New Thrustmaster T-GT owner - quick review as former G29 user.

• Thread starter barkohba
  • 156 comments
When you wrote "it's all just theory" I expected something silly to follow but wasn't prepared for just how outlandish it was going to be :boggled:

So PD are not only not making any money by licensing out the GT brand, they're also spending resources to help design the wheel :rolleyes:
So still all theory and still no evidence of nerfing :rolleyes:

Please share your thoughts! And have fun!

Ok.
GT is the only car racing game I've played for the past 20 years so it only made sense to buy the T-GT.
It's an awesome wheel with some nice features just for GTS. The quality is noticeable right from the start. You can easily play for many of hours Straight and it will not lose any strength in the FFB, It's quite and it doesn't even get warm. I played on it for 6 hours straight with no issues or lose in performance.

It seems the price is what holds people back the most from purchasing the T-GT but as me and my friend have shown you can definitely find them for under $600 all day long. After playing with the T-GT for two weeks now I can honestly say its worth every penny. The stock pedals are nice and also come with the conical brake mod if you wish to install it.
However if you have the extra money buy the T3PA-PRO pedal set because they are one of the best pedal sets on the market and their performance is definitely a huge step above the stock pedals. Plus you can set them up GT style.

You know the saying "You get what you pay for" and I absolutely have no regrets paying the price for T-GT and I would do it all over again without any hesitation.

20190319_192419.jpg
20190327_142705.jpg
20190327_142629.jpg

Oh it's very durable around kids also.

Last edited:
Ok.
GT is the only car racing game I've played for the past 20 years so it only made sense to buy the T-GT.

What was your previous wheel? What do you think about the T-DFB feature? Can you feel it while you shift?

What was your previous wheel? What do you think about the T-DFB feature? Can you feel it while you shift?

My previous wheel was the DS4 so this is my first one but I have played on other people's setups. The T-DFB is incredible but not perfect and you can feel everything, every bump, rumble strip, every shift. I don't like the way it feels or shakes when the car understeers if pushed hard but that's within the game and not the T-GT because I hear everyone complain about that issue on different wheels. That's my only complaint so far.

No, not theory. Logical, reasonable, common and realistic supposition. Meanwhile, your theory is that PD has licensed the GT brand exclusivity for free :lol:
:lol: How about you try some facts. My answer was just an alternate theory to your theory.

Now can you please answer my two original questions with something more than theory, subjective opinions, deflection or a question (like you originally did).
I keep seeing people saying PD has nerfed the G29 for GT Sport but is there any evidence?
Have you tried the T-GT on those titles?
... and why haven't PD nerfed the Fanatec Elite PS4 when that's the direct competitor to the T-GT? Surely that would make more sense than PD nerfing the G29.

I think those that are saying that the G29 is nerfed on GTS are possibly running the FFB too high. IMO The default settings of 5 and 5 are too high for the G29, which leads to clipping and a dead feeling in the wheel - The G29 is not a powerful wheel.

I find that knocking the settings down to 3 and 5 allows detail to come through while still leaving an acceptable weight to the wheel. Going down further will bring out more detail, but the wheel weight may be unacceptably light for some people.

:lol: How about you try some facts. My answer was just an alternate theory to your theory.

Now can you please answer my two original questions with something more than theory, subjective opinions, deflection or a question (like you originally did).
... and why haven't PD nerfed the Fanatec Elite PS4 when that's the direct competitor to the T-GT? Surely that would make more sense than PD nerfing the G29.
No I don’t need to try the TGT to understand the fact that the G29 works so much better in every other game. And no it makes more sense to nerf the competitor who is ubiquitous.

No I don’t need to try the TGT to understand the fact that the G29 works so much better in every other game. And no it makes more sense to nerf the competitor who is ubiquitous.
That only suggests that other games have FFB that is better, or suits you better, as I've seen many more happy G29 owners than those suggesting deliberate nerfing by PD, and people in the market for a budget priced wheel will buy a budget priced wheel, not a T-GT. People looking to upgrade will more likely compare between the T-GT, Fanatec Elite PS4 or the soon to be released Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel F1.

Have you tried @Slapped's suggestion? That seems like a far more likely scenario than yours.

That still leaves one of my original questions unanswered,
I keep seeing people saying PD has nerfed the G29 for GT Sport but is there any evidence?/QUOTE]

That only suggests that other games have FFB that is better, or suits you better, as I've seen many more happy G29 owners than those suggesting deliberate nerfing by PD, and people in the market for a budget priced wheel will buy a budget priced wheel, not a T-GT. People looking to upgrade will more likely compare between the T-GT, Fanatec Elite PS4 or the soon to be released Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel F1.

