New Polo thread: Honey, I shrunk the GTI - Post #79

• Thread starter Philly
  • 96 comments
I'd be looking the other way for the Polo, down to the 1.6L engine. Considering that it is small, and presumably they will be selling it on the whole "green" and "fuel efficient" tag line, the 1.6L would be more than adequate to get the car to 60 MPH in less than ten seconds and return some pretty good fuel economy numbers (should be good for 32+ MPG on average). Its nothing against the 1.8T, I think there is a distinct possibility for us getting it if they send us a GTi model stateside... But it would be overkill to have 150 BHP in a little car like that against the Fit, Yaris, Fiesta and Aveo. That, and it pretty much wipes away the need for the real GTI... Almost.

150hp!

Awesome. Why would we still want GTI? That sounds rather kickass. Any shortcomings of the GTi versus full-size GTI could well be altered, if not cured, with the predictable price gap between.

Oh no, did I just say something American?

So, this is what we're supposed to be getting:

db2009au00250_medium_opt.jpg

Autoblog
Volkswagen is trotting out its new fifth-generation Polo at the Geneva Motor Show tomorrow, but we've got a slew of details and images of the new model to share today. Looking very much like a shrunken Pygmy Golf, it may take a trained eye to tell the difference between VW's newest hatchback and the current one at first glance. Volkswagen's keen to point out that the new Polo is a full 7.5% lighter than the outgoing model despite growing in every meaningful dimension, and it's still expected to score a perfect 5-star safety rating in Euro NCAP crash testing.

In Germany, the Polo will come with your choice of four gasoline and three diesel engines, many equipped with turbochargers and direct injection. VeeDub's latest 7-speed DSG transmission will also be available on select models. The most frugal trim will carry the BlueMotion badge and attain 62 mpg (U.S.) in European combined testing with just 96 grams CO2 per kilometer, which makes it the most fuel efficient diesel-burning 5-seater in the world.

Sales are slated to begin in Germany by the end of June with the rest of Europe coming just two weeks later. In case you missed it earlier, the Polo is finally coming to America, possibly as early as 2010, so VW definitely has our interest piqued.

I vote yay!

I'm not complaining.

Neither am I. But VW don't seem to have really tried.

Actually, I do think it looks better than a Golf. And given that it's probably nearer the size of a Mk2 Golf, it's more the sort of size I like too. Looking at the weights of the current models, a 7.5% reduction in weight may mean that some models may even dip below 1000kg.

Now let's have a Bluemotion and a GTi version 👍

I like that car oh so very much. That exterior is absolutely fantastic! They have done such a great job making it look like the economy car that it is, yet also making it look like it's worth $20k. And that rear. Everything they put into it is a recipe for disaster, and yet it comes out looking oh so good.

And that interior. Wow. Again, a purely genius job of making a place that doesn't look too costly to make, and yet looks like a place I would want to drive all the way across the country in, and back, just because.

Sounds like it's an amazing vehicle mechanically too. The huge weight loss is a truly great thing too. It shows in the amazing efficiency numbers, and I'm sure they will help make it a blast to drive.

Ladies and Gentlemen, cars like these are what makes VW VW. This is a car that is quite possibly more desirable than the M3 (to me), and it's an entry level car.

:drool:

Actually, I do think it looks better than a Golf.

I'd say that outside of the Passat CC, its the best-looking car VW produces right now. The big deal is that it is a very "clean" shape overall, and that seems to be increasingly hard to find these days.

But, skip the luxury items in the car, and hand me one with the 1.6L petrol, and I'd be very happy indeed. A MKII Golf redux is a good move on their behalf.

Oh and:

01-geneva_bluemotion-polo-concept_580op.jpg

Autoblog
Volkswagen revealed the all-new Polo concept, expected to come to the US market in the next couple of years. This new B-segment car comes in three- and five-door hatchback flavors with a range of gas and diesel engines, but the leader of the pack is the BlueMotion model with 96 g/km of CO2 emissions. More importantly, VW showed a concept for the next-gen. BlueMotion model that will launch in 2010.

The BlueMotion concept uses an updated 1.2L three cylinder TDI diesel, with 74 hp. Combined with 15-inch low rolling resistance tires, a blanked off grille, extended rocker panels for lower drag, automatic start stop, and brake energy regeneration. The bottom line is 71.3 mpg (US) and 87 g/km of CO2 emissions. That makes the new BlueMotion the most efficient five passenger internal combustion car on the road.

I'm doubting that we'd ever see the BlueMotion in the US, but nevertheless, its a good exercise in what a little fine tuning can do to build a massively efficient (and clean) small car.

Make mine a BlueMotion then.

And a GTI would definitely be good. Preferably on some rather nice BBS alloys. If VW can make it handle then it'd be an absolutely storming car.

BUMP

"VW to sell a larger Polo in the U.S."

