New Polo thread: Honey, I shrunk the GTI - Post #79

• Thread starter Philly
  • 96 comments

Philly

Phillium
Premium
Autoblog
According to Automotive News, Volkswagen has determined that Americans might like a Polo, so it's bringing the 80-hp subcompact Stateside in the not-too-distant future. Until now, the importation of the Polo was all conjecture, but now we have confirmation, straight from the horse's mouth. No specifics were given about the diminutive hatchback's U.S. debut, but Volkswagen Group of America CEO Stefan Jacoby confirmed they think the time is right. The automaker feels that Americans are more open to smaller, more fuel-efficient vehicles following the summer of high gas prices and the struggling economy.

The car, which would slot in between the Toyota Yaris and the larger Honda Fit in size, could be built at the company's plant in Puebla, Mexico. Although they've never sold anything smaller than the Rabbit/Golf in the States, VW thinks the Polo could help them reach their goal of tripling U.S. sales over the next ten years. The latest genereation of the Polo is set to debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, but it's unclear if we will be getting that model or its predecessor. We just hope the Polo GTI version is in the cards.

*linky*

My question is: what engines are we likely to see? I don't see VW bringing over their 1.2 in this car, so maybe the 1.4? Or would they rather go with a non-turbo 1.8 TFSI, with a turbo available in GTI form or something.

I see that the Polo is undercutting the Golf's price by a good few thousand pounds in the UK, so if they can get it starting around $13,000 or so, this'll be a pretty sweet car for the money.

Last edited:
001__scaled_600.jpg

Hooray! I'm actually surprised that its taken them this long to actually decide on it, the way in which money has otherwise been thrown at small cars recently, this one seems like a no-brainer.

But there are two concerns, as Phill pointed out:

1) How much?
2) Which engine?

My guess would be that VW would kick over the 1.6L model, running 105 BHP and 115 lb-ft. If it slots in size between the Yaris and Fit, chances are, its potent enough... But the main concern would be fuel economy. Now, if VW really wanted to do something drastically awesome and really bring in some crazy sales ala the TDI Jetta, they'd offer the BlueMotion.

Seeing as how they're raised the price of the Rabbit a bit (now starts at $16,300), your assumption on a $13K start price seems reasonable. The big question, I assume, is going to be where it will slot in against the Fiesta, which will arguably be this car's primary competition.

Believe you me, I have a hard time between it and the Fiesta.

I don't see VW bringing over their 1.2 in this car, so maybe the 1.4?
I'd like to see a marque like VW push for smaller engines in this country. Not just offering them but highlighting them as the "green," fuel-efficient option. With the current market as it is, it's a great opportunity to wean the average Joes off of their 3.0+ Liter V6s.

I see that the Polo is undercutting the Golf's price by a good few thousand pounds in the UK, so if they can get it starting around $13,000 or so, this'll be a pretty sweet car for the money.
That's the thing, with the Rabbit selling for just $16k, which is already entry-level, the Polo will have to be quite cheap to make a name for itself next to its bigger brother.

America, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Engine wise, I'm guessing a 1.8. I mean it works perfectly well here with a 1.4 (or at a pinch a 1.2), but judging by VW USA's uncanny ability to squeeze virtually nothing out of a large engine (the 2.5 in the Rabbit springs to mind) it'll have to be at least that if they want it to actually move. It'd be quite nice to see it with the diesel from the Jetta TDI, but who knows.

It's not actually as small as everyone would like you to believe. We test drove one last year (a Bluemotion, as it happens) we could have quite easily lived with it size wise. The boot was pretty reasonable, and rear legroom wasn't a problem either (and we were downsizing from a Freelander at the time, bear in mind). And it was economical, reasonably well equipped, comfortable and easy to park. And reliable. And held its value well.

So naturally, we bought something else.

-> I saw the Polo Bluemotion at the 2007 LA Auto Show and it had that decent size. And I was persistent on VW USA of bringing the Polo here. :)

-> Please give us the TDI/Bluemotion (as the Eco mule) and the Twincharged GT (for Hooligans). ;)

America, prepare to be underwhelmed.

You're right, the Polo isn't particularly special, but then VW haven't specified which Polo yet, have they? Am I right in thinking the current Skoda Fabia and Seat Ibiza use the next gen Polo platform? If I am right, then again the next Polo is shaping up to be a nice little car.

