NFS Hot Pursuit 3

Is the handling the same as Hot pursuit?

I had the demo for that and hated the way you had to drift around every corner. The handling looks slightly better from the videos...

I love how you have to drift corners in HP3...

I only think the reason why most people on GTP don't like this game is because they refuse to accept that... Ironically, people love Burnout, yet not like how you have to drive basically the same way in this game...

and no the handling is ENTIRELY different in The Run... download the demo yourself.

I did not like the handling in HP3 but like it in "The Run". The run seems like a fun game but seems too short for me but have to wait and see.

Playing through this game atm, I'm amazed by the graphics every time I fire it up and once you get used to the handling, this game becomes so damned fun. The cars look so incredible in the garage, and when selecting them, the start up noise comes, on some cars, like the Diablo SV, that sounds absolutely EPIC! I love just using the cruise mode in this game, driving my Diablo through this beautiful scenery of the game, listening to the engine, and from time to time, when the surroundings drastically change, I just stop, and listen to them. You can hear the wind, waves, ships, all sorts of animals and more.

Love this game.

You know what's great about this game, Alex? You get to hear what cars sound like when they go super super fast.... like the McLaren F1 going over 400km/h.. You don't get to hear this very often.
I did not like the handling in HP3 but like it in "The Run". The run seems like a fun game but seems too short for me but have to wait and see.

The Run's full of technical bugs and doesn't actually take 2 hours to complete... It only takes that long if you do like Easy mode or something... play it on hard when starting off, I spent over 6 hours completing it because I always retried entire events to improve my times.

I've heard that the steering wheel support isn't very good in this title. PS3.

Anyone have any settings they would like to share. Gt2 or G27.

I've put this in my lads Xmas stocking.

Cheers.

It's mechanics are vastly different to just about any driving game you've played before.

And just to give you a sense of what I mean, when you proceed to get a drift going, you can see the front wheels countersteer. During this time, you can be steering left, right or even leave it neutral, but the front wheels will always be steering outwards. What this means is that there is no 1-on-1 direct control of the steering in this game, and "drifting" is the primary way to tackling any corner...

I haven't played on a wheel, but while reading this sample procedure to taking a hairpin, try to translate what would be the equivalent way of steering on a wheel as this what I do on a controller:
-When I drift, I make a hard steer into the turn, let off the gas and then step on it again.
-Car is now out of the driving state and in the drifting state.
-The car is now turning on it's own (If I let the control stick sit on neutral). If I want to tighten it, I would steer into it, and if I want to end the drift early, I would steer outward until it got back into the driving state.
-Cars in general will straighten itself out if I left the control stick on neutral, but I can make a quicker exit speed if I resisted this by steering inwards to slow down the change... I would be flicking the control stick ever so slightly, but as long as it registered any directional input, it would keep the drift going.

Now if you were doing that on a wheel, it'd make no sense.... especially when making smoother exits; flicking the wheel between neutral and the direction you're going.

Playing through this game atm, I'm amazed by the graphics every time I fire it up and once you get used to the handling, this game becomes so damned fun. The cars look so incredible in the garage, and when selecting them, the start up noise comes, on some cars, like the Diablo SV, that sounds absolutely EPIC! I love just using the cruise mode in this game, driving my Diablo through this beautiful scenery of the game, listening to the engine, and from time to time, when the surroundings drastically change, I just stop, and listen to them. You can hear the wind, waves, ships, all sorts of animals and more.

Love this game.

👍 I couldn't have written it better myself :)

The only thing dissappointing was when I was going for a speed record with Veyron and once at max speed I nitro-boosted... and nothing happened :(. It did blink once at 416 km/h but otherwise it stuck to 415.

You know what's great about this game, Alex? You get to hear what cars sound like when they go super super fast.... like the McLaren F1 going over 400km/h.. You don't get to hear this very often.

The Run's full of technical bugs and doesn't actually take 2 hours to complete... It only takes that long if you do like Easy mode or something... play it on hard when starting off, I spent over 6 hours completing it because I always retried entire events to improve my times.

