New PSM Issue #95 - New Gran Turismo News as Well as Review

  • Thread starter Thread starter birkmeyer03
  • 155 comments
  • 10,586 views
Messages
31
I just recieved the new PSM issue today, and they have a couple articles on it, one being a review. They state that the game is absolutely amazing when it comes to depth, sense of speed, graphics, and racing realism (except for one major flaw... read on). However, they also say how incredibly lame and easy it is for someone to win a race that their having problems with. First off, they say that, of course, there is no damage so someone can hurl themselves at another opponent with no side effects. Which can be used to go around turns entirely too fast to be realistic, and bumping off of opponents to stay on the track. It is also said that the AI has seen very little improvement from GT3 to GT4.

"...the merely minor AI upgrade and Polyphony's complete failure to fix the way Lunatic driving guarantees cheap wins. True (there are some upgrades in AI), but they still don't come close to taking advantage of opportunities off the racing line the way any real driver would. Between that and the invulnerablility of your car, cutting corners and "bounce" passing are failsafe, cheap-ass paths to victory. It's an astounding lapse in realism for a series that so highly prizes and touts its own authenticity." -PSM

They also state how the copy they reviewed was an import from Japan, but proceed to say that besides some minor changes to the soundtrack and car roster, our version (NA version) should be identical (not a WILL be identical, just a should be... lol).

"GT4 is... both highly real and completely unreal. W all fell in love with GT the first time out because it was so unprecedented, but on your fourth visit, you'll really wish the damn thing would evolve and live up to its potential. Still, it's riveting racing, it has its own undeniable charms, and although you know it inside and out, you'll relish seeing whats under its hood this time." -PSM

Also included on a separate 2 pages, they give a system in which you can play Gran Tursimo 4 online with the download of a free program and a broadband connection... cool stuff but too complicated to describe here (you'll have to pick up your own copy of the magazine).

**"...it will let you show your GT4 skills off online months before Sony releases whatever online version of expansion of GT4 it's planning." This may be new news for some, granted thats all the more that was mentioned about such a releasein this issue of the magazine.

To sum it up, I did not give a full coverage of the review (2 pages long w/ Images) or the online setup, so if you want it all, you'll have to pick up your own copy of PSM Issue 95. I only posted the information I found interesting. Hopefully it will be interesting to you too. 👍


-Birkmeyer03
 
birkmeyer03
**"...it will let you show your GT4 skills off online months before Sony releases whatever online version of expansion of GT4 it's planning." This may be new news for some, granted thats all the more that was mentioned about such a release.
-Birmkeyer03

Please elaborate. Thanks in advance.
 
meister_dan
Please elaborate. Thanks in advance.
They're going to release another disk later on that will let you to play GT4 Online, when they fix it up.
 
Should be getting mine tomorrow then? I am a subscriber in California.
 
hmm they sound kinda disappointed, i should be getting PSW today...
 
I hope my issue comes tomorrow. I can't wait to read the interview with Kaz. Or, was it not in this issue?
 
Sony new when creating gt4 that the AI was never going to be as good as humans, thats why they invented the point system so you can challange yourself or like you say it will be to easy.
 
I really dont think they should make a big deal out of the way you can potentially take cheat ways for winning races by cutting corners and using the AI for brakes. The reason being that any real gamer would not take those "cheat" ways to win the races. That's just my opinion since I know that the PS2' lacks in the power department thus not much room for human-like AI. Other than that it sounds like we have yet another GT that lives up to what we expect in a GT game.
 
it is a good game so what the **** are you talking about
 
stumpydino
hmm they sound kinda disappointed, i should be getting PSW today...

