NEW Release GTEYE Progressive Brake Spring Mod for G25 G27

• Thread starter GTEYE
  • 126 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Dave. I reviewed most of those links prior to making the decision to test out the GTeye. From what I understand, and using feedback from a friend using it, the nixim is the spring to use IF using the pedals hardmounted to the race seat along withe thin soled shoes. The decision to try the GTeye was based on needing a spring the hopefully is a bit softer than the Nixim, while still providing more rate and progression than the stock spring.

I'm going to order the Nixim spring in a few weeks and test it too. How can you go wrong for 30 bucks.

Thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. Though please bear in mind that any credit you give to GT Eye is due to NIXIM as the GT Eye spring is a copy of what we have already done anyway with a slight tweak which actually makes the GT Eye spring approx 25% stronger than the NIXIM spring. A wheel is a wheel and a two stage spring is a two stage spring, so GT Eye have brought nothing new to the table, just copied the hard work of others.
However, without the buffer the GT Eye spring is inferior to the NIXIM mod as the NIXIM buffer gives that final tightening of the pedal that helps immensly with threshold braking.

Of course the basic two stage spring is far better than the stock spring, we know this as being as we did actually do months of development work, one of the springs we tested was a spring almost identical to the GT Eye spring, but decided a softer spring with the buffer whilst more expensive to produce - gives a much better feel.

However if you are prepared to give a fair and true comparison we welcome this as we have already been there ourselves and know what the results are.

We have had the GT Eye spring independently tested and we can give you the comparitive spring rates for you to compare if you wish.

Again thank you for your comments.

Dave

Are you claiming to have invented the two stage spring? dont make me laught... applying it to sim racing pedals perhaps but anyone can improove on that.
Cant you open your own thread instead... worried about sales drop?

Are you claiming to have invented the two stage spring? dont make me laught... applying it to sim racing pedals perhaps but anyone can improove on that.
Cant you open your own thread instead... worried about sales drop?

Nah!, don't be silly I never said that did I?

I said that GT Eye copied NIXIM's idea of making a two stage spring for the G27 pedal set - except GT EYE misslead you by calling it a three stage spring which it is not.

And drop in sales? you are kidding, since GT released his spring we have had a big boost in sales as most guys realise he has copied our work anyway - go check every forum he has posted in. They see his game - how come you missed it?

And If the guy has the audacity to post in a thread dedicated to the NIXIM version 2 mod, I'm sure I can return the compliment thank you.

Dave

I don't know, those seem some important accusations to me. From what I see from the Nixim website, the spring you offer does differ from the GTeye one I received. The length of the coil in the picture on your site looks shorter than the Logitech one, and the overall shape of the coil appears different to me as well. Take into account as well that the GTeye spring actually, or at least in my case, costs $17 because of the $30 I paid $13 were to pay the shipment.

I'd personally like you two guys to settle this like gentleman. Send one of each mods to Virtualr.net, InsideSimRacing, and SimRacingReveiw and let them do an objective comparison.

I'll have both very soon and will do my best to review each one as to how they feel as well as any impact on lap times.

Oshawa-Joe
I ordered the GTeye upgrade spring this weekend. I don't have my pedals hard mounted to a driving seat, resulting in a different seating position every time I pull up a seat to my wheel stand. I have to believe the muscle memory from using the progressive spring should help with braking vs using positional memory of the brake travel alone. It sure as heck can't make me any worse. I also didn't want to reduce pedal travel that much or have to deal with a super stiff spring that could cause more issues than it would solve. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Update: Ordered 4/15
Shipped 4/16

Edit: with some luck I hope to receive the spring before next weekend. I will run some before and after tests using some of my more familiar cars. Tests will involve the X2010 at suzuka, X2011 at GVS, F2007 Spa, F10 Nurb GPF,and Elise at Tsukuba. All testing without aids and abs on zero.

Update:

I did a few 5 lap test races to record times before upgrading to the GTeye brake spring. All testing was done as follows:
No Aids, ABS on zero, on line lobby, track edge / grip on REAL, Tire Wear and Fuel OFF, Race cars on Racing Soft Tires. Elise 111R on Sport Soft Tires. I usually allowed 5 warm up laps prior to starting a 5 lap race. The exception was with the Elise. I have never used it without ABS and therefore needed about 12 laps to get a feel for it and set the Brake Balance to 4/1.

Results prior to upgrade:
F2007 at Spa
Session Best Time 1:41.323
Race Laps
1 1:43.330
2 1:42.972
3 1:43.069
4 1:41.323
5 1:41.408

F10 at Nurb GPF
Session Best Time 1:28.910
Race Laps
1 1:34.983
2 1:30.323
3 1:30.163
4 1:29.448
5 1:29.007

X2010 at Suzuka
Session Best Time 1:00.158
Race Laps
1 1:02.775
2 1:00.832
3 1:00.229
4 1:00.158
5 1:00.467

X2011 at GVS
Session Best Time 54:215
Race Laps
1 58.330
2 55.126
3 54.398
4 54.215
5 55.051

Elise 111R at Tsukuba
Session Best Time 58:334
Race Laps
1 1:03.050
2 59.228
3 59.905
4 58.334
5 58.758

Test sessions will be repeated once the brake upgrade installation is done.

You should probably have ABS on for; all of those tests. Just saying.

Some cars don't really need abs. In the case of the f1s and x1s I'm quicker without it as I can better feel what the brakes are doing. Once I adjusted the brakes on the Elise it was pretty good too. It's the "hunting" for pedal position that I hope improves by using the progressive spring.

