New Penalty System killed the "racing" in GTS

• Thread starter bmxmitch
  • 266 comments
I have a penalties question but not sure which topic to ask in but do you get an extra minute on your penalty at
the end of the race if you don't take the penalty?

I just finished an online sport race and came 3rd but had 1.3 second penalty which I got on the last lap and at
the final set of corners so there was nowhere to slow down or stop to take the penalty without hindering the
rest of the race so I came 6th as it came to 2 mins in the end.

Overall in D rank driver rating it seems the racing is a bit better than it's been, not so much ramming and
I haven't seen the dread orange SR rating in all my races so far today but I guess things may change again
tomorrow with the update.

I have a penalties question but not sure which topic to ask in but do you get an extra minute on your penalty at
the end of the race if you don't take the penalty?

I just finished an online sport race and came 3rd but had 1.3 second penalty which I got on the last lap and at
the final set of corners so there was nowhere to slow down or stop to take the penalty without hindering the
rest of the race so I came 6th as it came to 2 mins in the end.

Overall in D rank driver rating it seems the racing is a bit better than it's been, not so much ramming and
I haven't seen the dread orange SR rating in all my races so far today but I guess things may change again
tomorrow with the update.

I assume you mean an extra second and not minute.

But not exactly, what it does is it rounds up your penalty to the second above.

So 1.5second penalty changes to 2 seconds.
1.1 second goes to 2 seconds.
4 second penalty stays at 4, but 4.001 goes to 5 seconds

So the game is starting to lack SR/DR S drivers? It must be if it isn't capable of filling races with them at SR S.

It always has. DR-S is a super small cross section of players while SR-S is far more rare than people give it credit for. Having DR-S and DR-A together is no biggie. Even mixing in high DR-B is fine.

But when low B's, C's,m and D's are in the same room, the skill spread is simply too great.

I have just recently started playing online with gt sport and one thing I have noted is that with the latest update with the penalty system, is that races have gotten much cleaner. Having a sensitive penalty system has people picking their passes much smarter due to the fact that there are consequences to your actions. In a real racing situation (which I have plenty of, coming from a background in pavement modifieds and late models) large contact can be catastrophic to both parties in terms of suspension damage and the whatnot. One thing that noone is taking into account though is the large amount of situational awareness that is lost in translation from real life to sim racing. In a real life situation you have peripheral vision, as well as being able to hear and feel your opponent. With two evenly matched drivers, this can make for clean, competitive side by side racing. When it comes to Sims, you don't have this so much and more give and take is needed. Another thing that comes to mind is, when y'all are practicing, do you ever try running different lines so that you know how to better approach overtaking and defending situations? Or is everyone just going for fast laps? Because when it comes down to actual racing, that is a huge thing to know. One more thing to mention, I had a race the other day where I had some slight rubs here and there with no penalties. At the end of the race, my SR was in orange (I'm currently a Dr B, Sr S) yet I got a clean race bonus. What gives?

I have just recently started playing online with gt sport and one thing I have noted is that with the latest update with the penalty system, is that races have gotten much cleaner.
I dunno about cleaner, I'm still encountering rammers and dirty overtakes. Most end race results look like this now. And it's mostly DR C/B/A SR S. Penalty system is too harsh.

Attachments

• Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180305103209.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180305103209.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180306151210.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180306151210.png
    76 KB · Views: 49
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180306162339.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180306162339.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180309125140.png
    Gran Turismo®SPORT_20180309125140.png
    89.7 KB · Views: 50
Wow, that is a whole mess of penalties. Funny thing is, after posting this I raced twice at interlagos in GR.4. the first race I started p15 and drove up to p6 thanks to a combination of penalties and mistakes and the second race I started p6, ran up to p4 then got penalized 1.3 seconds for running wide and then once up to speed got whacked by all the passing traffic and penalized, ended up p10. However, the initial penalty was due to me over driving a corner which really makes the following ones my fault as well. Pehaps if they turned the damage up and the penalties down then we could get a bit more competitive racing without fear of penalty for minor contact. Because I do agree that penalties for slight rubs is ridiculous.

It always has. DR-S is a super small cross section of players while SR-S is far more rare than people give it credit for. Having DR-S and DR-A together is no biggie. Even mixing in high DR-B is fine.

But when low B's, C's,m and D's are in the same room, the skill spread is simply too great.

I see S so rarely

Check this out i didn't made any contact but because that idiot go over the kerb i got a 3 sec penalty.

Idiot?

I think you stopped the recording to soon, and always keep all data on when you post something like that.

I see S so rarely

Idiot?

I think you stopped the recording to soon, and always keep all data on when you post something like that.
i have the replay saved ill post it when i can but long story short i overtook him & served the penalty when i had a gap.

I`m a very clean racer. I always leave space and don`t bump anybody. Today I raced the first time with the new DR SR system. In 4 races I didn`t ones hit anyone. I did got hit by others. Only 4 races and my DR went from 23500 to 19000 and SR from 99 to 70. As a proof I send my history that you see I`m a clean driver. I think the system is very wrong!

gwo7JS

gwo7JS

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180311-192143.png
    Screenshot_20180311-192143.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 38
I`m a very clean racer. I always leave space and don`t bump anybody. Today I raced the first time with the new DR SR system. In 4 races I didn`t ones hit anyone. I did got hit by others. Only 4 races and my DR went from 23500 to 19000 and SR from 99 to 70. As a proof I send my history that you see I`m a clean driver. I think the system is very wrong!

gwo7JS

gwo7JS
Where can you find them?

Gr.4 at Interlagos. Accidental throttle slide in a hairpin and tap from behind. 4 seconds. No bother. I'll serve on the downhill straight so I don't lose so much.

