_bspec_skill
enemy_bspec_lv
limit_bspec_driver_count
limit_bspec_level
need_bspec_driver_count
need_bspec_level

So... a month after release?
For someone who don't play GT, you certainly seem very interested in the series (of your last 200 posts, around 80% was in a Gran Turismo forum.) Why not give the game a try?

French interview
When asked on the idea of B-Spec returning, "At the moment of speaking, no" with a smile. Possibly hinting at a later surprise?

Also mentions a "meeting point" as a new addition to the online modes where players can meet with details to be revealed later.
Alright, must have been a translation error in the other article, because in this one we're back to below 100 and falls in line with the PS page details :lol:

"So content, but above all numbers: more than 400 cars when the game came out , more than 30 locations and a little less than 100 tracks."

Last edited:
Did he himself say "online modes", as in plural? I want shuffle mode to return along with Performance Points :/
The multiplayer modes will contain everything that can be found in Gran Turismo Sport, with a few adjustments without Polyphony's president telling us more: "We have learned a lot about championships and competitive modes through GT Sport, that's all I can say". The new feature on online modes is the addition of a gathering point, a lobby where players can meet without further details. To close the multiplayer topic, we finally got the confirmation that Gran Turismo 7 will be cross-platform between the PS4 and PS5 versions.

For someone who don't play GT, you certainly seem very interested in the series (of your last 200 posts, around 80% was in a Gran Turismo forum.) Why not give the game a try?
Loosen up those panties, it was a joke. I never said I don’t play GT, and quite literally the opposite. You’re right, I’m extremely interested - I’m getting a PS5 almost specifically for this game, and said so enough times and since you’re stalking my last 200 post(pretty damn creepy if you ask me) that much should have been apparent to you.

As a side note though, maybe I should wait a month after release like I noted, would likely be able to get it at a pretty fat discount. :lol:

Last edited:
I’m still really hyped for the game but my biggest concern with the game is the fact that it’s always online for the most part. I think that Kaz’s reasoning for it is understandable as I remember back in the days of GT5 where players would hack their save files to get unlimited money and mod their cars to have them go at insane speeds, and they would use those cars to cheat in online time trial events. IIRC cheating was also an issue in GT6’s online modes too but to a lesser extent. I still think that the campaign should be accessible offline and a workaround should be found to play it offline while preventing cheating at the same time, but it’s not the worst excuse I heard for always online requirements.

Really happy to hear about the customization options and new original tracks though. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the return of Special Stage Route 11 and Midfield Raceway.

Last edited:
Why would you drop a series you have played for years because its online only? Who doesn't have constant connectivity these days anyway? Yeah it's a bit annoying sometimes but I'm more than willing to suck it up to play GT.

Talk about cutting of your nose to spite Kaz's face.
I really hope that Gran Turismo 7 is your favorite game of the franchise, you love it to bits, you keep playing it, the new one comes out, another one comes out and then once you get nostalgic you want to go back to this one.

Oops, the servers are taken down. Looks like it's only arcade mode for you. (Which might just be the barebones one we see to this day with GTS)

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Last edited:
I really hope that Gran Turismo 7 is your favorite game of the franchise, you love it to bits, you keep playing it, the new one comes out, another one comes out and then once you get nostalgic you want to go back to this one.

Oops, the servers are taken down. Looks like it's only arcade mode for you. (Which might just be the barebones one we see to this day with GTS)

Absolutely ridiculous post.

Please read the articles. I understand people don't want the forced online for different reasons, but the "you cant play it when the servers are down in a few years" is not a viable one.

Last edited:

Please read the articles. I understand people don't want the forced online for different reasons, but the "you cant play it when the servers are down in a few years" is not a viable one.
The first article is talking about still being able to download dlc.

the second article literally says this; “a Sport server shut down would be very different from GT6’s.” For good reason too, because most of both these games features weren’t tied to an always online restriction like GTS is, and subsequently, GT7.

The first article is talking about still being able to download dlc.

the second article literally says this; “a Sport server shut down would be very different from GT6’s.” For good reason too, because most of both these games features weren’t tied to an always online restriction like GTS is, and subsequently, GT7.
I would say for good reason, because GT Sport is very much a multiplayer-title targeted at esports that barely even had offline content at the time of the article. It isn't a full Gran Turismo game with focus on a campaign.

I would say for good reason, because GT Sport is very much a multiplayer-title targeted at esports that barely even had offline content at the time of the article. It isn't a full Gran Turismo game with focus on a campaign
That’s just part of it, you’re right. definitely not the whole picture at all though.

either way, neither of those articles are really backing what you’re saying.