AutoBlogGreen
Since the Golf/Rabbit has grown a little large to be considered an economy car anymore, Volkswagen has announced the comeback of the Polo (also known as the Fox). The car is currently in its 5th generation in Europe, and its lineup starts with 1.2-liter and ends up with a GTI version running on gasoline. On the diesel side, there's a 1.4-liter engine (the base for the BlueMotion version) and a powerful 1.9-liter model. Unfortunately, it's unlikely that the U.S. will get these diesels or even the same model. VW's Stefan Jacoby said that the U.S.-market Polo will be larger, with a longer wheelbase and more headroom, "like a cross between a compact minivan and a hatchback." Are we supposed to this this is a Honda Fit beater? While mostly unknown in Europe, the American Polo will also get a sedan version.

Source

So, unfortunately you guys might not be getting the handsome, lithe little thing above, but a larger, taller and probably more bloated example.

looks more like they photocopied a Chevy AVEO!
and Home is right, of course...they're gonna have to blow it up to fit the 500 kilos worth of airbags and safety braces required by US safety gurus. the only Benefit would be that they'd HAVE to poke the Diesel in just to make it move!

and, of course there HAS to be a sedan. the guys in charge are now over 70, and the insurance companies consider anything with less or more than 4 doors a major insurance risk...if it's not a truck :P

Source

So, unfortunately you guys might not be getting the handsome, lithe little thing above, but a larger, taller and probably more bloated example.

Its not terrible news, and to some extent, I think it was to be expected. Either way, it will be smaller and cheaper than the Rabbit/Golf, and seeing as how VW is completely missing that segment altogether right now (which is otherwise dominated by the Honda Fit), its a good move on their behalf.

Although, I think this pretty much solidifies me in the position to go after a Ford Fiesta now. Well, of course that assumes that the 500 won't get here on time. That would likely change everything.

omg the whole F'ing point of the Polo is to be a tiny city car that gets good mpg. Making one BIGGER FOR AMERICA DEFEATS THE WHOLE PURPOSE. America has accepted the Smartcar so lets see more city cars.

Meh.

I'm not sold on the corporate face, at all. Looks like the Golf, which is a dead ringer for the Scirocco. And I doubt this'll look good on a Jetta...

And still not a Fiesta.

So basically, they'll be getting a Polo MPV then? Which presumably means we'll get it as a Polo Plus or something too. I can't begin to explain my excitement at the prospect of another useless-sized cross MPV.

oh and:

01-geneva_bluemotion-polo-concept_580op.jpg

i'm doubting that we'd ever see the bluemotion in the us, but nevertheless, its a good exercise in what a little fine tuning can do to build a massively efficient (and clean) small car.

do want!

This is the one we really want:

Link to VWVortex

VWVortex
Volkswagen has released the first photos (but no text yet) of the new Polo GTI, presumably to be shown the Geneva Auto Show in a few weeks. Autocar in the UK is reporting that the new Polo GTI is powered by a 177hp 1.4l TSI (twin-charger) with a seven-speed DSG gearbox and VW's XDS differential found in the Golf VI GTI.

There are no current plans to offer the Polo here in the U.S. Volkswagen of America is always evaluating the possibility, particular with sub-compacts like the Honda Fit selling a bit better in recent months. Click on the Gallery link below for larger images.

pologti10241.jpg

It looks good and I really want that twincharger engine. I'm sure it gets great fuel economy while also being pretty quick. 177 hp with a torque curve as flat as this one probably is in a small car makes for some pretty quick acceleration, especially for the segment. And I'm sure the handling is excellent.

I'd gladly have one to replace the GTI.

Looks like the designer's office at VW are going to need to buy photocopier toner in bulk soon.

I like that car oh so very much. That exterior is absolutely fantastic! They have done such a great job making it look like the economy car that it is, yet also making it look like it's worth $20k. And that rear. Everything they put into it is a recipe for disaster, and yet it comes out looking oh so good.

And that interior. Wow. Again, a purely genius job of making a place that doesn't look too costly to make, and yet looks like a place I would want to drive all the way across the country in, and back, just because.

Sounds like it's an amazing vehicle mechanically too. The huge weight loss is a truly great thing too. It shows in the amazing efficiency numbers, and I'm sure they will help make it a blast to drive.

Ladies and Gentlemen, cars like these are what makes VW VW. This is a car that is quite possibly more desirable than the M3 (to me), and it's an entry level car.

:drool:

I couldn't agree more with you Philly !!

And coming from a Bmw fan such as myself, this should be a huge compliment to VW. I WANT ONE OF those Polos! 👍 👍 👍 👍 :drool:

d183d0c3edfc70659b1a384fd5d7eb79.jpg
BEAUTIFUL !

b0ec274f742e48c0d78b3d794f3810eb.jpg

Meanwhile, In Russia...

db2010au00645largeopt.jpg

This here is the new Polo Sedan from Volkswagen, thus far a Russian-market exclusive. See, they have a similar bass-ackwards issue with saloons versus hatchbacks that we Americans have, so Volkswagen not wanting to miss out on making oooodles of cash, they did a special. Of course, knowing that they want to make mega ooooodles of cash, this will probably come to the US later on next year.

