New Penalty System Comes to GT Sport's Daily Races

Making the penalties more severe doesn't make the penalty system any better, it just makes its shortcomings more aggravating.

The penalties are actually less severe, or much less sensitive. I get punted off in about every race on Suzuka and hardly ever does the punter get a penalty. Perhaps it's the DR difference where DR.B gets a pass against a DR.A driver, as I do see people get penalties.

Serving any (small) penalty now costs way more time than the penalty itself, at least on Suzuka. I've seen people fighting on to the penalty zone after getting a penalty as it doesn't really matter if you enter it with 2 seconds or 10 seconds. You're slowed to a crawl anyway, better get that punch in before the game slows you down.

And yes, it's now much more aggravating when you get a penalty from someone's bad driving.

Hopefully it's an adjustment period and people will start to drive more carefully as penalties really suck. Yet on the other hand, I see so many people get away with all kinds of crap which only encourages more bad driving.

The problems with the penalty system were that it's often wrong and the penalties are inconsequential. PD fixed the last part, and to compensate for the first part, toned the sensitivity down yet again, without fixing the underlying problems.

I do see more quitters now and I have quit 2 races myself today which I normally never do.

Perhaps it's the DR difference where DR.B gets a pass against a DR.A driver, as I do see people get penalties.

Yes it's this and it's dumb. On my main account (A+) if I get hit, even off track, sometimes they are getting away with it but on my GTP account (was B until today now A) the same sort of behaviour was getting the offender some sort of penalty for the most part, even the driver who lost control of their car on the grass and it speared me as it spun back on because it was not a ghost of course.

It's probably also why I've been hit in some strange ways and think why have you done that, you are clearly going to ruin your race with the penalty you'll get and that's what happened but they have likely done it before and got nothing because the driver they hit before was higher rated than my B, so were not expecting a penalty for their action.

Maybe tomorrow (or when I next race) they'll now be able to hit me off and get nothing because I'll be A. :(

Last edited:
Well I have now done some racing since the introduction of the new penalty system to daily races.

Not impressed. :banghead:

Whilst to the credit of PD for actually implementing a change and there has been an improvement in drivers NOT getting penalties during
the races I partook in, it has doing nothing to help in terms of the overall result and the fact that drivers are still being reckless or hitting
other cars through overtakes or "dive bombs"

My DR started the week on 7932 and SR 99 and now I have DR 2059 and 66 SR, now granted I quit three of the races I partook in which didn't help
but overall I see nothing that has actually made drivers improve or try to be more responsible in racing around the tracks.

Perhaps the exp is just from Race A since that's all I've tried but I will see how it goes over the rest of the week.

That low a rank will always see incidents of one sort or another and dropping any further wouldn't be much of a punishment. You're possibly not the true target audience for these penalty zones.

No offence meant but other than a few sandbaggers, there isn't much in the way of competency down there. It's always rough and ready.

Well I have now done some racing since the introduction of the new penalty system to daily races.

Not impressed. :banghead:

Whilst to the credit of PD for actually implementing a change and there has been an improvement in drivers NOT getting penalties during
the races I partook in, it has doing nothing to help in terms of the overall result and the fact that drivers are still being reckless or hitting
other cars through overtakes or "dive bombs"

My DR started the week on 7932 and SR 99 and now I have DR 2059 and 66 SR, now granted I quit three of the races I partook in which didn't help
but overall I see nothing that has actually made drivers improve or try to be more responsible in racing around the tracks.