Have you tried @Slapped's suggestion? That seems like a far more likely scenario than yours.

That still leaves one of my original questions unanswered,
Of course I tried all settings, that's why other explanations are unconvincing.

Of course I tried all settings, that's why other explanations are unconvincing.
Okay, so you've tried alternate settings, it still doesn't point to deliberate nerfing by PD of the G29 :rolleyes:. How is not possible, when Assetto Corsa is widely known as having the best FFB with PCars 2 being not far behind, that these two games, two of the games that you mentioned in your earlier post as feeling better than GT Sport, actually do have better FFB than GT Sport?

And you still didn't answer my original question in the quote below, a question I have already asked you on three separate occasions...

I keep seeing people saying PD has nerfed the G29 for GT Sport but is there any evidence?
...but I think we both know the reason, because there is no evidence 💡

Okay, so you've tried alternate settings, it still doesn't point to deliberate nerfing by PD of the G29 :rolleyes:. How is not possible, when Assetto Corsa is widely known as having the best FFB with PCars 2 being not far behind, that these two games, two of the games that you mentioned in your earlier post as feeling better than GT Sport, actually do have better FFB than GT Sport?

And you still didn't answer my original question in the quote below, a question I have already asked you on three separate occasions...

...but I think we both know the reason, because there is no evidence 💡
There is plenty of evidence, but you're looking for the proverbial smoking gun and we don't have access to it.

And No, it's not just other games have better FFB(and not just the games you list) including PD's own previous games, it's that they're much better. PD had a previous license with Logitech so to solidify the new deal with Thrustmaster, it had to demonstrate there was no holdover allegiance, hence the nerf and also why Fanatec was excluded.

There is plenty of evidence, but you're looking for the proverbial smoking gun and we don't have access to it.

And No, it's not just other games have better FFB(and not just the games you list) including PD's own previous games, it's that they're much better. PD had a previous license with Logitech so to solidify the new deal with Thrustmaster, it had to demonstrate there was no holdover allegiance, hence the nerf and also why Fanatec was excluded.
So you've still got nothing more than fantasy. And it's not like this is a new deal, the T500 was the official wheel for GT 5 along with the Logitech Driving Force GT (GT 5 prologue and GT 5), Logitech's G series has never been the official wheel for any Gran Turismo game and yet in GT 6, according to you, it wasn't nerfed. But now it is? Come on :lol:.

So you've still got nothing more than fantasy. And it's not like this is a new deal, the T500 was the official wheel for GT 5 along with the Logitech Driving Force GT (GT 5 prologue and GT 5), Logitech's G series has never been the official wheel for any Gran Turismo game and yet in GT 6, according to you, it wasn't nerfed. But now it is? Come on :lol:.
It wasn’t an exclusive deal then.
Not fantasy, Occam’s Razor.

It wasn’t an exclusive deal then.
The only wheels officially licensed for GT 6 were Thrustmaster, so it was then.
Not fantasy, Occam’s Razor.
Okay, and... Going by the multitude of people happy with their G29 when playing GT Sport, and then only one person claiming it's been deliberately nerfed to funnel people to the T-GT, the simplest explanation is that it hasn't been nerfed... and you are the only one making assumptions... with absolutely zero proof.

Another question, do you use rest mode for your PS4?

The only wheels officially licensed for GT 6 were Thrustmaster, so it was then.

Okay, and... Going by the multitude of people happy with their G29 when playing GT Sport, and then only one person claiming it's been deliberately nerfed to funnel people to the T-GT, the simplest explanation is that it hasn't been nerfed... and you are the only one making assumptions... with absolutely zero proof.

Another question, do you use rest mode for your PS4?
You’re the one who made the assumption that PD was licensing exclusive deals for the GT name for free :lol:

You’re the one who made the assumption that PD was licensing exclusive deals for the GT name for free :lol:
:lol: I've already told you that it was just an alternate theory to your theory. It was nothing more than a question, or did you miss the question mark at the end. Now please show me some proof of these two assumptions.
So I guess PD has nerfed the G29 because they get a cut of from the TGT licensing agreement so they naturally want to funnel consumers to it. That does not sit well with me at all :crazy:
PD had a previous license with Logitech so to solidify the new deal with Thrustmaster, it had to demonstrate there was no holdover allegiance, hence the nerf and also why Fanatec was excluded.