Oshawa-Joe
Some cars don't really need abs. In the case of the f1s and x1s I'm quicker without it as I can better feel what the brakes are doing. Once I adjusted the brakes on the Elise it was pretty good too. It's the "hunting" for pedal position that I hope improves by using the progressive spring.

Ok, well some ABS cars would be good add well, more realistic, more customers will use ABS with the mod. Also, you're Right Foot Braking I hope?

I think he is testing if it improves his lap times. To do that he should race the way he always races. If he starts racing the way you like to race then what does he have to compare to?

Yes exactly, I have to test the way I usually race otherwise I'd be faced with a learning curve.

ABS on would probably kill almost all the difference between one spring and another... hell with ABS on you can do the tests with a stock DFGT and probably get similar lap times (If not better)

Last edited:
I could also do a test with a familiar car using ABS. Perhaps the BMW 320i Touring Car on Trial Mountain.

All this says to me is, if you're driving a realistic car with ABS on (and lets face it, 500/600 of the 1000 cars will likely have ABS in real life), the springs are pointless, which I find interesting.

For those other cars, you'll probably want to use the manual shifter, and clutch, so you'll be paying attention more to what exactly you're doing, so there won't be much point there either? Possibly it'd irritate you more, hmm.

I think the spring upgrade will be noticeable to you regardless of abs or not. It depends on what you are used to. I simply prefer to enjoy driving certain cars without abs, some with, some with left foot braking, and in some situations using all 3 pedals along with the 6 speed shifter. Usually I reserve the clutch and 6 speed for seasonal A spec events for the added realism and enjoyment.

There is a sweet spot in braking in GT5. You can find with ABS if you manage to notice when ABS starts to kick in. Setting up ABS rumble correctly for Fanatec wheels helps in this. This mod might make it a hint of easier to be found.

The physics in gt5 with abs off are so much better.....Yes even with abs at 1.
I use the gteye spring with my own buffer which IS better than the nixim buffer
that disintegrates after a while.💡

Last edited:
The physics in gt5 with abs off are so much better.....Yes even with abs at 1.
I use the gteye spring with my own buffer which IS better than the nixim buffer
that disintegrates after a while.💡

Not with the version 2 mate, it did with a few a - very few with the first version, but with version 2 we used a smaller rubber buffer as the two stage spring now does most of the work that the rubber buffer in version 1 did.

The occasional failure was due to the plastic moulding spring guides cutting into the rubber because it was slightly too long.

To date and after many thousands of sales, we are not aware of a single complaint in any respect with the new updated version 2
I will repeat that -, NOT ONE SINGLE COMPLAINT.

Thank you

Dave

Hey Dave, I did want to confirm if I should install the rubber pc or not. I'm willing to try both ways.

For gt5

@ Nixim ,I know exactly when the rubber comes in to play on the v2, not at all really... lol
that's why you don't get much complaints mate, I like quite a large buffer, if i was to use nixim composite it would crumble.
It's all about the feel.

Hey Dave, I did want to confirm if I should install the rubber pc or not. I'm willing to try both ways.

For gt5

Entirely up to you Joe, the spring is mainly designed for PC use where you have more software settings and adjustments for your wheel and pedals. The close or tight spring coils are to simulate the feel of the free movement as the brake pads clamp onto the brake disc, the looser spring coils simulate the majority of the brake usage from soft to hard foot pressure. Then the buffer takes over right at the end of the pedal movement and really tightens the pedal so you feel exactly where the car wheels will lock up.

If you feel the buffer gives you too much resistance then you can trim it to a length that gives you the pedal feel you are comfy with - or remove it altogether.

So in that sense you have a true triple rate spring where the third rate is actually adjustable, unlike all of the other mods I have tested ;)

Dave

@ Nixim ,I know exactly when the rubber comes in to play on the v2, not at all really... lol
that's why you don't get much complaints mate, I like quite a large buffer, if i was to use nixim composite it would crumble.
It's all about the feel.

I'll take your word for it and pass your comments on to the guys who spent months testing it with me, We always listen to user comments and suggestions.

Dave

If you feel the buffer gives you too much resistance then you can trim it to a length that gives you the pedal feel you are comfy with - or remove it altogether.

Don't worry the inside of your pedal will cut through it.:dunce:

If you do like the resistance of the buffers original length....

Worry the inside of your pedal will cut through it.:nervous:

Don't worry the inside of your pedal will cut through it.:dunce:

If you do like the resistance of the buffers original length....

Worry the inside of your pedal will cut through it.:nervous:

Well OK then, if or when this happens you can have the pleasure of posting the details here.
And to be honest, It may be possible that it could happen to someone but as far as I am aware after selling the mod to thousands of people (and organisations which buy in bulk orders), it has not happened yet.

After twelve months We have hundreds of positive comments on Ebay and plenty of folk write and tell us how happy they are, and yet not having bought one, apparently you feel qualified to comment.
Strange that isn't it?

I trust you will let me know if it happens won't you, you do seem very hopeful.

I am a very patient man,, I'm waiting for you to inform me of the first failure. Good luck

Dave

Well OK then, if or when this happens you can have the pleasure of posting the details here.
And to be honest, It may be possible that it could happen to someone but as far as I am aware after selling the mod to thousands of people (and organisations which buy in bulk orders), it has not happened yet.

After twelve months We have hundreds of positive comments on Ebay and plenty of folk write and tell us how happy they are, and yet not having bought one, apparently you feel qualified to comment.
Strange that isn't it?

I trust you will let me know if it happens won't you, you do seem very hopeful.

I am a very patient man,, I'm waiting for you to inform me of the first failure. Good luck

like i said nixim buffer is not long enough for me, If it was long enough pedal would cut through it.

You being someone who was involed with the development of nixim buffer could you
tell me what it's made up of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back