This explanes why I can't beat your times. I was doing the third stage yesterday and you are something like 20+ seconds in front of me. I haven't even finished it yet.

I know and I agree. 👍

The only thing dissappointing was when I was going for a speed record with Veyron and once at max speed I nitro-boosted... and nothing happened :(. It did blink once at 416 km/h but otherwise it stuck to 415.

This, I know too, had been through such a moment too haha. :dopey:

👍 I couldn't have written it better myself :)

On a flat level road, this just doesn't go any faster... take it downhill if you want to drive it any faster.

I've heard that the steering wheel support isn't very good in this title. PS3.

Anyone have any settings they would like to share. Gt2 or G27.

I've put this in my lads Xmas stocking.

Cheers.

I've done most of my HP3 playing on my G27. I found the controller sensitivity to have a weird feeling to it. Made it hard to keep the car going straight and drive accurately to me. When using the wheel I think it only supports around 180 degrees (90 in either direction) but for the arcade style racing this is fine. As far as I can tell there are no available settings that can be adjusted for the wheel or the controller where sensitivity or degrees of rotation are concerned. The force feedback isn't super strong in this game, but given all the chaos its probably for the best haha. Anyway, overall its pretty fun and the wheel support works well enough for this style of gameplay.

I play every Thursdays for Time Trial competitions. I don't play as much now due to school and how easily I beat people online in racing.

Recently set 2:44.64 in Big Timber Forest - Contact Sport. I want to see someone top this, plus this will give you guys something to do :P

Yup. In a small community-ran friendly competition, each week an event is selected and we set the fastest times we can before the event duration is expired.

Since the other half of the players stopped participating, we're doing events don't involve being a cop chasing cars (Police Hot Pursuit and Interceptor)...

This week we're doing a Rapid Response at Big Timber Forest - Contact Sport.
I'm the only one who has submitted a time :grumpy:, played for 1.5 hours for that. Each event ends on Thursday 12pm EST.

http://s7.zetaboards.com/Burnin_Rubber/topic/8405182/1/

I thought I should post some thoughts since it appears that this year's NFS might be from Criterion Games.

Pros:

-Looks and runs brilliantly on a standard 1st gen i7 920 and a 260 GTX 216 sp.

-Driver animation, rotating steering wheels and active aero modelling! 👍👍

-Lure of the (pretty looking) open world and free roam ability.

-Good car list with a decent attempt to appreciate the cars with the production years, prices, simple performance figures, commentary and named paint choices.

-Singleplayer difficulty is decent the 1st time you play.

Cons:

-Maybe a bit too much focus on Multiplayer and not enough Singleplayer events.

-No native support for Anti-aliasing. (Due to something along the lines of only DX9 support and the advanced lighting engine?)

-Does not seem to run well on dual-core processors when there is a full grid and police in the event.

-'Hidden' launch DLC even in the PC version. (The Dr Pepper cars and the Rebel pack cars are unlocked in a special PC "EA crew" version for certain EA employees.)

-The physics are perhaps a bit too drift friendly and feel identical to Burnout: Paradise. Cars cannot do proper donuts too. The steering feel feels a bit sloppy to me. (Use a keyboard but felt sloppy in the PS3 demo, the original Hot Pursuit and High Stakes felt a bit sloppy too though.)

-The roads generally feel too wide and coupled with the physics can make the game feel a bit too 'simple'.

-Why are there no bonus events where we can drive the (licensed) traffic vehicles like with Most Wanted and Carbon's challenge series? (Or even the codes allowing one to do so like in the older NFSs.)

-Cannot choose if we want to drive with convertible roofs up or down. (Had the choice in High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed.)

-A lack of consistency in car modelling (a recurring theme in my ((many) hour long) posts).

For example:

The offset for the rear wheels of the 8Cs, Reventon, Murcielagos, Maserati GT S and the 911 Turbo are modelled but not for the GranCabrio or the 370Z or the GT3 RS or the 911 Targa or the XKR or the.....