Edit: Oh and 'because I say so' isn't proof.

Last edited:
:lol: I've already told you that it was just an alternate theory to your theory. It was nothing more than a question, or did you miss the question mark at the end. Now please show me some proof of these two assumptions.
The proof is in the pudding, no throwing question marks at the end of sentences to see what happens to stick.

I used my new T-GT for the first time today. Coming from the G29, i have to say, there is quite a difference. The force feedback is much stronger and i could really feel it in my arms. Surprisingly, the pedals felt good, too. These Thrustmaster pedals are not really popular, so i wasnt expecting much, but they are a little bit bigger then the G29s. For me personally, they are more comfortable to use this way. Its also worth noting that the brake pedal can be adjusted much more precise than the one from the G29.

The greatest thing however is the TDFB feature. I have mounted my wheel and the pedals to a Wheel Stand Pro, which means that i feel vibrations and the road surface not only in the wheel, but even in the pedals. This much feedback is really cool and immersive.

What i dont like? The wheels cooling system / fan is rather noisy, although that isnt a big issue when using a headset. The cables are a bit thick and the leather stitching behind the wheel feels not so good.

The general material quality is high. The leather of the wheel feels escpecially nice.

I just got the tgt yesterday as well. FFB is in a different league from my G29. The pedals are fine, I don’t use the brake mod. The subwoofer doesn’t add much value imo. It does transit shifts through the rim.

In PC2, the difference between the wheels is much smaller. Whether intentional or not, it seems g29 implementation for gts is quite poor in comparison to the tgt.

I used my new T-GT for the first time today. Coming from the G29, i have to say, there is quite a difference. The force feedback is much stronger and i could really feel it in my arms. Surprisingly, the pedals felt good, too. These Thrustmaster pedals are not really popular, so i wasnt expecting much, but they are a little bit bigger then the G29s. For me personally, they are more comfortable to use this way. Its also worth noting that the brake pedal can be adjusted much more precise than the one from the G29.

The greatest thing however is the TDFB feature. I have mounted my wheel and the pedals to a Wheel Stand Pro, which means that i feel vibrations and the road surface not only in the wheel, but even in the pedals. This much feedback is really cool and immersive.

What i dont like? The wheels cooling system / fan is rather noisy, although that isnt a big issue when using a headset. The cables are a bit thick and the leather stitching behind the wheel feels not so good.

The general material quality is high. The leather of the wheel feels escpecially nice.

I just got the tgt yesterday as well. FFB is in a different league from my G29. The pedals are fine, I don’t use the brake mod. The subwoofer doesn’t add much value imo. It does transit shifts through the rim.

In PC2, the difference between the wheels is much smaller. Whether intentional or not, it seems g29 implementation for gts is quite poor in comparison to the tgt.

The T3PA-PRO pedals are definitely worth the money over the stock pedals. It's an investment you won't regret.

I used my new T-GT for the first time today. Coming from the G29, i have to say, there is quite a difference. The force feedback is much stronger and i could really feel it in my arms.

I do not have any experience with the T-GT and have a G-29.

I have started playing PC2 on the playstation and there is all the difference in the world in the way the FFB is implemented on the G-29 in that game versus GTS. I feel like I get a lot more feedback as to what the car is doing in PC2 than I do in GTS.

Also I have the ability to fine tune the FFB in PC2 to what I like much more intricately and precisely than the limited adjustments afforded in GTS.
Personally I do not want a feedback set up that when I come off the track it feels like I have been at the gym working out with weights. Cars developed power steering decades ago and what I am looking for is feedback as to amount of grip or running up on the curbs so I can get away with with the G-29 okay.

These Thrustmaster pedals are not really popular, so i wasnt expecting much, but they are a little bit bigger then the G29s. For me personally, they are more comfortable to use this way. Its also worth noting that the brake pedal can be adjusted much more precise than the one from the G29.

I can understand that if the ONLY game you were going to play is GTS then perhaps the T-GT rig would work best for you. I will say if I were going to drop that much coin I would be more interested in something like the Fanatec line and the load cell brake which I could actually set up brake pressure to suite my taste.

But I do not think that in GTS the G-29 actually shows the full extent of the its value to price ratio. It does feel like its performance or adjustability is cut back or toned downed compared to the g-29's performance in a different game still on the PS4 platform.

