New Penalty System Comes to GT Sport's Daily Races

VBR
The only thing I hate about this is the hovering yellow markers. They put all the time & effort into making the cars & tracks as realistic looking as possible, then ruin it with these unrealistic arcade style 3d graphics. I found them seriously off-putting in the live broadcast, & hope that they aren't present in replays with the HUD off in-game. Would be nice if drivers had an option to turn them on & off while driving too.

EDIT: Tell a lie! It's not the only thing I hate about it; I've never seen a real-world motor race where drivers cars are forcibly slowed down by some computer controlled system. It's yet another move away from realistic racing, & I for one can't stand it.

Agree with this. My choice would be serving the time penalty in the pits (increasing the time you're stationary by the penalty time) or in races with no pitstops just have the time added to your total time at the end of the race. Simple, and impossible to be glitched out of.

The problem is, the game can't distinguish between having to go wide to avoid an accident or from over driving your car. It would be kinda harsh to end up with a penalty for preventing a secondary collision. That often already happens,
My example is todays race B, when you make it through the first part of the chicane and have a huge run on others who hit the wall or spin, 2 races in a row I barely had to cut the into the red, but it was clearly the safe move to not hit 2 and 3 cars slow or stopped. Stewards would have deemed it safe, not time saving. Oh well penalty served.

Well it's nice to see they finally changed it at long last.

I last played on the 10th March but I may well have a go at this week's racing to see what the new daily races
are like, hopefully it will give me some incentive to go racing again!

I’ve never seen a race series where all cars have radar but it’s still fun to play.

VBR
The only thing I hate about this is the hovering yellow markers. They put all the time & effort into making the cars & tracks as realistic looking as possible, then ruin it with these unrealistic arcade style 3d graphics. I found them seriously off-putting in the live broadcast, & hope that they aren't present in replays with the HUD off in-game. Would be nice if drivers had an option to turn them on & off while driving too.

EDIT: Tell a lie! It's not the only thing I hate about it; I've never seen a real-world motor race where drivers cars are forcibly slowed down by some computer controlled system. It's yet another move away from realistic racing, & I for one can't stand it.
ive

I'd much rather have pit stop drive-in penalties than this, but oh well at least it's better than the crap we have to put up with right now.

But they still need to overhaul the system that decide which player is at fault for the collisions that results in penalties.

Also scrap the penalties that we get for crashing hard against a wall which is pure non-sense.

Agree with this. My choice would be serving the time penalty in the pits (increasing the time you're stationary by the penalty time) or in races with no pitstops just have the time added to your total time at the end of the race. Simple, and impossible to be glitched out of.
Exactly. I never understood being able to scrub a penalty. I mean a penalty is a penalty. Why scrub it off or be able to even in a pit? It should just be added to your final time at the end of the race. Does not make sense to give a penalty if you can get rid of it. Why even give the penalty. Yea it takes time to get rid of so why not just add it to you end time. That would be to easy I guess. At least thats just my take on it not yours.
Its probably an April fools joke anyway.

Last edited:
Exactly. I never understood being able to scrub a penalty. I mean a penalty is a penalty. Why scrub it off or be able to even in a pit? It should just be added to your final time at the end of the race. Does not make sense to give a penalty if you can get rid of it. Why even give the penalty. Yea it takes time to get rid of so why not just add it to you end time. That would be to easy I guess. At least thats just my take on it not yours.
Agree. I’d prefer it added to pitting or race end.

The problem with this is a penalty added to your overall race time is not as harsh as a forced slow down early in the race. Drive like a douche on lap 1 and you could ruin someone else's race, pick up a 5 second penalty that could be inconsequential at the end of the race. Under the new system you'll be put down several positions, meaning you now have work to do to retake positions. It's also more likely to mean anyone who you've put off the track can retake the position, which in my mind is what the penalty system should do.

There are pros and cons for both but I prefer a forced slow down to adding time at the end.

GT Sport as it stands has too many events where no pit stops are needed to make added time in the pits viable in my opinion.

The problem with this is a penalty added to your overall race time is not as harsh as a forced slow down early in the race. Drive like a douche on lap 1 and you could ruin someone else's race, pick up a 5 second penalty that could be inconsequential at the end of the race. Under the new system you'll be put down several positions, meaning you now have work to do to retake positions. It's also more likely to mean anyone who you've put off the track can retake the position, which in my mind is what the penalty system should do.

There are pros and cons for both but I prefer a forced slow down to adding time at the end.