Inside exiting turn three. Another swings across for a penalty and taps my side. 15 seconds added! Have to practically park.

He later passes me clean. I notice no contact. 3 seconds. Last place. Later gain 2 for others serving time.

This isn't racing.

Not sure whether it's been mentioned but I was lapping people today in the Manufacturers race and they now ghost? They never used to as I was so scared to get anywhere near them due to knowing how severe this thing is! But got within a tenth and instant ghost. When on the border of that they ghost in and out constantly which can be a bit scary. But just a heads up if it isn't noted :).

Not sure whether it's been mentioned but I was lapping people today in the Manufacturers race and they now ghost? They never used to as I was so scared to get anywhere near them due to knowing how severe this thing is! But got within a tenth and instant ghost. When on the border of that they ghost in and out constantly which can be a bit scary. But just a heads up if it isn't noted :).

And you can ghost draft right through them. Worked pretty well on BB raceway yesterday working together with a back marker to get ahead. The real driving simulator :)

I still react as if they aren't ghost when I lap them, I often forget that they ghost now so sometimes i jerk the wheel and screw up. But apparently you can draft off them.

I complained about this happening at the beginning of the penalty patch, but as the weeks have gone on, it's getting better. I'm having cleaner races and some good tight racing. I'm not a fan of the bumper tap penalties still and still think the penalty system needs a tweak, but I race with what we currently have and am making the most of it.

This is a great race I had the other night at Blue moon raceway. Shows that you can have close racing with the new penalty system no problem.

So after a new penalty system, those who can race their DR/S and SR/S, are really talented. Those who are not that level yet, they will keep their main account and start smurfing.

So after a new penalty system, those who can race their DR/S and SR/S, are really talented. Those who are not that level yet, they will keep their main account and start smurfing.
Thanks to the New system I went up from C C to A A on my main . I was slow due to idiots sending me into The sand . I hope PD keeps it. All the whiners need to accept the fact racing is a NO contact sport . Stay the hell away from other cars . Idealy PD should adjust the strictnes based on your SR . Once you get into A rank it should go into no mercy mode .

The penalties are harsh but it’s trial by fire, we’ll see what this Sunday night update brings. Yeah rubbings racing, I’m all for that but if you look at real racing, there really isn’t that much contact.

Don’t go back to the old friendly penalty system, I’m sure there’s a middle ground, however, if they don’t adjust it this time, I wouldn’t be mad.

Thanks to the New system I went up from C C to A A on my main . I was slow due to idiots sending me into The sand . I hope PD keeps it. All the whiners need to accept the fact racing is a NO contact sport . Stay the hell away from other cars . Idealy PD should adjust the strictnes based on your SR . Once you get into A rank it should go into no mercy mode .

The penalties are harsh but it’s trial by fire, we’ll see what this Sunday night update brings. Yeah rubbings racing, I’m all for that but if you look at real racing, there really isn’t that much contact.

Don’t go back to the old friendly penalty system, I’m sure there’s a middle ground, however, if they don’t adjust it this time, I wouldn’t be mad.

Again, totally disagree with your standpoints!
Racing is NOT a no-contact sport. In open-wheel racing yes, but every other class has small contacts. And I said small, no dive-bombing or break-checking.
But do they get punished for trading a little paint? No!
What we have (or had) with 1.13 is a absolute joke and needed a quick fix. Even PD recognized it now and worked on it. I just hope the new update brought the racing back to GTS.

And once again, before someone starts with it again, I'm not an unfair racer that likes to force his way to the top. But I'm sick of getting penalties for NOTHING, or getting slightly touched.
It felt like the Penalty System was run by an extreme feminist justice warrior. Oh, he touched you slightly? Give him punishment #metoo :lol:

Okay guys

". Sports Mode
 - The judgement algorithms for the Sportsmanship Rating (SR) and Penalties have been adjusted."

It's either 30 second penalties for being within 3 feet of another car or increased amount of contact for penalty

Fingers crossed đź‘Ť

@bmxmitch I was once exhaust called by a passing M6 GT3. When I confronted the driver over this abuse he told me the car was called Hugh Mungus and it's a bit of a Lexusizer.

Last edited:
The new system is making the racing better in my experience. I did 3 races at BB Raceway on Saturday (DRB/SRS), and aside from one moron in my second race had very clean racing overall. Into the first corner each time the racing was generally clean. My SR went up in 2 of the 3 races (Blue S), and down in the other (Red S). SR rating 99 after the 3 races.

Don't agree, ran a 3 race-a-round 7 round user made M4 GT4 single make series (with success weight to even the field in race 2 and more in race 3 and damage on full) last week and a bit before and I got, wait for it, zero contact penalties. Yes there was a little bit of nudging going on in the odd race here and there but few and far between, nothing that will kill anyones SR/DR rating. I was overtaken plenty of times, in tight situations, and visa versa. I know its not sport mode but I got a clean race bonus in almost all the races. DR and SR intact if that was sport mode.

Main thing is you can have an epic fight without touching anyones car. The odd time you get it wrong and lean on someone will fix itself by the end of the race.

Check out my profile life log, and see all the verrrry close racing, without contact.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/gtsport/user/profile/1328511/activities

All of those little nudges would give you at least 2 second penalties at S Driver Rating (at least before this update).

Lobby system is different

Oh right, well, in that case I hope they've sorted it. Small nudges aside, I got a clean race bonus most times and still had battles :) .

FYI: I know lobby system is different, just didn't do anything that would of picked on me in Sport mode. I thought this overly sensitive-ness was just DR + SR reducing, rather than 2 sec pens

Back