The wheels of the 911 Targa, GT3 RS, Cayman S and Boxster Spyder seem to 'balloon' out too much towards the center (and lack the added rear offset).

The wheels of the Turbo Cabrio are similar to the Panamera's ("Turbo II" design at 19 inch versus 20 inch) yet those on the latter don't quite look right. (Same problem in "The Run" with the 1M coupe and the M3 GTS.)

The wheels of the Carrera GT look too small in diameter and should have different colour center caps on each side. (Shift series got this sort of right.)

The rear wheels of the SuperVeloce seem smaller than the fronts while those of the standard LP640 seem bigger. (They should all be 18 inch.)

And many more!

(I will admit car wheel modelling does seem to be a problem with many games and HP does get some right. The R8s and the non LP560-4 coupe variants' wheels look good for example.)

-Engine sounds are surprisingly 'meh'. Apart from maybe the Boxster Spyder and RX8, engines are too soft in volume and don't sound that good. (Even after the patch which was supposed to resolve the volume issue.)

I was particularly disappointed with the Maseratis, Alfa Romeos, Zondas, V12 Lambos and the Koenigseggs.

-Wonky tiering and performance characteristics

The only cars which shift like they have double-clutch transmissions are the 911 Targa and the Veyrons. No love for the Evo X or Z4 35is among others?

I feel that some cars should be shifted around the tiers. There are also too many in tier 3.

Should cars like the Gallardo Superleggera, 918 Spyder and SL65 Black be shifted to tier 4 since there are 'slower' cars in there like the Continental Supersports and the Ford GT?

Should the Cayman S and Challenger SRT8 be 1 tier better than the Boxster Spyder and Charger SRT8? (The Cayman has better aero and may have the 7-speed PDK but less power to weight and less aggressive suspension. The Challenger has a 6-speed manual compared to the 5-speed auto Charger)

As a whole, should cars be tiered according to, performance on a certain race track, straight line performance or some combination of 1/4 mile trap speed, max lateral G and the like?

The 911 Turbo S Cabrio looks and 'drives' more like a non-S Turbo Cabrio.
(Missing S badge, center-lock wheels...)

How about the M6 convertible compared with the XKR and the GT500?

Some cars adhere to manufacturer speed limiters like the TT RS and the XKR (280 Kmh with optional performance packages) but cars like the Shelby GT500 (249 standard, I believe) and the M6 convertible (250 standard) are derestricted to 298 and 336 (!!) respectively.

Then you have Evo Xs that cannot top 244, STis that easily top 265, Carrera GTs that struggle to reach 330, slightly overpowered/god-like Veyrons......

Since this is an arcade racer, I feel cars should have completely derestricted top speeds like in Most Wanted, Gran Turismo 5 and some others. I understand that the extra 6th/7th gears in most cars are to take advantage of the Nitrous system. Since there is such a system, why not make the cars perform 'optimally' according to their horsepower and gearing without speed limiters and continue using the Nitrous to balance them within their tiers?

Heavy cars = strong
Slow cars = super Nitrous system
Fast and strong = hard to drive or lousy Nitrous
Something along those lines. (Yes, I know Criterion already did something like that. :))

Conclusion:

Frankly, I think I am alone regarding most of the cons. The game is very good and easily the best NFS in a while (Shift 2 did not fix enough problems of the first (it can be modded and somewhat fixed though) and 'The Run' was disappointing and cannot be modded).

I would still give this game around 8.5 out of 10 :)

Can anyone get the margin scale setting to work in this game?

I've got it on PS3 and its just supposed to change how far in the HUD is but instead makes the whole game image go smaller. Is this a glitch?

Its really weird for me, when I decrease the margin scale the whole image on screen shrinks and has a black letterbox around all 4 sides. It will then stay like that in menu, in game and everywhere else! I'l try to get a picture to explain next time I'm on.

Back