I have developed an interest in Virtual Reality racing and have ordered a headset and will be switching back to the computer platform for my racing to give that a whirl. If I like it well enough I may upgrade my wheel and pedals to something of a better quality than the G-29 will just have to wait and see..

Just because a person chooses one brand over another does not make that the best choice and one product better or worse than another.

Last edited:
In terms of performance, are there major differences to switch up to the T-GT from my T150? I just installed the T3PA Pro pedals and they are solid! Totally worth the cash. I don't know what I don't know so from my perspective, I think the T150 (albeit cheap as 🤬 cost wise), is pretty decent. I was thinking of upgrading or using them until they die on me.
Any advice?

@VFOURMAX1
If the G29 suits you, thats fine. I was always happy with it, too. But all that money you need to throw at the T-GT pays off eventually. GT Sport feels almost like a different game, but Assetto Corsa Competizione delivers more feedback, too. I tested this yesterday and i have to say it felt great. In terms of heavy steering i would like to point out that you can lower the power if you would like. In ACC, steering at low speed feels really light with the T-GT, but it will get heavy in high speed corners, just like it should.

@Dogwolf77
Well, in my view, the T150 is a very cheap wheel for those starting with sim racing. Even a T300 would be a good upgrade for you (mid-class wheel) The T-GT is basically a premium wheel, quality and features are pretty much two leagues above the T150. Its Thrustmasters high-end wheel.

Last but not least... the price. Is the T-GT worth 799 or 699? I guess thats a bit too much. I could have gone the Fanatec CSL route for that kind of money, yes. But i really like Gran Turismo and i got my T-GT for 490. Thats not the Fanatec price range and the sweet spot for a wheel like the T-GT, IMO.

Ok.
It's an awesome wheel with some nice features just for GTS. The quality is noticeable right from the start. You can easily play for many of hours Straight and it will not lose any strength in the FFB, It's quite and it doesn't even get warm. I played on it for 6 hours straight with no issues or lose in performance.

It seems the price is what holds people back the most from purchasing the T-GT but as me and my friend have shown you can definitely find them for under $600 all day long. After playing with the T-GT for two weeks now I can honestly say its worth every penny. The stock pedals are nice and also come with the conical brake mod if you wish to install it.
However if you have the extra money buy the T3PA-PRO pedal set because they are one of the best pedal sets on the market and their performance is definitely a huge step above the stock pedals. Plus you can set them up GT style.

You know the saying "You get what you pay for" and I absolutely have no regrets paying the price for T-GT and I would do it all over again without any hesitation.

Oh it's very durable around kids also.

Quick question: I'm just about to pull the trigger on the T3PA pedal set. I assume they work fine without the shifter, but should I buy the shifter at the same time? Thoughts and advice appreciated.

For me, the G29 suits my needs just fine for a very reasonable price. Video gaming is nothing more than a hobby and I just can't see the need to spend a lot of money on it when I would rather put that money into my car.

Quick question: I'm just about to pull the trigger on the T3PA pedal set. I assume they work fine without the shifter, but should I buy the shifter at the same time? Thoughts and advice appreciated.

The T3PA-PRO pedals will work absolutely fine without a shifter.
The way GTS does the clutch and shifter is probably one of if not the worst implication done in any racing game. I bought mine just to play around with in GT league and not for online competition. PD has also now made it to where you can't use a shifter in Sport Mode so offline or lobby racing is your only options
Buying a shifter is completely up to you but definitely not necessary.

I'm with you, I dont think it's coincidence that people complain thst the G29 was better on GT6 when it was the official licensed wheel and now it is worse on GT sport than other games when it's not. I wasn't born yesterday

Using a Fanatec CSW 2.5 via a Drive Hub, I wouldn't say it feels nerfed when using it in G29 emulation mode. But maybe it works better with that setup than the G29 itself does, due to being more powerful?

When used with the Drive Hub's Fanatec Native mode, it feels very similar in GT Sport to how it feels in F1 2017 and Project Cars 2. If you turn the game settings down to 1/1 and the wheel up to 100% you get a lot of what people seem to describe as "detail" but I actually hate it, there's so much in the way of really sharp sudden jolts through the wheel, e.g. turning the wheel beyond the limit of traction produces a really violent effect. So I use it with the game set to 10/10 and the wheel turned down to 20, which gives the same effects, just smoothed out so you don't have such sharp jolts coming through the wheel.

Back