Perhaps the exp is just from Race A since that's all I've tried but I will see how it goes over the rest of the week.
Well you cant just make everyone ace drivers. I have dive bomed and I get penalties. None of them are intentional. In fact even if I was intentionally targeted I would not retaliate, which I have seen good drivers do. I cant speak for everyone and have not seen your races but my opinion is that most if not all penalties are just unintentional mistakes. There will always be these mistakes when a novice or even first time racer is racing. Maybe there is a better way of separating driver catagories according to rank. I'm a D S driver. I am super careful to the point that I am not competitive. And only a s driver cuz I was in a race that made it easy to get plus I only do A races. Yet I still suck and if you put me in a race with a group 3 or more car I wont make a lap without going off the track and or hitting some folks. I play all the time and practice but thats just how it is. I dont sit there doing 10 or 20 laps at a time though. Its not a job. I will usually run a couple qualifying laps then race. So I never really learn the tracks super good hence I wipe out and sometimes crash into people. To me thats just how it is. I'm not in it for a job or for homework or to get super good, its just a game to me. Maybe set up some races and say if you can race these clean consistently then you can go into the next group of racers. I always feel bad when I crash someone and wish I was better but the fact is I aint and therefor the "dirty" driving which I just call mistakes. I would rather just see a penalty added to the end time after the race is over but no penalty system is going to make me a better driver. I'm pretty sure most if not all would rather not hit someone and would like to have all clean races with no penalties.

Mistakes happen. Hit 'n run vs giving back the position is what separates sportmanship from opportunistic racing. Since the change I've only had one driver own up to his mistake by waiting for me and not taking the position. The penalty zones seem to give people an excuse to go for the hit 'n run because they will be slowed down anyway. He didn't get a penalty for punting me off, no extra time lost for him. The game should retract penalties when you return the position.

Not that penalties pan out. For example a hit 'n run cost me 6 sec on Suzuka, he got a 4 sec penalty and I only gained 3 sec on him after the penalty zone. Often the other driver gets a lower penalty while you still end up in the sand or the other driver doesn't get a penalty at all. It's still more advantageous to drive aggressively. It's better than it was, you could serve a penalty in less than half the penalty time at the finish, but penalties still do not reflect the damage done to the other driver.

However just now I witnessed some great forethought from PD. A car that bumped me off and got a 5 sec penalty for it slowed down to try to wreck me before the penalty zone. The game already ghosted his car and when he tried to brake check me right before spoon I simply went right through him. Things are improving.

It's also much better without the parking lot finishes or the constant ghosting unghosting to serve penalties in the race.

Thinking some more on it, the penalty not fitting the crime is the real issue. If the penalty for bank robbery is to have to give back half of what you stole, if you even get caught.... Problem is, the penalty system often blames the wrong person.

Last edited:
Finally managed to do around 8 races on Daily Race B today and i must say, i'm really appreciating it (The new penalty system) I'm currently around 14,000 DR i think with 99 SR so i am a B, S rated.

There is such a cleaner sense or feeling to the race. From the races i have had, at least. I feel like the other racers are understanding the sheer brutality of a sudden stop penalty, thus making them less eager. to go for the silly moves. I could just be lucky but so far on a track i'm not all that familiar with, its gone well!

Felt so elated after losing so much DR throughout the previous week that i punch a huge hole in my 20,000,000 CR kitty and bought a bunch of cars :) That been said, the vast amount of 10 Mil was dropped on the Aston DB3S ... Couldn't resist! :)

On a side note: Anyone else notice the credit counter actually stops at 20,000,000 ... So you dont earn credits after each race anymore, just all the XP, MP and wot not. Again, first time i've reached that amount, just assumed it would of continued, lost thousands. Damn it!

Just to be clear when I started out I was in C DR so there shouldn't be as many incidents up there.

I am going to give it another shot over the weekend and see what happens.

Been thinking about this but I think I would rather get my A+ a bit higher so I have some wiggle room to have a bunch of bad races. In a weekly race lobby I swear people check your profile and if they see you are barely in A+ they treat you like crap, like it's a game for them to get you demoted no matter what it costs them.
I think it's worth having 2 accounts, a daily knockabout one and a FIA one.

Jay, you can't be serious.

Also all wannabe _LIGHTNINGS here having two accounts to get success is embarassing. If I don't get results which I think I earn, then it's time to practice more and here you go. It doesn't come easy and that's why I like it.