Time to polish that old Fox name, Volkswagen. Do that, and you've got a guaranteed sale from me. Sorry Ford.

Time to polish that old Fox name, Volkswagen. Do that, and you've got a guaranteed sale from me. Sorry Ford.

I'd probably be in the market for one too, depending on what my car situation is like at the time. I really hope the hatchback makes it here.

Also, I'm thinking this thing will be pretty cheap. With the Jetta starting at $15k, maybe we'll see the Polo starting at around $13k or something?

If they're expecting the Jetta to start at $14,990 they've got an odd place to kick things off with the ol' Polo then. Looking at the Fiesta, if memory serves, that starts around $13,495 for the standard sedan version. My guess is that Volkswagen would want to fly in around $13K, it seems to be a sweet spot for a lot of smaller cars these days. But, if they really do want to hit that 800K sales mark, yeah, they should look into finding a way to sell the car for little more than $13,500 with a decent amount of kit standard.

For me, I'd just want to have a spiritual successor to my old Fox. Despite it being a Brazillian-built/designed piece of junk (to most), the simplicity of its design was brilliant. If the Polo can do the same thing, that would be totally rad. Low-output engine, five speed gearbox, a CD player and power windows/locks are really all I need. Automakers love to have that "race for the bottom" with cars like the Versa 1.6 and Aveo LS, but in reality its more about packing as much value into an affordable, efficient car as possible. This could be the car to do it.

For me, I'd just want to have a spiritual successor to my old Fox. Despite it being a Brazillian-built/designed piece of junk (to most), the simplicity of its design was brilliant. If the Polo can do the same thing, that would be totally rad. Low-output engine, five speed gearbox, a CD player and power windows/locks are really all I need. Automakers love to have that "race for the bottom" with cars like the Versa 1.6 and Aveo LS, but in reality its more about packing as much value into an affordable, efficient car as possible. This could be the car to do it.

I donno how simple it'll be. My guess is that they'd want to throw one of their small TSI engines in there like they have in Europe. And I wouldn't be surprised to see them throw in a DSG box for good measure. So then you'd end up with something with as much going on under the hood as my GTI which is pretty complicated. Although seeing them do that for cheap would be interesting.

I'm also hoping that the Polo we get has a good interior. That would be a great selling point for the car. But again, asking VW to do that much for $13k sounds like a bit of a stretch. Those TSI engines are pretty pricey (I'd assume) and they don't really have anything else to put in the car unless something came from some other market.

I've had a snoop around a new Polo over here and it's a quality bit of kit. The inside is easily up to the same standards as the Golf. It's a much more desirable car, for me. Mostly because it's the size a Golf used to be.

Incidentally, Autocar have reviewed the Polo GTI.

They seem to like it (there's a properv first drive review in the magazine and on the website), though predictably it's not as exciting to drive as the Clio Cup and Fiesta.

Still, it ticks all the right boxes. Quick enough for most people, handles well enough, looks good, fantastic interior (love the tartan seats), DSG 'box. The only real issue for it is whether it's better than the mechanically very similar but much cheaper Seat Ibiza Cupra and Skoda Fabia vRS. The Skoda can be had as a wagon which makes it a whole lot more practical, and the Seat is a very good looking little car, and pretty cheap.

car_photo_323032_25.jpg

car_photo_372124_25.jpg

As usual, VW's toughest competition is from itself.

I'd imagine that, since the Ibiza looks like it had an argument with Edward Scissorhands, the Polo has the edge simply by appealing to those of us who are blessed with eyes. And of course the Skoda sells its self to the sensible crowd, despite their attempts to jazz it up with multicoloured roofs (a la MINI) and cake (a la Mr Kipling).

The Polo's my favourite. Albeit by default.

I really wish car companies would stop making all their models look exactly the same.
It's their choice... But AUDI is the worst of them all! between the A4-A6-A8....
please dont get me wrong, AUDIs are beautiful cars, i like them, but the family trait is well OVER(the-edge) Over-played IMO, it's actually ticking me off... keeping me away from them in the Bavarian Camp.

db2010au00645largeopt.jpg

Volkswagen definitely have to dust off that Fox name and pull it back to American Soil... they can very well go off against the Yaris and show Suzuki and others how to make "cheap" good looking cars!

I'd imagine that, since the Ibiza looks like it had an argument with Edward Scissorhands, the Polo has the edge simply by appealing to those of us who are blessed with eyes. And of course the Skoda sells its self to the sensible crowd, despite their attempts to jazz it up with multicoloured roofs (a la MINI) and cake (a la Mr Kipling).

The Polo's my favourite. Albeit by default.
LOL agreed with you Jondot,

VW Polo Mk6 spotted completely undisguised
volkswagen-polo-6th-generation.jpg

volkswagen-polo-6th-generation.jpg

As ever, the Polo appears to be a shrunken version of the current Golf while the rear bears a strong resemblance to the new Ibiza. However, the Mk6 has grown in size so expect length to exceed the 4 metre mark.

Back