New Thrustmaster F1 Wheel?

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 660 comments
SC Juggernaut
Usually, people who knock static paddles are those who lack ever having used them enough under racing experiences. To them, it just doesn't make sense how paddles that don't move, can work better during certain situations.

When a car has static paddles, it's there to ensure that you never miss a shift, or that you never make a wrong shift, even when things get hectic at the wheel. You really only run into that type of scenario when pushing certain cars really hard around a track. Cars that have them use them, over rim attached paddles for an important reason. After people have had enough track time with cars that use them, the benefit of having them stay static become more obvious.

I have gotten used to the fixed paddles.

Went to my buddies house, he bought my old G27 cockpit. Using the rotating paddles again. I can see where they have advantages.

What I do like about fixed. Left is down right is up. No questions asked. I've learned to remove a hand to get a gear change if needed.

Monaco with an F1 was the only place I wanted rotating paddles since getting used to the fixed ones.

Where is our shifter? June was the word back when wheel released. Well that came and went. Maybe it's posted but I dont recall.

The shifter release month was already posted in the T500RS thread, and has been available on the TS site for more than a month now.

The TH8 RS will be available in October at the suggested retail price of 149.99 €.

Pls can anyone help me does anyone have ideal settings for the pc on f1 2011. I'm using the original thrustmaster wheel. but am finding it a pain to set. What degree of rotation should you have set. I swear 900 seems too much.
I have the formula one wheel on order. Is the pre-set settings for this much better?
I suck really bad at the game, never played the earlier versions. I'm used to playing dirt and games like gran turismo which i'm fairly okay at.
It could be me not use to the speed of the cars. lol

thanks hampus_dh and Spagetti69. I just don't understand why the wheel was not locked to that in the first place. Surely the game recognises the wheel and should adjust it.
No wonder it was so hard to turn.
I'm still thinking of getting the ferrari wheel, does any users think it really makes a big difference ?

Db9 was pretty awesome

Yeah but 5 mins is not a lot of exposure to fixed paddies. Reminds me of the time I let my wife drive my manual transmission Mustang Gt. When she hops into it she hated manual and thought it was the worst thing ever. It didnt make it any easier my car was tweaked for a lil racing with a heavy duty clutch :dopey:

edit- removed the OT blabbing I was doing

Pls can anyone help me does anyone have ideal settings for the pc on f1 2011. I'm using the original thrustmaster wheel. but am finding it a pain to set. What degree of rotation should you have set. I swear 900 seems too much.
I have the formula one wheel on order. Is the pre-set settings for this much better?
I suck really bad at the game, never played the earlier versions. I'm used to playing dirt and games like gran turismo which i'm fairly okay at.
It could be me not use to the speed of the cars. lol

I dont have f1 2011 yet but on rFactor I go with 900 degrees. Attached paddles work nicely with f1 cars since you can shift while at full lock. In other vehicles you'll be spinning out. but in a high downforce car like an f1 you can still make an easy turn and shift and not incur negative steering forces to the car. I was wanting the ferrari f1 wheel for F1 car driving in particular. I'm not in a huge hurry atm though since for next few weeks I'll be doing GT driving to finish up my current season

I have gotten used to the fixed paddles.

Went to my buddies house, he bought my old G27 cockpit. Using the rotating paddles again. I can see where they have advantages.

What I do like about fixed. Left is down right is up. No questions asked. I've learned to remove a hand to get a gear change if needed.

Monaco with an F1 was the only place I wanted rotating paddles since getting used to the fixed ones.

Where is our shifter? June was the word back when wheel released. Well that came and went. Maybe it's posted but I dont recall.

No it's not posted anymore. Thrustmaster hinted at something for summer. I don't recall them promising the shifter would be ready at that point. Cause if you look back at the thread, you'll see way back then we were guessing Christmas 2011 when the shifter would be ready. I don't think any of us thought it would be ready that soon (if ever).

The shifter release month was already posted in the T500RS thread, and has been available on the TS site for more than a month now.

Btw, I'm starting to wonder how much that will cost me altogether if I try to acquire both. Ouch

Last edited:
It looks very cheap compared to Fanatecs F1 Rim, and note that Fanatec are going to make another even more realistic F1 rim.

Apart from the fake buttons in the center i think it looks a thousand times more premium then the F1 wheel from fanatec.

Fanatec´s doesn´t even look like a proper F1 wheel. More like GP2 or similar.
cswf1.jpg

I dont know what people are thinking when they say the fanatec f1 rim looks way better. I cant even relate. Now, the rev limiter is what makes it sexy. If you want to down the t500rs ferrari f1 rim in the future go that route. Less subjective

It looks very cheap compared to Fanatecs F1 Rim, and note that Fanatec are going to make another even more realistic F1 rim.

This sounds like a fan boy remark. Looking at the two wheels, there is nothing cheap looking about the Ferrari F1 other than the stuff in the centre that can't even move.

