New Penalty System Comes to GT Sport's Daily Races

I already said this in the daily race thread but I'm really pleased this has finally come. No it won't fix all the problems with the penalty system but it will help as there is more of an incentive to not get a penalty that you can just scrub off at the end of the race with little to no consequence.

On some tracks just a small penalty could now put you back several positions, particularly in the early part of a race.

Hope it helps clean up the daily races a little 👍

Have they fixed the cheat with the FIA-style Penalty Zones whereby you could brush the brake with smallest-possible-input and barely slow down?

There was this line in the 1.36 patch notes but it wasn't clear to me whether it was fixing the cheat/bug or not:

"Fixed an issue in “Sport” mode wherein forced Time Penalties wouldn’t function correctly in the automated penalty zone;"

The only thing I hate about this is the hovering yellow markers. They put all the time & effort into making the cars & tracks as realistic looking as possible, then ruin it with these unrealistic arcade style 3d graphics. I found them seriously off-putting in the live broadcast, & hope that they aren't present in replays with the HUD off in-game. Would be nice if drivers had an option to turn them on & off while driving too.

EDIT: Tell a lie! It's not the only thing I hate about it; I've never seen a real-world motor race where drivers cars are forcibly slowed down by some computer controlled system. It's yet another move away from realistic racing, & I for one can't stand it.

Last edited:
Have they fixed the cheat with the FIA-style Penalty Zones whereby you could brush the brake with smallest-possible-input and barely slow down?

There was this line in the 1.36 patch notes but it wasn't clear to me whether it was fixing the cheat/bug or not:

"Fixed an issue in “Sport” mode wherein forced Time Penalties wouldn’t function correctly in the automated penalty zone;"

Yes this has been fixed. The game now applies the brakes properly, regardless of what your inputs are going into the penalty zone.

Fantastic, tired of having races ruined by uncourteous drivers. Had one get to the bottom of Forrest's Elbow, delay acceleration whilst in the middle of the track to scrub a penalty, unghost when I got to their bumper and...well you can imagine how that ended up considering the speed I had already built up..same tactics caused another pile up at turn 13/14 chicane at Nurburgring GP. Just poor etiquette if you ask me. Glad this is coming to put a stop to the nonsense.

A welcome change. This will definitely fix penalties being a non-issue and not enough of a deterrent on certain tracks (Sarthe). Also, unpredictable or even tactical ghosting will cease to exist. On the flip side, unjust penalties will matter even more now. Nevertheless, I do think that the positives outweigh the negatives here. Bring on penalty zones :)

But pls wait before giving us a Tokyo daily again :P

VBR
EDIT: Tell a lie! It's not the only thing I hate about it; I've never seen a real-world motor race where drivers cars are forcibly slowed down by some computer controlled system. It's yet another move away from realistic racing, & I for one can't stand it.

It really isn't much different from a virtual safety car applied to the Formula E series. Only difference is drivers get the countdown to slow down and penalty applied if they don't. Only difference is it is given to a single person used in a single spot. If anything real racing will change going forward on these types of issues.

VBR
The only thing I hate about this is the hovering yellow markers. They put all the time & effort into making the cars & tracks as realistic looking as possible, then ruin it with these unrealistic arcade style 3d graphics. I found them seriously off-putting in the live broadcast, & hope that they aren't present in replays with the HUD off in-game. Would be nice if drivers had an option to turn them on & off while driving too.

Augmented Reality helmets are the future, so seeing things through the helmet that may not be there in real world, isn't that far fetched.

As for the "real world" comparison. Drivers can die, or lose the seat in the team, or a host of other disincentives for colliding with others. That being said, the stewards don't pass out penalties on the fly unless the infraction is egregious. They fly a black flag that forces a penalty to be taken or the racer in unclassified, and that works because that black flagged racer is not prone to smashing into other cars on track because he feels the penalty is unwarranted.

How will you FORCE a player to serve a penalty without intervention? Rely on their good graces and honor to do the right thing?

Last edited:
Just speculating , but I think penalising folks is the problem, there should be a rewards system instead. Why dont all cars automatically ghost each other all the time, this nulifies stupidity. For the purist racers out there I think if you pull a legit overtake move, you could maybe get a bonus perhaps in game credits / have a driver league biased towards clean pass points accrued? (king of the overtakers has more prestige than fastest qualifier for me) Ive no interest in sport mode, because of derp drivers, penalties & long waits between races. I enjoy my driving solo with good music & crucially without anyone else interfering with my joyride...

VBR

The closest to slowing drivers down by computer controlled system are, the virtual yellow flag zones. This is where the drivers must maintain a set speed until cleared to proceed back up to race speeds.

I guess PD had to do it this way, as to not confuse players, if there was indeed a yellow flag situation. Having them float on the side, as opposed to placing virtual lights or even painting on the sides of courses, in those zones. Just a few thoughts.

Just hope Real World track limits become pretty much forgivable. Autopolis and Interlagos still have stupid part of track limit, how can we get penalty if we just taken outside part of track and not even have advantage but still get some penalty.

Other that I hope they make penalty spot into 2 even 3 area rather than 1. Like on Maggiore we can used at backstraight before downhill, start area, and after turn 4. It will give you better time to catch up in front if you get some penalty.

I’ve seen and experienced many accidents as cars unghost from serving their penalties so it’s far from perfect. But I do think it’s a much better solution because it effectively makes penalties more severe so the deterrence factor just went way up :cheers:

Finally. I was wondering whatever happened to this coming to sport mode. I remember reading about it awhile ago and thought it was gonna be available asap but I guess it was just for those esports events that GT be having.

A part of me hopes there are no penalty zones directly in front of the start/finish line on the last lap so that anyone who dumps you in the final moments gets the time forcibly added on to their finish.

The races with slower cars especially hurt. The Mini Race saw me shoved out of the way on the last lap. His penalty was served with little consequence because I had to spend an hour re-accelerating.

And yeah, obligatory "The Penalty System is Broken" comment as I got dived on by a Porsche today and yet received a 1 second Penalty for something completely out of my control

That's what it is now. :sly:
I was thinking first past the post would get a score that could be potentially usurped by someone who had got more clean passes in a race. That way your creating a culture of racecraft rather than just first at all costs, which seems to create rash driving. Being slowed down is unpalatable as a penalty and the AI doesnt seem able to apportion blame fairly at the moment its a very subjective thing. Potentially being slowed down for an incident thats not your fault is galling.

Just hope Real World track limits become pretty much forgivable. Autopolis and Interlagos still have stupid part of track limit, how can we get penalty if we just taken outside part of track and not even have advantage but still get some penalty.

Other that I hope they make penalty spot into 2 even 3 area rather than 1. Like on Maggiore we can used at backstraight before downhill, start area, and after turn 4. It will give you better time to catch up in front if you get some penalty.

I hope they make it more strict. It's not that you gain time by going wide, it's that you create a hazard when returning to the track.

The problem is, the game can't distinguish between having to go wide to avoid an accident or from over driving your car. It would be kinda harsh to end up with a penalty for preventing a secondary collision. That often already happens, yet with penalty zones it would be even more an incentive to gamble with the penalty system instead of avoiding and getting a penalty anyway.

Latest Posts

Back