GT Sport as it stands has too many events where no pit stops are needed to make added time in the pits viable in my opinion.
Yea, I agree, they should not be added in the pits. I just think adding it to the overall time is best in my opinion. 5 seconds added to ones time is huge. I dont see how it could be inconsequential. I actually thought I would get feedback saying it would be to harsh that way. Allowing you to make up the time and position is gravy. a five second penalty or more on total time would also take one down several positions. And if I'm racing I'm likely to have 15 seconds or more added to my time. I think its way more lenient to allow me to make up my position and finish with no penalty even though I got a penalty. I'm a clean racer and s rated but I am not super serious about the game and go off the track alot as I dont practice alot or know the tracks very well. Just seems more clean cut. No one slowing down just do your race and take your penalty, if you get one. That way also if some one is booted off the track on lap one they have a chance to make up positions, while the perpetrator would not as the penalty could not be scrubbed. They could finish first but end up in last or at least several positions down. And the clean racers could be back in 6th or whatever and still win after the "handicap" of the penalty is added. Specially when you consider several people will have penalty's. Again just my thoughts on the matter. Seems simple enough but when everyone wants something different you cant please them all.

I have to agree, we tryed the penalty time added on at the end and it did not incur cleaner racing .

I think slow down penalty zone with improved penalty detection as much as possible is what could work to promote better racecraft .

Or a robust report system with people reviewing and banning were applicable or both together .

I can't make up my mind either, forced slow down or add at the end. Either is better than the pick and choose it is now.

Forced slowdown can be worse, putting aggressive drivers back behind slower cleaner drivers, just to do the same thing again.
Add the penalty at the end and if the penalties aren't strong enough, you usually get away with it in longer races.

I'm leaning towards forced slowdown, plus that includes adding penalties to the end for those incurred at the last section anyway. Monday is going to be interesting.

Yep, I also expect more quitters as long as the penalty system is still as much wrong as right. At least there will be less chaos at the finish and perhaps people will be more careful in the final turn as any penalties there will be added on at the end.

Yep, I also expect more quitters as long as the penalty system is still as much wrong as right. At least there will be less chaos at the finish and perhaps people will be more careful in the final turn as any penalties there will be added on at the end.
Absolutely! I'm all for the new system and been looking quite forward to it

I have to agree, we tryed the penalty time added on at the end and it did not incur cleaner racing .

I think slow down penalty zone with improved penalty detection as much as possible is what could work to promote better racecraft .

Or a robust report system with people reviewing and banning were applicable or both together .

hmmm, I never looked at it as something that was supposed to incur cleaner racing or promote better racecraft. Just a penalty for going off the track or hitting some one. I get lots of penalties from doing both though I strive to have my race craft the best it can be(Im rated s most of the time), and try to race as clean as I can. I would say 100% of my penalties are from mistakes. I assume we are all trying our best, although I have seen some "clean" racers go out of their way to purposely retaliate against someone who hit them, even though it was most likely an accident. Dont happen much but there are exceptions. I sure dont need some one slowing down in front of me to possibly get me another penalty cuz I cant stop in time. I also think if I screwed up I should eat my penalty not have a shot of scrubbing it off. 5 seconds is 5 seconds. Not you got 5 seconds buuuuut we will let you shave it off in these spots. Guess I'm biased. In my racing sport we have a handi cap system of seconds per mile depending on how fast your boat is and if you get a penalty it goes on your end time. Very simple.

Last edited:
Scrubbing is never the best option but it stopped most of the red + penalties cluttering the board up at the end. Imagine how ugly a Le Mans result screen would look...:yuck:

In my racing sport we have a handi cap system of seconds per mile depending on how fast your boat is and if you get a penalty it goes on your end time. Very simple.
Cool.do you have boats purposly trying to run your boat off the course ?and if so do you have video ? I love to see that action.

Stop and go penalties, but there would be pages on here about the system.

Last edited:
Got a DR reset from someone not backing off when I was ahead going into the swimming pool chicane. Other than that, not too different.

The real problems are still the mindset. Why dirty drivers exists in first place. Thats why GT Sports Mode lost its population, in my country, most of them already gave up sports mode and enjoying private lobbu
I've yet to try a private lobby/league. Peaks my interest but my schedule is sporadic

Yep. There's practically nobody playing sport mode at the moment is there... :rolleyes:

There is a severe lack of top players. I'm A+ and a lot of the time there is hardly any high A and A+ in the race. The penalty system is so ridiculous one has to laugh, and that's not inviting.

Making the penalties more severe doesn't make the penalty system any better, it just makes its shortcomings more aggravating.

Last edited:
There is a severe lack of top players. I'm A+ and a lot of the time there is hardly any high A and A+ in the race. The penalty system is so ridiculous one has to laugh, and that's not inviting.

I think it's worth having 2 accounts, a daily knockabout one and a FIA one.

Cool.do you have boats purposly trying to run your boat off the course ?and if so do you have video ? I love to see that action.
Yes in fact racers will try and run you off any time they get a chance(all though usually the whole ocean is the course) but there are rules which really dont matter on this board. And no they wont just slam into you, usually. There are tons of videos online but I dont have an actual video of my own. I do have one of a water spout right off my aft end. To be honest I have never had a racer trying to purposely run me off the road on gts either, but I know it happens.

Last edited:
Back