The good thing about the Fanatec F1 wheel is that it looks simple and has a very clean layout. Some people like that about it. I actually prefer the realism that the Ferrari F1 tries to bring people, at least for F1 2011. At the end of the day, the only real advantage the Fanatec F1 has over the Ferrari F1 is the rev lights, and built in wheel adjustments that come standard with Fanatec Wheels. Either wheel is more than worth buying, and you can't really go wrong either way. The only people bashing one or the other are fan boys trying to stick up for their favourite brand.

Can we get a tach with adjustable shift light for ps3 please. ;) USB plug in be ok by me. Love an adjustable light though.

Btw, I'll make sure to update this thread if they ever manage to succeed in modding the rim to add on the rev lights, etc. I'm hoping they can put it right where the Thrustmaster logo is. Hm, but I guess the mod would be PC only I'm afraid. I am thinking of getting f1 2011 on the PC anyways...

Btw good post above Latte

sandboxgod
Btw, I'll make sure to update this thread if they ever manage to succeed in modding the rim to add on the rev lights, etc. I'm hoping they can put it right where the Thrustmaster logo is. Hm, but I guess the mod would be PC only I'm afraid. I am thinking of getting f1 2011 on the PC anyways...

Btw good post above Latte

I do believe on the PC tachs or drivers for real tachs exist. Maybe dreaming, swear I had seen or read something similar to this.

Was planning to go PC racing this winter. Maybe spring, no later. Something like a killer Fanatec wheel would force me into laying out some coins. So might be smart to wait till spring. GT5 spec 2.0 and DLC Will keep me busy through winter. Hopefully.

Apart from the fake buttons in the center i think it looks a thousand times more premium then the F1 wheel from fanatec.

Fanatec´s doesn´t even look like a proper F1 wheel. More like GP2 or similar.
cswf1.jpg

Well, it looks more like a GP2 rim because it is just like that. The FORMULA rim is not our F1 rim. It is a generic Formula style rim. We will have a real F1 rim later with even more functionality.

Last edited:
Well, it looks more like a GP2 rim because it is just like that. The FORMULA rim is not our F1 rim. It is a generic Formula style rim. We will have a real F1 rim later with even more functionality.

I can't wait for that Thomas :) or has.Mr.T just hacked.your account.LOL

Fanatec...

ok had not read anything that advertised it as a gp2 wheel but look forward to seeing the f1 wheel.

It was never.advertised as a formula 1 rim either ... Formula could include f3 f300 f4 gp2 world series Renault.
Good marketing though :) it fooled a lot of us for some time

It was not my intention to fool anybody. It is obvious that this is not a F1 replica hence it has more features than other F1 replicas out there... ;)

No stock in amazon of the f1 rim, cancelled my order. Oh well will wait to reviews and pick this up later. I looking more forward to the shifter had that on pre-order from day one. It better come out on the projected released date.

It was not my intention to fool anybody. It is obvious that this is not a F1 replica hence it has more features than other F1 replicas out there... ;)

I know you didn't, but everyone assumed that this was your f1 rim.for quite some time

No stock in amazon of the f1 rim, cancelled my order. Oh well will wait to reviews and pick this up later. I looking more forward to the shifter had that on pre-order from day one. It better come out on the projected released date.

Which Amazon store did you order from? My order on amazon.co.uk still shows dispatch estimate today. Noticed that Amazon.fr had it in stock earlier this week, but didn't bother to cancel on co.uk and order there.

One thing I would ask... Are you people who have pre ordered the thrustmaster gonna cancel it now Thomas has said fanatec are working/planning on making an f1 rim which will have quick release

amf7
One thing I would ask... Are you people who have pre ordered the thrustmaster gonna cancel it now Thomas has said fanatec are working/planning on making an f1 rim which will have quick release

well its different brands so you would have to buy a quick release for the t500, no idea on how much that will cost.

i still stand by that if you want the ultimate f1 wheel it's Rozo wheels.

costs like hell but it looks incredible.

@amf7 I cancelled as there is no due date. I pre-ordered the wheel later than you probably. I ordered from the u.k store. I'm not in a rush so might as well wait for some reviews first. (shifter is the important one to me anyway)
I am interested in the Fantec elite but, will wait for a review first.

Last edited:
@amf7 I cancelled as there is no due date. I pre-ordered the later then you probably. I ordered from the u.k store. I'm not in a rush so might as well wait for some reviews first. (shifter is the important one to me anyway)
I am interested in the Fantec elite but, will wait for a review first.

I preordered... was gonna review it as I can't find a email to thrustmaster Press (unlike Fanatec + Logitech) but i cancelled as soon as i read what Thomas Put even though I was planning on buying both However I decided that 1 wheel is enough :) even though i will probably get CSR (Standard) due to xbox compatibillity

Back