Last edited:

Not only have I read the articles, I've played through those games in their prime and watched as GT5 got its plug pulled only less than a year after GT6 released. Who knows, GTS will probably get the same treatment.

Hey, at least it isn't as bad as you can't play a whole majority of modes that are in the game if you dare not have any internet operating at the moment. Try and disconnect your PS4 from the internet and see what happens to the playability of your GTS copy. It goes wayyy down, doesn't it?

Last edited:
Not only have I read the articles, I've played through those games in their prime and watched as GT5 got its plug pulled only less than a year after GT6 released. Who knows, GTS will probably get the same treatment.

Hey, at least it isn't as bad as you can't play a whole majority of modes that are in the game if you dare not have any internet operating at the moment. Try and disconnect your PS4 from the internet and see what happens to the playability of your GTS copy. It goes wayyy down, doesn't it?
I would say for good reason, because GT Sport is very much a multiplayer-title targeted at esports that barely even had offline content at the time of the article. It isn't a full Gran Turismo game with focus on a campaign.

That’s just part of it, you’re right. definitely not the whole picture at all though.

either way, neither of those articles are really backing what you’re saying.

Oh wow, so your point is that because it's a multiplayer game it's okay if the servers go down so you can't use the game for it's intended purpose?
I understand people don't want the forced online for different reasons, but the "you cant play it when the servers are down in a few years" is not a viable one.
Which again, still proves @ImaRobot right where it just becomes a coaster in a few years.

Last edited:
Oh wow, so your point is that because it's a multiplayer game it's okay if the servers go down so you can't use the game for it's intended purpose?

Which again, still proves @ImaRobot right where it just becomes a coaster in a few years.
They point is that a multiplayer game is not comparable to a singleplayer game. Of course I get a lot of the experience cut when I disconnect from the internet in a multiplayer game, not shocking to anyone I think.

@ImaRobot The articles are 100% proving my point. PD has taken care of offline playability after the servers were shut down on the last occasions.

It has been also said numerous times in these forums that the forced online-saving is mandated by the FIA, meaning once there is no online play in GT7 anymore and the servers are shut down, PD doesn't have to enforce online saving anymore as well. Make of that what you wish.

The only arguments you made were the potential playable after servers shut down in a multiplayer-focused title in GT-Sport and assumptions based on GT7 having forced online-saving.

If you still want to believe that the game will not be playable when the servers are shut down in a few years from now despite every clue pointing in a different direction, feel free to do so.

Last edited:
If you still want to believe that the game will not be playable when the servers are shut down in a few years from now despite every clue pointing in a different direction, feel free to do so.
I will believe it, thank you very much because everything that occurs when you disconnect the game from the internet renders it completely unplayable. When you hear the same sort of deal happening with GT7, you can assume, and rightfully so, that you can't even buy cars anymore since GTS doesn't let you do that without a connection let alone save GT League progress

Last time I checked, GT5 and GT6 didn't need online saving to be patched out. The way they took care of offline playability... was to not have game data save online in the first place?!

Last edited:
People complaining about an internet connection requirement, while on the internet.

Those people be hybrid'ers.....

Jerome
These people complaining about not having enough to eat, but they're alive so clearly they're eating something.

How is it that otherwise seemingly intelligent people are incapable of understanding that just because something works once, like internet, doesn't mean that it works all the time?

I dont think poor countries will have PS5 (and PS5 games) as their top priority anyway
Lol, **** poor people, amirite? What's up with peasants thinking they could be playing vidya games when they should be slaving on the plantation to earn enough to eat?

I mean, Australia's internet is worse than that famously wealthy country Kazakhstan, so us Poors down here in Australia should just suck it up and not bother buying PS5s, right?
when gt sport released i was 14 years old and i wasn't dissapointed with the always online feature
So you're saying you've played one Gran Turismo and literally don't know any better?
It would take over 3 years playing every single day to properly experience one car each day in GT5/6s car list terms. Are you going to tell me you or anyone else will spend that time to actually use every car in the game? Give me a break, 420 is more than enough and there will be more post launch too.
It's not that everyone uses every car. It's that each user probably only drives 10-20% of the cars, but that everyone's 10-20% are made up of different cars. Having a larger car list means there's a greater likelihood of your 10-20% being made up of cars that you're genuinely excited and enthusiastic about, rather than you driving cars that are the least worst option available.