The Polo at the moment is just a bit of a fish out of water in the market over here. It used to have the quality thing sewn up when all small cars were rattley cheap things, but then the MINI arrived and made it look silly, and the Fabia was there offering a more interesting drive and better looks yet even cheaper, whilst in the meantime the French were getting the hang of making their cars out of sturdier stuff than tin foil.

When VW finally "finished off" the Polo as it were, with the GTI model above, it was just underwhelming next to the excellent Golf GTI. And then Mazda gave us the 2 and Ford the new Fiesta, which have made the Polo look and feel very, very old.

The next Polo needs to actually be special, and have a USP that the current one lacks.

And when they ship it to the States, I'd think that you'd want a Bluemotion model, a normal 1.9tdi for a bit more performance, and maybe the 1.4 TSI (turbo/supercharged). That should be more than enough.

Built in Mexico? Has it occurred to them that there's a reason Americans consider VAG cars unreliable?

Built in Mexico? Has it occurred to them that there's a reason Americans consider VAG cars unreliable?

At least we know it'll hold a lot of people.

this is the second time that "polo US Bound" rumors have popped up. i think it kind of depends on Porsche, now that they have controlling interest. I agree, though...they'd bring up a mexican assembled version, instead.

if they do, the DEFAULT would have to be a version of the GTI...I can't see a polo deisel over here. americans have a long memory for pieces of crap :P

if they do, the DEFAULT would have to be a version of the GTI...I can't see a polo deisel over here. americans have a long memory for pieces of crap :P
And a short memory of when petrol gets "expensive"? You guys need to eat more oily fish or lay off the weed if that's your problem.

In all fairness, a 1.8 GTi probably seems ultra-eco if most automakers are boasting about the fuel economy from their 3.5 litre V6s.

Fantastic,hope it happens. Mayby thats got something to do with the VW Plant being built in my neiboring city of Chattanooga. As of yet they have'nt disclosed what models it will produce. Plant is slated to open in 2011.

In all fairness, a 1.8 GTi probably seems ultra-eco if most automakers are boasting about the fuel economy from their 3.5 litre V6s.

How bad could it really be?

Considering that an average fuel economy of 23 MPG is still considered "good" in this country, yeah. Anything will work.

The MKVI Golf will be using the 1.8 here. Would VW use the same engine in the Polo? Or does the 1.6 even meet US requirements?

Where it will be built is another good question I think. I don't believe they've assigned anything other than that mysterious mid-size for the Chattanooga plant, and I'm guessing the MKVIs will be built where the MKVs currently are. Perhaps they'll just put up a few extra lines wherever the Polo is currently built?

Well, considering that they're only building Jettas down in Mexico these days, I'm sure there is plenty of capacity to take the Polo on if need be.

I want the 1.2L and the TDI in this car. That's the ONLY reason this car needs to be in the US. There is no point in a small hatch if it isn't specifically about saving petrol.

1st off, I hope you're referring to Volkswagens, not VAG.
2nd, even so, I think many Americans actually have no worries about Volkswagen reliability, and instead, are pretty fond of them.

Reventón;3281026
1st off, I hope you're referring to Volkswagens, not VAG.
2nd, even so, I think many Americans actually have no worries about Volkswagen reliability, and instead, are pretty fond of them.

Till they own one. And hate it because of the failing electronics. Plus there is the whole reputation of the New Beetle still. Rolling pile of fail.

Ask anyone that actually has owned a VW and they will have some story about it being in the shop far too soon/often.

Smaller is better, but only people looking to be "different" will pick up these. Unless VW brings over a fine turbo-diesel model. Otherwise it will be another drop in the pond with a small ripple.

Reventón;3281112
Does he hate it, though?

Wow, assume much? And you know what they say about assuming.

I do hate VW. They don't, but they also won't speak virtues of the reliability of a VW.

Did anyone but you say anything about hate?
Jesus, I hate it when people don't read entire threads that aren't even 3 pages long. Else, you would found the answer to your question.

Go read post #21, or better yet, the one Azuremen just posted....

Reventón;3281097
I'm sure Philly & Foolkiller as well as Brad will say otherwise.

Till they own one. And hate it because of the failing electronics. Plus there is the whole reputation of the New Beetle still. Rolling pile of fail.

Oh, I see what you did there. Except they refers to the general public, not the VW owners of this forum.

Again, assumptions.

Oh, I see what you did there. Except they refers to the general public, not the VW owners of this forum.

Again, assumptions.
Are they not part of the general public, though? Besides, they are/were still technically owners, so they may not agree with your second statement about them being in the shop too often.

Back