The whole 2 account thing is dumb to me. I see youtubers do it and then they dont care when they punt a guy off the track as they dart through the field since they are really S drivers.

Also this new penalty system is good when the right driver gets the penalty. Unfortunately my Sr is C at 25 right now because of some guy swerving into me and driving off track and me getting a 4 second penalty. Im gonna be adding more people to my hit list because im tired of trying to avoid sketchbags and them just trying to take me out. This one guy that i see playing bumper cars with everybody in the lobby everytime i see him the last 2 days is due a giant race ending punt. You ask for it and you are gonna get it. Its amazing how salty people can get just for being passed on a racing game.

I have noticed a lot of people take getting passed very personally. Like they want to kill you and your whole family by ramming your video game car.

A nice pass is so satisfying and instead of passing back they just swerve into you as you go past. People dont forget. Also getting squeezed off the track triggers me. Use radar and there is no excuse for just running me off track when we are side by side.

A nice pass is so satisfying and instead of passing back they just swerve into you as you go past. People dont forget. Also getting squeezed off the track triggers me. Use radar and there is no excuse for just running me off track when we are side by side.
Exactly! I had a similar case with an Italian Thanos last night. Absolutely nailing me to the wall or off the Es's shortly before the penalty zone on Race B. He was 1st so i understood his "Not wanting to give up the spot" I just thought "Stuff it, im not getting involved"
I eventually ended up 2nd which wasn't bad, i started 10th ... But still there is no need, bad sportsmanship

The whole 2 account thing is dumb to me. I see youtubers do it and then they dont care when they punt a guy off the track as they dart through the field since they are really S drivers.

Also this new penalty system is good when the right driver gets the penalty. Unfortunately my Sr is C at 25 right now because of some guy swerving into me and driving off track and me getting a 4 second penalty. Im gonna be adding more people to my hit list because im tired of trying to avoid sketchbags and them just trying to take me out. This one guy that i see playing bumper cars with everybody in the lobby everytime i see him the last 2 days is due a giant race ending punt. You ask for it and you are gonna get it. Its amazing how salty people can get just for being passed on a racing game.
I agree with the 2 account thing but will never agree with hitting another driver purposfully for any reason. That is childish and part of the problem.
I have noticed a lot of people take getting passed very personally. Like they want to kill you and your whole family by ramming your video game car.
This I have noticed on the streets in real life. The other day I have someone doing 30 in a 35 and I'm trying to do 50. I get a chance to pass and they floor it till the passing lane ends then slow right back down to 30.

On Suzuka yesterday, I passed 3rd to get into second lap 2 and into t1 for some reason first place was waaaay slow. I rear ended him and incurred a five second penalty.
The zone caused me to lose about six spots.
I think this is going to be brilliant. I definitely noticed a difference in safety standards. Bravo PD.

I agree with the 2 account thing but will never agree with hitting another driver purposfully for any reason. That is childish and part of the problem.

Its childish to buy a racing game and drive around like you are playing destruction derby 64 and ruin other peoples races because you cant handle being overtaken. They have no intention of ever racing clean thus they get dealt with accordingly.

I know we will agree to disagree but that is just how i see it.

Its childish to buy a racing game and drive around like you are playing destruction derby 64 and ruin other peoples races because you cant handle being overtaken. They have no intention of ever racing clean thus they get dealt with accordingly.

I know we will agree to disagree but that is just how i see it.
I agree. I just find it funny how often I hear people talking about these kind of drivers and what not, yet I seem to never run into these kind of drivers. Over 100 sport races and I have yet to see ONE person driving like they are trying to hit people on purpose. Its like these people are playing a totally different game than me. Sure I have been ran off the road a couple times but I think that was my fault for cutting in to soon. I guess if I had problems with these type of drivers all the time I might think differently. I just dont see it though. I'm not complaining.