420 is enough, provided they're well chosen to cover a range of interests and provide enough options to make up diverse and engaging racing grids. 1000 is necessary when Polyphony pull shenanigans like the duplicate business of the PS3 era. Hopefully we're well past that, but there's plenty of people who understandably still have reservations considering that the only game since was so small that duplicates weren't even an option.
You'll find that a lot of the people who are most critical of the game have also played GT1 through GT4. They probably got turned off by the mismanagement during the PS3 era, and then baffled by the massive change in focus with GTS. They've probably played more GT than you have, but at the same time have witnessed a lot of Polyphony's biggest **** ups and so don't necessarily have a wholly positive image of the franchise right now.

GT6 and GTS were notoriously fast to drop in price, and so a quip about GT7 being $10 a month after release isn't exactly a shot at the franchise as much as it's recognising that this is a legitimate problem that the series has now. If we're looking at it without hyperbole, you can probably expect to pick up a second-hand copy for $20 or less about 6 months after release unless inflation takes us all to the moon.

You'll find that a lot of the people who are most critical of the game have also played GT1 through GT4. They probably got turned off by the mismanagement during the PS3 era, and then baffled by the massive change in focus with GTS. They've probably played more GT than you have, but at the same time have witnessed a lot of Polyphony's biggest **** ups and so don't necessarily have a wholly positive image of the franchise right now.
I am one of these people. Time after time I felt let down by PD and their strange practices, ignoring our pleas for much-needed cars, tracks and features that many would consider essential. It's taken too long for them to come to their senses and as I result, I no longer have the same emotional attachment to the series. Put it this way: I won't be crying if GT7 doesn't meet my expectations.

Last edited:
I think for most people the series hit a peak with GT4.

GT5/6 Sport hasnt been as well received as most fans would like. So its going to take a lot for GT7 to get back to what people saw with GT4. To clarify... thats THREE damn console generations where things werent exactly what fans expected to say the least.

Even with all the details coming out I'm reserved and ready to be disappointed.

Last edited:
I actually just wonder if people can directly make a suggestion to Kaz in these stuff rather than just asking questions?
Unbelieveable how quickly PD is killing the hype for GT7

this is what we waited for since 2017? A gimped product that will be forgotten to time because one wonderful day the servers get shut down and you can't even go back to replay the damn thing?

That's not to mention being essentially just slightly improved GT Sport but actually with a single player campaign

Wake me up in 2027 when Polyphony decide to do a Gran Turismo 8 and bring actual nextgen experience
Already killed since the announcement of cross-gen platform. Though to be fair, the online-requirement isn't a crossgen/nextgen trait.
If the 420 car count at launch is indeed true, than that's perfectly fine imo, as long as the variety of cars is also solid. There imo needs to be a good spread of oddballs, historically and/or culturally significant cars, as well a good variety currently relevant road, concept and race cars. There also shouldn't be multiple versions of the same chassis with negligible differences (which GTS has fixed, albeit that's mostly because of the kind of game it is), nor having major categories with relatively outdated vehicles (FM7's GT categories springs to mind). Even with fewer cars, personally speaking, in GT games of old, the Forza series, and other racers with larger-ish rosters, I generally only find myself using no more than half of the cars that I end up collecting, which isn't helped when the game decides to drop a totally random car for arbitrary reasons (Forza wheelspins comes to mind). Even in GT5s heyday, after a while I started to believed that the 1000+ car count was total overkill, and also a good bit dishonest since the overwhelming majority of those cars were straight-up ports from the previous generation at the time.

Always online just to play single player is dumb no matter what. Kaz does not give any good reasons for this decision, and the reasons he did give are either inconsequential, and/or have been solved by other games.

At this point what I need to see is actual gameplay more than anything else, alongside some details/footage of the career system and its structure at work, as well as a look on how the AI performs in races. One of the reasons I still play older, "lesser" games like GRID and the DiRT series is that even though they are less impressive games overall with worse physics, their AI actually race you, they block, they make mistakes, they give you the feeling of being in a race fighting for positions and wins, and not just act as fairly lifeless moving chicanes like GT games of the past. The blurb posted earlier about AI behaving more realistically is good to hear, though.
The multiple versions of the same chassis was kinda dealt with in GT5 and GT6 too, speaking about the Premium ones. The Premium road Skylines in those games are the same ones as the one got added on GTS. Though yeah for Standards they also did bad thing of uniting every regional car differences. The 420 car count also will take all the cars from GTS (currently 336, so that'd be most of the cars in GT7 likely then), and it depends on the question that are you satisfied with GTS' car count and variation?

GRID (at least not the 2019 one perhaps) and DiRT are less impressive games? There are sayings that GT where it's an "excellent (accessible) driving simulator and/or car encyclopedia, but less so of a game".
It might be unlikely, but it's not entirely impossible, as it's seemingly already in the game. From looking at the GT Sport executable, PD has apparently continued to build upon the GT5/6 code base by porting it to run on PS4/x86. GTS looks like a full GT game inside, e.g. things like oil change, coffee break, tuners, shuffle and 3DTV (a PS3-only feature, AFAIK, which supports the porting theory) are mentioned. GT7 is most likely a continuation of the result of that porting effort.

