New Land Rover Defender

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 57 comments
Looks modern enough but nowhere as flashy as its streamlined siblings. Its grill also reminds me of the first-generation Freelander.

They look to have gone the G Wagon Route of making it more Posh at the expense of what it was, I'm sure it will sell though, but they have basically turned it into a Rugged Range Rover.

But looking at those angles, we could say the boxy shape is still there though, which is good for the model itself, unlike the Discovery V, which became more rounded like the Range Rover when it came out two years ago.

Interestingly, the interior of this new Defender seems to be a quantum leap from the outgoing model. And it will also have a modern semi-automatic transmission, too.

images

images

Strangely, these tail lamps look odd for some reason. But that's how it is plus the wheel design is now much more civilized than ever.

images

Sure enough lol. But pure Defender enthusiasts probably won't be happy with a lot of new gizmos included in it.

The tech doesn't come cheap though, I would suspect this will be very pricy.

The 90 starts from £40,290 and the 110 from £45,200. To put that into perspective the 2016 Defender 90 started at £23,100.

Holy crap that is a massive rise.

I imagine that the spec is much more impressive in the new model though, the old £23,000 model was still fairly...."rugged". You only have to look at the way the interior has changed to see the difference:

AETV97486361_2.jpg

defender-2087.jpg

I can see why people really like the Defender, but for one reason or another I'm not one of those people. I see this one and it's... OK, if perhaps too fussy in places.

It probably could have done with the external gear carrier panels not being a permanent feature. If you don't spec any of the external gear, then those panels really stand out... badly.

960x0.jpg

I don't really like it. The front end seems fussy and generic at the same time. Side profile is pretty good, but it looks a little soft. It's fine, but I'm not into it.

I like it. It's instantly recognizable, it's been designed from the ground up for today, and yes it is a bit expensive initially, has some panels of questionable use in everyday life, and carries the Land Rover design language, but it's all been done with purpose. Considering the last Defender was a continuously updated entity for most of it's life, while effective it's still an old vehicle.

As for the purist, I give it 2-3 years before they cave. The tech was gonna show up eventually, and to embrace it allows for more advancement. If I need an SUV, I'd probably look at this early in the hunt.

I like it as well. It still looks unmistakably like a Defender, but brought into the 21st Century. The old one just stubbornly refused to evolve and looked like it remained stuck in old days.

How do the prices compare to the rest of the range, is this basically on par with a Range Rover Sport(Since only UK prices are confirmed for now).

I initially thought of the old Honda element, too, because of some similarities between one of their exterior's color and their shapes as well.

Well, the Discovery V also isn't too far from that. In its case, it somewhat looks like a bullfrog. :lol:

How do the prices compare to the rest of the range, is this basically on par with a Range Rover Sport(Since only UK prices are confirmed for now).

For the entry level spec:

Range Rover Evoque - £31,395
Discovery Sport - £31,575
Defender 90 - £40,290
Range Rover Velar - £45,260
Discovery - £47,745
Range Rover Sport - £64,725
Range Rover - £83,655

I was at the 2020 Houston Auto Show this past weekend, and I saw this Land Rover Defender. I actually think this LR Defender is pretty handsome and cool. It does somewhat have that Honda Element look to it up front. It is a stylish machine. Not gorgeous, but very well styled. I'm sure it will be right at home taking on rugged terrain in the city or in real off-road conditions.

North American perspective

I'm very curious to see this matched against the Bronco despite them not being quite in the same segment.

A new Baby Defender is on the cards for 2022, initially being offered with FWD with an AWD variant following shortly afterwards. Power will be sourced from a 1.5L Turbo 3-cylinder and prices are expected to start from £25,000 for a very basic, stripped out model.
land-rover-baby-defender-renderings.jpg

North American perspective

I'm very curious to see this matched against the Bronco despite them not being quite in the same segment.

I love Straight Pipes but I gotta be honest, I'm not bothering with on-road tests of any of this new wave of offroad-capable trucks. It's just irrelevant. It's 2020, everything drives fine on-road. My 2006 Sequoia drives fine on-road.