I agree. I just find it funny how often I hear people talking about these kind of drivers and what not, yet I seem to never run into these kind of drivers. Over 100 sport races and I have yet to see ONE person driving like they are trying to hit people on purpose. Its like these people are playing a totally different game than me. Sure I have been ran off the road a couple times but I think that was my fault for cutting in to soon. I guess if I had problems with these type of drivers all the time I might think differently. I just dont see it though. I'm not complaining.

Oh they are there, I've seen plenty in my 7000 races. You can avoid them by choosing your times to race, there is a higher chance of meeting one of them after school hours, before bed time and in the weekend. Also they are mostly in lower SR ranges but not limited to. You also see them more at the backfield as the most 'fun' is not to brake for T1 at all. Some tracks are more popular for destruction derbies, especially Tokyo is a favorite.

Race more, at different times, different SR, start at the back, fast cars, you will meet them.

Yes as Sven said, try a race at say Monza and then tell me these sort of drivers are not out there. It's no good looking for them at Brands Hatch for instance because they'll go off track on the first lap and likely quit the race. Also the easier the car is to drive, the higher the chance of meeting them. I may have a video or two or some instances (maybe not even involving me), even though I only saved a couple of races, there is bound to be some intentionally bad driving in them and there's a good chance it went without proper punishment and if the did get a penalty then maybe it even caused another crash after serving it in the penalty zone, as that happened often in the races I was in too.

Oh they are there, I've seen plenty in my 7000 races. You can avoid them by choosing your times to race, there is a higher chance of meeting one of them after school hours, before bed time and in the weekend. Also they are mostly in lower SR ranges but not limited to. You also see them more at the backfield as the most 'fun' is not to brake for T1 at all. Some tracks are more popular for destruction derbies, especially Tokyo is a favorite.

Race more, at different times, different SR, start at the back, fast cars, you will meet them.
that might explain it. I have been out of college for 30 years so there is no such thing as bed time or after school hours. I'm usually playing during the week and weekend between 10am and till about 4pm or some time in that timeframe. Plus I'm an S driver, and usually start at 7th place or less. Good for me at least. I guess. I dont doubt they are out there as to many people mention it. I've seen and been in my fair share of accidents but never once seen someone driving around hitting people on purpose. Like I said, I'm not complaining nor do I care to meet them. lol.

Yeah I have people just turn into me on straightaways all the time and hit me at 90 mph on a 30 mph hairpin and quit after they get the 5 second penalty or wait till I am back on the road hit me again then quit. My SR isn't good as I get a bit optimistic in some passes but there are a bunch of people who do nothing but ram and rage quit at a penalty.

An issue that might make up for the bad drivers... Doing the AI races

To drive good results for the most part you have to be dirty. The AI drivers are dirtier then most of the worst drivers i have raced against. It teaches the new drivers really bad habits that when they race live events.. it comes over expecting the same result.

having that part added to the game in my opinion has only made for worse drivers. People have to race against the horrid AI drivers that seem to have no awareness of the cars around them let alone the track and just ram people off the road.

I quit even messing with the AI Races unless i need quick credits for months if not over a year. I raced the SF addiction and the drivers were doing the exact crap the bad drivers were doing..

It would be neat for PD to experiment with an "EXTREME PENALTY MODE!!!" where basically any contact results in a penalty. I wonder how people would feel about that or if it would even be effective in making drivers careful.

Maybe you would get away with slight contact and rubbing but up to a certain amount of force you get a penalty and the more force the more the penalty goes up. Just for fun make sure both parties get the penalty so no matter what the offender gets it heheh :) .

It would be neat for PD to experiment with an "EXTREME PENALTY MODE!!!" where basically any contact results in a penalty. I wonder how people would feel about that or if it would even be effective in making drivers careful.

Maybe you would get away with slight contact and rubbing but up to a certain amount of force you get a penalty and the more force the more the penalty goes up. Just for fun make sure both parties get the penalty so no matter what the offender gets it heheh :) .

It's been done, last June.

It used to be 10 sec for the guy tapping a bumper from behind and 1 sec for the car in front. Both SR loss.

Latest Posts

Back