(AdHoc is the scripting language that "glues" the separate parts/modules of Gran Turismo together)

AdHoc commands:
getForceBSpecLevel

AdHoc parameters:
bspec_battle_miss_level1
bspec_battle_miss_level2
bspec_battle_miss_level3
bspec_battle_miss_level4
bspec_battle_miss_level5
bspec_heat_capacity
bspec_lv_offset
bspec_skill_random_scale
bspec_vitality10
disable_bspec_skill
enemy_bspec_lv
limit_bspec_driver_count
limit_bspec_level
need_bspec_driver_count
need_bspec_level

I hope if it happens B-Spec isn't a separate mode like GT5, it had to allow players to switch drivers on pit. And want for it to be able to be evolved into whole team management aspect or something (expanding from only coaching drivers).
no one really expected B Spec really? did they? I mean it hardly fits into the whole FIA e-sport giant wankathon.
The game's aim is to also enhance the offline aspect though, though they still use everything-online requirement -_-. Also even for offline, why not adding more variation of it, like driver managing competition for B-Spec online race? To be an engineer is a tough job. Strategizing without driving. Only going by what the driver says is happening to the vehicle. Making the right call at the right moment.

Last edited:
I think for most people the series hit a peak with GT4.

GT5/6 Sport hasnt been as well received as most fans would like. So its going to take a lot for GT7 to get back to what people saw with GT4. To clarify... thats THREE damn console generations where things werent exactly what fans expected to say the least.

Even with all the details coming out I'm reserved and ready to be disappointed.
I'm much the same. I think this is the best that a GT game has looked in a long time, but that's a horribly low bar at this point.

I think if you'd asked me after GT4, then I'd have said FM7 is about where I expected GT7 to be in 2021 if I was being really, really pessimistic. Still basically the same game, but everything just better with another 15+ years of development.

But if you'd asked me after GT4, I'd also have said that I'd realistically expect that Polyphony would do more than just make the same game for the next 15 years, and that I'd expect there to be some major additions in there somewhere that would keep Gran Turismo head and shoulders above every other game in it's genre. That's what Polyphony did, make games with features that people didn't even know that they wanted.

==========

If I may take this opportunity to have a little discussion about what went wrong, I think Polyphony really struggled with online. They didn't know what to do with it, and their reluctance to take hints from other games really crippled their ability to adapt quickly. It took them ten years to figure out that the iRacing system was good and use it as a basis for their own online competitive modes. GTS seems good, but they lost a big opportunity to dominate the online racing market from the get-go and pushed a lot of would-be competitive GT players into other sims. I wouldn't have gotten into iRacing if the GT5 online hadn't been so ropey, and I doubt I'm the only one that felt pushed away.

At the same time they seemed to run out of ideas for fresh single player content after B-Spec flopped. And to be clear, B-Spec flopped not because it was fundamentally a bad idea, but just because the implementation that Polyphony went with was pretty much what modern idle games have become but less fun. There have been motorsport management games that were/are fun and engaging, and it could have been developed as an interesting way to endurance racing that was actually somewhat realistic. But instead it was "the AI that grinds so you don't have to".

I hope GT7 is them bringing back the best parts of the old games while adding but the standard features that are expected of a AAA racing game in 2021 plus a little Polyphony magic so we can all be amazed at this new way of enjoying cars that we didn't even know we wanted. But I think realistically it's going to be GT4: 2021 Edition, and while I love GT4 it's not a game that actually works terribly well by modern standards.

Also even for offline, why not adding more variation of it, like driver managing competition for B-Spec online race? To be an engineer is a tough job. Strategizing without driving. Only going by what the driver says is happening to the vehicle. Making the right call at the right moment.
This would be great. I think there's absolutely potential for a deep and engaging game mode to be made here, it just needs to be a bit more complicated than "fast, faster, pass or pit". I think there's potential for a mode that teaches people how to tune a car based on feedback from the AI driver - if you correctly interpret the information during the practise session, make good changes to the setup and then give good strategy during the race then you win. And in doing so you also learn how to tune a car for yourself when you're driving and start having the same problems that the AI driver was telling you about.

This is the sort of tutorialisation I'd like to see more of. Teach people how car dynamics work by gamifying it, because it's ****ing complicated to read about but actually pretty fun to tinker with if you have specific goals and are being rewarded for meeting those goals.

Latest Posts

Back