:lol: this surprises you why? No damage (not even simulated), no online, no 2 player/LAN garage cars races, no good AI, still cardboard 2D spectators (sorry some are 3D, but still looks lame), full of bugs and glitches... Of course they're dissapointed. 👎
 
Cobra_UK
:lol: this surprises you why? No damage (not even simulated), no online, no 2 player/LAN garage cars races, no good AI, still cardboard 2D spectators (sorry some are 3D, but still looks lame), full of bugs and glitches... Of course they're dissapointed. 👎

exsactly what i was going to say, also i wouldnt be suprized if every magazine *****es about the same exsact things.
 
gt3freak_2001
I really dont think they should make a big deal out of the way you can potentially take cheat ways for winning races by cutting corners and using the AI for brakes. The reason being that any real gamer would not take those "cheat" ways to win the races. That's just my opinion since I know that the PS2' lacks in the power department thus not much room for human-like AI. Other than that it sounds like we have yet another GT that lives up to what we expect in a GT game.


Isn't it about time that PD improved GT instead of giving us GT'1' with bells-and- whistles?

The ToCa/Pro Race Driver games have, for years, managed to supply you with opponants that actually seem to acknowledge that you exist, and will compete with you for the racing line/corners apex and not just drive around like sleep-driving drones existing in an alternative dimension.
 
DRIFT GOD
exactly what I was going to say, also i wouldn't be surprised if every magazine *****es about the same exact things.

Funny thing is there will still be over a thousand GT retard fans coming on the forums and saying that the magazine and internet reviewers are all wrong and so are we to criticise GT4.

:lol: GT4 is the bible to those morons, it's like church to them. KY/PD even published a GT4 bible. :crazy: The idiots are lapping it up. :lol:
 
Cobra_UK
Funny thing is there will still be over a thousand GT retard fans coming on the forums and aying that the magazine and internet reviewers are all wrong and so are we to criticise GT4.

:lol: GT4 is the bible to those morons, it's like church to them. KY/PD even published a GT4 bible. :crazy: The idiots are lapping it up. :lol:

Yes criticising the game is fine (i've got a big irritating list in my head with bit's I don't like), but it get's a bit old when you see it in the majority of your posts.
 
@ Race Idiot, mate, in all honesty. What I'm saying makes sense, GT4 doesn't. If I a nobody like me, nothing to do with the video games industry realises that GT4 could have been done better. If I can come up with an idea like simulated, icon system damage and I also realise what a monumental mistake would be to leave out the before mentioned 2 player/LAN features... What the **** were KY/PD thinking? I could ask about the Emotion AI engine? How about online? And the fact the game has been delayed for nearly 1 and a half years? I could go on.

I won't. Point is some guy on this thread, appie17 posted this when somebody dared to criticise GT4 "it is a good game so what the **** are you talking about". That's what got me started.
 
It's true the game could have been better, but I've been playing it for almost a month and I am very hard on rating games (I'll still tell you Elite and The Sentinel and the best two games ever made), and GT4 even in it's original Japanese form is the best game on PS2, no question about it, if that's not good enough for a magazine then I don't know what is
 
Cobra_UK
@ Race Idiot, mate, in all honesty. What I'm saying makes sense, GT4 doesn't. If I a nobody like me, nothing to do with the video games industry realises that GT4 could have been done better. If I can come up with an idea like simulated, icon system damage and I also realise what a monumental mistake would be to leave out the before mentioned 2 player/LAN features... What the **** were KY/PD thinking? I could ask about the Emotion AI engine? How about online? And the fact the game has been delayed for nearly 1 and a half years? I could go on.

Yes I understand that, but there are always things that are going to be missing. I'm annoyed at loads of things with the game, but they haven't stopped me enjoying what is there. Although the 2-Player memcard battle and no saving of any multiplayer replay did piss me off somewhat, because a major aspect in all the previous games was memory card battles with mates and then saving the replay to rub it in a bit. The game has several framerate jitters which are not on to be honest seeing as how long they spent making the game, also replays on some of the older tracks seem to have some odd graphical things going on during replays. The AI still has nothing on TOCA RD2's, but it is an improvement over GT3's with it actually not plowing into you on occasion, but still get disregarded if you are to the side of the car so you end up getting pushed to the outside of the tracks. I could think of a fair few other things that I don't like, but it would sound like a broken record.

