New Sony Patent Suggests the PlayStation 5 Will Support Backwards Compatibility

Cool. I don't have to get a PS4 then in the future when this one comes out. I'm just wondering if most features present in those games will still be functional in the new console or if it's just completely an emulation.

I am always puzzled by the BC hype, because i rarely return to older games at all. However, i am pretty certain streaming will be a thing with the next gen consoles and with that in mind, nobody has to worry about any BC.

I am predicting that playing on PS5 with a digital disc inside will be quite old-fashioned in a few years. These new consoles will be all about digital game subscriptions and streaming, although there will still be options for those who prefer the classic offline way.

Should've made PS3 simpler to deal with, thus making PS4 more accessible to Ps3 games, like xbox one is backwards compatible to select Xbox and xbox 360 games.

I am always puzzled by the BC hype, because i rarely return to older games at all. However, i am pretty certain streaming will be a thing with the next gen consoles and with that in mind, nobody has to worry about any BC.

I am predicting that playing on PS5 with a digital disc inside will be quite old-fashioned in a few years. These new consoles will be all about digital game subscriptions and streaming, although there will still be options for those who prefer the classic offline way.

GT6 came out for PS3 after the PS4 was already selling. GT Sport didn't come out until a whole 4 years after that. It's not just about playing older games for nostalgia, backwards compatibility also helps cover voids left by huge exclusive franchises that take forever to release something while nobody dares to compete against them.

Its not just specific to GT either, its just a really relevant example on this board.

GT6 came out for PS3 after the PS4 was already selling. GT Sport didn't come out until a whole 4 years after that. It's not just about playing older games for nostalgia, backwards compatibility also helps cover voids left by huge exclusive franchises that take forever to release something while nobody dares to compete against them.

Its not just specific to GT either, its just a really relevant example on this board.

Fair point. BC is a welcome addition, indeed.

Proven by Kingdom Hearts 3 being released 14 years after the 2nd one. Then Squeenix re-releasing games in series on PS4 (before that on PS3).

Also SEGA doing same with the Yakuza series.

Probably because the early games for a new system tend to concentrate on the graphics and not so much on gameplay. I played a LOT of GT3 and GT4 on my launch PS3 (r.i.p) as they are much better GAMES than either GT5 and GT6.

So no PS2 or PS1 backwards compatibility? That's a bummer.

I'm glad you brought this up as there was an additional detail I omitted from the original final draft for fear of it going over too many heads.

A patent was filed last month for a CPUID impersonating method. CPUID is nothing more than an instruction that allows software to identify the processor type and its features. If true, the PS5 will be able to essentially emulate every previous PS processor down to every cycle.

It helps that the patent mentions every console as well. The PS5 could be very interesting, indeed.

I really hope the PS 5 will be backwards combatible.

For me this is a huge point. I am so tired of buing games for a console, and then a few years after they are such a hazle to deal with having to set up the old console if I want to play them.

I will proberly buy the PS5 at launch if it has BC. If not I will wait a few years until the PS5 is on sale and have a big catalog of games.

I wouldn't mind a system to transfer save date from the PS3 and PS4 to the PS5. Or even while they're at it add a memory card slot...

Ps5 not being backwards compatible would be a move like XBOX's "always online" DRM at the time. Its a good thing they moved to a platform that makes it possible.

I kept it...
PS3_60gb_front.jpg

So I could play this...
150197-Black_(USA)-1500803654.jpg

Hold on....

It would have to be backwards compatible, now that they are pretty much running and sticking to X86-64 hardware architecture from here on out... wouldn't it?

Wasn't that the main perk of them just going down the X86 road and saving hundreds of millions in R&D, and just rolling with AMD APU's from now on meant to close the backward compatible loophole?

From xb1/ps4 the consoles are just proper PC's now. So isn't it all just native code now and backward compatible from now on?,.. or at least very easy to get old games running with wrappers etc... just the same way an old 80's/90's PC game is able to run on PC's throughout the ages and using native hardware?

There was a legit excuse for no PS3 BC on the PS4 and they offered PS Now. Sony had full BC on the PS2 and PS3, so I expected it'll be back on the PS5.

I cannot understand why PS4 BC on PS5 is special news, in my mind it was always a given or at least it would be an extremely big kick in the teeth from Sony not to because of the very simple fact that x86 on x86 is going to literally require no work whatsoever to achieve!

The big news would be disk based PS2 and PS3 emulation.

The big news would be disk based PS2 and PS3 emulation.
Nope. All of it will be hardware. @Terronium-12 is correct in that disks will play a part, the majority of it will be done hardware side, as opposed to XBO's software-based solution. All that the disk will do is provide the correct CPUIDs so that the hardware can decode the correct assets to display.

I still don't have a PS4 because it isn't backwards compatible. I don't game as much as I used to, so I wasn't interested in buying the console right away. And because I don't own the console, I haven't been keeping up with what games are available, and so there are only a few that I do know of and want. And because there are only a few I want, I haven't been able to justify the price of the console given how little time I'd spend on it. Backwards compatibility is extremely important to me, because when I do feel like gaming these days, I just as often pick up a PS1 or PS2 game as I do a PS3 game. The only consoles that have a permanent spot on my TV stand are a Super Nintendo and a PS3 (which, of course, plays and saves PS1 games). Occasionally I'll pull out the PS2 to play one of those titles (I still buy old games I missed out on when these consoles were relevant), but it is annoying to have to rotate it in. I would LOVE for one machine to accept all of my discs.

And you can add that GT Sport isn't a "real" GT (number of cars / tracks, tuning possibility...). On the actual generation, there is only Forza in this genre (so only for Xbox or PC).

Backward compatibility for PS5 is obviousness. Futur Xbox will be (with Original, 360 and One), if PS5 isn't, Sony simply shoot themselves in the foot. It's same for crossplay, actually Sony is closed for this, but for PS5 they will be totaly open.

PS5 supporting PS4 games would be enough for me. I only play GT Sport.
Also, I Hope discs will continue to be made, because for collectors like me, digital copies are not an option :/

I’m curious to know what wheels will work with PS5 and if there will be any ‘backwards compatibility’ with current ones. I’m ok upgrading my G29, however, I’m considering buying a Fanatec CSL Elite, and don’t want to pay that kind of money to only enjoy it for less than 2 years before I’d need something else for PS5.

I cannot understand why PS4 BC on PS5 is special news, in my mind it was always a given or at least it would be an extremely big kick in the teeth from Sony not to because of the very simple fact that x86 on x86 is going to literally require no work whatsoever to achieve!

They're a market leader with a consumer base that had already accepted a lack of backwards compatibility on the last console cycle. Sony has been known to make poor moves when they lead the market (as most corporations do) so there was always a real possibility that they would great greedy and try to monetize directly off of a backwards compatibility mode.

I’m curious to know what wheels will work with PS5 and if there will be any ‘backwards compatibility’ with current ones. I’m ok upgrading my G29, however, I’m considering buying a Fanatec CSL Elite, and don’t want to pay that kind of money to only enjoy it for less than 2 years before I’d need something else for PS5.
Looks like you're also using it for racing games. I hope GT7 will be radical from the previous titles.

I don't think I will buy the PS5 I think it will have even less games than the PS4.
There are around 1900 PS4 games released to date. That's a lot given the platform still has a few years of life in it. I have read nothing to suggest PS5 is going to be short on games.

Back