The identity of these new vehicles is how the drive off-road. Defender, Bronco, Wrangler and Gladiator, etc. What we need to see is a comparison of off-road hardware between Land Rover, Ford, Jeep, Toyota, et al. From prior experience and prior reviews, while Jeep obviously leads the offroad hardware game, Toyota, Ford, and LR all have competitive off-road tech although I would give the edge to Toyota and LR. How that tech combines with the hardware is a big deal though - Toyota's 4Runner TRD Pro combines a rear live axle with a rear locker and their ATRAC traction control for the front wheels. LR offers the rear locker and traction control, but its combined with less articulation from the IRS. It might offer the best "clearance" but that comes at the cost of fully-inflated airbags which destroy articulation, relying heavily on the traction control. It also has larger wheels than the Toyota, even in base trim, and less room for larger tires, which ultimately limits performance increases from larger tires such as air-down capability and puncture resistance.

LR is over here like "this is what we can do with technology" while Toyota and Ford are like "this is what we can do with technology and hardware, and we left you room to make it better", and Jeep was like "we don't need all that technology because we have the gnarliest hardware and the most room for you to improve it[/i]".

I'd like to see a brutal stock-for-stock comparison among all four of these offerings. I have a feeling the 4Runner and Defender would be dueling it out closely, although both the resale market and parts aftermarket already heavily favor the Toyota for which is the best option.

The Fast Lane recently bought a long-term base-model Defender which they'll modify and punish. It's been broken for at least 21 days so far, within 300 miles of new. Can't say I expected anything else honestly. They also intend to get a Bronco to test. They've already modified and tested several other trucks and SUVs, including the first-gen Touareg (very capable), Disco 2, LR3, Gladiator, among others.

Last edited:
I’m legitimately curious who this new Defender is for. It seems to fill the exact same product gap as the Discovery. Nearly identical pricing, equipment options, performance, styling, and size. Everything it does, there’s 1-3 cars in LR’s lineup that already does it. I can’t see this thing doing anything but cannibalising sales off other 4x4s LR sells, with no additional end-of-quarter profits to show for it. Great, you sold 35k Defenders in 2020. How many of the people buying it crossshopped it with the other soft roaders on the dealer lot and would’ve bought a Land Rover anyway? Whatever focus group told JLR they needed another toorak tractor deserves to get sacked. When people are treating your own products as competitors to each other, you’ve made a tactical goof.

Seriously, how hard was it to just make a British Wrangler? Girder frame, modular platform, vinyl and rubberised hose-down interior, live axles front and rear. Cheap as chips, and would’ve made for a fourby that would continue to dominate in the farming and cab-chassis markets.

Last edited:
It's been a complete flop, at least here. May well have had the same off road prowess as the old one (as they claimed) but it was about so much more than that.

Firstly it's ugly and looks nothing like a Defender (the styling cues are way too light) and secondly it's a too expensive for the target market which isn't the luxury one JLR seem to think it is. The Ineos Grenadier is what they should have made.

I’m legitimately curious who this new Defender is for. It seems to fill the exact same product gap as the Discovery. Nearly identical pricing, equipment options, performance, styling, and size. Everything it does, there’s 1-3 cars in LR’s lineup that already does it. I can’t see this thing doing anything but cannibalising sales off other 4x4s LR sells, with no additional end-of-quarter profits to show for it. Great, you sold 35k Defenders in 2020. How many of the people buying it crossshopped it with the other soft roaders on the dealer lot and would’ve bought a Land Rover anyway? Whatever focus group told JLR they needed another toorak tractor deserves to get sacked. When people are treating your own products as competitors to each other, you’ve made a tactical goof.

Seriously, how hard was it to just make a British Wrangler? Girder frame, modular platform, vinyl and rubberised hose-down interior, live axles front and rear. Cheap as chips, and would’ve made for a fourby that would continue to dominate in the farming and cab-chassis markets.

They should have done what Mercedes did with the G-wagon (and perhaps Suzuki with the Jimny) and make something that looks almost identical to the original model but make it so it isn't an absolute pig to drive on road (compared to more contemporary stuff) whilst keeping it's off-road abilities. But unlike the G-wagon, keep it as cheap as they possibly could. That way it wouldn't be treading on the Discovery's toes the way it currently does. A base 110 is only about £2.5k less than a base Discovery, which is the Discovery S. A Defender 110 S (the 'S' trim level looks to be similar for both - ie pretty basic) is actually more than a Discovery S. I just can't see the logic.

Last edited:
Back