Am I enjoying the game even with all it's flaws? Yes, hell yes just doing hotlaps on the Nurburgring with my (old) DF wheel is enough for me to warrant buying the game. Also the A-Spec points is a good way to find out if you'll get competitive racing. Also it seems that the English language verisions will be refined and one day we will get online mode. But at the moment I can't think of a game that i've enjoyed more on PS2.

Question, have you actually played the game?
 
Race Idiot, I agree 100%, just the Nurburgring and 5 of my favorite cars warrants buying the game easily, flaws and all nut I too am really pissed about the 2 player mode and the lack of saving replays. I think even if it had no garage mode but had the single screen replay and being able to save it would have kept me happy. I don't think a garage mode and no saving would help my current sadness about this :/. I haven't seen one single person that has the game on this forum say it's no good and I doubt anyone will, because it's a slightly flawed masterpiece
 
gt3freak_2001
I really dont think they should make a big deal out of the way you can potentially take cheat ways for winning races by cutting corners and using the AI for brakes. The reason being that any real gamer would not take those "cheat" ways to win the races. That's just my opinion since I know that the PS2' lacks in the power department thus not much room for human-like AI. Other than that it sounds like we have yet another GT that lives up to what we expect in a GT game.


TOTALLY agree. I don't see why people always complain about bouncing off cars, it drives me nuts! If someone bounces off the cars, that's THEIR choice. In real life the cars don't move out of your way if you come flying in. It's up to the driver to manuever around them, and that's how it is in the game.
 
themann42
TOTALLY agree. I don't see why people always complain about bouncing off cars, it drives me nuts! If someone bounces off the cars, that's THEIR choice. In real life the cars don't move out of your way if you come flying in. It's up to the driver to manuever around them, and that's how it is in the game.

Yeah, but if you have dammage (even just mechanical failures, not physical) it would keep you on your toes more. Most of the time I drive cleanly and try not to rub against the ai unless they are just being stupid or just brake at a place where they don't need to. But then sometimes when i'm tired I get lazy and start making contact with the cars, in Toca RD2 i'd end up with a car in bit's. Although I can remember a few times that the AI in Toca RD2 has intentionaly spun me out or into a gravel trap.
 
Cobra_UK
@ Race Idiot, mate, in all honesty. What I'm saying makes sense, GT4 doesn't. If I a nobody like me, nothing to do with the video games industry realises that GT4 could have been done better. If I can come up with an idea like simulated, icon system damage and I also realise what a monumental mistake would be to leave out the before mentioned 2 player/LAN features... What the **** were KY/PD thinking? I could ask about the Emotion AI engine? How about online? And the fact the game has been delayed for nearly 1 and a half years? I could go on.

I won't. Point is some guy on this thread, appie17 posted this when somebody dared to criticise GT4 "it is a good game so what the **** are you talking about". That's what got me started.

I hate when people start bringing up "delays." Our first OFFICIAL release date was for December 14, 2004. That was TWO (2) months ago. Until you can make a better game, quit critisizing GT4 for the little details. If you read the press release, you would know that a lot of things have been changed during the "delay" for PAL version, and most likely for NTSC U/C.
 
Cobra_UK
@ Race Idiot, mate, in all honesty. What I'm saying makes sense, GT4 doesn't. If I a nobody like me, nothing to do with the video games industry realises that GT4 could have been done better. If I can come up with an idea like simulated, icon system damage and I also realise what a monumental mistake would be to leave out the before mentioned 2 player/LAN features... What the **** were KY/PD thinking? I could ask about the Emotion AI engine? How about online? And the fact the game has been delayed for nearly 1 and a half years? I could go on.

I won't. Point is some guy on this thread, appie17 posted this when somebody dared to criticise GT4 "it is a good game so what the **** are you talking about". That's what got me started.

You are dumb :)

That is not a GT fanboy biased opinion, your view point is merely unintelligent. As are the people at OPM, and PSM, etc etc. I have met many of these people, you want to know how many of them are gamers? I can count on one hand. They are all journalists, few gamers.

GT4 is outstanding, nearly bug free, and enjoyable. The problem is you are looking for a racing game. This is not it. That has never really been the focus of Gran Turismo, IMO.

And you complain of damage, yet I know if they were to drop the visuals to something less impressive, you would be crying your eye's out asking why it is so...in fact I'd have to say, my friend, you are a hypocrite.

I can go on and on, but it would just be best if you didn't single out members, as I singled out you (to prove a point). Anyone can look stupid, and comments like yours make it easy for me to prove that point.

Have a good day!
 
I agree on the bouncing thing, Its the gamers choice, if thats what he wants, so be it.

The ONLY gripe I Could have with this game is the fact of 2 player Garage, I always love racing with my friends, to take out a feature thats been in every other incarnation of the series is nuts.

The thing is, theres only So much you can do with A racing game, seriously, you can only make it look so real, and play so real. but having set the bar up higher and making B-Spec mode, and Photomode, really adds alot more depth in my opinion, Im not happy about some cars, but this thread isnt about that. I have high expectations of GT4, and I have no doubt it'll live up to them.

Bouncing off cars isnt a "bad" thing, for a small kid that doesnt get into B-Spec that could be his thing. So really they have no right to complain since it helps younger people in their driving skills.
 
tha_con
GT4 is outstanding, nearly bug free

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php


Can I have your nearly bug free version! I'll swap you the Japanese and Asian versions that I own.
 
OK, perhaps I’m not making myself understood well enough.

I have an XBOX and a PSTwo and a PC. I always put playability before graphics. GT4 is an extremely beautiful game. Enthusia has better looking cars but worse tracks. Forza Motorsport has better cars and tracks but the lighting is wrong. HOWEVER. Both Enthusia and Forza Bring something new, something that enriches the gaming experience. GT4 is same as GT just much, much better graphics. Even worse, it’s actually less than GT in terms of playability due to the lack of multiplayer features. Sorry to say, but it’s not enough.

Now I could race in a stunning looking car on a stunning looking track. But with s**t AI my experience and the replay won’t cut it. How about 2 player? Well I can buy any car I want, increase it’s performance in every aspect, tune it to my style of driving. BUT I can’t race it against my friend’s prodigy like I use to. Even if I could I can’t save a memorable race replay for posterity.

How about having my car in the game? Well I have a classic BMW E30 hybrid in the shape that is still called the best looking BMW of all time. IT’S NOT IN GT4. It’s in Enthusia with it’s –250 cars and GT4 with 750+ car doesn’t have it.

Make the game challenging for me then. DAMAGE. Simulated, I go on track, abuse the car, hit other cars, loose control, I’ll pay for it dearly, I could even loose my car. OK not visual damage I understand, but at least simulated, just icons and numbers. NO? Can’t have that either.

Photo Mode and B-Spec, sorry not enough, nowhere nearly enough to make me think GT4 is this incredible improvement on previous GT3 and this masterpiece you’re all talking about. Not even going to mention ONLINE and those “almost” real replays where you see stupid ******g 2D cardboard or 3D spectators that did nothing for nobody in the first place.

I’m looking for FEATURES to improve my virtual driving experience by myself and with friends. Compared to GT3, GT4 is very much the same, if not worse due to lacking my multiplayer options/features.

Of course this is my take on it, but it’s honest and heartfelt…
 
Race Idiot
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php


Can I have your nearly bug free version! I'll swap you the Japanese and Asian versions that I own.

Visual errors are not bugs. A bug would be when the game crashes. Or wiping out a memory card. Or glitches in the credit system. I have seen no such thing. No mem card battles is not a bug...name some "bugs". REAL bugs.
 
Back